What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 . . . 29 NEXT

Beat Kos last night, closing out Christmas 2018 with an earned final present. I got tired of baiting and eluding between his attacks with such narrow windows on most of them thanks to his range and spastic rage, going instead for backstabs which worked pretty well. I think it took 4-5 tries once I change strategy. Laurence was still the toughest boss of The Old Hunters to me personally, but it was a rush beating Kos and I was blatantly anxious to get that last hit in.

All in all this was my favorite single SoulsBorne DLC (pre-DS3 which I've only recently started), creeping ahead of Artorias and The Sunken King thanks to even more interesting locations, challenge and most of all, new weapons and lore. It felt a bit anticlimactic though since for some odd reason I was expecting something to happen when returning to Hunter's Dream upon finishing it. Hmmm. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Anyways, I'll now have to decide which other weapons I want to commit a couple newly discovered blood rocks to. Through it all, my FRC root chalice remains most intimidating.

Finally started playing Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End(which I got with the PS4). Played for about 2 hours so far and feel like I finally finished the Prologue(Where Nathan and Sam are finally reunited and gonna rob the black market auction). I forgot just how good Naughty Dog is at polished action/adventure experiences like this. I'll give them credit for making Nathan feel a bit more human and not just a walking action movie cliche, where I'm finally starting to get a feel for just why Nathan is the way he is.

Dalisclock:
Finally started playing Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End(which I got with the PS4). Played for about 2 hours so far and feel like I finally finished the Prologue(Where Nathan and Sam are finally reunited and gonna rob the black market auction). I forgot just how good Naughty Dog is at polished action/adventure experiences like this. I'll give them credit for making Nathan feel a bit more human and not just a walking action movie cliche, where I'm finally starting to get a feel for just why Nathan is the way he is.

Wait til you get to

. Simply beautiful, and the gameplay really opens up with options. Probably one of the best locations in any modern action adventure game.

Having said that, I actually enjoyed Lost Legacy more overall. It's paced better, has much better platforming, shooting set pieces, and definitely had the better finale which I think ND was trying to make up for 4 with.

hanselthecaretaker:

Having said that, I actually enjoyed Lost Legacy more overall. It?s paced better, has much better platforming, shooting set pieces, and definitely had the better finale which I think ND was trying to make up for 4 with.

I heard Lost Legacy is pretty good. I'll check that out a bit later.

Not really playing much of anything right now, but I plan on giving CrossCode a first go this weekend. Heard some good things.

Was going to start Horizon's Frozen Wilds DLC but put Bloodborne back in. I have blood rocks to spend, dammit. Need a few more chunks though. Almost have the Church Pick fully upgraded and I'm liking it.

I'm torn on what to upgrade next. Thought about replacing my Saw Cleaver with the Saif, but not sure if it's worth the farming. More pertinently I'm split between the Stake Driver and Amygdala Arm. Very different, but both wickedly awesome.

So I beat Wolfenstein: The New Order. It's...okay. Basically a case where the gameplay makes up for the lacklustre story.

Staying in WWII, I'm now playing Battlefield V, which, least in War Stories, has lacklustre gameplay AND story.

Yay. :(

Currently playing Luigi's Mansion 2. I'm finding the endgame missions frustrating so I'm only getting through one or two before putting it down for the night, so I'm making slow progress. I am close to the end, though.

After that, it's time to finally start Pokemon Ultra Moon.

I wanted to be playing Just Cause 4. I got it for Christmas, but am now waiting for it to be patched into a playable state. In the meantime I got an Epic Games account to download a few of their free offers, and its going to be a while before Subnautica releases me from her grip. I don't know if it is just because I live in a landlocked area and have never been to the ocean... but Subnautica is so much more alien and frightening than any other crafting/survival game I have ever played.

Kyrian007:
*Subnautica stuff*

One of the best games of 2018, to be certain. I waited for final release, ignored everything about it through the early access period, and went in blind for the full game. Holy shit, man. So fantastic, so scary. The feeling of unending depth when you look down into a deep area and see nothing, the feeling of isolation when you stand atop your survival pod and see nothing but water (and a crashed ship).

I wish I could re-experience it again, blind.

Chimpzy:
Not really playing much of anything right now, but I plan on giving CrossCode a first go this weekend. Heard some good things.

I've been hearing a lot of good things from people on this forum over the past few months and yet barely saw any press/reviews for it in the gaming news I follow. I know it's apparently set in a fake MMO(which makes me a little leery since MMOs never did it for me, and I tried several) but apparently has a pretty decent story/gameplay.

I'm honestly interested in knowing what makes it so noteworthy.

Dalisclock:
I've been hearing a lot of good things from people on this forum over the past few months and yet barely saw any press/reviews for it in the gaming news I follow. I know it's apparently set in a fake MMO(which makes me a little leery since MMOs never did it for me, and I tried several) but apparently has a pretty decent story/gameplay.

I'm honestly interested in knowing what makes it so noteworthy.

You're asking me? Fuck me, I'm way too stupid for that, but I'll try.

It's set in an MMO, but it doesn't play like one at all. The MMO setting is really more a framework for storytelling and worldbuilding. It's kind of like .hack in that respect. It frequently makes use of MMO tropes and rpg tropes in general, sometimes subverting them, leveraging them, breaking the 4th wall or sometimes making a joke at their expense. So far it hasn't been overbearing or annoying tho, and like you I'm not into MMOs.

That's probably a terrible explanation that doesn't help you at all, but like I said, I'm a dumb-dumb. I'm also only 12 hours in and I got the feeling I only barely scratched the surface.

You know what, let's try this: do you like Secret of Mana and other action jrpgs like it? Then there's a good chance you'll like CrossCode. Because that is how it actually plays, except with more in-depth and challenging combat and some really good level design with a heavy focus on puzzle solving that requires both creative thinking and some quick reflexes.

Chimpzy:

That's probably a terrible explanation that doesn't help you at all, but like I said, I'm a dumb-dumb. I'm also only 12 hours in and I got the feeling I only barely scratched the surface.

You know what, let's try this: do you like Secret of Mana and other action jrpgs like it? Then there's a good chance you'll like CrossCode. Because that is how it actually plays, except with more in-depth and challenging combat and some really good level design with a heavy focus on puzzle solving that requires both creative thinking and some quick reflexes.

I appreciate it anyway.

And that actually helped a lot. That does sound like something I'd enjoy.

Thanks.

Just finished Spider-Man on the PS4, and I have now done everything.

100%'d the main story, all 3 DLCs, and done a second playthrough on NG+ Ultimate difficulty. This was the first game that I have got all of the trophies for since Halo 3: ODST. Not in a rush to do it again for the time being. Brilliant game, though.

I have also been playing a lot of Destiny 2 - seems a lot more feature complete, now that it has some actual content under its belt. Pretty fun with. Bows are probably the best addition to the game, yet.

Im now also playing the new God of War, and the combat is so crisp - depth in simplicity. Not seen much of the story, but if they can drip-feed enough combat enhancements throughout the game, even if the story is a flop for me, I can at least stay entertained.

I was planning on going through The Frozen Wilds DLC, but took a detour back to some God of War. Still haven't beaten all the Valkyries or the challenges. Only briefly visited Nifelheim too, and then there are of course the treasures to hunt down in the meantime. I'm almost 90% completed with Midgard, and it's fun to revisit some of these areas to take a closer look for what I've missed. I also want to get a complete set of Valkyrie gear, but will probably need to get through the Muspelheim trials first.

Flipping between RDR2 and Arkham City NG+-

Johnny Novgorod:

Do the + and - cancel out? So it's just NG?

Finished Uncharted 4 last night. Gonna start on Horizon Zero Dawn tonight.

Overall, I'm really starting to think Uncharted 4 might be the best of the mainline Uncharted games. It certainly has flaws, don't get me wrong. It has numerous plot holes that should be easy as hell to spot and continues the series longstanding tradition of having centuries old incredibly complex traps and machines that shouldn't be possible to build in the time period and still work perfectly(until they fail spectacularly) and death courses that are presumably designed for people with amazing upper body strength and the ability to hold onto a tiny chunk of rock on a sheer cliff that stretches credibility at times. There's also numerous setpieces that feels like they were flat out copied from previous games in the series(the Truck convoy battle that now has to be in every UC game since 2 did it). There's also the matter of the Sam Retcon, where Nate apparently always had an older brother who nobody EVER MENTIONED, to the point that Nate never even bothered to tell his wife about it, who he's known for quite a while at this point, only barely managed to be plausible. There's also the Bad guy PMC Blackwate.....er, Shoreline, which has the almost magical ability to move a ton of guys and a small fleet of vehicles where ever in the world they want apparently on a moments notice(and often get there before Nate does).

However, the game is very well paced structurally, the setpieces are pretty well done and the game has one thing I really appreciated, the fact that Nate has finally grown somewhat as a person. A couple of quiet scenes early in the game show Nate doing his day job and walking around his home give a nice contrast to Nates normal antics and punctuating how much he misses the thrill of it all. And while he's still prone to making boneheaded decisions(not telling his wife he was going on yet another death-defying treasure hunt for a legendary fortune), the fact a lot of his decisions revolved around his love for his brother(as well as his thirst for adventure) rather then just wanting to get rich yet again helped sell it. Using a fair bit of the run time to establish the relationship and closeness between the two drakes did a lot to make this believable from a character standpoint.

I also appreciated the fact that the reveal of the fate of the Pirate Treasure

. Don't get me wrong, I pretty much saw it coming early on but it was refreshing, especially the Parallels with Nate, Sam and

I'm playing Detroit: Becoming Human. It's okay so far. Sometimes is a little too on the nose with the allegories about racism (segregated public transport anyone? tbh I'd be more uncomfortable ridding a bus with a bunch of androids packed behind a glass wall than if they just rode it the same way as normal people), but it's interesting to see where David Cage took his concept of his original Kara video.

trunkage:

Johnny Novgorod:

Do the + and - cancel out? So it's just NG?

More or less.

Dalisclock:

I also appreciated the fact that the reveal of the fate of the Pirate Treasure

. Don't get me wrong, I pretty much saw it coming early on but it was refreshing, especially the Parallels with Nate, Sam and

That was something I really hoped for from the series as well, and they pretty much nailed it. I got tired of the "Surprise!...monster-of-the-game" reveal, let alone the fact that they got progressively worse. The dinner table scene was eerily peaceful and simple, while being more emotional and wondrously impactful to me than anything before it in the series. Sometimes absence can speak volumes, and that was a terrific example.

Been playing renegade platinum which is an enhanced version of pokemon platinum.

Alright question time regarding RDR2. Do the collectible missions (cards, bones, fishing, etc) carry over to the endgame?

Still on a God of War kick and beat my fourth Valkyrie, Kara last night first try. Well, I've tried her a few times before I beat the game but now I was able to be pretty relentless. Playing without seeing enemy health bars is definitely the way to go, but I'm still too chicken to turn my stats off just because I doubt there's HUDless indicators for all my offensive stuff I need to keep track of. I know there's the death knell of sorts for Kratos' health but not sure how the various perks and meters would be handled. Maybe I'll make a point of really trying it to see how much of a difference it makes.

Having said that, I think at the very least that is enemy health bars can be too much of a distraction in general for action/adventure games. You start thinking about where that bar progress is at more so than the actual fight at hand. I want next gen games to feature more dynamic and physically indicative kinds of damage according to a given attack type as feedback. Being able to see both your enemy and yourself getting worn down or have critical damage effects to different body parts would be highly tactical let alone more intriguing. But of course there would have to be limits, lest it stops feeling like an actual game.

Marik2:
Been playing renegade platinum which is an enhanced version of pokemon platinum.

Renegade Platinum immediately made me imagine a Pokemon game where you play as Renegade Commander Shepard. You wouldn't even use any Pokemon, you'd just do your battles yourself by headbutting everyone and everything.

Not sure whether that would be lame or awesome? Lamesome?

Played some Horizon Zero Dawn this weekend. I just got to Mothers Crown and learned about the corrupted areas, doing most of the sidequests along the way(I haven't done the "Revenge of the Nora" quest yet) so it's probably taken me a bit longer then I probably could have taken(I read somewhere that you can reach Meridian in 3 hours. I'm at about 9 hours and still a ways to go, so I suspect that number is main quest only).

So far I'm rather liking it. The world building is nicely done and does have a "Fallout"-like feel to it, to some extent(The Tribals and "Vaults"). I'm looking forward to getting to see some of the other tribes introduced and how they differ from the Nora.

Also, I'm calling it now as to what Aloy's deal is.

I'm also wondering about the fact that they clearly know what machines are and that they're from the old world, but

I hope this is explained a bit more later on because right now it makes it look really wierd(not to mention hypocritical as hell considering their attitudes towards some types of machines).

Not really a complaint, but I don't play that many open world games but it feels weird how many Open World mechanics and tropes seem to feel like they show up everywhere, including Horizon: Zero Dawn. Tagging enemies, gathering plants/materials for weapons/tools/medicine, climbing sheer cliff faces, being sneaky by crouch-walking, climbing towers to get the lay of the land, upgrading weapons/tools/satchels through pieces of animals/robots, etc.

Finished Fallout76 (the main storyline and the body of sidequests at least. There's not a whole lot currently to maintain any post-game play).

The story is, rather unfairly maligned. Yes, its not a dialogue tree heavy, big faction political standoff story like the other Bethesdallouts. But within that genre of roaming an environment piecing together the mystery of what happened before you, its a prettyy solid entry. The finale is a bit of weak one, with a penultimate quest that is just doing 10 repeatable high end events (or killing Scorchbeasts or legendary epic creatures like Deathclaws and Mirelurk Queens). And the final battle itself suffers from the wholly unexplained mechanics at play.

Does Black Mirror: Bandersnatch count as a game?

A lot of Dynasty Warriors 8 XL. I almost have all 6th Weapons!

Johnny Novgorod:

Well, the "Choose your own adventure" people are apparently suing over it being a ripoff so maybe?

Dalisclock:

Johnny Novgorod:

Well, the "Choose your own adventure" people are apparently suing over it being a ripoff so maybe?

They're suing over the use of the phrase "choose your own adventure" rather than anything regarding form. Apparently.

DKC Returns (3DS) & Tropical Freeze
Tetris Effect
Dragon's Crown
Sengoku 3

Took a detour from God of War and got back into Dark Souls 3. At first it feels a bit stiffer and...smaller, because of the different perspective. But there's just something about Souls combat (and IMO it's more refined and on point than ever in 3) that feels more deliberate, methodical and often more thoughtful. A good example of it was at the bottom of a tower in Undead Settlement with a frost knight of sorts. I kept dying to him due to frostbite and low stamina until I tried a concoction of Ember, Siegbrau and Charcoal Pine Resin which completely turned the tide in my favor. Before that I was able to make a peace offering with a giant so he'd stop launching spears at me and instead only target my enemies. Later on I was playing cat and mouse (I was definitely the mouse) with a giant crab in a forest using trees for cover while fending off a handful of brutes lunging huge pikes.

Maybe it's the fact that you can't get away with simply wailing on anyone, and even though I like the options at your disposal in GoW, it somehow feels less fulfilling or engaging. In GoW it's often more about throwing everything but the kitchen sink at a lot of enemies, but Souls is more minimalist and grounded. Sure you have a ton of options yet, but you have to be more careful with how you use them, and that could be against even one tough enemy. The weapon arts add a wonderfully tactical element that is fun to juggle offensive and defensive options with sword and shield play. I tend to enter more cautiously into typical Souls encounters, but it's also a rush to get a bit wreckless in a new area looking for loot with who knows what chasing you down.

Having said that, I still love GoW's style; especially the utility and feel of the axe, but more so because it's still its own thing even though apparently influenced by Souls. More than anything I think they nailed the exploration and world building aspects aside from the visuals. In any case it's a pleasant contrast.

Far Cry 5, or 'Far Crive' as a troubled couple of deviant neurons keep annoyingly flashing upon the back of these eyelids.

Okay, no sufficient complaints so far, but why is it determined to give me the best shit as soon as possible? The second weapon I came across was a high-quality compound bow and all the weapon upgrades like silencers are cheap as day-old bumfluff chips. I was a professional stealth ninja (official terminology, that) before the first outpost, for crying out loud.
Then, after quick browsing in the shoppies, found they gave me a far cry: blood dragon themed car and the most high-powered Blood Dragon themed sniper rifle for fucking free due to being a member of their special friends club or something. Now, yes, one could utilise the power of self-restraint to not use these glorious gifts until later, but they've got fantastic pink and blue neon lights as part of their design whereas all the other options are lumbered with dullard uninspired paintjobs more at home in a grandad's cupboard of neglected allotment attire. Of course I'm gonna want the aesthetically interesting stuff to brandish on screen! Once, I tried killing myself with the piles of explosives horded in my fannypack, but the game wouldn't allow it! What the hell, Far Crive? It's like being back in that ward again, except with less mandatory sleep medication.

Anyways, have turned the difficulty up to highest and keep trying to invent new challenges for myself to get some sense of pride and accomplishment rewarding activity. Most of the perks are quite dull and obligatory too. Having said all that, not feeling any real negativity towards the experience, just sort of feel a bit unnecessarily rewarded for doing bugger-all too soon. You must punish me, Far Crive. I am not a good person.

I am currently playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, its alright. I think maybe the first game is the best one of the reboot trilogy, but this game is still fun in its own right. I mean, there is a lot more climbing and fighting animals rather than humans than in the last two games, it seems to make the bits where you do get into combat a little bit special rather than doing it over and over again. However, the story is not great and one thing that has bugged me a little is the whole side mission thing. "Oh yeah, the apocalypse I started is still happening, but sure kid, I can go get your dice back. I'm sure the end of the world will wait for me to stop fucking about." I'm fairly certain that if Lara was to stay in that village, the end of the world would never come and Trinity's evil plan would never come to fruition.

Maybe a in game timer would of worked in this game to try to add some urgency to proceedings. Add in a new game+ to mop up all the missions you didn't get to do the first time around. Seems simple to me.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 . . . 29 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here