New Website Design Being Implemented July 27th

Hey all,

Managing Editor of Video, Nick Calandra here. Tomorrow (Sat July 27th) we will be updating the main website design. The site will go into maintenance mode around 9 PM CST tomorrow evening as we implement the new design.

Sunday we'll be using the day to hear your feedback, make updates and fix any issues as they appear.

We'll see you then!

Many thanks for letting us know in advance!
Sounds like it could be promising. Here's to hoping.

Owners might also want to look into changing out old entrenched Moderators as well though. ,)
The rules as well as the hidden list of taboo-words could do with a make-over too.

Just going to ask for a bit of clarification;

The 5 articles showing on top ( the big one on the top and the four little ones beneath them ), are they the latest 5 articles chronologically or are they pinned there by staff? I assume the latter?

Scrolling down there is a "THE LATEST" section, are these the actual latest posts sorted in chronological order?

Talking about the "THE LATEST" section, where does it end exactly? Does it end after Critical Miss: 83 or after Insurgency Documentary Series Teaser | Gameumentary?

Why are there horizontal lines between the first few items under "THE LATEST", but none under the items beneath Critical Miss: 83? Are these items supposed to be their own separate section?

Why does the "Newest Angel Has Fallen Trailer Reveals Plenty of Guns and Explosions bit break the layout convention of news items above and underneath it?

Why does it use a bigger picture, have its text beneath said picture and why does it have a box tag inside the picture whereas all other items in the list have a text tag? This coupled with the Critical Mix 83 item not having a picture at all, makes the list look really messy.

Could you guys up the contrast between different sections? I appreciate how "ORIGINAL VIDEO SERIES" has a light grey background, but it's hardly distinguishable from the white background.

Considering Yahtzee was, is and will be the site's biggest draw you should probably give him a spot of his own on the front page. Right now it doesn't have a single mention of him or his work.

bluegate:
Just going to ask for a bit of clarification;

The 5 articles showing on top ( the big one on the top and the four little ones beneath them ), are they the latest 5 articles chronologically or are they pinned there by staff? I assume the latter?

Scrolling down there is a "THE LATEST" section, are these the actual latest posts sorted in chronological order?

Talking about the "THE LATEST" section, where does it end exactly? Does it end after Critical Miss: 83 or after Insurgency Documentary Series Teaser | Gameumentary?

Why are there horizontal lines between the first few items under "THE LATEST", but none under the items beneath Critical Miss: 83? Are these items supposed to be their own separate section?

Why does the "Newest Angel Has Fallen Trailer Reveals Plenty of Guns and Explosions bit break the layout convention of news items above and underneath it?

Why does it use a bigger picture, have its text beneath said picture and why does it have a box tag inside the picture whereas all other items in the list have a text tag? This coupled with the Critical Mix 83 item not having a picture at all, makes the list look really messy.

Could you guys up the contrast between different sections? I appreciate how "ORIGINAL VIDEO SERIES" has a light grey background, but it's hardly distinguishable from the white background.

The top 5 articles will be featured posts. Those will be like our big stories of the week area. It'll be more clear once we've gotten new posts in using the updated look.

Updated the latest section as I do agree that big article might confuse some people, originally it was just meant to vary things up a little bit. The Latest is all our chronological posts in order by publish date. Updating to just a consistent look should have fixed a number of your issues.

Johnny Novgorod:
Considering Yahtzee was, is and will be the site's biggest draw you should probably give him a spot of his own on the front page. Right now it doesn't have a single mention of him or his work.

Planning on this. I want to add like a "HUB" image link for Zero Punctuation, just need to create the art asset for it. Also planning to embed livestreams on the homepage when they happen.

The first thing that was very noticeable was the load time. It is loading much faster than before and it is currently very simple and clean in appearance.

I honestly think you guys are going to nuke the forums and start from scratch. I don't see how it will be ported over to the new layout.

Marik2:
I honestly think you guys are going to nuke the forums and start from scratch. I don't see how it will be ported over to the new layout.

As I noted in the off-topic, this is not the plan to do so. I understand communication has not been a strong point here for a long time, but I will communicate the plan for the forums when we are ready. It's not something we've even started on yet as we need to make sure the main site is in working order first.

When we explore what options we have and have some solutions, it will be communicated. The new layout also has nothing to do with the forums, we can host them outside of Wordpress on their own platform via Xenforo and make the design look similar.

It's more of a matter of, can we export everything here and make it compatible. We don't know the answer to that yet.

So much white. My eyes hurt.

Oh my god, it actually looks like a website now. Lovely!

I will echo the above post, there is a LOT of white void space. It could definitely use something to help give it a little bit of flair somehow. Maybe something along the sides, or just a broader use of the space?

For a more personal feedback... I have a few things. When I click on the Zero Punctuation tab on the header bar, it takes me to the ZP page. But it still has stuff from his Dev Diaries and other content, exactly like if I were to click onto the author/yahtzee page URL. Both are pretty much exactly the same, with the author page having the addition of his bio as well. I feel if I click the Zero Punctuation header in the Video Series category, it should give me ZP content exclusively. The Dev Diary section does, so there's an odd overlap with the ZP and Yahtzee author page.

Further to the above, I'd very much enjoy the ability to browse the ZP content (Or any content in general, ZP is just my go-to) in either a list view like it is currently, or a grid view like it used to be. Yahtzee and several other content creators have a HUGE backlog, so having to scroll page after page after page after page that only allows 12 things to be on it at a time would be an extremely huge hassle if, say, I wanted to find a specific review, or just find something in the middle of his catalogue of videos.

I tried to do a search for a specific review of his using the search bar function, and it seems to need some serious tweaking.
I searched for Left 4 Dead, as an example in this next suggestion. Not only did searching for Left 4 Dead not find his video on it, but even adding "Zero Punctuation" on the search didn't either. This only reinforces the need for my second suggestion. I can't find a specific review very easily this way, and the search bar won't help me.
The search should show everything related to it including video content, or at the very least if I use it while in a specific category, it'll search that category and show the results. Right now though, it's tough to find something specific. I tried searching Left 4 Dead a second time and browsed the 6 pages of search results it gave me. Once again, not a single ZP to be found, and instead I got 6 pages of 100% unrelated content to what I searched, even as far as going back to Sonic the Hedgehog stuff. Somehow.

That's what I've come across so far. I'll add more if I find it!

Elvis Starburst:
Oh my god, it actually looks like a website now. Lovely!

I will echo the above post, there is a LOT of white void space. It could definitely use something to help give it a little bit of flair somehow. Maybe something along the sides, or just a broader use of the space?

For a more personal feedback... I have a few things. When I click on the Zero Punctuation tab on the header bar, it takes me to the ZP page. But it still has stuff from his Dev Diaries and other content, exactly like if I were to click onto the author/yahtzee page URL. Both are pretty much exactly the same, with the author page having the addition of his bio as well. I feel if I click the Zero Punctuation header in the Video Series category, it should give me ZP content exclusively. The Dev Diary section does, so there's an odd overlap with the ZP and Yahtzee author page.

Further to the above, I'd very much enjoy the ability to browse the ZP content (Or any content in general, ZP is just my go-to) in either a list view like it is currently, or a grid view like it used to be. Yahtzee and several other content creators have a HUGE backlog, so having to scroll page after page after page after page that only allows 12 things to be on it at a time would be an extremely huge hassle if, say, I wanted to find a specific review, or just find something in the middle of his catalogue of videos.

I tried to do a search for a specific review of his using the search bar function, and it seems to need some serious tweaking.
I searched for Left 4 Dead, as an example in this next suggestion. Not only did searching for Left 4 Dead not find his video on it, but even adding "Zero Punctuation" on the search didn't either. This only reinforces the need for my second suggestion. I can't find a specific review very easily this way, and the search bar won't help me.
The search should show everything related to it including video content, or at the very least if I use it while in a specific category, it'll search that category and show the results. Right now though, it's tough to find something specific. I tried searching Left 4 Dead a second time and browsed the 6 pages of search results it gave me. Once again, not a single ZP to be found, and instead I got 6 pages of 100% unrelated content to what I searched, even as far as going back to Sonic the Hedgehog stuff. Somehow.

That's what I've come across so far. I'll add more if I find it!

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I have to reorganize some of the stuff to get it to be ZP only, finishing that up today. The site is built on Wordpress and the previous setup had a very weird way of organizing posts, I'm trying to get everything to just be a category instead of how it currently is via "Content Type" and "Series".

That affects the tagging system as well which is why you're having a hard time searching content, and for older content, I'm not sure that's something we can easily fix.

The category pages I can update and we're creating a Zero Punctuation art asset today for like a media hub link on the front page right above the video series section. Changing the layout of that page to a grid is no problem and I'll do that for all video series today.

As for the white space, yea, it's a bit much, but we also have to leave room for advertisers. I may have a background color added so it's a bit more similar to the previous site, but we have to get some code implemented for the ads first.

Nick Calandra:

Johnny Novgorod:

Planning on this. I want to add like a "HUB" image link for Zero Punctuation, just need to create the art asset for it. Also planning to embed livestreams on the homepage when they happen.

I'm gonna go ahead and tell you that back when the Escapist started running streams on the main page, pretty much everybody here hated it for being an auto-playing video. Strong, strong preference that the stream asks permission before beginning to play. Failing that, a user option to opt-out of autoplaying streams.

SupahEwok:

Nick Calandra:

Johnny Novgorod:

I'm gonna go ahead and tell you that back when the Escapist started running streams on the main page, pretty much everybody here hated it for being an auto-playing video. Strong, strong preference that the stream asks permission before beginning to play. Failing that, a user option to opt-out of autoplaying streams.

Hm, yea I'd prefer it not to be auto play as well. Maybe we'll just make a Streaming page with a embedded chat.

Nick Calandra:

SupahEwok:

Nick Calandra:

Hm, yea I'd prefer it not to be auto play as well. Maybe we'll just make a Streaming page with a embedded chat.

You're a pretty cool dude.

Nick Calandra:

Yeah, autoplay ANYTHING is an instant way for me to do whatever I need to do to make sure it never does it again, whatever means that may be. The streaming page with embedded chat sounds like a cool idea though, might be something I'd check out.

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I have to reorganize some of the stuff to get it to be ZP only, finishing that up today. The site is built on Wordpress and the previous setup had a very weird way of organizing posts, I'm trying to get everything to just be a category instead of how it currently is via "Content Type" and "Series".

That affects the tagging system as well which is why you're having a hard time searching content, and for older content, I'm not sure that's something we can easily fix.

The category pages I can update and we're creating a Zero Punctuation art asset today for like a media hub link on the front page right above the video series section. Changing the layout of that page to a grid is no problem and I'll do that for all video series today.

As for the white space, yea, it's a bit much, but we also have to leave room for advertisers. I may have a background color added so it's a bit more similar to the previous site, but we have to get some code implemented for the ads first.

That was very informative! Glad to hear that the search stuff is already being taken care of in some way.
I understand the advertisers need their share. Just anything to help reduce the amount of off-white, either by some stuff on the sides or a background effect is good. Thanks for looking into it though!
I'm also very excited to hear the grid option will be coming back as well. That'll definitely be my default.

Can't wait to see how it progresses further!

Elvis Starburst:

Nick Calandra:

Yeah, autoplay ANYTHING is an instant way for me to do whatever I need to do to make sure it never does it again, whatever means that may be. The streaming page with embedded chat sounds like a cool idea though, might be something I'd check out.

That was very informative! Glad to hear that the search stuff is already being taken care of in some way.
I understand the advertisers need their share. Just anything to help reduce the amount of off-white, either by some stuff on the sides or a background effect is good. Thanks for looking into it though!
I'm also very excited to hear the grid option will be coming back as well. That'll definitely be my default.

Can't wait to see how it progresses further!

Yea, search should work fine for all new stuff we do, but without going back and manually tagging everything, it may not be feasible for older stuff unfortunately.

Video pages have been updated with grid format and an ajax load more button so you don't have to scroll though an obnoxious number of pages.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/category/zero-punctuation/

Nick Calandra:

Yea, search should work fine for all new stuff we do, but without going back and manually tagging everything, it may not be feasible for older stuff unfortunately.

Would manually tagging them do the trick, or is it more complex than that?

Video pages have been updated with grid format and an ajax load more button so you don't have to scroll though an obnoxious number of pages.

That's lovely looking! Just like what I was hoping for. Though it is weird that it says "load more news" when they're videos, haha. Other than that, works great! I assume the older videos past 2018 will be added along eventually as well?

Elvis Starburst:

Nick Calandra:

Would manually tagging them do the trick, or is it more complex than that?

That's lovely looking! Just like what I was hoping for. Though it is weird that it says "load more news" when they're videos, haha. Other than that, works great! I assume the older videos past 2018 will be added along eventually as well?

Manually tagging yes, could work, but we'd need to subject some poor soul to go do it. Heh.

As for the rest of the videos, probably won't port them over no. They'd have to be, again, manually inputted into our system. Easiest way to get them all is through the YouTube playlist. That I can add a link to the page for.

Let's just say neither V1 or V2 thought too far ahead in the future if we would ever need to update designs lol.

Nick Calandra:

Manually tagging yes, could work, but we'd need to subject some poor soul to go do it. Heh.

As for the rest of the videos, probably won't port them over no. They'd have to be, again, manually inputted into our system. Easiest way to get them all is through the YouTube playlist. That I can add a link to the page for.

Let's just say neither V1 or V2 thought too far ahead in the future if we would ever need to update designs lol.

Hmm, that's too bad. Maybe in the distant future then. Glad to see it coming along though! Looking forward to any further updates. I'm also quite excited about the forum changes too

Bit specialised, but how have you guys categorised Critical Mix? It doesn't pop up under any of the headings currently at the top of the page so its been taken out of Features I guess. Searching for it seems to have it listed under 'Comics' but thats a category that's not in the frontpage headings. Assuming you still have Critical Mix on the payroll, you seem to have made them invisible

Palindromemordnilap:
Bit specialised, but how have you guys categorised Critical Mix? It doesn't pop up under any of the headings currently at the top of the page so its been taken out of Features I guess. Searching for it seems to have it listed under 'Comics' but thats a category that's not in the frontpage headings. Assuming you still have Critical Mix on the payroll, you seem to have made them invisible

Critical Mix has been cut from the line-up at the end of July. It'll be archived, but I need to put a page together for it.

Nick Calandra:

Critical Mix has been cut from the line-up at the end of July. It'll be archived, but I need to put a page together for it.

Dang, that's, like... the second that's happened to them in the time they've been here on this site. What went down this time?

Elvis Starburst:

Nick Calandra:

Dang, that's, like... the second that's happened to them in the time they've been here on this site. What went down this time?

Just budget shifting. Nothing personal or bad, we're just going to be trying new things over the next few months. I'd love to have them back as I know there's a lot of longtime fans, but for now, we're working on some big cool projects.

I dunno if this is the best place to bring this up but I've discovered one bug of sorts and I have one question:

The bug of sorts is that the Big Picture video Q & A from early October last year is not part of the line-up.

The question is if the Game Overthinker videos is available somewhere on this site or if we'll have to make do with scrolling through the Escapist's Youtube page?

Bedinsis:
I dunno if this is the best place to bring this up but I've discovered one bug of sorts and I have one question:

The bug of sorts is that the Big Picture video Q & A from early October last year is not part of the line-up.

The question is if the Game Overthinker videos is available somewhere on this site or if we'll have to make do with scrolling through the Escapist's Youtube page?

We had to transfer over all videos manually with the new design, so might have missed one. I'll check on that soon (currently in Vancouver on doc shoot).

There's a playlist for Game OverThinker on YouTube so you don't have to scroll though the videos page. I'll add it to the Archive link drop down on the main navigation on the website though as well, meant to do that, just forgot.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here