What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 . . . 37 NEXT

Hawki:

Laggyteabag:

But, it stands to be the only Halo game that I haven't played,

So you've managed to play Halo: Fireteam Raven?

Lucky bastard. :(

I have, there is a cabinet at a bowling alley near me.

It was such a weird experience, seeing as Halo hasn't exactly been in a good spot recently, so it was just strange seeing it in an Arcade cabinet. Fireteam Raven also uses assets from Halo 3 onwards, so every level is this weird mish-mash of art from Halo 3 through to Halo 2 Anniversary.

It was pretty fun, though - but the bosses can be a bit tanky.

SckizoBoy:

Huh, didn't know about that... there's also the Lost Tales of Greece quest chains, two of which should be coming out soon...

Also, at this point, I don't really care much about the Isu... :/

I've played a couple of the lost tale quest chains. I'll finish some more of those up before I start the DLC. I have liked them so far.

I want to care about the ISU, or at least, the mystery surrounding them and their stuff. The problem is it feels like the devs want to keep the mystery going forever without ever revealing anything, which just leads to more and more questions as the series goes on. That or they just have no idea what to do with it anymore and just use it as a justification for the sci-fi/fantasy stuff(Clarkes Third Law). Kinda like the apples/Pieces of Eden started out as "They create illusions or influence minds" and have now become "Alien Swiss Army Knife" that does whatever the hell the writers want it to do at the given moment.

SckizoBoy:

I finished the Cultist questline concurrently with the Family Odyssey chapter

I finished the family storyline in the mid to low 40's, so I've not highly leveled enough yet to kill all of the cultists, despite having a couple of them with their locations known. I did kill a lot of them concurrent with the many campaign but there's still some mopping up to do.

It is wierd that storywise I killed a couple branch leaders before I killed their respective branches. It's also kinda annoying that doing quests will lead you to the cult, but it's unclear sometimes which quest will lead you there(one quest chain I thought would lead me to the cult lead me to a powerful dagger instead, one cultist is revealed by finding a dead body, another by opening a chest in an underwater temple, another I realized I had to join a conquest sea battle and not the big battle royale which the only other thing on that island). And of course, there are a lot of them. Hopefully meeting the Ghost at the end is worth it.

SckizoBoy:

I have super-mixed feelings about the First Blade DLC... suffice to say, it was a more than a touch disappointing. :( The best thing about both chapters 2 and 3 combined was a fucking loot-drop... -_- The overall arc of chapter 1 was the best executed but it still missed a lot of opportunities for something more cerebral about the Misthios' place in the world, as it were.

About the base game, I'm fine (for the most part), add the DLC and it gets complicated as well...

I'll be starting that off pretty soon. I just want to get the cultist thing wrapped up, considering the DLC introduces a new batch of assholes to kill.

Johnny Novgorod:

Kyrian007:
There's NO humor. At all.

Hurk's not in it?

I guess if you consider Hurk just being there (Sharky too) funny then maybe. Its really a token cameo though. Like if they kept it under a dozen lines they didn't have to pay the voice actors full price or something. Sharky and Hurk have one mission each, that is completely optional, that's in an area of the map you don't really have much reason to go out to other than being completionist. Only Hurk is a potential companion and I didn't notice more than maybe a half dozen different barks (I really only remember 2 that seemed to play on a loop.) It just isn't the same as having "go to" funny side stuff to do like most other FC titles. Or the occasional comedy filled missions (I'm thinking testicle festival, Clutch Nixon, or driving Kim Rye to the doctor to have her baby and such things.) Stuff that really acted to provide needed contrast to the story. It was sparse but still there just enough in FC 3 and 4. And of course Blood Dragon was pure golden cheese from start to finish. But New Dawn... two 2 minute missions and a half dozen quips from Hurk really aren't enough to offset the "dour" dripping from the rest of the game. An example of how badly they screwed it up, a woman that Hurk had a BABY with is another of the companions. But instead of being a comedy character, she just reacts like a thunderdome mook gun-nut. She makes maybe one passing reference to Hurk (whom she had a BABY with recently) and 99% of the time just lines or barks like "Arr, guns r gud" "eerr, killin is funny." They kinda missed the boat on what she could have been. The generic random followers in FC 5 had better lines. They had a grandmother sniper companion called Nana... they failed spectacularly in making her a decent funny companion, just peppering her dialogue with "deary," "whippersnapper," and other "old people" words and fairly unfunny references to her having Alzheimer's (not really a funny joke there.) I was a least waiting to find out who she had been in FC 5, or who she was related to... NOPE. They completely missed the opportunity, didn't bother writing her into Far Cry at all.

Its like New Dawn was rushed out the door to meet a deadline before they really finished it. Oh wait, that's exactly what happened. It seems like I've been really down on New Dawn... it was still fun to play. But that's really offset by the shoehorned in out-of-place rpg elements, an unneeded leveling system, missed opportunities for fun and different weapons rather than shooter standard guns, overly grimdark tones for Far Cry, unneeded sequelization... it had a lot of problems.

Dalisclock:
I've played a couple of the lost tale quest chains. I'll finish some more of those up before I start the DLC. I have liked them so far.

Eh... they're OK as a whole, though some are better than others, obviously.

I finished the family storyline in the mid to low 40's, so I've not highly leveled enough yet to kill all of the cultists, despite having a couple of them with their locations known. I did kill a lot of them concurrent with the many campaign but there's still some mopping up to do.

It is wierd that storywise I killed a couple branch leaders before I killed their respective branches. It's also kinda annoying that doing quests will lead you to the cult, but it's unclear sometimes which quest will lead you there(one quest chain I thought would lead me to the cult lead me to a powerful dagger instead, one cultist is revealed by finding a dead body, another by opening a chest in an underwater temple, another I realized I had to join a conquest sea battle and not the big battle royale which the only other thing on that island). And of course, there are a lot of them. Hopefully meeting the Ghost at the end is worth it.

I was level 52 or thereabouts when I finished everything, so I was OK (made a point of doing most stuff that could be done in each region and did the Atlantis quests concurrently at the same time).

That also annoyed me, in that a fair few of the Cultists are taken down during the main storyline (which, as you say, allows you to bypass the all clues to identify the branch leader thing, but I'm willing to forgive that for the sake of the plot), others can be searched for and others only spawn from particular side-quests. Completely unintentionally, I took out about half a dozen Cultists just by dungeon crawling, it was both a pleasant surprise when it happened and annoying when I got the confirm kill prompt after trashing a random boss, because I sort of wanted the game to get me to go out of my way to hunt them down, not trip over them.

The meeting with the Ghost was... weird for me. Worth it in many ways... not worth it in a couple others, but it does depend on your dialogue choices. I went with what was to me (even at the time), the derpiest way to resolve it.

I'll be starting that off pretty soon. I just want to get the cultist thing wrapped up, considering the DLC introduces a new batch of assholes to kill.

Unsurprisingly... three batches of assholes... one for each chapter.

Not sure how much I should warn you about it, but you'll get to it soon enough, I guess and can form your own opinion, but damn, do I have words to say about the elephant in the room.

One thing I will say right off the bat, is that don't bother with the Immortals Armour set and it's legendary engraving except just for the sake of completion. They're bugged and the resurrection doesn't work... like, at all. Ubisoft know but there is, as yet, no fix.

And...I've finished Alien: Isolation.

Remember with RE2, when I said that the game was constantly straddling the border between engagement and frustration, but by the end, it was on the side of engagement? Isolation does the same, except it ends up on the side of frustration. Like, every so often, the game manages to engage me so well that I forget why I was irritated with it to begin with, but then I'm straight out reminded.

Quick question - what's the most deadly enemy in the game? Is it the:

a) Xenomorphs
b) Humans
c) Androids

And the answer is...none of the above.

It's facehuggers. Because Amanda Ripley is strong enough to wrestle with an android, but not strong enough to fight off a facehugger.

Fuck facehuggers. :(

SckizoBoy:

That also annoyed me, in that a fair few of the Cultists are taken down during the main storyline (which, as you say, allows you to bypass the all clues to identify the branch leader thing, but I'm willing to forgive that for the sake of the plot), others can be searched for and others only spawn from particular side-quests. Completely unintentionally, I took out about half a dozen Cultists just by dungeon crawling, it was both a pleasant surprise when it happened and annoying when I got the confirm kill prompt after trashing a random boss, because I sort of wanted the game to get me to go out of my way to hunt them down, not trip over them.

The meeting with the Ghost was... weird for me. Worth it in many ways... not worth it in a couple others, but it does depend on your dialogue choices. I went with what was to me (even at the time), the derpiest way to resolve it.

One thing I will say right off the bat, is that don't bother with the Immortals Armour set and it's legendary engraving except just for the sake of completion. They're bugged and the resurrection doesn't work... like, at all. Ubisoft know but there is, as yet, no fix.

I remember starting a quest to follow someone, getting attacked by what I assumed was some Mercenary on the road there, killing her and then getting the "Confirm Cultist Kill" prompt. I found out that she was one of my targets for the mandatory story quest once I started that soon after, so I only had 3 more to kill since that one was already done.

Another one I came across on another road being attacked by the local soldiers, who were winning. I helped a little but the soldiers took care of him for me. I knew he was a cultist that time but wasn't planning to take him out just that moment and just happened pass him on the way to somewhere else. I know there's a whole crowd/NPC AI that works in the background to make the world feel lived in, but damn, the AI must have been bored or something that day considering it pretty much had the soldiers take out one of the cultists for me.

Finished the cultist quest. Talked to the Ghost. So is it just me, or did the whole thing strongly imply that by taking out the cult, you pretty much just paved the way for the Templars to take over? Because that's how I read it.

By the Immortal Armor I take it you don't mean the Armor of the Immortal which you get by taking out one of the cult branches?

Dalisclock:
I remember starting a quest to follow someone, getting attacked by what I assumed was some Mercenary on the road there, killing her and then getting the "Confirm Cultist Kill" prompt. I found out that she was one of my targets for the mandatory story quest once I started that soon after, so I only had 3 more to kill since that one was already done.

Another one I came across on another road being attacked by the local soldiers, who were winning. I helped a little but the soldiers took care of him for me. I knew he was a cultist that time but wasn't planning to take him out just that moment and just happened pass him on the way to somewhere else. I know there's a whole crowd/NPC AI that works in the background to make the world feel lived in, but damn, the AI must have been bored or something that day considering it pretty much had the soldiers take out one of the cultists for me.

Finished the cultist quest. Talked to the Ghost. So is it just me, or did the whole thing strongly imply that by taking out the cult, you pretty much just paved the way for the Templars to take over? Because that's how I read it.

I didn't actually interpret it in that way, though I can see how that could happen (my mind was somewhat blank at the time... as it usually is...!). I'm sure they could handwave it in one way or another.

And wow, the AI never took care of a cultist for me...! It crocked me over in other ways (like it's so easy to aggro ships of both sides if you wade into a fight between the two factions & never bring to a spear to a random fight outside of conquest battles...!), but eh... not really game-breakers.

By the Immortal Armor I take it you don't mean the Armor of the Immortal which you get by taking out one of the cult branches?

No, I do mean that set (loot drops from the Heroes of the Bloodline branch of Cultists). Neither the armour perk itself, nor the engraving it unlocks work...

SckizoBoy:

Dalisclock:

I didn't actually interpret it in that way, though I can see how that could happen (my mind was somewhat blank at the time... as it usually is...!). I'm sure they could handwave it in one way or another.

And wow, the AI never took care of a cultist for me...! It crocked me over in other ways (like it's so easy to aggro ships of both sides if you wade into a fight between the two factions & never bring to a spear to a random fight outside of conquest battles...!), but eh... not really game-breakers.

No, I do mean that set (loot drops from the Heroes of the Bloodline branch of Cultists). Neither the armour perk itself, nor the engraving it unlocks work...

I didn't have a problem with the immortal set though now I'm curious.

I finished the Atlantis storyline tonight. Medusa was a tough nut to crack and killed me more then the other 3 combined but I got her. That ending was interesting, though I fear not much will come of it. I've been down that road too many times with this series to believe anything is going to change significantly. I have plenty of theories what they might be getting at but I'm not holding my breath for any follow through at this point.

I'll start the DLC in the next week or so and I'll do a big rambling write up once I finish the First Blade storyline.

I just checked my Steam time for the game. 94 hours! That's without doing a bunch of the sidequests or most of the "Lost tales of greece" quests or even starting the DLC. When I finished AC Origins including it's 2 DLC and killed some of the God-Bosses and meandered around on the discovery tour I had 74 hours. The only games I have in my steam library even close to that are Kerbal Space Program and Sunless Sea.
Damn this game is long.

Dalisclock:
I didn't have a problem with the immortal set though now I'm curious.

Huh, it's done zip for me, and it's an oft reported problem it seems.

I finished the Atlantis storyline tonight. Medusa was a tough nut to crack and killed me more then the other 3 combined but I got her. That ending was interesting, though I fear not much will come of it. I've been down that road too many times with this series to believe anything is going to change significantly. I have plenty of theories what they might be getting at but I'm not holding my breath for any follow through at this point.

I'll be honest, I reduced the difficulty specifically for the Medusa/Writhing Dread fight because I knew it was going to be a bitch. It was still a bitch. Did it without dying (much), but I had to stop playing pretty much as soon as the fight was over.

What annoyed me was that there was an almost complete disconnect between the modern/ancient gameplay periods, 'cos after the first 'out of the animus' section (with the whole Rabbids 'bwuh!' moment), the modern sections were only ever linked to the Atlantis questline.

I'll start the DLC in the next week or so and I'll do a big rambling write up once I finish the First Blade storyline.

I imagine there's a lot to discuss that I'll probably weigh in on... perhaps with disproportionate feeling, but eh...

I just checked my Steam time for the game. 94 hours! That's without doing a bunch of the sidequests or most of the "Lost tales of greece" quests or even starting the DLC. When I finished AC Origins including it's 2 DLC and killed some of the God-Bosses and meandered around on the discovery tour I had 74 hours. The only games I have in my steam library even close to that are Kerbal Space Program and Sunless Sea.
Damn this game is long.

Yeah, tell me about it... I clocked in 120 hours (with not much AFK time) upon finishing the Odyssey story plus epilogue (the chat with Sokrates & bros)... granted, that's with probably more sidequests than you've completed thus far, but yeah, damn is it long. Thing is, I didn't mind (there was plenty to do even if the main storyline seemed a bit slow).

In fairness, I've clocked hundreds of hours on multiple games on steam, but they're all strategy games of the Total War series, and they are generally bigger time sinks.

Still with Persona Q. Just finished the second labyrinth (and Teddie scored himself a hot stud)

SckizoBoy:

Huh, it's done zip for me, and it's an oft reported problem it seems.

I did notice while wearing it that occasionally my health bar would refill. I didn't realize the armor was responsible. I don't think I was paying that much attention to the special benefit by that point. I was also swapping armor sets every so often so there's that(Pirate for sneaky-sneaky fortress missions, Immmortal or Demigod for combat stuff).

SckizoBoy:

What annoyed me was that there was an almost complete disconnect between the modern/ancient gameplay periods, 'cos after the first 'out of the animus' section (with the whole Rabbids 'bwuh!' moment), the modern sections were only ever linked to the Atlantis questline.

I kinda agree on that. Honestly, I'm more wierded out that the Assassins didn't have more people setting up a small base camp down there. I get it, she was the first one in but that's like the archaeological find of the millieum. I'd expect the assassins to have someone down there taking photos of everything for both future analysis, trying to dig through the computers and keeping an eye on layla.

There's more but I'm saving it for my write up because it's gonna get long and ranty. Suffice it to say the Lore feels like it's held together by duct tape at this point.

I imagine there's a lot to discuss that I'll probably weigh in on... perhaps with disproportionate feeling, but eh...

I'm withholding comments until I get to that part. I have things I could say now but I'd rather see the context and execution before potentially inviting a firestorm.

Playing Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

I like it. It's got tons of visual charm and catchy music that sounds unabashedly 'videogamey'.. Nice difficulty curve that starts of easy, but ramps up the challenge towards the end (aside from some 'gotcha' moments that felt kind of cheap). I love me some metroidvania and this has a big spoonful of it, so that's a plus. Also, surprisingly long for a game of its type, but not to the point of wearing out its welcome.

CS:GO and GTA V are my favorite

Dalisclock:
I did notice while wearing it that occasionally my health bar would refill. I didn't realize the armor was responsible. I don't think I was paying that much attention to the special benefit by that point. I was also swapping armor sets every so often so there's that(Pirate for sneaky-sneaky fortress missions, Immmortal or Demigod for combat stuff).

LOL, doing the same... Pirate set for full assassin'ing (with the Falx of Olympus for max damage) and Demigod set for general combat. I knew my health bar would refill anyway because of certain buffs I'd taken (recycled damage, health on adrenaline use etc.), but I don't think the Immortal set in and of itself refilled health, only that at a point close to death, it should automatically refill to 20% (so I'd read), but didn't.

Never mind, I enjoy it well enough that the Immortal set isn't necessary. *shrug*

I kinda agree on that. Honestly, I'm more wierded out that the Assassins didn't have more people setting up a small base camp down there. I get it, she was the first one in but that's like the archaeological find of the millieum. I'd expect the assassins to have someone down there taking photos of everything for both future analysis, trying to dig through the computers and keeping an eye on layla.

There's more but I'm saving it for my write up because it's gonna get long and ranty. Suffice it to say the Lore feels like it's held together by duct tape at this point.

Eh, the assassins' hierarchy always did come across as comically patchwork, and this hardly changed my opinion of them... :/

I'm withholding comments until I get to that part. I have things I could say now but I'd rather see the context and execution before potentially inviting a firestorm.

No worries, I'm not that outraged by it... at the time, I just thought 'this so doesn't make sense' and then 'no sound, pls', with mild seething at worst. I'll await your thread discussing it. :)

Right now, I'm playing Umbrella Corps.

I hear you ask, "wait, are you doing that because you got it for free from Humble Bundle and want to add it to the "rank the RE games thread, or are you doing it because you hate yourself?"

Good question.

The answer is yes.

Been playing Sekiro, but I don't know if I'm gonna stick with it.

Can't say I'm enjoying much of it. The melee combat isn't very satisfying on its own and the stealth mechanics, including kills, don't feel very intruiging either. Zipping from point to point with your hookshot is kinda neat, especially certain ones where you need to jump first for the hook icon to actually become active, but that's all I've really enjoyed so far (apart from the intro cinematic).

I got stuck on one of the first big dudes and my frustration levels just skyrocketed. It wasn't so much that he was really tough, I just didn't enjoy fighting him. I've played other games where I died over and over, but I was always ready for more because I liked the act of fighting. In Sekiro everytime I died to a mini-Boss, instead of thinking 'Okay, I'm gonna getcha this time buddy' I was thinking 'God, I just wanna get past this fucking guy'.

Casual Shinji:

Can't say I'm enjoying much of it. The melee combat isn't very satisfying on its own and the stealth mechanics, including kills, don't feel very intruiging either. Zipping from point to point with your hookshot is kinda neat, especially certain ones where you need to jump first for the hook icon to actually become active, but that's all I've really enjoyed so far (apart from the intro cinematic).

I got stuck on one of the first big dudes and my frustration levels just skyrocketed. It wasn't so much that he was really tough, I just didn't enjoy fighting him. I've played other games where I died over and over, but I was always ready for more because I liked the act of fighting. In Sekiro everytime I died to a mini-Boss, instead of thinking 'Okay, I'm gonna getcha this time buddy' I was thinking 'God, I just wanna get past this fucking guy'.

This seems to be happening a lot with Souls fans when they are playing Sekiro. I dunno if the combat is actually bad in the game or if people just wanted another Soul-like game so much that the gameplay overhall is disappointing them because it isn't what they wanted/expected from the FromSoft guys.

I have been enjoying Sekiro so far, but I had to get it out of my hand that I was playing a Souls-like because it really isn't. once you come to terms with A. it being completely different from a Souls game and B. Get good at the combat, the game is actually really satisfying to play.

Becoming good at the combat makes you feel awesome.

CritialGaming:
This seems to be happening a lot with Souls fans when they are playing Sekiro. I dunno if the combat is actually bad in the game or if people just wanted another Soul-like game so much that the gameplay overhall is disappointing them because it isn't what they wanted/expected from the FromSoft guys.

I have been enjoying Sekiro so far, but I had to get it out of my hand that I was playing a Souls-like because it really isn't. once you come to terms with A. it being completely different from a Souls game and B. Get good at the combat, the game is actually really satisfying to play.

The ice has broken a bit since that last post, but there's still some bullshit here (some par the course with Fromsoft) that's infuriating.

Things have gotten a bit better since I changed two button inputs; I put block on square and hookshot on triangle. This made getting past the horseback Boss so much more enjoyable. You need to be fucking clutch with that block on Bosses, and having it on L1 feels really cumbersome with how fast you need to be. Now I can just use my left hand to calmly steady my controller while my right index finger and thumb handle all the hectic action.

The camera and lock-on fucked me over a lot though, as usual with Fromsoftware. I had a bunch of times where an enemy knocked me into a wall and the camera got so close my character became transparant, I tried to move myself out of the way of continuing attacks only to find myself stuck and getting killed, not realizing I was in a downed state that I had to roll out of because I couldn't see my character.

The lock-on with the horseback Boss turned off when I got too close to him - and this is a Boss that rushes you down constantly - making me totally vulnerable to further attacks since the block and parry are so depended on you being locked on. This screwed me over on numerous attempts.

Also, the difficulty spike going from regular enemies to Boss is staggering. Normal enemies I cut through like they're nothing, but then a Boss comes along and I get utterly crushed.

CritialGaming:

Casual Shinji:

The beginning wasn't too difficult for me, until I got to the general with the big sword. I must've tried at least two dozen times with varying degrees of success; sometimes getting one death blow in and some barely getting anywhere. Also used up whatever helpful items I found like the ash for interrupting enemy attacks and sugar for bolstering my defenses. I hadn't tried to resurrect yet but still got the dragon rot essence penalty.

Then I started playing around with the level some more and found a way to stealth him, getting the first death blow rather effortlessly. He fell soon after.

The game shares several signature design aspects of SoulsBorne but that's about where the similarities end. It rewards aggressive play more than ever before, and it's crucial to learn each type of opponent's fighting style to get the best of them. The game made it clear that old tactics of baiting or playing hide and seek to cheese a tough enemy to death won't suffice here. It's definitely more structured, and I'm hoping the prosthetic enhancements and other skills keep things interesting. That's one of the reasons SoulsBorne never really got old, because you could experiment so much and had the freedom to cheese if you wanted to. But having said that, it meant that it never really felt as engaging as it could have been.

It's too early to tell if Sekiro will strike that balance of freedom and tight design, but so far I'm intrigued.

Yeah, I'm playing Sekiro right now and wondering if I hate the combat.

There's something to the pace of the combat that I don't enjoy. The sword-fighting feels really hectic, but I never feel like I'm in full control of it. The complete loss of all i-frames on the dash also doesn't feel good to me. It means you have to dodge way early in order to escape attacks, and with how short the dodge distance actually is means I keep getting caught out because I keep wanting to use the bloodborne/dark souls dodge timing.

I've found that I'm bitching out of the combat and just using stealth constantly, which isn't allowing me to actually learn the combat properly, so I keep dying to mini-bosses.

Also, grab attack hitboxes in this game are bullshit. I've been grabbed through stairs.

I'm just really not having a good time. I was hoping for this to be sort of like Nioh without the terrible inventory management, and with more movement abilities and it's really not. The combat just isn't clicking for me at all.

Did you know that holding the block button makes your stamina come back FASTER in this game? I sure as hell didn't because that doesn't make any sense to my brain.

Dirty Hipsters:

There's something to the pace of the combat that I don't enjoy. The sword-fighting feels really hectic, but I never feel like I'm in full control of it. The complete loss of all i-frames on the dash also doesn't feel good to me. It means you have to dodge way early in order to escape attacks, and with how short the dodge distance actually is means I keep getting caught out because I keep wanting to use the bloodborne/dark souls dodge timing.

I've found that I'm bitching out of the combat and just using stealth constantly, which isn't allowing me to actually learn the combat properly, so I keep dying to mini-bosses.

Also, grab attack hitboxes in this game are bullshit. I've been grabbed through stairs.

I'm just really not having a good time. I was hoping for this to be sort of like Nioh without the terrible inventory management, and with more movement abilities and it's really not. The combat just isn't clicking for me at all.

Did you know that holding the block button makes your stamina come back FASTER in this game? I sure as hell didn't because that doesn't make any sense to my brain.

Game doesn't have stamina, the gauge is a "stance" meter so in that reasoning when you block you're solidifying your stance.

Try parrying more, a lot more. Dodging is something you only ever wanna do vs grapples.

Dreiko:

Dirty Hipsters:

Game doesn't have stamina, the gauge is a "stance" meter so in that reasoning when you block you're solidifying your stance.

Try parrying more, a lot more. Dodging is something you only ever wanna do vs grapples.

That's the thing, I've found the dodge to be kind of all around useless. It doesn't even really work against grapples since enemies can grab you out of your dodge even when you're mid dodge. The dodge is just a movement ability, and so far I've found that jumping is ALWAYS a better option than dodging. The jump gets you further away from the enemy than the dodge, is used to also dodge sweeping attacks, and you can jump in any direction, just like the dodge. If you need to get away from an enemy attack the dodge just feels very feeble. No i-frames, doesn't go very far, and isn't actually a counter to grabs, which is what I expected it to be. The game tells you to use the dodge AGAINST grabs, which lead me to think that a perfect dodge would give you a parry window or something against a whiffed grab, and it doesn't. When the jump is overall better in every way the dodge seems pointless.

Dirty Hipsters:

Dreiko:

Dirty Hipsters:

That's the thing, I've found the dodge to be kind of all around useless. It doesn't even really work against grapples since enemies can grab you out of your dodge even when you're mid dodge. The dodge is just a movement ability, and so far I've found that jumping is ALWAYS a better option than dodging. The jump gets you further away from the enemy than the dodge, is used to also dodge sweeping attacks, and you can jump in any direction, just like the dodge. If you need to get away from an enemy attack the dodge just feels very feeble. No i-frames, doesn't go very far, and isn't actually a counter to grabs, which is what I expected it to be. The game tells you to use the dodge AGAINST grabs, which lead me to think that a perfect dodge would give you a parry window or something against a whiffed grab, and it doesn't. When the jump is overall better in every way the dodge seems pointless.

I'm finding the dodge to be primarily useful against projectiles - if you're fighting somebody and getting shot at the dodge can help you keep in the fight without having to deflect and lose a bit of poise. Otherwise, I think you're totally right. I've even got a skill now that lets me hookshot enemies for additional damage if I avoid any sort of attack by jumping, making jumping away from grabs all the more attractive.

There's definitely a bit of DS2 grabjank going on. The grabs seem to be 100% or 0%, meaning that if the ogre even lightly brushes the hairs on your balls when he swings, he gets you for the whole ride. This is similar to the DS2 pursuer just tapping your toe with his thrust grab and you teleporting into position on his blade. The disconcerting visuals have been adjusted so it doesn't look like such unbelievable bullshit, but I'm certain that is about what is happening.

Dirty Hipsters:

Dreiko:

Dirty Hipsters:

Not sure why you're having so much trouble with dodge. Maybe too used to iframes? That was one of my biggest problems with SoulsBorne; like a magical window that varied depending on the enemy and didn't physically make much sense. In Sekiro I've used dodge roughly half as much as parrying in general and the only time its gotten me in trouble is if the attack had too much range or I was stuck in close quarters. Tracking is pretty typical of FROM's design (and clipping issues although they seem lessened here for me so far) but I can still escape grabs if dodges are timed right; not much different than learning parrying timing.

Jumping is what seems far more risky to me. About the only time I jump is when I know they're doing a sweep attack. The halberd dudes always get me if I try to jump even a horizontal swing, yet I was able to dodge circles around them along with using the Mikiri counter for their critical thrust attacks.

The differences have taken some getting used to for sure and I've already died more at early game stage than any SoulsBorne but it's definitely feeling more rewarding when you do well. The combat is a wonderful onslaught of aggressive offense and reactionary defense to set up even better offense. The stronger enemy fights kinda feel like an inverse tug of war.

A little bit late to the party, but I am currently playing Red Dead Redemption 2.

I was so close to dropping this game when I first started, because chapter 1/the prologue is so slow. I didn't care about the characters, I didn't care about the story, and I just could not grasp the game's bizarre control scheme.

Then suddenly, pretty much as soon as Chapter 2 started, everything just clicked, and now I am really enjoying this game.

Its damn big though, so im probably going to be on this one for a while. That is fine, however, seeing as I have spent the last few weeks playing nothing but short bad/mediocre games, so I think that I am ready for something a little more expansive.

Played Splinter Cell: Conviction

Got it for free one time, so I thought why the hell not. Feels like it can't decide between being a stealth game or an action game so it ends up being meh at both. You can sort of play it like a pure Splinter Cell if you want, but most of the time I didn't, because shooting my way through was often simply more efficient. Don't like the Execution mechanic either, since I'm on PC. I have mouse aim. Headshotting dudes quickly and accurately is not a problem, and in the time it takes to mark and execute, I could just shoot those dudes myself. It's the big new feature of the game and I pretty much ignored it, because my chosen platform basically renders it superfluous. Also, why are the roll and going into cover mapped to the same button? Shit's annoying.

Finally "Finished" AC Odyssey, including the First Blade DLC. I say that tentatively because there's still a bunch of quests and such in the game I haven't done(There's the farting pig left to kill and I'm 3 mercenaries left before I'm the best one but I'm not sure I care at this point) and there's another DLC incoming in a month or so but the main story bits are complete. Everything else is just completing stuff that looks interesting before I stop.

Have mixed feelings about the First Blade DLC, which I'm not going to go into here. I'll talk about in in the write up which will go up sometime in the next week or so.

So I clocked around 30 hours in Final Fantasy 15. I need to ask this question:
Does the majority of the game is just the subquests?

SweetShark:

From what I heard, yes.

I'm still playing dmc5. I've already beating Dante must Die mode a couple weeks ago. At this point I just been trying to get S ranks. I think I'll be taking a break now before bloody palace gets released. I still think it should have came with the game like it did with DMC 3 special edition and DMC 4. It may be free, but this is something that should have been with the complete package. I'll try and start Seikiro tonight.

Dalisclock:
Finally "Finished" AC Odyssey, including the First Blade DLC. I say that tentatively because there's still a bunch of quests and such in the game I haven't done(There's the farting pig left to kill and I'm 3 mercenaries left before I'm the best one but I'm not sure I care at this point) and there's another DLC incoming in a month or so but the main story bits are complete. Everything else is just completing stuff that looks interesting before I stop.

Have mixed feelings about the First Blade DLC, which I'm not going to go into here. I'll talk about in in the write up which will go up sometime in the next week or so.

We'll exchange diatribes on your thread when you post your thoughts.

Also, just out of interest, what level is your misthios? o.O And did you do that god awful Lysander/Demosthenes grind-fest-quest?

SckizoBoy:

Dalisclock:

We'll exchange diatribes on your thread when you post your thoughts.

Also, just out of interest, what level is your misthios? o.O And did you do that god awful Lysander/Demosthenes grind-fest-quest?

About Level 55 and if you mean that quest chain where you have to go kill a couple Athenian/Spartan Polemarchs, I'm not done with it. I've actually finish parts of them while doing other quests and some polemarchs just happened to get in my way.

SweetShark:

Some chapters do, others don't. It's the opposite of FF13.

Dalisclock:
About Level 55 and if you mean that quest chain where you have to go kill a couple Athenian/Spartan Polemarchs, I'm not done with it. I've actually finish parts of them while doing other quests and some polemarchs just happened to get in my way.

The reward for that quest chain is kinda meh when you finally get it (I ended up using it solely for appearance customisation).

As for level, once you get to Tier 1, there's a bit of a surprise. >_>

I got Platinum for Horizon Zero Dawn and then almost immediately picked up Okami HD. I should be tired of games about self-styled goddesses roaming the wilderness and restoring nature to its former glory by cleansing literal pollution, but I clocked like 60 hours on HZD and I'm 20 into Okami and I'm loving it all over again.

I don't know if they changed something for the PS4 release but the game feels insanely easier than I remembered from the PS2 days. The only real challenge so far has been the first Demon Gate Trial, which was more of a tour de force than anything else (that thing takes FOREVER).

Dalisclock:

Also quick aside... have you done the Hippokrates quest chain?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 . . . 37 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here