What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 . . . 31 NEXT

Xsjadoblayde:
Far Cry 5, or 'Far Crive' as a troubled couple of deviant neurons keep annoyingly flashing upon the back of these eyelids.

Okay, no sufficient complaints so far, but why is it determined to give me the best shit as soon as possible? The second weapon I came across was a high-quality compound bow and all the weapon upgrades like silencers are cheap as day-old bumfluff chips. I was a professional stealth ninja (official terminology, that) before the first outpost, for crying out loud.
Then, after quick browsing in the shoppies, found they gave me a far cry: blood dragon themed car and the most high-powered Blood Dragon themed sniper rifle for fucking free due to being a member of their special friends club or something. Now, yes, one could utilise the power of self-restraint to not use these glorious gifts until later, but they've got fantastic pink and blue neon lights as part of their design whereas all the other options are lumbered with dullard uninspired paintjobs more at home in a grandad's cupboard of neglected allotment attire. Of course I'm gonna want the aesthetically interesting stuff to brandish on screen! Once, I tried killing myself with the piles of explosives horded in my fannypack, but the game wouldn't allow it! What the hell, Far Crive? It's like being back in that ward again, except with less mandatory sleep medication.

Anyways, have turned the difficulty up to highest and keep trying to invent new challenges for myself to get some sense of pride and accomplishment rewarding activity. Most of the perks are quite dull and obligatory too. Having said all that, not feeling any real negativity towards the experience, just sort of feel a bit unnecessarily rewarded for doing bugger-all too soon. You must punish me, Far Crive. I am not a good person.

I really think Ubi was super worried about being raked over the coals for including silver as a premium currency and made sure that in-game currency can buy everything and you get tons of it... and enough free silver to permanently buy your choice of one vehicle and one weapon. And in an effort to be seen as "not too predatory" they wound up collapsing the difficulty curve of their game. Didn't bother me, I still had fun. It is weird to me though that the recurve bow in game is superior to a compound bow. That compound bow must be a LEGO one or something. In progression the wrist rocket slingshot is considered superior to that compound bow.

Right now I'm playing Halo Wars 2...which is what I would be saying if, at this time of writing, it had finished installing.

Anyway, I 'finished' BF5, in as much that I beat all the singleplayer stories. The game, both singleplayer and multiplayer is...mixed, for me.

Edit: Side note, do you think it would be practical to have a "discuss and rate the last game you played" thread or something similar? I ask because this thread is based on what one's currently playing, so doing a review on something you completed doesn't really fit the thread.

Kyrian007:
And in an effort to be seen as "not too predatory" they wound up collapsing the difficulty curve of their game. Didn't bother me, I still had fun. It is weird to me though that the recurve bow in game is superior to a compound bow. That compound bow must be a LEGO one or something. In progression the wrist rocket slingshot is considered superior to that compound bow.

I figured it was just the inherent problem with proper open world and progression.

If you can go anywhere and do things in any order, then of course they have to all be the same difficulty, and thereby the same power has to be available to you.

Ubi had in recent times been doing more of an MMO setup with level-based areas, but for Far Cry 5 they kind of flipped back to that fully open ideal, and thus the game just kind of doesn't scale.

Kyrian007:
I really think Ubi was super worried about being raked over the coals for including silver as a premium currency and made sure that in-game currency can buy everything and you get tons of it... and enough free silver to permanently buy your choice of one vehicle and one weapon. And in an effort to be seen as "not too predatory" they wound up collapsing the difficulty curve of their game. Didn't bother me, I still had fun. It is weird to me though that the recurve bow in game is superior to a compound bow. That compound bow must be a LEGO one or something. In progression the wrist rocket slingshot is considered superior to that compound bow.

Wait...the compound bow is lesser than the slingshot as well as the recurve?? Ooh, Sly subversion of expectations, I suppose. Or the type of backwards-ass madness only a 'Trump's america' could produce.
Did wonder why the silver bars appeared somewhat useless in game. Perhaps it's a way for the developers to go "look here, financial overlords...we definitely put those mini-buys in, like good workers, see? Seeeee?? Inform the sharedholders that everything is going to be alright!" While making sure it doesn't do the truly bad shit. A bit akin to the Deus Ex mini-buys maybe.
Anyways, have been experimenting with less stealthy approaches when not outposting, even though it goes against every instinct cultivated so far. And am surprised to find it remains enjoyable. Quite liberating at times, in fact. Some amusing physics always helps too.

Xsjadoblayde:

Kyrian007:

Wait...the compound bow is lesser than the slingshot as well as the recurve?? Ooh, Sly subversion of expectations, I suppose. Or the type of backwards-ass madness only a 'Trump's america' could produce.
Did wonder why the silver bars appeared somewhat useless in game. Perhaps it's a way for the developers to go "look here, financial overlords...we definitely put those mini-buys in, like good workers, see? Seeeee?? Inform the sharedholders that everything is going to be alright!" While making sure it doesn't do the truly bad shit. A bit akin to the Deus Ex mini-buys maybe.
Anyways, have been experimenting with less stealthy approaches when not outposting, even though it goes against every instinct cultivated so far. And am surprised to find it remains enjoyable. Quite liberating at times, in fact. Some amusing physics always helps too.

The bows and slingshot all have similar stats, but they give you a crossbow in "tutorial island" so you don't get a chance to get a slingshot or recurve until you get some unlocks. Plus the slingshot is the most useful because it comes with unlimited ammo, as a rock to the noggin on lowest level enemies seems to be as effective as arrow to the head. But the "slingshot" can still fire all types of arrows that the bows can as well AND it effectively makes the range of the "distraction rock" unlimited and pinpoint accurate as well. Using rocks you can lure guys into bliss fields from Sniper rifle range, then switch to the rifle and shoot them where their corpses fall into the bliss and someone has to trip over it to see it.

Seth Carter:
I figured it was just the inherent problem with proper open world and progression.

If you can go anywhere and do things in any order, then of course they have to all be the same difficulty, and thereby the same power has to be available to you.

Ubi had in recent times been doing more of an MMO setup with level-based areas, but for Far Cry 5 they kind of flipped back to that fully open ideal, and thus the game just kind of doesn't scale.

Well, that would be true... if it were true that they all had to be the same difficulty. But its not, and they clearly aren't. And the game very unsubtly herds you into choosing the "right" directions to go to give the game its proper difficulty curve. There's dozens of examples, but the most unsubtle is you are flat out told on "tutorial island" where to go first. That is the easiest area. When you are making the decision where to go next, the border between the "1st level" and the "hardest" is mostly a huge boring mountain with some of the game's most deadly predators and no in-game reason to go to. While the border between "1st level" and "2nd level" is mostly several normal bridges over a river where you will at most be harassed by cultists and skunks, and a place you will have already ventured into in the course of a few missions in the "first level." So it is easy to tell which way players are "supposed" to go.

Wandered back and finished off Subnautica.

*shrug* Okay, I 100% don't click with the "horror" aspects of games in general, and thats often cited as one of Subnautica's draws. I always know I'm playing a game, so there's never really that aspect of terror.

I'm still a little baffled at the extent of praise the game gets (including some folks GotY nods). 3 babysitting meters to the usual 1, and most of the game is scrabbling out for somewhat inobvious (and possibly RNG?) bits of wreckage to build tech, most of which simply serves to surpass the next level of "Pressure rapidly destroys your vehicle". Nothing ever really challenges you to merit the rare combat options, and there's no real interactions (puzzle or combat wise) for the physics gun either. And the base building just becomes a pointless endeavour halfway through when you get the mobile base sub (other then maintaining some power charging stations for it).

The story is serviceable enough, in its indie walking simulator sort of way, but a lot of the game just feels like its there to pad out the story. Some pretty environments, also some kind of wonky looking ones.

Had a go at COD Blackops Blackout Blackle Blackale. One go. On a free trial. On the one mode. Whilst not paying much attention. Which is ample experience to formulate a substantial opinion, methinks! I mean...the rest of the game is essentially doing that over and over again anyway, so why not play all that tiresome crap out in my mind to save dwindling time and sanity? Thanks, imagination! Not sure what I'd do without you. Probably live a fulfilling life or something.

If the pervasive impression could be summed up with one sentence, it would be "oh no, oh dear, this is just sad." You've sacrificed what little identity you could claim to have, simply for a shameless, greedy, cynical trend chaser. It's so cowardly, so creatively absent for a series that once used to at least try to do its own thing. The box blurb should read "We don't care anymore, we just want your money. Give us your money...look, we're dancing your favourite dance! The one you keep saying you like? Well, we're dancing it! You have to like and give us money now, why wouldn't you if you said this was your favourite dance???" It's sad. Now I'm sad. For COD of all things. A series that no one should be sad for.

Kyrian007:
The bows and slingshot all have similar stats, but they give you a crossbow in "tutorial island" so you don't get a chance to get a slingshot or recurve until you get some unlocks. Plus the slingshot is the most useful because it comes with unlimited ammo, as a rock to the noggin on lowest level enemies seems to be as effective as arrow to the head. But the "slingshot" can still fire all types of arrows that the bows can as well AND it effectively makes the range of the "distraction rock" unlimited and pinpoint accurate as well. Using rocks you can lure guys into bliss fields from Sniper rifle range, then switch to the rifle and shoot them where their corpses fall into the bliss and someone has to trip over it to see it.

You can fire more than rocks?? This was not at all known. But now it is known and must be tested on supple human noggins!

Pokemon Let's Go Eevee. Which is fucking with my head given I still keep expecting it to be just a modern remake of Gen 1 but then keep having to remind myself that the levelling works on Pokemon Go logic which I'm... not entirely fond of.

Playing it and missing pure Gen 1 turn-based combat has for some reason put me on a JRPG kick so I'm fighting the urge to buy myself a PS Vita and start binge-playing all the Final Fantasy games.

I finished Hollow Knight. Good game. Just started Salt and Sanctuary, another highly regarded 2D indie Soulslike platformer.

Well, my most recent game purchase was (after a month of silence from the developers) finally made partially worth the expense. Yes, after a month of no communication, Avalanche Studios has patched Just Cause 4 from its broken, can't play for more than 5 minutes without a crash to desktop state... into a mostly working state. And ITS...

Kind of meh. Everything that makes Just Cause fun is still there, but they buried it with a layer of new stuff that a: isn't necessary and b: looks like its breaking the physics engine over its knee. For every change they made, they had to make another change that makes the first change not suck. Now you can customize the grappler with a bunch of new features! And you can set those features in pre-set saved loadouts so you can quickly switch back to the only useful settings... the ones from Just Cause 3. Now every single weapon has a fun secondary fire mode! That was needed because they removed explosives and grenades and nearly every new secondary mode is just a replacement for the grenade button. They reworked the way you conquer territory to make the game less repetitive! Now you take over territory by clicking on the territory name on the map after you get an arbitrary number of points... that's somehow better?

Its even dumber that that though. Unlike previous games, in JC 4 enemy bases you wreck... regenerate their exploded radar dishes and fuel tanks and the like every time you load up the game. So, if you are short a little on the chaos bar to unlock that next area the solution is... quit and reload the game and then to go to a base that your forces already took over and re-wreck the base again, killing who knows how many friendly fighters are walking around in the process, until that bar gets full.

Its still there, under a thick layer of "no, this isn't just an add-on pack for JC 3. SEEEEE all the changes we made!" To which should be replied, "yes, all the changes that made the game inferior to previous entries in the series."

Seriously, an entire month with not so much as a "yes, we are still working on a patch." What the hell is that Avalanche? I'm not seeing any microtransactions... yet. But there IS a place where you can change skins... and there are so far only 2 choices... so more skins and at least a couple of DLCs still incoming.

Last days I'm pretty addicted to happy wheels because of my brother, he loves playing it.

I still haven't finished any of the games I got during the last (I think Fall) steam sale. I don't have nearly as much time as I would like and I made the mistake of buying a bunch of time sink games.

1. Grimdawn
2. Monster Hunter World
3. Rainbow Six Siege
4. Total War Warhammer II

I haven't even installed Warhammer yet...

I finished Detroit: Become Human. It plays like a David Cage game. It has its strong gameplay moments (the crime investigation scenes are particularly interesting), and unlocking paths feels satisfactory once you reach them. It still is a QTEs fest (even dialogue options have a timer, although you cheat those by pausing at any time), and it always prompts the player to do weird combinations of button pressing and stick moves in an attempt to imitate the action on screen (you open doors the same way you'd do a Hadouken).

The game has three simultaneous stories that intersect at certain points. It has better narrative than a visual novel, but much less wacky, more bothersome to explore (you can jump to specific chapters you have already completed, but you can't fast-forward the sections you already watched) and with more heavy handed symbolism (it wouldn't be a David Cage story without the latter). The story relies so much in tropes and allegories that I found out that the optimal path was to choose the most tropey options. By the way, are there many games out there about sneaking out of a country occupied by the Third Reich? Because a large part at the end felt like that (and if the characters get caught, they get sent to a concentration camp).

Not a good game. It's enjoyable to play with an audience though (and maybe voting which path to take)

CaitSeith:
I finished Detroit: Become Human. It plays like a David Cage game. It has its strong gameplay moments (the crime investigation scenes are particularly interesting), and unlocking paths feels satisfactory once you reach them. It still is a QTEs fest (even dialogue options have a timer, although you cheat those by pausing at any time), and it always prompts the player to do weird combinations of button pressing and stick moves in an attempt to imitate the action on screen (you open doors the same way you'd do a Hadouken).

The game has three simultaneous stories that intersect at certain points. It has better narrative than a visual novel, but much less wacky, more bothersome to explore (you can jump to specific chapters you have already completed, but you can't fast-forward the sections you already watched) and with more heavy handed symbolism (it wouldn't be a David Cage story without the latter). The story relies so much in tropes and allegories that I found out that the optimal path was to choose the most tropey options. By the way, are there many games out there about sneaking out of a country occupied by the Third Reich? Because a large part at the end felt like that (and if the characters get caught, they get sent to a concentration camp).

Not a good game. It's enjoyable to play with an audience though (and maybe voting which path to take)

I'm playing Beyond: Two Souls Remastered now and am anxious to be done with it. The character movement is overly contextual on top of being awkward to begin with. 90% of it is just so cumbersome and repetitive to play, which is a shame because the narrative is rather well done. The most interesting part is simply watching the character interactions play out and making some of those choices, which means they could've easily just pulled a Bandersnatch and called it good.

I didn't mind playing through Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit as much, but back then I probably had more tolerance for shitty gameplay.

Right now, I'm playing Ace Combat 7. I'm only 5-6 chapters in, because I keep failing. I'm way out of practice on air fighter games of any stripe, which sucks because I used to be pretty good at the AC Games. Around a decade withour practice, though....

I'm, as usual, playing a DotP game on my PC when I'm near it.

When my friends are online, we've been playing Steep (because it was a freebie) or Wildlands MP. It's kind of awkward being a noob when everyone else is like, Prestige 30, but what can you do?

Current game is Octopath Traveller which is driving me categorically insane in that way JRPGs tend to do by making me put way too much thought into party balance to the point that I can't ever seem to stick with anything without second-guessing myself and getting the urge to start over from the beginning and play it differently.

Trying to find some balance of 6 weapon types and 6 elemental damage types as well as 4 different types of 'path actions' between only 4 party members is fucking maddening, truly.

I've been doing some walking simulators. Already finished my two favorites, What Remains of Edith Finch and Firewatch... probably a bad move honestly. Because the rest are wildcards. I know Soma and Tacoma are considered good. I've heard mixed things on Kona, Narcosis, and Layers of Fear.

But Lust for Darkness so far has been... very disappointing. It has stealth for no reason and it's bad. Like I actually stood and walked circles around a guard during a stealth segment and he only caught me when I hit sprint. It's trying to merge Lovecraft and Eroticism, but having a gaping vagina be your portal to the other world is just... dumb. The voice-acting is bad, the graphics are weak and lack a style for a walking sim. I'm glad it's only three hours.

Started Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd the other day. The game has a very unique feel for a Jrpg, the best thing to liken it to is The Answer from persona 3: fes. You're in an enclosed labyrinth-like dimension and you meet everyone you encountered throughout the first two games while getting periodical snippets and flashbacks about them, exploring what happened after the conclusion of the second game, while simultaneously discovering the past of the baddass priest/spy dude who was a side-char in the second game but now is the protagonist. Also they introduce a gluttonous nun with a snakesword (think Ivy's sword from SoulCal) who is really well written and a great char as well as making playable various side chars (and a couple reformed villains) which feels inherently like a treat.

It's a game you have to play the first two to appreciate but since both of those are also amazing story driven Jrpgs with that classic 16bit era feel to them it's an easy recommendation. The music is also excellent too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHSe9goesEk

ReservoirAngel:
Current game is Octopath Traveller which is driving me categorically insane in that way JRPGs tend to do by making me put way too much thought into party balance to the point that I can't ever seem to stick with anything without second-guessing myself and getting the urge to start over from the beginning and play it differently.

Trying to find some balance of 6 weapon types and 6 elemental damage types as well as 4 different types of 'path actions' between only 4 party members is fucking maddening, truly.

The fun is in constantly experimenting, as long as you have a basic grasp you can try new things while feeling safe you won't completely mess up and in that process discovering new approaches is why it's so much fun XD.

I sadly ran out of steam on Nioh recently (before being able to finish the game; probably didn't help that I was coming off of 150 hours of Dark Souls 3), so I wound up switching over to Nier:Automata for the first time.

Enjoying it so far, but I'm suddenly wondering if it was a good idea to have marathoned a 100% run text LP of Nier in preparation. With that context, I feel like I'm going into every mission with a sense of suspicion and detached nihilism, like the unforeseen consequences of what I don't know will hurt me and those around me, but I convince myself to go on and act based on the best information I have. And if I foresee a consequence coming, I'll deal with it when it comes. Sort of like Spec Ops: The Line, but not completely up its own ass.

That's just the story though. Otherwise, I'm going through the gameplay like a fun dance, or standing stock-still, utterly goddamn transfixed by the music. No, seriously, I found the jukebox for the first time, pulled up that song at random, and just did nothing for five minutes.

So far, my only problems are wondering where the hell all the upgrade materials are, and wondering what level I'm supposed to be to protect that peace parade, because everything takes so much damage...

Elfgore:
I've been doing some walking simulators. Already finished my two favorites, What Remains of Edith Finch and Firewatch... probably a bad move honestly. Because the rest are wildcards. I know Soma and Tacoma are considered good. I've heard mixed things on Kona, Narcosis, and Layers of Fear.

Out of the ones I played, I'd say I enjoyed Tacoma the most. I felt it had nice world-building, well-developed characters and a good sense of exploration. Soma is ok. I found myself increasingly annoyed by the player character as I went along, but explaining why would go into spoiler territory and your own mileage may vary.

Layers of Fear tho? That'll depend a lot on your tolerance for horror cliches. While it has some nice ideas and genuinely unsettling moments, it tends to undercut those by throwing near every horror trope in the book at you, sometimes in rapid succession, and trying to create the illusion of danger, but doing a poor job of it.

Elfgore:

I've played all of those 4 and I agree that Edith Finch and Firewatch are my favorites(in that order). Soma and Tacoma are good too, since Tacoma does some good horror, with the "Trapped at the bottom of the ocean and things are really messed up down here" feel(Basically, what I wanted from Bioshock and only half got). Tacoma is good but was less engaging then the others. It does pull off the "Slice of Life/Character stories" thing pretty well though, which is arguably more engaging then the main plot.

The waiting game. 2 hours to closing time. Day won't be over a minute too soon.

I just beat Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown's on all four difficulty's, currently playing the multiplayer, and the fact it has no co-op kind of drops the game's rating.

Also, Jump Force took most of Ace Combat 7's budget. The music is the weakest it has ever been.

I've been playing a lot of Tales of Berseria. I got it in a Humble Bundle a few months back (which was fortunate, as it'd been on my wishlist for a while) and I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I do. So far, my only grievance is that if my party leader is anyone other than Velvet, following some story events/cutscenes I'll be forced to re-jiggle my party formation to get it back to the way I want it. It does make sense sometimes, but it still bothers me, since I prefer playing as Magilou (Nagareboshi!!).

All this talk about Metroid Prime made me want to replay the Metroid Prime Trilogy, so I'm replaying the Wii version. It's been so long since last time I played them that I forgot where to go after reaching the Magmoor Caverns (eventually I remembered it)

I'm playing Tales of Vesperia (Switch).

About 6 hours in. It's ok. I sort of like the characters. It's still full of anime cliches, but they more or less break the usual mold for jrpg protags. Battle is system is fine. I do hope the game opens up more soon, because I'm feeling very railroaded. I often can't leave a new location until I watched all cutscenes (and there's quite a few of those), and I often can't return to old locations either. Also, how often is the game going to tell me character x left the party after a cutscene, only for them to rejoin the very next cutscene minutes later? And why are the ability to change party leader or switch which character I control in combat things you need to unlock through crafting instead of something you just naturally get? Seems kind of superfluous.

Finished Horizon Zero Dawn.

All in all a rather engaging open world game. A few issues here and there, such as the bunkers starting to feel rather samey after a while and all pretty much do the "Listen to audiologs and watch holograms" while wandering around in the dark and the fact what ledges can and cannot be climbed feel arbitrary at times.

Story was engaging though the backstory is incredibly fucking depressing, enough for a post-apoctolyptic game. Seriously, I'm not exactly a stranger to this genre. I've played Metro 2033 and most of the Fallout series, but yegads is the accounts of the end of days of (Our)Civilization fucking bleak. What makes it worse is near the end when

Just got to the painted world in Dark Souls 3. Those wolves can go fuck themselves. Also the giant wolf? He vanished after I pulled back to heal. Was that supposed to happen or did I glitch him and he's like stuck in the floor or something?

Silentpony:
Just got to the painted world in Dark Souls 3. Those wolves can go fuck themselves. Also the giant wolf? He vanished after I pulled back to heal. Was that supposed to happen or did I glitch him and he's like stuck in the floor or something?

Indeed. It was supposed to happen. When you hurt him enough you make him retreat anticlimactically.

I'll close out my look at Just Cause 4. Don't bother, unless it is on a DEEEEEEEP sale. I haven't finished it yet, I haven't bothered. But it could be over if I just sat down for an hour and finished it. Unlike previous Just Cause games, this has a... 7, maybe 8 hour run time. You could just take over the territories necessary to open the story missions (one mission each, unlike previous entries) and just a dozen or so missions later, game over, you win. And, they give you no reason to explore deeper. I was diligently doing all the stunt challenges and every side mission to unlock the useless grappler upgrades... and found out you can MAX OUT your upgrades before even getting 1/4 of the way through the game. Giving you no reason at all to do 75% of the stunt challenges and side missions in the game. So I stopped doing them. Because territory takeover has been reduced to "click on the red area on the map and it turns blue after either doing 1 mission or just do it when you get enough points for free" there is no reason to do anything in a new area except for the one mission (if necessary) and then just click on it and move to the next. There is a fairly sizeable map in the game... and no reason to ever bother exploring 90% of it.

Yes, some of the little locations on the map have challenges that unlock chopper deliveries. So you can get a car, truck, or plane delivered to you. Which you will never... ever need because with the grappler, wingsuit, and infinite parachute Rico can basically fly. You could get weapons delivered to you. Which you will never... ever need because with the grappler you can fight and kill the first enemy you see... and take his weapon if you really want one that badly. So again, no reason to sweat doing challenges at all. They should have just made it a linear mission based game. JC 2 and JC 3 could justify their maps and open world status... 4 cannot, it has no business being an open-world game.

The final straw came when I went to the northeastern portion of the map, the last area I chose to visit... so far I had been to amazing mountains, forests, verdant hills and plains, and interesting cities and coastlines. And in the northeast I found... a fucking desert. Brown, dune, a mesa, more brown... miles and miles of uninteresting brown. With nearly nothing in it. A full 3rd of the game is literal flyover country. That's why I haven't finished it yet. I can't bear much more. The game is fun, but between fun bits is just wingshotting across empty miles and miles of desert. It makes me not want to play. If you do buy JC 4, go northeast first. You will either get the boring part over quickly, or you will get so bored you will just find something better to do.

Peter Pansen:
At the moment I play Diablo 3 in hardcore mode again (it's fun when you must stay alive) and rest of the time I play Counter-Strike Global Offensive. I'm not global elite there or even close to it but it's fun to bet on my favorite cs:go team on www.counterstrikebullshit.com and the idea of killing terrorists is really exciting and never gets old I think.

Oi you! Get outta here with that gambling advertisement crap.

Played through Gris tonight. It's 3-4 hours long so pretty quick. It's a beautiful game and a fairly good platformer even if you can't actually die. You do gain new abilities as you go to progress to different parts of the game. I do particularly like how the world starts out barren and grey and as you go you find new colors which then make the world brighter and fuller. It's apparently about Grief and/or Depression, but since there's no dialogue and the visuals are so surreal and abstract, sure why not? At times I was unsure if the whole thing wasn't meant to be a dream or an acid trip.

But yeah, pretty good for what it is.

Just finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I ended up really liking it. It's a bit slow at times but I will put some of that down to me trying to find every last collectable. But the token magic monsters are creepy enough when they show up and the action ramps up towards the end too, it's quite enjoyable. I don't know why this game got so much hate, the core game play is fun, the story is meh I agree, but the game itself is fine. I'm kinda intrigued as to where the story goes next, with Lara vowing not to take herself so seriously and the game ending with a shot of her with a T Rex. So that might be a hint...Maybe.

Currently playing through Spider-Man dlc "The City That Never Sleeps". Finished "The Heist" last night, the story is decent enough as the beginning of the story and swinging around New York is still fun, even when you screw it up and face plant into a wall. But there is not a lot to do if you've done everything in the main game, so it is mainly the story, a few crime missions and Screwball challenges to do. But, it has allowed me to (eventually) get the platinum trophy for the main game, my 20th, woo hoo!!!!!!!!

I hope to have Spider-Man done by the end of the weekend. So, The Escapist decides, what next? Subnautica or God of War?

Meandered back into Destiny (at the prodding of friends mainly) to see whats about, in their first big patch/update post-Activision (though I imagine the entire "Annual Pass" up through September is still technically in transition).

While I was able to achieve more progress in their RNG wormhole of nonsense nothingburger progression in 3 days then in the last month I had played (still not able to do the raid/dungeon from Forsaken though, with a cumulative six weeks of milestones though). There wasn't a whole lot to see.

They added machine guns back, though most of those are locked up in the Annual Pass exclusive Armory (which the game helpfully directed me to, and won't stop directing me to, despite me not owning it). The showpiece quest of the update to get the (returning) Last Word is another mostly filler excursion of doing X things X times, spanning across all the game modes because they still don't get that their PvP game is terrible even if you enjoy Vs play, and half (or more, based on polls) their playerbase wants nothing to do with it all.

Oh, and trying to do the last of those milestones, was more of their hopelessly awful platforming (First Person, + floaty as hell jumping + a total lack of friction + irregular surfaces and invisible hitboxes). And in their lovely "Ascendant Plane", which is a pile of black and grey everything filter, which makes about half the stuff in it (including both platforms, and flying meteors that knock you out of the air jumping between them) totally invisible to my vision deficiency for low-contrasts (black on black, dark grey on black, orange on brown, etc). Naturally, despite their colour-blind options, they don't bother having a contrast setting (And the brightness one seems to do nothing to the filter (which is a common issue with games that use black fog effects instead of actual dark unlit areas).

Anyhow, Warframe's got the Profit Taker update on console now, alongside a Prime Unvaulting, and the tail end of the Acolyte event. 'bout halfway through getting Frost Prime.

Catfood220:

I hope to have Spider-Man done by the end of the weekend. So, The Escapist decides, what next? Subnautica or God of War?

I've heard nothing but good things about God of War (other then here and an intrusion annoying level scaling mechanics), but haven't played it myself.

Subnautica depends pretty heavily on how novel/terrifying you find the underwater concept to be. If that concept doesn't engage you, its just kind of wandering around finding audiologs for several hours with some generally tedious grinding, and a meter babbling (literally) at you periodically (Hunger and Thirst are fairly early on trivialized entirely. As is the weird wont of most survival games)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 . . . 31 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here