What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 NEXT

an annoyed writer:
I?m playing through Far Cry 5. It?s decent, and I love the setting (it feels like home :D ) but I find the story and villains rather lackluster. The ?canon ? ending just feels like a bad hallucination to me.

Also playing through Farcry 5. The setting is cool, but I've had repeated run-ins with awful (and I mean awful) AI. I've had to restart maybe a half dozen missions so far due to dumb as hell NPCs standing right next to mission objectives and just not triggering them. I had to restart one mission a total of eight (eight!!) times because the guy that was meant to get into the chopper would just stand next to it for minutes at a time without even acknowledging it's existence. The AI also seems to have an uncanny knack of knowing where you are as well. Obviously if I open fire on an enclosure from the north it's perfectly acceptable for the AI to search the area to the north, but if I (silently) take out a guard on the west side before stealthing around to the north so as to get a different angle, it just smacks of bullshit that when the body of the guard is discovered some two or three minutes later that the AI sends all of it's search parties to the exact part of the woods I'm now set up in. Oh, and I'm only about 4 hours into the game, which should put the number of AI glitches into perspective.

To summarise: Setting - Great. Story/Characters - Ok. Gameplay - Nothing new. AI - Dogshit.
Conclusion? Thankfully I got it when it was on sale.

Johnny Novgorod:

CaitSeith:
I decided to give Doom a second chance... on the Switch. I'm kinda enjoying more on the go, although my FPS skills aren't as good with the Switch controllers than with mouse & keyboard (like Polygon levels of not good). I already passed the point where I stopped the last time.

Why buy again a FPS game you already own but didn't bother finishing on a console with a controller handicap?

The controller handicap made the gameplay more interesting. And the console is portable, which makes it easier to stop playing and continue later exactly where I left (like the original Doom) instead of having to restart always at the last checkpoint.

It was also on sale.

Speaking of Switch games on sale, I also bought The Coma: Recut, a Korean indie survival horror game that I'm playing for morbid curiosity.

It's pretty unnerving for a T-rated game, but other than that, so far it seems to be your middle-of-the-road Silent Hill clone (which is OK for me, as the school was my favorite part in SH).

Dalisclock:

I totally see where you're coming from. I think I enjoyed the Walky/Talky bits a lot more then a lot of the "Avoid the clickers/bandits" sections. I overall enjoyed the game but it has flaws(which I could go into but I won't for the sake of brevity) and I do find it a bit overpraised at times. Not to mention it's hard to care if humanity survives at this point, considering almost all of them are either violent lunatics(The entire population of Pittsburgh/the cannibals)) or complete assholes(The Fireflies/most of Boston).

If you're on you're third attempt and you really aren't enjoying it, don't force it. It's probably not gonna get magically better the 3rd or 4th time.

Well, against your advice (and my own better judgement) I saw the game to the end last night and I am pretty much done with the franchise. I'm not sure why I put myself through something I started fairly indifferent to and ended up really not liking very much. Maybe I was trying to see why everyone thinks it's so great. But by about halfway through, by the hotel bit I think, I'd pretty much abandoned stealth and was rewarded with plenty of ammo for each gun as well as other supplies. Then by the winter bit where Ellie is separated from David in the factory and there are Clickers wandering around. I nearly rage quit, THE CLICKERS SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SEE YOU IF YOU ARE STOOD TOTALLY STILL!!!! Which happened a couple of times. I was stood still, a Clicker walked around the corner and attacked me on sight. Play by the rules you set out game.

The setting is interesting, the story is nice but predictable, but I'm done now, I have no interest in the sequel.

Now I will play something fun, not sure what yet, but Valkyria Chronicles 4 is out on Tuesday, it'll probably be that.

Catfood220:

(...)

Now I will play something fun, not sure what yet, but Valkyria Chronicles 4 is out on Tuesday, it'll probably be that.

I think Ive had enough of Battle for Azeroth for the time being, and im a bit burnt out with Heroes of the Storm.

I just completed Spider-Man PS4, and that was a pretty solid game - now im trying to find something else to sink my teeth into.

I got Two Point Hospital, and that was fun for about 2 hours - before I just got super bored of it.

Now im trying AC: Origins, but getting that to launch on my PC is like Roulette for some reason - it seems pretty decent though, even if the world map does look a bit intimidating. The game is also super hungry for CPU power.

On another note, I just bought the TellTale TWD Final Season yesterday... then the news broke. Not really sure what is going on with that one.

Laggyteabag:

On another note, I just bought the TellTale TWD Final Season yesterday... then the news broke. Not really sure what is going on with that one.

Can you ask for a refund, on the grounds there is no expectation of getting completed?

I have no idea if that would be considered a legitimate reason for a refund or not, considering that's one of the risk of episodic gaming.

I'm playing:

One of my favourite Bad Games, Dead Island. I honestly don't know why I keep returning to this series, I must be a masochist. Having completed both games on 360 I'm now playing the remastered version on Xb1, and trying to get the last few achievements so I can put it back on the proverbial shelf for a good, long time.

Gears of War 4. I was a big fan of the series but held off getting Gears 4 until it was literally given away free with Game Pass. It's a sequel that really shouldn't have been made, but I'm happy that they've put at least a token effort into progressing the setting and made some important tonal and gameplay settings, unlike another series-that-should-have-been-a-trilogy, Halo. Played campaign, enjoyed it for the silly mess it is. Still can't stand competitive play. Horde is ok, if awfully grindy once you start levelling up skill cards.

Halo Master Chief Collection. Again I'm not really sure why I'm retreading such contemptuously familiar ground here; I played the first original trilogy plus Reach to absolute death back in the day. Morbid curiosity to see how poorly they have aged, maybe. I'm halfway through the first game and conflicted as all hell about whether I like the remastered graphics or not.

Mostly Final Fantasy 7. The first time I played it, I didn't really get it, but this time I'm enjoying it a lot more.

I also just picked up A Hat In Time on Steam, and I don't think it's legal for anything to be that cute.

Just hacked through Singularity as it had been sitting in my library for awhile now. Played it on XBOX360 but got frustrated with the phase ticks (the most annoying thing in any FPS game, numerous little creatures that rush up to you and explode).

This time round, finished it in about 3 sittings, absolutely piss easy, maybe it's because I played with KB&Mouse, but I think I died maybe twice or 3 times the most, none of them in boss encounters. Fun game with decent graphics for its time, just a very dull color palate but that's probably to do with the setting (post power-plant explosion/war in Russia type deal, yes it's been done far better), gameplay pretty straightforward shooter with few simple puzzle elements and very linear. Everything was just ok, can't fault it majorly except for the 2 weapon limit being a bit unnecessary and doing nothing but detracting from the fun, as I always carried an assault rifle "just in case". Story is enjoyable enough, tries to throw twists at you but they are a bit too predictable really. Seems like everyone put in a very good effort regardless, game was quite polished, the powers are very cool in concept but a bit underwhelming in combat, I think it's a bit tough with these kinds of games to stand out and make it cool, fun, and part of the challenge.

As a side note here, I will rank my favorite time manipulation FPS games, based on this aspect:
1. Dishonored (implemented very well)
2. Max Payne (the pioneer)
3. Timeshift (not the most innovative, just very satisfying)
4. Quantum Break (the coolest effects)
5. Singularity (nicely done, and incorporated a bit into puzzles, but doesn't offer that much in terms of combat, except for mutating soldiers to turn them on each other, aging them to death, and stopping bullets/freezing guys)

Overall, still a fun game to blast through, just make sure you play on Hard difficulty, even first time round. I give it a solid 7/10

Finished The Coma: Recut (at least got the fourth ending). It's pretty average, but I swear there are M-rated games that are more restrained in their creepiness (and school-girl body count) than this T-rated game.

Now I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy and, oh boy! What a trip has been!

Dalisclock:

Laggyteabag:

Can you ask for a refund, on the grounds there is no expectation of getting completed?

I have no idea if that would be considered a legitimate reason for a refund or not, considering that's one of the risk of episodic gaming.

Probably. The storepage lists "Includes access to all 4 episodes (Episode 1 available at launch, Episodes 2-4 coming soon)." (the game is still being sold, by the way), and if they dont deliver on episodes 3 and 4, im sure that I can get at least a 50% refund.

I wouldnt want the game to be removed, though. I love The Walking Dead, and Im sure that the game will be removed from sale at some point - after the finally clarify if the game will ever be finished or not. So, I'd like to keep it as a bit of gaming history.

Not to mention that it is actually damned good. If the quality of the first episode is indicative of (whats left) of the season, it will easily rank near the top of Telltale's best work. And thats what sucks the most about this whole scenario, from how it impacts me, at least.

Laggyteabag:

Dalisclock:

Laggyteabag:

Probably. The storepage lists "Includes access to all 4 episodes (Episode 1 available at launch, Episodes 2-4 coming soon)." (the game is still being sold, by the way), and if they dont deliver on episodes 3 and 4, im sure that I can get at least a 50% refund.

I wouldnt want the game to be removed, though. I love The Walking Dead, and Im sure that the game will be removed from sale at some point - after the finally clarify if the game will ever be finished or not. So, I'd like to keep it as a bit of gaming history.

Not to mention that it is actually damned good. If the quality of the first episode is indicative of (whats left) of the season, it will easily rank near the top of Telltale's best work. And thats what sucks the most about this whole scenario, from how it impacts me, at least.

I know. I was really looking forward to the final season and was pretty much just waiting until it was nearly complete to pick it up(Episodic games in general have taught me that it's often best to wait until a studio proves they can release on a fairly consistant basis or wait until all of the episodes are complete to buy). Now I'm sad that it will never be completed, so whatever happens at the end of Ep2 will essentially be the finale.

Hopped into Monster Hunter World and got most of the Autumn Festival stuff done. Nothing really burning down the hype content wise. Other then the somewhat mechanically questionable FF14 crossover monster fight, they've been in a bit of a rut with "Arch Tempered" Elder Dragons that are just giant hp bloats (the stupidest type of challenge).

Destiny 2 : Forsaken. Which someone saw fit to gift to me.

(some thoughts/review, generally spoiler free, but compressed to not bloat the post)

Probably checking out the big Absolver update today.

I'm still plowing through DQ11 (love it), having just finished The Messenger (love it), and pretty much abandoning Dead Cells after getting wrecked by the final boss on the 1 run in like 20 I didn't die instantly from Malaise (both on Switch).

I just got Reigns on Switch too and love it. It has both games in the series in one, and I prefer the Queen game.

The original King game is good too, but the method to get the best ending is a pain due to the fact that it doesn't seem to work for me.

Played a bit more of Dark Souls 3 last night and have progressed enough around the High Wall and surrounding areas below it to get a decent feel for the mechanics. Quite pleasingly it's definitely feeling like the most refined of SoulsBorne titles, and I'm really digging the added tactical nature of Weapons Skills (Arts?). The feedback of holding down L2 for a stance change feels so analog and smooth I get giddy every time I use it. I also like how fast paced it is, even next to Bloodborne. I still love that game, but I think DS3 might have outdone it simply due to the added variety and fact that Weapon Arts seem to have more useful augments. I'm already using them more than I ever used trick weapons in Bloodborne even though it costs FP.

I also remember hearing that DS3 is just spamming R1, but the only way I could see that being accurate is against defenseless enemies, and because the speed of the game encourages it moreso than in DS1 or 2. Half the time though I'm facing enemies who either have a shield which requires a guard break via shove or FP move, better positioning or baiting an opening, or other times when enemies have enough poise to break through your weaker attacks. In any case even scrub DS3 enemies wipe the floor with their earlier equivalents.

But yeah, really enjoying the combat thus far, and the opening main areas pleasantly remind me of a mixture of Demons Souls Boletaria, Bloodborne's Yharnam, and DS1's Undead Burg/Parish.

Finished Dead Space 2 on NG+, now I'm playing Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal (also on NG+).

Playing the withcher 3, it's my first of the series since I never had a good enough pc to play the other 2 but I'm keeping up with the plot and enjoying it thoroughly. I just finished the baron main quest which feels pretty early-game based on levels (only lvl 12 or so) but I've played a good 40 hours already which means the game is huge and I enjoy how the storytelling seems to shift based on your choices. I ended up killing the first girl I bedded in that game through some unfortunate turn of events and I ended up letting a ghost escape and it killed someone so I felt so guilty XD. Great game.

Will take a break from it starting tomorrow though cause Valkyria Chronicles 4 is arriving then according to amazon and I've waited for another main console VC game for a good decade or so.

I'm replaying Bravely Default. I didn't manage to finish it last time because of JRPG burn out (that time I finished FFIII for the DS right before starting BD). Changing to new jobs is always a bitter-sweet experience. You get to try new abilities and attacks, but your attack power always is lower compared to your old jobs, and you need to level it up (at least you can level up your jobs faster with stronger enemies, unlike with FFIII).

Still playing Super Mario Odyssey too. So far it feels like Mario 64 in steroids.

i'm 50 hours in octopath traveler. so far very fun game. i also got my hands on mario tennis, just to when i have not so much time to play

Right now I'm mostly playing Smite, PuBG and CrossCode. CrossCode is the best, go play it.

Bioshock: Remastered and Dark Souls 1. For Bioshock I have been trying to finish up the remaining achievements I am missing, only have like, 4 left. Dark Souls I am playing through on Xbox One (the 360 version though) cause I have the excuse of trying to get all the achievements there, since I already 100% it on Steam. Currently at Blighttown, and though I dont think it is the worst part of the game like most do, I did die discouragingly and might not play for a few days now.

Just platted God of War: Ghost of Sparta (fuck the Keres Wraiths) and God of War II before that, so now I'm either going after GoW1 or III.

CaitSeith:
Speaking of Switch games on sale, I also bought The Coma: Recut, a Korean indie survival horror game that I'm playing for morbid curiosity.

It's pretty unnerving for a T-rated game, but other than that, so far it seems to be your middle-of-the-road Silent Hill clone (which is OK for me, as the school was my favorite part in SH).

The game is decent but it doesn't touch Corpse Party, definitely try it if you haven't yet.

I've been rotating lately between Mafia 3, Mad Max, and Dark Souls 3 on PS4, but most recently got back into The Witcher 3 on PC and ultimately MGSV on PS4 just last night. Practically forgot how much fun those last two were; the former for its vast sense exploration and yarn spinning narrative, and the latter for its vast sense of tactical freedom and immersive depth of (mostly) butter-smooth, interconnected gameplay systems. It's one I'd love to Platinum if I had the time, and considering there is technically one online trophy (well, two if you want to minimize grinding resources) it gives urgency should Konami decide to pull the plug unannounced. It wouldn't be surprising.

I plan on making MGSV and The Witcher 3 my new mainstays, as I've been with those series from the beginning and DS3 was released the year after. The initial two I mentioned are still fun (especially Mad Max for its sense of physicality and attention to detail, and Mafia 3 has an interesting story), but I have no problem taking my time with them.

Some more AC Origins and you know, its actually a lot of fun. Im still not sure if Im sold on the setting, but Ubisoft wanted to make AC a whole lot more like The Witcher 3, and they have certainly done a commendable job.

Ultimately, I'd still rather play TW3, because even though the combat is better in Origins, the story, characters and production values do feel a lot weaker in comparison. But hey, good job.

I'll probably see this through to completion. Then, onto some kind of CRPG I think - probably Pillars of Eternity.

I finished OOT(only 20 years late to the party on that one). I enjoyed it a lot even if it took a while to grab me and I don't think it's the GOAT it's made to be by some. I also kept thinking how FROM was apparently inspired by Zelda when making the Soulsborne games and I can the inspiration there.

Finally got around to playing Assasins Creed: Syndicate. I've cleared the Whitechapel District and did the Kenway Mansion and so far....It's solid. I'm enjoying it. It's just not terribly unique or creative in any way so far, even for this series. It revived the "Conquer the City" thing from Brotherhood/Revelations/3/Rogue(Unity? Did Unity do it? I skipped Unity) and added a RPG skill tree mechanic. I like these games, despite their flaws, so I'm down with the core loop even if the story is fairly meh at this point, though the real reason is because I want to catch up before I play Odyessy in a few months and I feel like should play this before I play Origins(which I also haven't gotten around to yet).

As a side note, I appreciate the whole wanting to show more diversity in the characters, but having 50% of the gangs be female comes across as a tad immersion breaking in a place and time where womens equality wasn't really a thing. Though it's really a minor issue considering this is a game about batmanning your way to a magical pre-human object so yeah.

Total War: Rome 2...

Didn't think my laptop would be able to run it... but it can, quite smoothly too... battle interface annoys me, but the strategy level gameplay is pretty good. A bit too complicated for my liking, but I like it well enough. Half a dozen turns in and I get why the Spartan campaign is rated as difficult...

Darksiders...

'Cos it was cheap on GoG.com... got it on PS3, too, but eh... the controls are weirdly mapped, but I've only just passed the prologue. Mindless silliness on the way...

Bioshock 2...in between the crashes.

I never played it until recently, though I played and loved Bioshock forever ago. When it works I am really enjoying it, though it is even more linear than 1 was and that kinda annoys me.

I think I am near the end, so then I can eventually finally move on to Infinite and see what the big deal is.

Saelune:

I never played it until recently, though I played and loved Bioshock forever ago. When it works I am really enjoying it, though it is even more linear than 1 was and that kinda annoys me.

I think I am near the end, so then I can eventually finally move on to Infinite and see what the big deal is.

Infinite is a huge mixed bag. I am surprised that Yatzhee liked it, when it has even more watered down gameplay than the first one.

Marik2:

Saelune:

Infinite is a huge mixed bag. I am surprised that Yatzhee liked it, when it has even more watered down gameplay than the first one.

Not wanting to bang Elizabeth may hinder my enjoyment of the game. All the firggen 'art' on Steam for Bioshock 1 is Elizabeth, usually sexual. SHES NOT EVEN IN THE GAME DAMMIT! Keep it to the Infinite 'art' section.

I am mostly interested in the DLC that connects it to Rapture, since I just love the concept and characters. Andrew Ryan is one of my favorite villains in gaming.

Saelune:

Marik2:

Saelune:

Not wanting to bang Elizabeth may hinder my enjoyment of the game. All the firggen 'art' on Steam for Bioshock 1 is Elizabeth, usually sexual. SHES NOT EVEN IN THE GAME DAMMIT! Keep it to the Infinite 'art' section.

I am mostly interested in the DLC that connects it to Rapture, since I just love the concept and characters. Andrew Ryan is one of my favorite villains in gaming.

The DLC was pretty decent, but it was just the devs trying to wrap up all the flaws that people pointed out.

I recently brought HAWX 1 and 2. I am still waiting on Ace Combat 7. But right now I am playing Monster Hunter World, Destiny 2 Forsaken, and The Division with all DLCs.

I also finished JASF: Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters. Seeing as how I can't get ahold of the books, this is the next best thing.

Saelune:

Marik2:

Saelune:

Elizabeth shows up the Burial and Sea DLC, so she's effectivly retconned into Bioshock 1. I think Yathzee liked Infinite's plot because it tried something grand, even if it ended up kinda being all over the place by the end and Yathzee has stated on several occasions he'd rather see games try something big and fail then just stick with the same well-worn ideas over and over and over like they so often do.

I imagine it has to do a lot with reviewing for a living. Ever notice how reviewers tend to get real exited about movies/shows/games that are different and unique, even if they don't work all that well? Well, imagine you have to watch/play 1 movie/game a week. A lot of those things aren't gonna be things you'd seek out for pleasure and after a while, you're really, really gonna notice things tend to look a bit samey after a while.

Hell, just binge play a long running series and you'll get the same effect. There might be some improvements but it's gonna get obvious real quick that you're effectivly seeing the same thing over and over again, sometimes with just a new coat of paint and that's quite wearing when that's your job. So yeah, even something as messy as Bioshock Inifnite will get praise for trying something different and new in the story department despite all other flaws.

Dalisclock:

Saelune:

Marik2:

Elizabeth shows up the Burial and Sea DLC, so she's effectivly retconned into Bioshock 1.

Doesn't matter. She is not physically present in the game, Bioshock 1. Neither is Sofia Lamb, and I haven't seen any art of her in BioShock 1.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here