What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 . . . 31 NEXT

Hello, Cmdr Shepard...

*shrug* So up to date with my gaming... -_- Thanks to Steam sale, my PS3 being in storage (I probably wouldn't play that version anyway, hate the decryption/survey QTE's) and my PC physical copy (for my disc-drive free laptop, no less) on the other side of the planet... yay...

I beat all optional bosses in Bravely Default (except the secret one in the Archipelago, which I pretty much gave up) and now I'm at the final boss battle.

Also I started Persona 3, just for the sake of it. I regret not having started playing it back in October, because it seems to have a pretty macabre motif.

Return to the Obra Dinn

From Lucas Pope, and like his last game, it provides a fun context for a monotonous job. The art style is... Interesting. There are horror elements here that I was suprised to see but definitely not a horror game. Very interesting way of interacting with the world and way to tell a story. You are an insurance broker who has to assess a ship that has lost its crew. You get a pocket watch that can relive the last moment of when someone has died. If someone else died during that reliving of their memory, you can access the new dead bodies memories.

It's a very complex logic game, where you need to identify how people died and who they are which is way harder than it sounds. Way different game than the norm. 8/10

I finally picked up Far Cry 5 on Black Friday. I refuse to support anything with microtransactions until significantly discounted... and then I just forgot about checking for sales... until Friday. So after a few hours what do I think? Its another Ubisoft Far Cry game. That's fine, I have fun with those. It has less (or none) story surrounding the main character... which is good and bad. Jason Brody was interesting in FC 3. Ajay was kinda lame in 4. This guy (or lady) is just a mute generic police officer. Its fine, easier to forge your own narrative around him (or her.) The microtransactions are awful... its a pay 2 win scenario. You can unlock everything through gameplay, and its Ubi's usual map crammed with fetch quests and collect x of y and races and random encounters galore... so you have plenty of opportunity to grind up to getting the best gear. Or you can drop another fifty bucks and just buy all the best gear at the first shop you come across. And they make that enticing by doing much less handholding. That's a plus to someone like me familiar with the series. But to a Far Cry newcomer, it would be tempting. There's a nominal "starting island" with about 3 bad guys on it. You have few basic weapons and none of the perk skills you have later. You deal with the couple of objectives and then "there's your tutorial, good bye good luck" and you are shoved into the game proper with about a minute of training and enemy patrols everywhere that apparently have been told there's free candy in your liver.

And again, that's fine for ME. I thought 4 was far too easy and the whole first area felt like an hour long tutorial. But 5 (while fine to me) was specifically designed to beat down on new players until they give in and buy the game breaking weapons right off the bat... its pay 2 win.

But I do like shooting the cultists, and the villains are interesting. The character progression is hugely broken, with most skills being available from the beginning without going through progressions to get them. You can just save up, buy the ghost and silent running perks right away and you've won the game. No going through the lower tier "I can hold my breath underwater or carry more bear scrotums" perks first.

And I'll say it... I kinda miss the radio towers. It feels like Far Cry is missing something without them.

Kyrian007:

And I'll say it... I kinda miss the radio towers. It feels like Far Cry is missing something without them.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, there's pretty much every other game ubisoft makes to scratch that particular itch.

Subnautica

Really, I'm not into survival games. Luckily, this is not a survival game. It's a horror game that taps into my reptilian fears that while I'm exploring, something might come out of a deep dark place and eat me. While I'm also about to drown. Anyway, currently upgrading my big submarine so it can serve as a mobile base to explore an underwater cave system with acid puddles. I'm having a good time. Except the moments I run into hungry piscine abominations. Not so fond of the overall glitchiness of the game tho, or the wildly inconsistent performance.

Timespinner

I'm a sucker for metroidvania and it's nice to see one that goes more Castlevania than Metroid. Buuuuut, I don't know, I'm about 4 hours in and I'm not impressed. Lots of mechanics feel very underused. There's time travel, so you'd think doing stuff in the past to make changes to the present would be a central mechanic, but outside of the main story, there's barely any of that. Found only one optional one so far, and barely any secrets beside that, and it's not like they were exceptionally well hidden. You can temporarily stop time, but it's been several hours since I've gotten any use out of it. Feels like mechanics are introduced, used a handful of times to advance the plot and maybe one optional thing, then never again.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

It does plateau a bit, that's true. Though I will say with Bloodborne being the first Soulsborne game I don't think DS in general has ever handled a maintained difficulty curve all that well. Unlike the 3DS Monster Hunter games, earning that additional rank and with difficulty tied to gear, chef bonuses and player skill and knowledge, that additional rank or two means something (though it does begin feeling as if the power of each power degree is underappreciated until you start tackling former challenging fights). Dark Souls mechanics have the problem of simply making it harder for yourself or it being a bit of a cake walk beyond some fights.

Like Bloodborne taught me to level Vitality and Endurance to its first major stat progression cap of at least 30 ... and going back and playing the games properly, it kind of becomes a walk in the park barring a few sudden difficulty spikes (first Capra demon, Bed of Chaos, etc)... particularly if you just so happen to stumble into them for your first time. While it might be controversial to say, but once you get used to how DS2 plays differently and internalizing how power stance works, I actually kind of like the lifegem system. I think the max health degradation was trying to compensate for them, but doesn't do a very good job.

The lifegems are a great addition, and add an element of strategic planning to healing while giving you more options. I'd say DS2 handles health poorly, but handles healing items pretty well.

Bloodborne was also my entry to FromSoftware. It seems to me that DS1 and DS2 are both brilliant, but unpolished and flawed in (sometimes pretty big) ways. Bloodborne meanwhile represents a really well-rounded design. Its not surprising to me that it's frequently cited as the strongest entry by the company. Its my favourite too.

Chimpzy:
Subnautica

Really, I'm not into survival games. Luckily, this is not a survival game. It's a horror game that taps into my reptilian fears that while I'm exploring, something might come out of a deep dark place and eat me. While I'm also about to drown. Anyway, currently upgrading my big submarine so it can serve as a mobile base to explore an underwater cave system with acid puddles. I'm having a good time. Except the moments I run into hungry piscine abominations. Not so fond of the overall glitchiness of the game tho, or the wildly inconsistent performance.

Subnautica was excellent and that would explain my enjoyment for it despite not liking survival games that much. I played on survival mode though by the end I kinda wish I hadn't because access to food and water wasn't an issue, other then making sure I brought a decent supply of water with me for long trips(especially down to the deeper parts of the world). It felt less like resources management and more like topping off the tank when the gauge got low.

But yeah, the game had plenty of moments where I saw something coming for me and the only words were "Oh Shit", occasionally with a "Where the hell did that come from?". I still get the creeps from the damn Crabsquids. Sure, the Reapers are deadly but the crabsquids are just creepy as hell to look at, and they show up in more places.

I tried to make it better by referring to him as Mr. Hugs, because he very much wants to hug you(to death). It doesn't help much.

More of Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

I am having a great time with it. Also some Moonlighter in between. Good game. Might NG+ it

Re-exploring Musuo games continues, now with Samurai Warriors 4 Empires. Not much fundamentally different but a few little touches here and there, but being able to take my own OC clan and wreck Japan's shit does make up for quite a lot.

Been super into Dragon Quest 11 for a while now. Such a clean, beautiful game. The love for the genre oozes out of every pore of this game. You have a lot of games struggle to modernize themselves, some doing better at it than others (bravely series is a great example of the modern Jrpg) but if you want a classic-feeling game that fills you with joy and adventure, there's nothing better than DQ.

Tried out RDR2 online, but haven't played enough to really evaluate anything. I like how seamless it feels and how much variety it seems to have, but I still haven't left chapter 2 of the story. The biggest draw to online for me is tailoring my custom character and seeing how things go for her as it plays out. I think she turned out ok visually for what options they have available. I wonder if you'll be able to edit different features. I'll have to upload a few pics when I'm on next.

Also took a break from that for some more of The Old Hunters DLC. Lady Maria is no joke. I had her down to around 5% health a couple times but those fire blades are relentless. I need to calm my nerves if I'm ever going to finish her off.

Pretty much done with AC: Origins. More or less just doing the tourist thing with the Discovery tour mode, which I admit is rather relaxing, to just bum around the game world without having to worry about animal/bandit attacks every few minutes and learn interesting historical stuff about the period. I'm honestly a bit impressed by a lot of the small details, like how they replicated farming equipment of the era to make things look real and not just empty spaces between cities or doing animations of NPCs actually doing like real jobs and such in the cities.

Currently replaying "Night in the Woods", doing the Gregg stuff this time(I hung out with Bea the first time). Apparently the game got updated to the "Weird Autumn" edition sometime since I last played it, so the 2 mini-sodes are now included and apparently there's some other extra content in there now.

hanselthecaretaker:

Also took a break from that for some more of The Old Hunters DLC. Lady Maria is no joke. I had her down to around 5% health a couple times but those fire blades are relentless. I need to calm my nerves if I?m ever going to finish her off.

I love the lady Maria fight, but man she is fucking hard to beat. I got her down close to death so many damn times before she murdered me from halfway across the room with her flaming blood blades. I finally had to resort to using the co-op feature to actually take her down(which I'd gotten most of the way through the game without because PS4 makes you pay for the privilege of co-oping).

Dalisclock:
Pretty much done with AC: Origins. More or less just doing the tourist thing with the Discovery tour mode, which I admit is rather relaxing, to just bum around the game world without having to worry about animal/bandit attacks every few minutes and learn interesting historical stuff about the period. I'm honestly a bit impressed by a lot of the small details, like how they replicated farming equipment of the era to make things look real and not just empty spaces between cities or doing animations of NPCs actually doing like real jobs and such in the cities.

Currently replaying "Night in the Woods", doing the Gregg stuff this time(I hung out with Bea the first time). Apparently the game got updated to the "Weird Autumn" edition sometime since I last played it, so the 2 mini-sodes are now included and apparently there's some other extra content in there now.

hanselthecaretaker:

Also took a break from that for some more of The Old Hunters DLC. Lady Maria is no joke. I had her down to around 5% health a couple times but those fire blades are relentless. I need to calm my nerves if I?m ever going to finish her off.

I love the lady Maria fight, but man she is fucking hard to beat. I got her down close to death so many damn times before she murdered me from halfway across the room with her flaming blood blades. I finally had to resort to using the co-op feature to actually take her down(which I'd gotten most of the way through the game without because PS4 makes you pay for the privilege of co-oping).

I actually beat her the other night, going in fresh. Something about taking the edge off in these games that can work wonders. I remembered doing the same with Father Gascoigne way back in the beginning, which is a bit ironic because it's a similar style fight.

But yeah, Maria is a tough cookie. Her 2nd stage has range and power, and speed. Relentless, but there's sort of a sweet spot to attack in but that also takes stamina due to having to dodge and attack almost constantly. Yup, very little room for error.

Now I ran into this dude in the cathedral, because I was led to believe Lawrence was here but haven't encountered him yet. Bastard is also relentless with that repeater pistol and chickage, plus he's loaded with hunter's bones and pops a blood vial when you whittle him down enough. I initially didn't realize I could probably cheese him though since there's no fog gate. Maybe it'll boil down to some experimentation.

*edit* Yup, fortunately he only had a couple blood vials, and thanks to his self-inflicted chickage damage that continued outside of aggro range he basically did half the work for me. Still had to be careful though.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying the dlc; possibly moreso than Artorias of the Abyss. It's an intriguing new layer of lore with some of the best weapons, locations and characters of the game, including boss fights. Still haven't gotten to Lawrence or Kos, but I'm taking my time. Just unlocked the balcony and am anticipating another big showdown soon after dropping in, but that's for another night.

hanselthecaretaker:

Now I ran into this dude in the cathedral, because I was led to believe Lawrence was here but haven't encountered him yet. Bastard is also relentless with that repeater pistol and chickage, plus he's loaded with hunter's bones and pops a blood vial when you whittle him down enough. I initially didn't realize I could probably cheese him though since there's no fog gate. Maybe it'll boil down to some experimentation.

*edit* Yup, fortunately he only had a couple blood vials, and thanks to his self-inflicted chickage damage that continued outside of aggro range he basically did half the work for me. Still had to be careful though.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying the dlc; possibly moreso than Artorias of the Abyss. It's an intriguing new layer of lore with some of the best weapons, locations and characters of the game, including boss fights. Still haven't gotten to Lawrence or Kos, but I'm taking my time. Just unlocked the balcony and am anticipating another big showdown soon after dropping in, but that's for another night.

Oh, that guy? Who you meet at the end of Eileen's quest? I believe that the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst(or Painhurst, if you perfer). I found that poison knives work nicely against him(one of the few places they do), especially in tandem with his self imposed hurting.

Lawerence is the Bonus Boss in the Cathedral in the Hunters Nightmare. The big beast made out of fire and who is a huge ass damage sponge(also, fire doesn't hurt him). If you beat him you get the the mark that turns you into a beastman, though I don't think that makes it worth going out of your way to fight him(I think he's the only optional boss in the DLC).

I'm giving a try to the Spyro Reignited Trilogy. I played the original occasionally on emulator long ago (and it didn't even render water), so there isn't much nostalgia from my part. But so far I like this remaster. A lot of effort was put in making it look good and fun.

And when I'm not near the TV, I play some Hyper Light Drifter on the Switch (which I bought on the Black Friday sale). It's a pretty good game, although the wordless intro left me like... wut?

So, thanks to Xbox Game Pass's $1 deal, I'm playing Wolfenstein: The New Order.

It's...fine, I guess? Too early to say much, but it's...fine.

Return of the Obra Dinn.

I was kinda put off by the $20 price tag and the art style but I went ahead and tried it. I'm glad I did. It's an interesting mystery with some nice surprises(The horror bits definitely got me going "WTF is going on?"). Finding the cause of death for the 60ish people who were on the ship is the easy part. Putting names with faces is often hard, since it's rare that someones name will be actually mentioned.

Still working through it but am really enjoying it.

Dalisclock:
Return of the Obra Dinn.

I was kinda put off by the $20 price tag and the art style but I went ahead and tried it. I'm glad I did. It's an interesting mystery with some nice surprises(The horror bits definitely got me going "WTF is going on?"). Finding the cause of death for the 60ish people who were on the ship is the easy part. Putting names with faces is often hard, since it's rare that someones name will be actually mentioned.

I couldn't do the topmen or seamen names very well. Who the cook was stumped me and I had to look it up. I felt so silly afterwards

trunkage:

Dalisclock:
Return of the Obra Dinn.

I couldn't do the topmen or seamen names very well. Who the cook was stumped me and I had to look it up. I felt so silly afterwards

Yeah, I'm kind of at a loss how to tell which seaman or top-man is which. I think Yahtzee specifically called out the 4 Chinese topmen as being particularly tricky.

So far I've seen all of the memories and gotten about 20 of the names/fates correct. Which means I still have 60% left to go.

After 4 months, I finally completed pretty much everything Grim Dawn has to offer, in my mind anyway. I beat every boss I encountered and every quest I came across on the highest difficulty. I also beat every wave of the Crucible arena on the max difficulty.

The game was pretty fun, but having to clear the whole campaign three times to get to max level was a bit of a slog at times. It's a big game. Ten times as big as Diablo 3, I'd guess. But then I got to endgame and got hooked on the loot grind. Farming for loot, and tinkering with and min/maxing your gear/build/stats is the highlight of the game, IMO. But now it's time to play something else. I'll come back to it and play the new xpac at some point next year after it comes out.

Just started playing Nioh (PC version). I've heard great things about it. As a huge Souls fan, I'm excited to see what it has to offer.

Been playing Mark of the Ninja and it lives up to the hype, the fact the characters look like mid 2000s Penny Arcade characters is kinda bizarre.

Finished The Return of the Obra Dinn. Despite not really being interested in it before I picked it up(and I did so almost on a whim), I got sucked in almost immediately, because I wanted to see just how this whole chain of disaster dominoes started to fall(as well as watch each one fall, one at a time). What really got me was when I really started wandering around each scene and realized the little details all over the place, which are almost essential to figuring out who everyone is.

If I had any issues with the game, it's that some of the details feel like they rely on knowledge you'd have to bring from outside the game(The sole French guy on board has a French Navy shirt. Exactly how am I supposed to know what a French Navy shirt looks like again?) and some of the seamen/topmen feel like you pretty much have to brute force the answer once you have at least one of them ID'd. There's at least one death where the guy clearly has a spike sticking out of him while he drag himself to the spot where he dies, but the offical death is "Gunshot"(because he happened to take a bullet from friendly fire which actually killed him).

I did have to remind myself at times that this is all supposed to be for an INSURANCE INVESTIGATION and I can only imagine what the PC put in their report to explain some of the more fantastical elements in play. I can only imagine the head of the insurance agency reading the finished report, getting to the point about the giant squid before calling the investigator in to chew them out for making stuff up in an official report.

But yeah, quite good. Especially considering it was made by one guy. I also am surprised how much it reminds me of Cyrostasis, since I didn't think I'd ever see anything else like that game again. I'm pretty sure almost nobody played the game either.

Score: 21 Potatoes/2 Radishes

Dalisclock:
Finished The Return of the Obra Dinn. Despite not really being interested in it before I picked it up(and I did so almost on a whim), I got sucked in almost immediately, because I wanted to see just how this whole chain of disaster dominoes started to fall(as well as watch each one fall, one at a time). What really got me was when I really started wandering around each scene and realized the little details all over the place, which are almost essential to figuring out who everyone is.

If I had any issues with the game, it's that some of the details feel like they rely on knowledge you'd have to bring from outside the game(The sole French guy on board has a French Navy shirt. Exactly how am I supposed to know what a French Navy shirt looks like again?) and some of the seamen/topmen feel like you pretty much have to brute force the answer once you have at least one of them ID'd. There's at least one death where the guy clearly has a spike sticking out of him while he drag himself to the spot where he dies, but the offical death is "Gunshot"(because he happened to take a bullet from friendly fire which actually killed him).

I did have to remind myself at times that this is all supposed to be for an INSURANCE INVESTIGATION and I can only imagine what the PC put in their report to explain some of the more fantastical elements in play. I can only imagine the head of the insurance agency reading the finished report, getting to the point about the giant squid before calling the investigator in to chew them out for making stuff up in an official report.

But yeah, quite good. Especially considering it was made by one guy. I also am surprised how much it reminds me of Cyrostasis, since I didn't think I'd ever see anything else like that game again. I'm pretty sure almost nobody played the game either.

Read a bit about the game and I'm intrigued by the timeline of events and apparently being able to piece it all together via the logbook. Really curious about it and hope to squirrel away some time to play it.

hanselthecaretaker:

Dalisclock:

Read a bit about the game and I?m intrigued by the timeline of events and apparently being able to piece it all together via the logbook. Really curious about it and hope to squirrel away some time to play it.

It's kinda crazy at first, because you'll view events totally out of order(the first scene you witness is the Captain shooting the first mate near the end of the story) and have to piece everything together as you go but the logbook does a good job at helping you keep track of the sequences of events because it does record everything in the right spots. Especially because you'll likely go back and view every single scene at least once more to pour over details and try to figure out just who all these people are.

It took me about 8 hours to get through the entire thing, though you'll probably see all of the story in the first 2, as long as you don't miss a body somewhere(hint: check the bow and the hallways on the sides of the ship). Playing in like hour long chunks is a good idea, because you'll probably start figuring out solutions when you're not playing it.

Oh, and one final piece of advice: After you see all the story sequences, you'll be told a storm is coming and you should leave the ship, despite not knowing all the people and their fates. Don't. You have no time limit and the only way to get the true ending is to keep going until the game literally tells you that there's nothing more to do on the ship. That's when you should leave the ship.

Dalisclock:

It's kinda crazy at first, because you'll view events totally out of order(the first scene you witness is the Captain shooting the first mate near the end of the story) and have to piece everything together as you go but the logbook does a good job at helping you keep track of the sequences of events because it does record everything in the right spots. Especially because you'll likely go back and view every single scene at least once more to pour over details and try to figure out just who all these people are.

It took me about 8 hours to get through the entire thing, though you'll probably see all of the story in the first 2, as long as you don't miss a body somewhere(hint: check the bow and the hallways on the sides of the ship). Playing in like hour long chunks is a good idea, because you'll probably start figuring out solutions when you're not playing it.

Oh, and one final piece of advice: After you see all the story sequences, you'll be told a storm is coming and you should leave the ship, despite not knowing all the people and their fates. Don't. You have no time limit and the only way to get the true ending is to keep going until the game literally tells you that there's nothing more to do on the ship. That's when you should leave the ship.

Isn't there something like 60 bodies to investigate? Although I suppose it'd be a good thing that it goes quick if there is, because it could turn into a gargantuan task keeping track of everything if they went too deep.

hanselthecaretaker:

Dalisclock:

Isn?t there something like 60 bodies to investigate? Although I suppose it?d be a good thing that it goes quick if there is, because it could turn into a gargantuan task keeping track of everything if they went too deep.

There are indeed 60 people, but not everyone on the ship gets a death scene(because there's no body to find for whatever reason), so occasionally you're prompted with "These people disappeared during this chapter." which means you need to determine their fate a little more indirectly. In several cases, there are people who fell into the ocean thus no corpse was found(but they do appear in other peoples scenes).

The games does give you everything you need to keep track of everyone: A crew list, sketches that show almost everyone onboard and the logbook accurately reflects the people who died/disappeared in any given chapter, so your job remains figuring out 1.)Who they are 2.) How they died and 3.) If they were killed by someone, who did it.

One thing I did appreciate is that game does you the solid of having all the characters wear the proper uniform/clothes for their job/position and using their correct names, so the crew list, sketches and scenes can all be relied upon to be accurate(no unreliable narrators/misdirection).

Interestingly enough, the game is inaccurate in the fact that a real merchant vessel of the type depicted would have a crew of 150 rather then the 50ish shown. Needless to say, reducing the crew to 1/3 is a welcome concession to game-play over accuracy.

hanselthecaretaker:

Dalisclock:

Isn?t there something like 60 bodies to investigate? Although I suppose it?d be a good thing that it goes quick if there is, because it could turn into a gargantuan task keeping track of everything if they went too deep.

the first four bodies have 3 fates that can be easily identified. When you get a death, the game places every frame that person was involved in. Who gave you the book is also a clue. There are spoiler free guides that give you a clue if you're stuck. I cheated on the Seamen one. I just couldnt get them.

NAA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA Katamari Da-ma-shiiii...!

Also Far Cry 5, having finished a run of Dishonored 2.

But the happy rainbows and flinging stars seems more appropriate to the season, right now.

Well, in keeping with the jolliness and festive cheer of the season I have been playing my way through Call of Cthulhu (the new one) and Vermintide 2. Cthulhu has an interesting story (so far), but the lip synching is off which makes the cutscenes a little unsettling, and the main protagonist reminds me a lot of the main character in State of Mind - which is to say an entitled ass I have a hard time feeling sorry for. Vermintide 2 is, well, it's more Vermintide. The game proudly boasts "15 unique classes!" which is a bit of a lie, because what they mean is the same 5 classes from the original game each with 3 skill trees. Other than that it's more of the same - an enjoyable (if somewhat corny) L4D texturepack mod.

Fighting the Orphan of Kos in The Old Hunters currently. Finally got past Laurence, who was a bit of a pain to learn patterns and timing on. Probably the toughest boss in the game besides Ebriettas from the Chalice Dungeons. He's pretty spongy but his stages are interestingly contrasted. I must confess to checking a trophy guide for missable weapons but was pleasantly relieved to find none. All that's left is Kos and his weapon.

He shouldn't be too bad as long as I don't get greedy with offense. I got him down to the last 10-15% after a few tries but was by no means playing carefully.

I was about to start playing Nioh, but postponed it.

I'm playing Hollow Knight instead (on PC). Just killed the first boss. Man, I probably haven't seriously played a platformer game in 20 years. Not normally my type of game. But I'm having fun so far. The graphics are cartoony, but not silly rabbit goofy. It's kind of an interesting art style, actually, the bug theme. Really feels like something original. All within a Dark Souls-like gloomy ruined civilization setting. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Warframe, lots and lots of Warframe. Going to pick up some more games on sale tomorrow, (also Rythem Heaven Megamix), but for now i'm a space ninja.

Though I have to mention games I played a little while ago, Return of Obra Dinn, and One Shot.
Yahtzee is completely correct in saying that finishing Obra Dinn makes you feel sad that there aren't many other games that match it's unique style of puzzle solving.

And One Shot made me feel sad, full stop.

Nuuu:

And One Shot made me feel sad, full stop.

I was suprised by OneSHot. I don't remember what finally convinced me to play it but once I did I rather liked it. I keep thinking of it "Like Undertale if Undertale didn't have any combat and was a lot more meta".

Kerg3927:

I'm playing Hollow Knight instead (on PC). Just killed the first boss. Man, I probably haven't seriously played a platformer game in 20 years. Not normally my type of game. But I'm having fun so far. The graphics are cartoony, but not silly rabbit goofy. It's kind of an interesting art style, actually, the bug theme. Really feels like something original. All within a Dark Souls-like gloomy ruined civilization setting. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

I thought Hollow Knight was a lot of fun and do appreciate the Dark Souls feel while trying to be something original and it's own thing. Still haven't finished it yet because I keep getting distracted by other games, not because I didn't like it.

Just finished TACOMA, by the same people who made Gone Home. It's a walking sim, but a solid walking sim that holds up well enough for it's 2 hour playtime, where you're mostly exploring a space station that suffered an accident and you've been sent in to retrieve the data. There's a holographic recording system in place, so you get to see various recordings the crew before and after the accident, so one of the more interesting use of the "Listening to audiologs" trope to advance the story I've seen. Glad I bought it cheap and found it an engaging 2 hours to just chill a bit.

In an amusing(perhaps) Homage to Far Cry 4, you can technically beat the game by plugging in your downloader and doing nothing. It'll take about 9 hours of real time, doing nothing. Searching the station and accessing the various audiologs and such speeds up the download so a normal play-through is closer to 2 hours. And apparently you don't get anything special if you wait for 9 hours so I'm not sure why you'd bother.

Score: 76/Big Bird.

Bloodborne and Oblivion replays currently, now that I'm through with Adventure mode in Smash.

I'll admit, I hate WSAD with a passion, but I do like being able to rebind the stupid default keybindings Bethesda put in the game.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 . . . 31 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here