What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 . . . 37 NEXT

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey DLC... (wondering if I should grind to get stuff from the Oikos, but it's annoying the fucker only stocks one legendary item a week)
And Rome: Total War (own mod)... still... (eh... four provinces, then Rome, and done...!)

Will basically finish both this week (plus side-quests etc.), so will probably move on to Horizon: Zero Dawn ('cos I still haven't finished it) and Rome: Total Realism VII (I'm nothing if not predictable).

Silentpony:
I can't imagine that game has aged well. Always meant to play it, but Black Flag and Odyssey I think have spoiled me.

To me, no, it hasn't aged well, both in terms of graphics and gameplay. Nailing a counter with the blade vs any enemy is still satisfying though, I'll give it that, but the 'sidequests' are still repetitive beyond belief (and necessary, annoyingly) and ultimately, there isn't actually much to do and there are too many mandatory grindy fights.

With both Black Flag and Odyssey, both are hella fun, but damn are they basically NOT Assassin's Creed games in terms of original intent. I'm so jacked up in AC:Ody, depending on location, I'll just leeroy-jenkins it a lot of the time, which kind of defeats the purpose of 'assassin'-ing...

Still play 2 a fair bit. Hasn't aged that well either (gameplay is still pretty solid, though, I think), but (perhaps unfortunately) I think 2 was the apex of the series in terms of balance of ambition and achieving said ambition.

SckizoBoy:
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey DLC... (wondering if I should grind to get stuff from the Oikos, but it's annoying the fucker only stoc

Silentpony:
I can't imagine that game has aged well. Always meant to play it, but Black Flag and Odyssey I think have spoiled me.

To me, no, it hasn't aged well, both in terms of graphics and gameplay. Nailing a counter with the blade vs any enemy is still satisfying though, I'll give it that, but the 'sidequests' are still repetitive beyond belief (and necessary, annoyingly) and ultimately, there isn't actually much to do and there are too many mandatory grindy fights.

With both Black Flag and Odyssey, both are hella fun, but damn are they basically NOT Assassin's Creed games in terms of original intent. I'm so jacked up in AC:Ody, depending on location, I'll just leeroy-jenkins it a lot of the time, which kind of defeats the purpose of 'assassin'-ing...

Still play 2 a fair bit. Hasn't aged that well either (gameplay is still pretty solid, though, I think), but (perhaps unfortunately) I think 2 was the apex of the series in terms of balance of ambition and achieving said ambition.

See that's where my thought processes take me to. I really enjoyed Blackflag and Odyssey, but like you said, they're almost nothing like the original Ass Creed games.
So its hard to work up the courage to play 1&2 knowing 'Having fun' might by the opposite of what Ass creed was meant to be

I'm still on Horizon Zero Dawn. My opinion is more or less unchanged: one helluva fun central mechanic, gorgeous landscape, good lore, mediocre story, lousy acting and dialogue, dull presentation. Most of my complaints could be filed under "don't miss until it's not there"; my biggest problem is the jumping. Aloy's jump is so puny it can't cover anything half her height, nor can she grab to anything that isn't color-coded, so jumping is completely useless unless you're climbing up a pre-set path to a shrine or something.

On a minor note, I'm surprised how the game doesn't really gate your progress through the open world once you're done with the first act. This is good because the open parts of the game are the most fun, but it also means I'm not half done with the story and I've already leveled up past the point of having a challenging or relevant main mission.

Johnny Novgorod:
my biggest problem is the jumping. Aloy's jump is so puny it can't cover anything half her height, nor can she grab to anything that isn't color-coded, so jumping is completely useless unless you're climbing up a pre-set path to a shrine or something.

On a minor note, I'm surprised how the game doesn't really gate your progress through the open world once you're done with the first act. This is good because the open parts of the game are the most fun, but it also means I'm not half done with the story and I've already leveled up past the point of having a challenging or relevant main mission.

Jumping works great with Hunter Reflexes, though the actual act of jumping doesn't really do much like you say.

Level doesn't really matter much in Horizon as your damage doesn't really increase that much as you'll notice all the better weapons only add in element types vs stat increases. Once you understand how everything works, the game is pretty easy even on Very Hard (not sure about the new Ultra Hard mode). I house-ruled the Sharpshot bow out of the game along with corruption arrows on the War bow because both make the game joke easy really.

I was playing Detective Pikachu; but now I'm replaying Metroid: Samus Returns.

Phoenixmgs:

Johnny Novgorod:
my biggest problem is the jumping. Aloy's jump is so puny it can't cover anything half her height, nor can she grab to anything that isn't color-coded, so jumping is completely useless unless you're climbing up a pre-set path to a shrine or something.

Jumping works great with Hunter Reflexes, though the actual act of jumping doesn't really do much like you say.

I like Skyrim-ing (ie. brute-forcing) my way up a mountain, but the game is in dire need of a more versatile ledge grab/climb. Specially given the air-strike or whatever it's called ability.

By gating progress I guess I mean forcing the story a bit more on the player. As it is I can go wherever, whenever, which kinda breaks the illusion that I'm inching my way beyond the realm where Aloy has coddled herself all her life, and also breaks the flow when I can just fast-travel my way to the next story mission because I've been there already rather than take the epic scenic route.

Johnny Novgorod:
Aloy's jump is so puny it can't cover anything half her height, nor can she grab to anything that isn't color-coded, so jumping is completely useless unless you're climbing up a pre-set path to a shrine or something.

I wouldn't say the jumping is completely useless, since I've hopped myself up mountains and cliffs plenty of times, but it can use some non-scripted acrobatic action. Or maybe a bow ability that would allow you to hookshot a rope arrow; there's a lot of vertical structures that look amazing, but you can't really climb them except for a few select ones.

OT: Been playing Hollow Knight and it's pretty damn good. It's a total Souls clone, but it executes it extremely well. And oh yeah, fuck Deep Nest.

Finally doing the Borderlands 1 DLC. Completed The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned today. Tomorrow I will start the next DLC.

Silentpony:

SckizoBoy:
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey DLC... (wondering if I should grind to get stuff from the Oikos, but it's annoying the fucker only stoc

Silentpony:

See that's where my thought processes take me to. I really enjoyed Blackflag and Odyssey, but like you said, they're almost nothing like the original Ass Creed games.
So its hard to work up the courage to play 1&2 knowing 'Having fun' might by the opposite of what Ass creed was meant to be

I think it's worth asking what is an AC game? Or what is it that make Assassins Creed an Assassin's Creed game? Origins/Odyessy and Black Flag do deviate from the other entries in the series somewhat but then again, the main difference with Black Flag was the Piratey Focus rather then the Assassinating. Origins/Odyessy, OTOH, seem more combat/RPG mechanic focused then the rest of the games.

Where this gets tricky is that pretty much all of these I can point to "Proper" games in the series where these Mechanics Originated or were used earlier. The Skill tree showed up in Syndicate before it showed up in Origins and Syndicate was a lot more like an Old School AssCreed. Sailing showed up in AC3 first, albeit as Naval Combat only encounters for the most part.

What makes it really interesting is that people talk about Origins/Odyessy/Black Flag Not being Classic AssCreed, but for the most part, people don't seem to like the Classic games, except for 2(and 2 was excellant) and maybe Brotherhood. Revelations is basically Brotherhood in a different setting but with some engine improvements. AC3 gets dumped on(and there's some merit to that) pretty much whenever it's mentioned. Rogue mashed AC3 and AC4 together and threw on gimmicky story hook that doesn't work very well. Unity is fairly reviled. Syndicate apparently nobody played or cared about. I'm not sure if Liberation even counts here(but if it does, then Freedom Cry probably should too).

So apparently AC only impresses when it stops trying to be like AC and starts trying something very different, like being a Pirate Simulator or a Witcher 3 RPG type game.

Granted, that's my view off the top of my head. I'm more then happy to discuss Classic vs New Sassy Creed and what points I've missed here.

Dalisclock:
SNIP

My take was that Ass Creed was meant to be a AAA version of what a romanticized modern action version of a Holywood movie of a period piece is meant to be.
BlackFlag isn't a pirate game, its a Pirates of the Caribbean game. Odyssey isn't about real-world Greeks, its about Attack of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts and all that jazz.
The fact the in-game world is meant to be serious is just silly. Every Ass Creed movie is meant to star Vin Diseal, and every player character is meant to be played by Vin Diseal.

Casual Shinji:

Johnny Novgorod:
Aloy's jump is so puny it can't cover anything half her height, nor can she grab to anything that isn't color-coded, so jumping is completely useless unless you're climbing up a pre-set path to a shrine or something.

I wouldn't say the jumping is completely useless, since I've hopped myself up mountains and cliffs plenty of times, but it can use some non-scripted acrobatic action. Or maybe a bow ability that would allow you to hookshot a rope arrow; there's a lot of vertical structures that look amazing, but you can't really climb them except for a few select ones.

OT: Been playing Hollow Knight and it's pretty damn good. It's a total Souls clone, but it executes it extremely well. And oh yeah, fuck Deep Nest.

Admittedly I was somewhat disappointed by the jumping/climbing in HZD. It probably didn't help that I was coming off AC:Origins not long before that in and in AC:Origins you can climb almost anything. Apparently Aloy can only hold onto yellow things just like she can only hide in the red tall grass(because it matchers her hair color).

Silentpony:

Dalisclock:
SNIP

My take was that Ass Creed was meant to be a AAA version of what a romanticized modern action version of a Holywood movie of a period piece is meant to be.
BlackFlag isn't a pirate game, its a Pirates of the Caribbean game. Odyssey isn't about real-world Greeks, its about Attack of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts and all that jazz.
The fact the in-game world is meant to be serious is just silly. Every Ass Creed movie is meant to star Vin Diseal, and every player character is meant to be played by Vin Diseal.

Not quite how I would have put it but close enough. I do get amused by people chiding Odyessy for being unrealistic for reasons(usually revolving around Kassandra) but ignoring the parts where you can climb around on Zeus's giant stone wang, fight Medusa with ghost arrows that ignore walls, use your eagle like it's a drone aircraft and kill people with your 750,000 year old alien magic spear of leonidas.

Dalisclock:
Admittedly I was somewhat disappointed by the jumping/climbing in HZD. It probably didn't help that I was coming off AC:Origins not long before that in and in AC:Origins you can climb almost anything. Apparently Aloy can only hold onto yellow things just like she can only hide in the red tall grass(because it matchers her hair color).

The jumping is great for things her feet can reach. Like hitting that one rock in the middle of a river and skipping over without touching the water feels terrific. And if things are blatantly too high, it's too high. It's when you come across inclines that her toes just barely can't peek over, eventhough she should easily be able reach her arms over and pull herself up, that it becomes really immersion breaking.

On the whole Horizon: Zero Dawn was probably the most beautifully controlling game I've played in the last couple gens, let alone being an open world game. The climbing and platforming was mostly automatic but did it ever feel smooth. The jumping did occasionally get frustrating though because in some areas it's easy to spam, like trying to get up a rocky hill or out up a riverbank when escaping a machine or something.

Casual Shinji:

Dalisclock:

The jumping is great for things her feet can reach. Like hitting that one rock in the middle of a river and skipping over without touching the water feels terrific. And if things are blatantly too high, it's too high. It's when you come across inclines that her toes just barely can't peek over, eventhough she should easily be able reach her arms over and pull herself up, that it becomes really immersion breaking.

Not as bad but now I'm reminded of one of my gripes with the Souls games. The distinct lack of any kind of platforming ability beyond jumping(and even jumping is kinda iffy). I'm not expecting the dude to clamer around like an assasin or nathan drake, but there's a couple spots where there's a waist high obstacle the PC can't seem to figure out how to pull himself over because reasons.

And of course, DS2 where for half the game your progress is blocked by a not terribly intimidating pile of rubble in a doorway, forcing you to run around killing the 4 big bosses before you can head onto the castle. Apparently somebody figured out how to get over the rubble back in the day and in response the devs put an invisible wall there just to keep you from bypassing the shrine of winter. You know, as opposed to just making the rubble an unopenable door or piece of wall.

hanselthecaretaker:
On the whole Horizon: Zero Dawn was probably the most beautifully controlling game I?ve played in the last couple gens, let alone being an open world game.

It probably has one of the best 'runs' of any game I ever played. It feels very athletic and powerful, and gives the impression that you're this fast hunter. And yeah, for an open-world game it's surprising how little jank there is to the action gameplay.

Now on Claire's B run in Resi 2.

Still enjoying it - I think technically B's a harder scenario than A, but it feels a lot easier since I'm familiar with the layout now, and can better 'get' zombies.

Currently playing Trials Rising, the newest installment of the Trials series. It's good, really enjoying it so far. It has more of a Trials Evolution feel to it, which is certainly an improvement over Trials Fusion (which was - in technical parlance - pap). Only thing I don't like about it is the inclusion of a loot-box system, but at least they're only cosmetic items. Still, it would be nice to see companies turn away from them altogether. Other than that, it's great fun. The inclusion of a 'University of Trials' feature helps new players to the series get into it quickly as well, not only by explaining the basic controls but also the underlying physics concepts behind those controls.

Dalisclock:

Casual Shinji:

Dalisclock:

Not as bad but now I'm reminded of one of my gripes with the Souls games. The distinct lack of any kind of platforming ability beyond jumping(and even jumping is kinda iffy). I'm not expecting the dude to clamer around like an assasin or nathan drake, but there's a couple spots where there's a waist high obstacle the PC can't seem to figure out how to pull himself over because reasons.

And of course, DS2 where for half the game your progress is blocked by a not terribly intimidating pile of rubble in a doorway, forcing you to run around killing the 4 big bosses before you can head onto the castle. Apparently somebody figured out how to get over the rubble back in the day and in response the devs put an invisible wall there just to keep you from bypassing the shrine of winter. You know, as opposed to just making the rubble an unopenable door or piece of wall.

Definitively yes. If anything greatly improves next gen I hope it's environmental traversal. With everything being modeled on physical assets now that should be a much more feasible prospect. Characters should be able to get on their bellies and crawl over that rubble like a salamander if need be, and not clip through half of it. Which brings up my other main gripe of SoulsBorne which I hope has improved in Sekiro: clipping needs to effectively be smited from virtual existence.

hanselthecaretaker:

Definitively yes. If anything greatly improves next gen I hope it?s environmental traversal. With everything being modeled on physical assets now that should be a much more feasible prospect. Characters should be able to get on their bellies and crawl over that rubble like a salamander if need be, and not clip through half of it. Which brings up my other main gripe of SoulsBorne which I hope has improved in Sekiro: clipping needs to effectively be smited from virtual existence.

From the one gameplay video I've seen on the game(from the last month or so), it looks like there's grappling and some ability to climb in the game, so that's something to look forward to. I can only hope the controls are good.

I went back to Persona 3. I just passed through the awkward hitting on girls section and things are getting pretty weird(er). For some reason I'm having lots of trouble raising my Academics stat.

hanselthecaretaker:
On the whole Horizon: Zero Dawn was probably the most beautifully controlling game I?ve played in the last couple gens, let alone being an open world game. The climbing and platforming was mostly automatic but did it ever feel smooth. The jumping did occasionally get frustrating though because in some areas it?s easy to spam, like trying to get up a rocky hill or out up a riverbank when escaping a machine or something.

Huh. I played Horizon for a couple of hours and I was so put off by how it controlled that I stopped playing it altogether. I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey now, and it feels waaay more intuitive to control.

Bilious Green:

hanselthecaretaker:
On the whole Horizon: Zero Dawn was probably the most beautifully controlling game I?ve played in the last couple gens, let alone being an open world game. The climbing and platforming was mostly automatic but did it ever feel smooth. The jumping did occasionally get frustrating though because in some areas it?s easy to spam, like trying to get up a rocky hill or out up a riverbank when escaping a machine or something.

Huh. I played Horizon for a couple of hours and I was so put off by how it controlled that I stopped playing it altogether. I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey now, and it feels waaay more intuitive to control.

Did you get past the prologue? I can understand criticism for that since controlling Aloy as a kid felt really awkward and kinda stiff. But I think it was intentional to contrast how she moves as an adult after learning skills.

Played the Division 2 Beta.

Largely its just Ghost Recon Wildlands in a City, right down to some of the random objectives (defending a radio station)

With the grind/RPG class elements kind of tossed on of course.

Also it felt kind of clunky in control and movement. Along with what seemed almost like a slow-mo camera filter to try and be cinematic or whatever.

Maybe not the worst thing if you're into that aort of weighted feel (and the boudnaries of "realism" in your shooter as guns and abilities go), but definitely not my cup of tea\.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - I just did the S+ Rank for both characters A scenarios on standard. I'm gonns take a break on this as DMC5 comes out on Friday, and I will be playing that. Until then, I'll play some PS4 games I did not finish up.

I've been bouncing around between Mafia 3, Mad Max, Red Dead: Redemption 2, Dark Souls 3, The Witcher 3, Kingdom Come: Deliverance since last fall. Might switch it up and go back to the first PS4 game I ever played, Uncharted 4. There are still quite a few things I haven't seen or found yet and I'm craving something more action-oriented at least for a bit. Also to simply marvel at all the little details ND threw in.

I dipped my toes back into Breath of the Wild again, and it's weird how my motivation for that game has completely dried up. As soon as I exhausted the exploratory options the gameworld had to offer I just kinda stopped caring. And besides that the game doesn't really have too much to fall back on, whether it's narrative or action.

Just beat Southpark Fractured but Whole, about to do the dlc parts. Game was just as good as the first one, thoroughly hilarious. I hope they keep making these.

Also been going on and off in monster hunter world, can't get tired of that game.

Seth Carter:

Largely its just Ghost Recon Wildlands in a City, right down to some of the random objectives (defending a radio station)

Also it felt kind of clunky in control and movement. Along with what seemed almost like a slow-mo camera filter to try and be cinematic or whatever.

Maybe not the worst thing if you're into that aort of weighted feel (and the boudnaries of "realism" in your shooter as guns and abilities go), but definitely not my cup of tea\.

Is as bullet spongy as the first one is supposed to be? I never played it but that's one thing I remember hearing a lot of is that most enemies took a ton of hits to go down.

hanselthecaretaker:
I?ve been bouncing around between Mafia 3, Mad Max, Red Dead: Redemption 2, Dark Souls 3, The Witcher 3, Kingdom Come: Deliverance since last fall. Might switch it up and go back to the first PS4 game I ever played, Uncharted 4. There are still quite a few things I haven?t seen or found yet and I?m craving something more action-oriented at least for a bit. Also to simply marvel at all the little details ND threw in.

Uncharted 4 might be my favorite game in the series, or maybe just behind 2. I appreciated Nathan being made to feel more like an actual character then a quip-spouting hairpiece with an assault rifle and everything felt like it was tightened up and polished nicely.

Does Kingdom Come: Deliverance still have issues with being buggy and the save system being....not quite up to par? Is it still a bit Janky on the mecahnical side?

Dalisclock:

Seth Carter:

Is as bullet spongy as the first one is supposed to be? I never played it but that's one thing I remember hearing a lot of is that most enemies took a ton of hits to go down.

Eh, maybe? I didn't play the first one.

Certainly they don't die from a single headshot (although I could kill most of the regular mooks with a single shot from the double barrel at moderate range).

Some of them were a bit spongey but there was also an armour mechanic, and my classes armour corroding skill was unavailable in the beta.

The incendiary chem deployer didn't really seem to do much, for my "super" as it were, besides taking forever to launch and then bring out my weapon, which was needed to ignite the cloud (so the whole class was entirely dependent on team play, and there's no area ping (and the enemy ping on controller auto-fires the super thats on the same button).)

The beta being fairly slim in terms of content, didn't really run into anything that was high level to really tell how things went. Like stuff went down reasonably fast, but if I took the Tier 1 missions in Warframe, stuff goes down easy because the scaling hasn't had the chance to balloon out of control.

Just started on Far Cry: New Dawn. And, it has its ups and downs but it is OK. It could stand to ditch the "levels" system they have added to enemies, Far Cry 5 didn't need it. They need more of the improvised/makeshift weaponry. Its just more fun than standard shooter weapons. In New Dawn you make one in the tutorial area, use it there, then get out into the main area, use it once, pick up that guy's gun... and never use the makeshift weapon again because every dead guy has bullets for conventional guns. Bullets and health kits are everywhere, in a situation like this the game could really use some scarcity for challenge. Story so far... too bleak for Far Cry. Far Cry is supposed to be over the top with the violence and have some quirky/goofy stuff thrown in. Maybe I'll find some fun stuff later, but frankly I miss Clutch Nixon.

The good stuff, the visuals. Holy shit, an actual color palette. It may have a samey and standard brownshooter story, weapons, and mechanics... but the result of this apocalypse is like someone kicked a unicorn in the balls and it vomited a rainbow over the whole world. Its incredibly beautiful. After FC 5 which looked pretty good... this is amazing. Also, the microtransactions are as easy to ignore as they were in FC 5.

So overall, most of the mechanical changes they made... don't work and don't improve Far Cry. But they were subtle enough that New Dawn... is still Far Cry and enjoyable if you like that sort of thing. And after finishing Just Cause 4 with its predictable grasslands, mountains, desert areas... this is at least interesting visually. Even if the characters are stale so far.

Replaying the Arkham games. I've played and replayed Asylum a few times, but I have never replayed the other games since their release.

I never realised how much of an improvement City was over Asylum in terms of its combat or graphics, but now that I have replayed it, I certainly appreciate it a lot more - I think it might even be my favourite in the series.

Right now, im on Origins and its... fine. The combat feels a lot better, and it looks a lot nicer vs the previous two games in the series, but something about it just feels different, and I cannot quite put my finger on why. I know it was made my another team, and the characters have different voices, but I never remembered how much that was reflected within the game.

Excited to play Knight again, and finish my sudden Batman craze, and then im onto the Metro series.

Otherwise, I just bought a Switch. Not played many of its exclusives, but I have been using the system as an amazing portable indie-game machine. Gotta say, really loved Into the Breach.

Playing through MGS2, 3 and Peace Walker on Xbox One because I just got my friend hooked on the series so now I'm playing through it with him.

I just downloaded MGS4 last night right before the PS3's last *free* period ended. Kinda sad. Anyways it'll be nice playing it digitally some day without the need for a disc or waiting for installs.

OT I'm replaying Uncharted 4 on Crushing, and so far it's probably the easiest Crushing of the series (although I haven't played Lost Legacy on it yet). I know it'll get tougher later but it's actually been pretty enjoyable and frustration-free early on. I also think ND's take on equating damage to the player's luck running out is pretty clever. I don't think they ever mentioned it until they were done with the series but that philosophy actually makes it more enjoyable to play thinking of it that way.

Also I love how much better the guns sound than in past games. It helped the prison escape feel more harrowing and intense. I just got to the auction part where you have to create a diversion. Gotta say it's a nice change of pace playing something more action/adventure-ish. Most of my immediate backlog has been open world/RPG-ish and was starting to feel like too heavy a digital burden.

So, keeping in with a survival horror theme, I've started Alien: Isolation.

Not liking it so far.

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

I've tried 3D Zelda's before, but always ended not really liking them that much. I'm so far ok with this one. Except the camera. Kinda sucks. Yes, the back of Link's head is quite nice. No, I don't particularly want to stare at it up close in the middle of a fight.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 . . . 37 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here