What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 . . . 32 NEXT

I picked up Genesis: Alpha One the other day, and I must say first impressions have been good. Very good, in fact.

G:AO is a 1st person sci-fi Roguelike, and the aim of the game is to ultimately colonize alien worlds to ensure the survival of humanity. However, your colony ship is - initially - a scout vessel at best. You must build and expand your ship to accommodate the needs of your crew and your mission, paying careful heed to what resources are available. You need plants for air, so greenhouse modules are a must. Tractor beams can salvage space wreckage, hangers can launch shuttles to perform mining operations on planets, refineries are used to convert mined ore into usable materials, biotanks store genetic material for the growth and adaptation of new clones (crew), reactors of course power everything, and things like workshops research and manufacture new weapons.

And you're going to need lots of weapons.

As previously mentioned, G:AO is a Roguelike, and what is a Roguelike without copious amounts of danger with which to mercilessly punish your every unwitting mistake? Beaming aboard salvage from a debris field can bring aboard more than just precious metals - lifeforms can be beamed aboard as well, which can burrow into the crawlspaces of your ship, attacking your crew or ships systems (protect those greenhouses!). Alien pathogens can spread like wildfire through the crew, and away missions to alien worlds always (and I mean always) result in large scale firefights with the locals.

It's worth it though, as mining expeditions provide your ship not only with much needed mineral resources, but with biological matter as well with which to expand the bio-diversity of your greenhouses. Collect enough samples of alien DNA, and you can begin splicing it into the base stock of human clones at your disposal allowing you to create crew members with particular traits and specializations. Powerful artifacts can be unearthed, and both crew genetic diversity and artifacts are preserved between games, allowing you to carry over *some* of your previous successes to aid in future missions.

TL;DR - Part FTL, part No Man's Sky, and part Alien, Genesis: Alpha One has been a very welcome surprise at a time of year when game pickings are normally quite thin on the ground. If, like me, you grew up on 70s and 80s Sci-Fi, you really should give this one a go.

Catfood220:

I hope to have Spider-Man done by the end of the weekend. So, The Escapist decides, what next? Subnautica or God of War?

I haven't played Dad of Bo...er, God of War but I can vouch that Subnautica is worth a try. I don't particularly care for survival games but this one spoke to me quite a bit. And the expansion Below Zero just hit early access.

Finished Metroid Prime for the Wii. Now I'm starting Metroid Prime 2. I still enjoy the sci-fi horror ambiance at the starting area that first got me into buying the Game Cube version over a decade ago (space soldier corpses reanimated by a symbiotic alien organism? MP2 did Dead Space first!).

Dreiko:

ReservoirAngel:
Current game is Octopath Traveller which is driving me categorically insane in that way JRPGs tend to do by making me put way too much thought into party balance to the point that I can't ever seem to stick with anything without second-guessing myself and getting the urge to start over from the beginning and play it differently.

Trying to find some balance of 6 weapon types and 6 elemental damage types as well as 4 different types of 'path actions' between only 4 party members is fucking maddening, truly.

The fun is in constantly experimenting, as long as you have a basic grasp you can try new things while feeling safe you won't completely mess up and in that process discovering new approaches is why it's so much fun XD.

My problem with it is mostly that whoever you pick as the first character you play with is in your party forever and I've yet to find any combination of other characters to follow Cyrus that doesn't result in the bosses of their respective Chapter Ones being bullshit difficult by the time you pick up the 3rd traveller.

And before anyone bothers to say it yes I need to start with Cyrus because Cyrus is the best character and I'll be cold in the ground before I ever willingly begin a fantasy game with anyone but a magic user.

Played through and finished FAR: Lone Sails. I'm not sure what to say about it. The phrase that comes to mind is "It's about the Journey not the Destination". It's essentially a cross country journey in a weird steam powered boat/truck vehicle that alternates between a simplistic system of operating the machine through it's various components(the fueling system, the engine, etc), occasionally getting out to clear an obstacle and occasional stretches of quiet time when the wind picks up and you can just let the sails(because it has sails) push you along and enjoy the music and the scenery. Which is quite pretty if empty and bleak, like the world has passed on and you're just traveling through.

It feels almost meditative at times, while the overall focus seems to be that of experiencing a very long trip and kind soaking in the almost terry gilliam-ish worldbuilding. There's some gameplay and while mostly simplisitic, there's enough variation to keep it from getting rote and boring, but there's a real sense of being an art game, especially with it's 3 hour playtime.

And there's nothing wrong with that. It's not gonna win any game awards or blow anyone's mind for originality and it's very much not for everyone. It does seem to have an idea what it wants to be and does a fairly good job of it and while once is pretty much enough for this particular game it doesn't feel like a waste of my time or money.

Just beat Deacons of the Deep in Dark Souls 3. As far as hoard-type bosses go, this one was pretty fun. It took a few tries but what I liked about it is if you're quick and efficient you can take the collective down pretty easily, which is critical since you can be cursed if taking too long. And the way it's designed that could easily happen playing passively or safely, either running around the monolith or wasting too much time thinning out the herd.

Not sure where to go next though, as the big door on the other end is a dead end overlooking the destroyed bridge and the castle. I've been doing pretty well with my Deprived build, lvl 4 Astora's straight sword and Crest shield, but really think some insight would be helpful with certain things. Like if there's anyone looking to pick off any of my allies in the shrine. The blobby thing that gives out Soul levels isn't responding to me at the moment, and I suspect the witchy woman nearby might have something to do with it.

I'm guessing transposing is the new ascension, but perhaps with a twist. My first attempt involved a ring; figured if it let me do so there had to be something to gain from it. One thing that seems quite a bit different this time around is Souls are tougher to come by. I think I'm going to save up instead of leveling up until I get the key for that tower outside. But then again it's probably available for free somewhere later on.

Dalisclock:

I haven't played Dad of Bo...er, God of War but I can vouch that Subnautica is worth a try. I don't particularly care for survival games but this one spoke to me quite a bit. And the expansion Below Zero just hit early access.

So, with an overwhelming majority of 1 to total indifference from everyone else, the winner is...SUBNAUTICA!!!!!!!

OK, I started playing on Sunday and I haven't got very far, either me not saving or the game deciding not to save and losing an hour of progress didn't help matters either. But first impressions are that wow, this game is stunning and Crash fish can fuck off. But the game is not as daunting as I thought it was going to be, just swimming about I was able to find most of what I needed to build the tools that I needed. Water was a problem to begin with, I was sure the game would give me the blueprint for a water reclamation unit, that would make sense. Nope, you have to catch Bladderfish to get drinkable water. Of course, that makes perfect sense. So I've set about emptying the ocean of everything edible, I am a one man extinction level event.

So I've been swimming about and exploring, not run into anything truly terrible yet. But last night I ran into a Reefback and was immediately entranced by this huge lumbering whale type thing. I am really enjoying this game, I think I won't when I do run into something scary, but for now it's good. And by the end of the game I will of eaten all the fish in the sea and littered the ocean with floating lockers. For I am human and this is what we do.

CaitSeith:
(space soldier corpses reanimated by a symbiotic alien organism? MP2 did Dead Space first!).

Cough*Halo*Cough

Speaking of that, I've finished Halo Wars 2, or at least the vanilla campaign. Going through the Operation Spearbreaker add-on now, and it's not doing anything to fix the issues I have with the game.

Like HW1, HW2 is starting the race with a bullet in its foot in that you have an RTS being designed for a controller, which means the game can't achieve the same tactical depth a PC-based RTS might. Unlike HW1, HW2 fails to do anything memorable in its campaign, with its mission design and story/characters feeling like a step down (and in some cases, these are the SAME CHARACTERS). Despite being a game sequel, if anything, it feels more like a direct to DVD movie sequel. Like, you're paying the same price for a watered-down experience. And Operation Spearbreaker is even more watered down in that regard.

Right now, definitely my second least favourite Halo game. :(

Catfood220:

Dalisclock:

So, with an overwhelming majority of 1 to total indifference from everyone else, the winner is...SUBNAUTICA!!!!!!!

OK, I started playing on Sunday and I haven't got very far, either me not saving or the game deciding not to save and losing an hour of progress didn't help matters either. But first impressions are that wow, this game is stunning and Crash fish can fuck off. But the game is not as daunting as I thought it was going to be, just swimming about I was able to find most of what I needed to build the tools that I needed. Water was a problem to begin with, I was sure the game would give me the blueprint for a water reclamation unit, that would make sense. Nope, you have to catch Bladderfish to get drinkable water. Of course, that makes perfect sense. So I've set about emptying the ocean of everything edible, I am a one man extinction level event.

So I've been swimming about and exploring, not run into anything truly terrible yet. But last night I ran into a Reefback and was immediately entranced by this huge lumbering whale type thing. I am really enjoying this game, I think I won't when I do run into something scary, but for now it's good. And by the end of the game I will of eaten all the fish in the sea and littered the ocean with floating lockers. For I am human and this is what we do.

You can make water a lot more efficiently once you
-Make a knife
-Use said knife to cut and collect some of the coral
-Collect salt crystals on the sea floor not far from the safe shallows.
-COmbine salt and coral to make bleach, then use the bleach to make purified water, which is significantly more filling then the bladderfish kind.

Also, another word of advice if you haven't figured it out already. You should be able to make beacons from the start. Do so and always carry one with you. Use them to mark notable locations and far more importantly, entrances to underwater caves. Especially the caves because they float in place exactly where you place them and knowing where the EXIT of said cave can be a lifesaver when you're lost inside(and possibly running low on food/air/water). . Also, they can be named and renamed as needed, as well as turned on/off in your HUD so you don't have to worry about sorting through 50 different beacons if you don't want to.

Currently playing Wandersong, which looks like a flash game but is more like a rhythm game combined with an adventure game and a platformer, that feels like a parody/homage to RPG tropes. It's fairly lighthearted and a sense of whimsy(oh god, why did I use that word?)...sense of fun while having a sense of progression and stakes. Notably, it's a game where you play as a bard whose goal to save the world is accomplished mostly by singing at various things along with some light puzzle solving. It's kinda cheesy but I'm digging it.

Ace Combat 7:
Great game, wish there was more of it...

The first Assassin's Creed game.

Though dear god, hunting Templars and flags in the Kingdom map is testing the limits of my patience with it right now.

ReservoirAngel:

Though dear god, hunting Templars and flags in the Kingdom map is testing the limits of my patience with it right now.

Yeah, the ubisoft collectathon started early. I didn't even bother with the flags/templars.

I am curious to go back and replay it someday to see how it feels compared to some of the others. The earliest game in the series I've replayed is AC2. I have to wonder how I would feel about the original playing it now.

And for context, I played it around the time it first came out and found it....ok bordering on good at times, more for concept then execution so there was no nostalgia or comparing to AC2 going on at the time.

Catfood220:

Dalisclock:

Reefbacks were pretty cool. If you get a seamoth, they have attachable lockers. Portable lockers are way better than the floating ones

Catfood220:

Dalisclock:

I replied, but I think it was shuffled off by a page flip.

Food and Water are going to be basically irrelevant within less then 2 hours if you happen to pick up the right things (which are all along the main story waypoints from your radio). That was probably my main critique of the game, that every gameplay mechanic it has becomes staggeringly irrelevant very quickly (I wouldn't suggest bothering too much with combat options either as a heads up).

Thats not exactly uncommon in the survival genre, but yeah, Subnautica very quickly turns into a walk--- err, swimming simulator with some resource grinding attached. Which was my original reply to your query too, come for the underwater atmosphere and if that doesn't do anything for you, don't bother.

Seth Carter:

Catfood220:

Dalisclock:

I replied, but I think it was shuffled off by a page flip.

Food and Water are going to be basically irrelevant within less then 2 hours if you happen to pick up the right things (which are all along the main story waypoints from your radio). That was probably my main critique of the game, that every gameplay mechanic it has becomes staggeringly irrelevant very quickly (I wouldn't suggest bothering too much with combat options either as a heads up).

Thats not exactly uncommon in the survival genre, but yeah, Subnautica very quickly turns into a walk--- err, swimming simulator with some resource grinding attached. Which was my original reply to your query too, come for the underwater atmosphere and if that doesn't do anything for you, don't bother.

I got tired of the food/water meters probably in the last 3rd because it was so easy to get more the only time it became a problem was if you didn't have any supplies nearby(in some of the endgame deep sea caverns, where there are no bladderfish and only your robot mech can go that deep. I kinda wished I'd picked the mode without the food water meters.

However, air can still screw you if you don't pay attention and there are danderous predators enough to keep you from feeling completely safe, so "Swimming" simulator doesn't really fit. I will agree that the underwater thing or the sea monsters aren't keeping your attention, probably not worth contining on.

Dalisclock:

I got tired of the food/water meters probably in the last 3rd because it was so easy to get more the only time it became a problem was if you didn't have any supplies nearby(in some of the endgame deep sea caverns, where there are no bladderfish and only your robot mech can go that deep. I kinda wished I'd picked the mode without the food water meters.

However, air can still screw you if you don't pay attention and there are danderous predators enough to keep you from feeling completely safe, so "Swimming" simulator doesn't really fit. I will agree that the underwater thing or the sea monsters aren't keeping your attention, probably not worth contining on.

Dalisclock:

ReservoirAngel:

Yeah, the ubisoft collectathon started early. I didn't even bother with the flags/templars.

I am curious to go back and replay it someday to see how it feels compared to some of the others. The earliest game in the series I've replayed is AC2. I have to wonder how I would feel about the original playing it now.

And for context, I played it around the time it first came out and found it....ok bordering on good at times, more for concept then execution so there was no nostalgia or comparing to AC2 going on at the time.

It's a game that I utterly love but that frustrates me like nothing else. Not only because going back to it now the controls are clunky and sometimes you tend to feel like you are at best vaguely suggesting what you want Altair to do rather than actually controlling him directly, but because the game has an odd approach to difficulty curves. Rather than making the assassinations themselves harder the game's solution is to just throw more cheap bullshit in between you and anything you ever want to do.

So by the last memory block, which is where I am now, an average street contains about 5 bitches who will harass you for money constantly, about 10 drunk or insane people who will constantly shove you if you get anywhere near them, and a constantly respawning patrol of guards who will instantly spot you as an Assassin the moment you do anything but stand perfectly still disguised as a monk, so that any combat you get into basically never ends.

Final district tasks like saving citizens or the investigation tasks you have to do usually without being spotted become less a difficulty and more a fucking chore to get through sometimes.

So I finished the Awakening the Nightmare DLC for Halo Wars 2. And of the three campaigns (vanilla, Spearbreaker, this), have to say it was the best of the bunch. Certainly it has the most creative mission design, and while the story isn't anything spectacular, it at least benefits from a tighter focus with two main characters. Plus, unlike HW2, which appears to have 'neutered' its characters in some regards, Voridus and Pavium are effectively constantly bickering, so that's some nice fluff there. Oh, and the Flood are back, which is awesome not only in of itself, but because the DLC really sells just how dangerous the Flood actually are...

...and it appears I'm one of the few who know this, because going by achievements, less than 5% of people have finished the DLC.

Anyway, moved onto RE2. Really too early to say anything, but I like what I've seen so far. Even as someone who's played plenty of RE games, it's a good sign when the game has found a way to make zombies unnerve me again.

Just finished the Genocide run of Undertale. I never really WANTED to do a Genocide run, but I've always wanted to know if I could actually pull off beating the final boss of that run. Took about 25 tries, but I got it.

So, now I'm moving on to playing Breath of the Wild, alongside Kingdom Hearts 3, and World of Warcraft.

Just got the Ringed City DLC and its kicking my ass. Love it!

Horizon Zero Dawn.
I wasn't super impressed with the whole beginning of the game.
Like most AAA games it starts slow and basically on a rail. The presentation also felt lacking, especially coming from something as polished as RDR2. I'm not a fan of the Bethesda-y style of standing two people face to face and then cutting back and forth as I trod through the dialogue branch like I'm pushing buttons on an exposition dispenser. These "cutscenes" are blocked so poorly. The uncanny clash between dead eyes and wild gesticulation doesn't help.
The "game" part of the game though is a lot of fun. Reminds me of Just Cause 2, Far Cry 3, Shadows of Mordor. There's sheer enjoyment in the way the character feels and controls. Moving around is fun, combat is fun, stealthing is fun. Chore mechanics that are both fun and useful as well as responsive controls go a long way.

ReservoirAngel:

You can just ignore those completely, I don't believe you get anything for hunting either. Not even trophies, depending what you're playing on.

Johnny Novgorod:
I'm not a fan of the Bethesda-y style of standing two people face to face and then cutting back and forth as I trod through the dialogue branch like I'm pushing buttons on an exposition dispenser. These "cutscenes" are blocked so poorly. The uncanny clash between dead eyes and wild gesticulation doesn't help.

That's the Bioware style, Bethesda didn't pick it up til Fallout 4.

Still at Warframe. I think the Profit Taker heists were a little off-designed as accessibility goes. Eidolons are available actually well before you can even fight them, but getting to the Profit Taker heists requires max ranking Fortuna, which is over a week, even for my MR/daily standing cap.

Been playing For Honor a bit too since that was the freebie this month. Breach, which is new to my prior experience with the game presents some more interesting strategy. Though it also doubles down on "stupid mook unit interrupts the actual engaging combat" with even tougher more annoying mooks. Also the flag mechanic in that mode is kind of awful. Its massively important to winnning quickly, but literally has no notification and doesn't seem to be on any particular timer to when it comes up.

In other freebies, been placing fairly solid top 5 runs on Apex Legends.

Seth Carter:

Johnny Novgorod:
I'm not a fan of the Bethesda-y style of standing two people face to face and then cutting back and forth as I trod through the dialogue branch like I'm pushing buttons on an exposition dispenser. These "cutscenes" are blocked so poorly. The uncanny clash between dead eyes and wild gesticulation doesn't help.

That's the Bioware style, Bethesda didn't pick it up til Fallout 4.

Fair enough though Skyrim was kinda doing the same before that.

Finished Wandersong. Really ended up liking it, with it's loving satire of Video game RPG tropes and manages to be both incredibly sweet and rather dark and somehow it just works. The fact that you are desperately trying to stop the world from ending even as it's clearly falling apart doesn't deminish the sense of optimism the game manages to hold onto, but the game does do service to the Bard trying to maintain that optimism even as things collapse and near victories are snatched away by the "hero" who constantly makes things worse because GLORY!

Oh, and not only is it a rythem(as well as a platformer/adventure) game, it's actually a fucking musical and somehow pulls that off.

So yeah, generally good all around, even though the colorful graphics make it tempting to write it off as cheap or kiddie.

Started Assassins Creed: Odyssey and recently got the boat and reached the mainland. So far rather enjoying it. The issues I've heard people complain about haven't really been an issue for me, other then the mercenaries being rather obnoxious and kinda showing up out of nowhere the moment they feel like it.

I'm still with the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Finally completed MP2 (my favorite in the series), and I'm starting with the third one.

Finished my Walking Sim binge. SOMA and Tocoma were both really amazing. SOMA for it's setting and amazing finale. Tocoma for it's slice of life and themes.

That was like a few weeks ago though, during that time and now I finished both Metro Redux games. I loved the first one a lot, Last Light though is really boring though. I had to force myself to finish and eventually resorted to cheats to finish. I don't know why, it just didn't catch me.

Now I'm onto Half-Life, which I'm planning on doing a full series playthrough of. I'm about finished with the first game and it's pretty alright. The game looks downright amazing for something that came out in 1998 and the shooting and weapons selection is amazing. But the platforming, incredibly loud and repetitive noises, and crouching is pretty obnoxious.

Got For Honour for free. For free! The only price I've felt willing to pay for any "liiiive seervice." And am very surprised to find myself getting quite into it. Am not a multiplayer, fighting game sort of person by any stretch, yet here is exactly that and this is me getting exactly into it. What the hell. If it wasn't free, I would have never known. Not sure what makes it different that encourages less boredom and frustration, but it is a daily compulsion now. Any tips or experience on what Characters are best and such, am all ears on that shit. Currently trying to perfect double blade Knight woman because the ripost maneuvers are so damn satisfying. for the 1% of occasions they don't fail anyway.

Peacekeeper. That's that one!

Katamari Damacy Rerolled.

Controls took some getting used to but the rest of it is pretty much entirely summed up as "YAY!". Except the King of All Cosmos. He's kind of a massive asshole.

Johnny Novgorod:
Horizon Zero Dawn.
Like most AAA games it starts slow and basically on a rail. The presentation also felt lacking, especially coming from something as polished as RDR2. I'm not a fan of the Bethesda-y style of standing two people face to face and then cutting back and forth as I trod through the dialogue branch like I'm pushing buttons on an exposition dispenser. These "cutscenes" are blocked so poorly. The uncanny clash between dead eyes and wild gesticulation doesn't help.

If you ever play the Frozen Wilds DLC you'll find it improves pretty significantly on the framing and animation of the dialoge scenes. There's even a dude somewhere in the main game that was added to point you toward the DLC area, and his animations are so drastically better than when you talk to a plot relevant NPC a few feet away.

I got bored grinding my way through the Ringed City so I'm taking a DS3 break to play some Fractured But Whole as a lady assassin/brutalist/plant superheroe.

Casual Shinji:

Johnny Novgorod:
Horizon Zero Dawn.

If you ever play the Frozen Wilds DLC you'll find it improves pretty significantly on the framing and animation of the dialoge scenes. There's even a dude somewhere in the main game that was added to point you toward the DLC area, and his animations are so drastically better than when you talk to a plot relevant NPC a few feet away.

That's good to hear. The game itself is fine, but I've come to loathe talking to NPCs because they're so dull to look at/listen to yet I don't wanna skip any dialogue for fear of missing out on the lore.

ReservoirAngel:

I can't imagine that game has aged well. Always meant to play it, but Black Flag and Odyssey I think have spoiled me.

Johnny Novgorod:

Casual Shinji:

That's good to hear. The game itself is fine, but I've come to loathe talking to NPCs because they're so dull to look at/listen to yet I don't wanna skip any dialogue for fear of missing out on the lore.

Yeah, it's.. not the best. I'm usually okay with this Bioware styled character interaction, but you need to have very good/interesting characters and very good voice acting, and H:ZD doesn't. There's one or two characters that I kinda like, but overall it's pretty meager. There is actually some really nice lore throughout the game, especially near the final third, but it lacks the characterisation to really bring it to life.

I returned to Persona 3. I got stuck about a month ago in a mini-boss fight, and I went back to the game recently to do some grinding to have a persona with Media (aka, heal all party members). Funny enough, the boss was way easier.

Got back into Kingdom Come: Deliverance and finally beat the irksome Weeds quest. It wasn't really as bad as some people made it out to be at least; just a bit tedious and needing careful attention.

That's part of what I really dig about the game in general though: it's the attention to detail in gameplay that make it more rewarding, whether it's combat, crafting potions or simply sharpening your sword. I just won my first Rattay tournament quest and it was pretty exhilarating. At a glance the combat can appear clumsy and awkward, but to me playing it is better than anything in recent memory because of how nuanced the mechanics are. I also

Balance might be an issue with some of the perks but overall it's been challenging enough, especially with multiple opponents. I'm definitely not proficient with anything yet in terms of feinting and setting up combos, but my parrying was good enough to get the upper hand. I really need to get a good mace because that sucker was fun to use against heavy armor.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 . . . 32 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here