What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 NEXT

Back to the Zone for me, Shadow of Chernobyl on a Loner run, where I've become multiple factions concierge. Bad enough I had to fetch fucking BREAD for Clear Sky, now Freedom is having me scour the map for fucking ASKU's. Rrrg.

I've been mostly playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for the second time. My memory from playing it in and fresh out of high school has proved somewhat accurate while also being inaccurate on other moments. I remembered the length of it, I'm easily going to hit sixty hours this play through, but I did heavily change a mostly unmemorable quest-line into one I had fond memories of. I thought the regional quest-line was you starting up a mining operation and slowly watching it build up as you did quests and not just help a dying one. Playing it older has made me also notice some unintentional hilarious moments in the game, mostly in how the game thinks it's making me care about any of the characters. It will make a big deal when something bad happens to completely unmemorable characters in quest-lines, when I can't even remember their names or maybe even a single personality trait.

I've also started up playing Call of Duty again, I feel like doing a full series run of it again. I've knocked out the first two Modern Warfares. Two stood up and is probably the reason it's my favorite game in the whole series, but one is almost hysterical for me to play now due to how poorly it's aged. I remember reading in the preview of Game Informer when they talked about the cargo ship level and talked about how amazing the particle, smoke, and lighting effects when the dude is smoking the cigar. It looks god awful now. Fun how much can change in twelve or so years.

Playing Hollow Knight.

Was planning on buying it from GOG during their summer sale, but then Nintendo had it 50% off during E3. Cashing in my Golden Coins would further bring that down to a little under 4 euros. So I found myself out of excuses and bought it on Switch instead. Been enjoying it quite a bit, though it took my a while to get used to some of it's mechanics, like that slight knockback when you attack an enemy or using down-slashes to bounce off spikes. But now that I've gotten better at the game and unlocked a bunch of abilities, I'm having more or more fun. Flying enemies are still a pain to deal with, tho. Especially those teleporting shits with their homing energy balls in the Soul Sanctum. Always 'porting directly below or above me every time I try to bypass them. They can just fuck off.

Been playing Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.

It's a fun but frustratingly poorly laid out game. The enemies are almost comically bad, ranging from little plant traps that I don't even know if they can actually hurt you, to severed Yorkshire Terrier heads that deal way too much damage than they have any right to deal. The controls are sluggish which is maddening for how quickly you'll need to respond to things in the game. Especially fights against enemies that require you to dodge under or over the enemy then turn around to hit them. The number of times in which my character has been FACING one direction but continues to attack in the other direction has caused me no shortage of deaths and rage. This makes the controls feel floaty and unresponsive which makes the game way harder than it actually is. I don't mind a challenge, so long as the challenge comes from actually mechanics and not bad controls.

Which is a shame because the rest of the game is great. But the foundation has almost too many problems to ignore. Chances are, I will drop this one long before seeing the end credits.

Just started Tales of Berseria. It had been sitting in my backlog for a long while but after seeing tales of arise footage and really wanting to play it day 1 I decided I better catch up with the series.

The game hits all my dark anime fantasy sweet spots. With a title close to my fav manga (berserk) I kinda saw it coming and as a fan of the darker tales of games (abyss is my fav, for now) I'm very excited to delve into this world. I'm still only 4 hours in but there is already a revenge plot and a party of whimsical weirdos with dark sides and two tearjerking deaths. Talk about a dense start.

Also I'm extremely surprised nobody from the usual suspects is touting Velvet as a strong female protagonist and asking more like her. Girl dislocates her shoulder and bangs it against a rock to set it back like it's nothing and barely grunts at the pain. Super badass. Maybe it's that she's also pretty in a cool sister way that's "problematic"? Who knows haha.

God of War 2018.

I like it! Just wish there was 'more' of it. Not so much in terms of content or gameplay, rather 'more' exploitation of the material that's dangling like carrots at the end of sticks. A lot of characters and places are mentioned, or glimpsed, or hinted at; wish more realms were available (why even bother putting them as 'locked' in the fast travel menu?), more gods showed up, more boss fights. So it leaves me wanting more, which I guess is good enough, but still. Anyway I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Keeps a good pace, combat's fun and I like the Souls-y navigation.

Johnny Novgorod:
God of War 2018.

I like it! Just wish there was 'more' of it. Not so much in terms of content or gameplay, rather 'more' exploitation of the material that's dangling like carrots at the end of sticks. A lot of characters and places are mentioned, or glimpsed, or hinted at; wish more realms were available (why even bother putting them as 'locked' in the fast travel menu?), more gods showed up, more boss fights. So it leaves me wanting more, which I guess is good enough, but still. Anyway I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Keeps a good pace, combat's fun and I like the Souls-y navigation.

When you compare it to God of War 1 as the first game in a trilogy it would figure that they don't want to show too much of the Norse mythology setting yet. And the realms in the zapping room might seem like a tease, but it would make less sense to have this eloborate travel room and not have the other eight realms represented. Maybe they could've choosen to not have the travel room there at all and warp to the available realms in a different way, but as is I'd say it makes more sense than to not have them there at all.

As for the gods and Boss fights, I'm honestly questioning how they're going to fit everything in the following two (presumably) sequels what with everything they set up by the end of this game. It's fucking crazy when you tally it all up, and I feel sorry for all those programmers working at Santa Monica.

Johnny Novgorod:
A lot of characters and places are mentioned, or glimpsed, or hinted at; wish more realms were available (why even bother putting them as 'locked' in the fast travel menu?)[...]

Well, I think that's for in-universe reasons. It's a central concept of Norse mythology that there are nine realms, connected by the World Ash Tree.

...Well, that, and they want to tease us for an inevitable sequel.

What irritated me more than the realms appearing on the fast-travel table was that they even showed us a glimpse of Vanaheim through the Woods Witch's window. They've visually designed it already! That's a cock-tease.

Johnny Novgorod:
[...] more boss fights.

Fully agreed there. The troll fight was recycled far too often, and didn't really count as a boss fight, leaving us with only 4 unique boss fights (excluding the Valkyries).

Chimpzy:
Been enjoying it quite a bit, though it took my a while to get used to some of it's mechanics, like that slight knockback when you attack an enemy [...]

No spoilers, but there is an in-game way to eliminate this issue.

Chimpzy:
Flying enemies are still a pain to deal with, tho. Especially those teleporting shits with their homing energy balls in the Soul Sanctum. Always 'porting directly below or above me every time I try to bypass them. They can just fuck off.

Have you encountered Primal Aspids yet? The little orange fuckers that shoot three projectiles at once which, despite not homing, are inexplicably really difficult to reliably dodge.

I thought it was just me, until I googled them after I'd completed the game, and found that despite being normal regular (albeit quite late-game) enemies, they regularly top reader polls of "most difficult boss" to properly express the player frustration.

They're pure evil.

Casual Shinji:
When you compare it to God of War 1 as the first game in a trilogy it would figure that they don't want to show too much of the Norse mythology setting yet. And the realms in the zapping room might seem like a tease, but it would make less sense to have this eloborate travel room and not have the other eight realms represented. Maybe they could've choosen to not have the travel room there at all and warp to the available realms in a different way, but as is I'd say it makes more sense than to not have them there at all.

Silvanus:
Well, I think that's for in-universe reasons. It's a central concept of Norse mythology that there are nine realms, connected by the World Ash Tree.

...Well, that, and they want to tease us for an inevitable sequel.

I agree it makes sense, from a world-building perspective. In stories in general I like to get the impression the world far outreaches the immediate needs of the plot (I always liked how the map of Middle-earth, and by extension its lore, was ten times bigger than the plot of The Hobbit or LotR ever needed it to be) and that a story doesn't necessarily have to take the tour bus route. I just think the game could've dressed up the fact that you can't access half the worlds presented in the travel room. As it is as soon as you step in the game hangs a big ugly sign over the portals that literally reads YOU'RE NEVER GOING TO UNLOCK THIS. Not only is it off-putting, it sizes the game for you pretty early on and spoils the mystery of where your travels will take you.

As for the lack of gods/fights... I'm weirded out by the fact Tyr's already dead in this game. It goes against Ragnarok lore, and wastes the perfect opportunity of a kickass boss fight between two Gods of War going into the future. Another missed opportunity seems to be making Jormungadr into a background prop. Or not having any fire giants in fire giant land (again, I know about Ragnarok, but still). If Tyr's already dead and Hodr plays no part in the Baldr arc then clearly you're ok with bending the mythology.

Finally started playing Hollow Knight again after like 9 months of playing other games. I'd gotten to the point I'd beaten the broken vessel and now unlocked the 3 dreamers(well, I still have to go kill them but I know aproximately where to find them), but put the game down because there were other games I wanted to get to. Now I'm back on the train and remembering why I enjoyed the game so much. Probably the biggest issue getting back into the game was worried I wouldn't remember what the hell I was doing or how to play the game anymore. Which lead to me fucking around in the Queens Garden for a few hours only to realize there's one area(presumably the boss room) I can't reach because there's one of those inky black barriers in the way and I'm not really sure how to get past that.

I am curious just how many of the dream bosses/warriors I need to beat up to awaken the dream nail, which apparently I need to do to get the best ending. The dream warriors are generally difficult and I've heard the dream bosses are really hard.

Update: I finished(more or less) the deepnest. I'm not arachnophobic but that place gave me the creeps. I can only imagine how hard that area would be for someone who is afraid of spiders. At least the game is nice enough to put a stag station near the distant village so I didn't have to walk all the way back out.

Silvanus:

Johnny Novgorod:
[...] more boss fights.

Fully agreed there. The troll fight was recycled far too often, and didn't really count as a boss fight, leaving us with only 4 unique boss fights (excluding the Valkyries).

The problem with the trolls isn't that they're recycled too often, it's that they're just not that interesting/fun to fight. All you really do is hack at their shins untill the death indicator appears. You can't play around with them - climb them, take their giant club away from them to use on them or other enemies. The ogres (who actually look more like trolls but whatever) are reused a lot as well, but fighting them has a bit more to it, so you don't mind when another one shows up.

Johnny Novgorod:
As for the lack of gods/fights... I'm weirded out by the fact Tyr's already dead in this game. It goes against Ragnarok lore, and wastes the perfect opportunity of a kickass boss fight between two Gods of War going into the future. Another missed opportunity seems to be making Jormungadr into a background prop. Or not having any fire giants in fire giant land (again, I know about Ragnarok, but still). If Tyr's already dead and Hodr plays no part in the Baldr arc then clearly you're ok with bending the mythology.

With the way Tyr's built up in this game I'd be surprised if he didn't show up in some form in the sequels. He's basically like Jesus Christ in this universe. I don't know if you finished the game yet, but there's some shenanigans going on. And even early on when the Witch of the Woods talks about the fight between Thor and Jormangadr there's mentions of time travel. I feel pretty confident that we're going to see that fight play out in the sequels. Like I said, they're setting up a shit-ton, to the point where I'm not sure if they can actually pull it off.

Silvanus:

Chimpzy:
Been enjoying it quite a bit, though it took my a while to get used to some of it's mechanics, like that slight knockback when you attack an enemy [...]

No spoilers, but there is an in-game way to eliminate this issue.

I know. I have it now, but don't use it because a) I've learned to compensate for it, and b) I prefer spending my charm notches on other stuff.

Have you encountered Primal Aspids yet? The little orange fuckers that shoot three projectiles at once which, despite not homing, are inexplicably really difficult to reliably dodge.

I have, but while annoying, I don't have much trouble with them since I've got the 3rd nail dmg upgrade, and I can fairly reliably rush and kill them before they have a change to do much. I find getting aggressive works pretty well on most flying enemies.

Casual Shinji:

Silvanus:

Johnny Novgorod:
[...] more boss fights.

The problem with the trolls isn't that they're recycled too often, it's that they're just not that interesting/fun to fight. All you really do is hack at their shins untill the death indicator appears. You can't play around with them - climb them, take their giant club away from them to use on them or other enemies. The ogres (who actually look more like trolls but whatever) are reused a lot as well, but fighting them has a bit more to it, so you don't mind when another one shows up.

Johnny Novgorod:

With the way Tyr's built up in this game I'd be surprised if he didn't show up in some form in the sequels. He's basically like Jesus Christ in this universe. I don't know if you finished the game yet, but there's some shenanigans going on. And even early on when the Witch of the Woods talks about the fight between Thor and Jormangadr there's mentions of time travel. I feel pretty confident that we're going to see that fight play out in the sequels. Like I said, they're setting up a shit-ton, to the point where I'm not sure if they can actually pull it off.

I don't know how far along I am. Picked up Mimir's head, learned the Witch's identity, sailed a whole bunch around the newly drained Lake of Nine and I'm about halfway done with Muspelheim. I guess I'm supposed to be looking for a way to Jotunheim but exploring's too much fun. All I know about the plot is I guess they're gonna get the most mileage out of Baldr being one of the few Aesir that dies before Ragnarok. Then again I know you fight Magni and Modi - who survive Ragnarok - so the game seems to be making its own canon half the time.

After a 5-year hiatus, I finally started playing Borderlands 2 on The Handsome Collection less than a month ago.

I never thought of looking up info about items back when I first played it on PS3, and after finding so many videos from around that time, I have a few thoughts on the community and the game itself.

First of all, are people grinding for items to just post on YouTube about it? They may be making how-to videos on where to farm for gear, but that's basically the same thing. Or are they giving those items away online? I imagine they would keep the best items because it took so much repetitive grinding and sheer luck to find them.

Second, why the hell are 99% of the videos online done with level 72+ characters? All the way up to the max, OP8. Granted, people want to show off the best stuff they have, so of course videos are going to be of the highest level characters. I was just expecting people to show their experiences from NVHM (normal vault hunter mode), from when they were below level 50. Having to respec and change tactics based on newfound gear is a huge part of the experience.

Aside from the likelihood that people posting on YouTube are just doing it to show off items, hence hits to their account (and contributing to a community), the game seems to be about collecting and not much more. The appeal certainly doesn't seem to be about the writing. On that, I feel that one YouTuber put it best about Anthony Burch's writing: He's a narcissist who isn't as funny as he thinks he is.

I'm so close to level 50 that all I want to do is kill Terramorphous. After that, I doubt I'll be starting this game up ever again. I may even break my old rule and sell it to GameStop for pennies on the dollar, as per their usual MO.

I'm enjoying Bloodstained. I think I'm close-ish to the end since I'm approaching 90% map exploration rate. The balance does feel janky in a few areas. There were a middle few bosses where I could just completely destroy through attrition whereas in the late game I had to really get my shit together after getting really complacent in my relative OPness.

But I'm having fun. I haven't played too much Castlevania in the past but I did play Aria/Dawn of Sorrow and this is very reminiscent of it.

I just started Judgement (or Judge Eyes). It's alright so far, but it does unfortunately lack the same level of bonkers as the Yakuza games. My biggest issue though is that the protagonist looks like a total douche, with his black leather jacket over his white T, his jeans, and his stupid looking hip Japanese boyband hairdo. He's a 30-something guy in 2019 and he looks like he walked off the set of Beverly Hills 90210, it's terrible.

I also started another playthrough of Breath of the Wild with some self-imposed restrictions to see if it mitigates some of the issues I have with the game.

1) No upgrading the weapon slots, so that managing weapons, bows, and shields doesn't become such a chore the futher you go.
2) Only 1 upgrade to stamina - enough to capture at least a horse - so that climbing retains that sense of tension. And by extenion, no using Rivali's Gale.
3) No using sheika bombs unless there's actual rock obstruction. So no using it on mineral deposits or enemies. It's so easy to reach for a bomb in most situations and it just makes the experience overall more boring using one on the umpteenth bat or skeleton. And using hammers to mine mineral deposits feels more immersive.
4) No using fast-travel. No reason other than I like needing to physically walk to places in games (if the gameworld is actually good).
5) No using the sheika tracker. Apart from the sound being annoying it's such an obvious objective marker and I feel that goes against what makes this gameworld work so well. Which leads into my final restriction..
6) No using the map (or mini-map). I find I enjoy traversing this world way more if I just let the scenery guide me. Which sounds a bit cringey I guess, but the gameworld feels specifically designed to pull you into these little moments of getting to the top of a hill, entering a small wooded area, or checking across a bridge. And it's these moments where the game is at its best.

So far it's working well enough.

Frezzato:

Second, why the hell are 99% of the videos online done with level 72+ characters? All the way up to the max, OP8. Granted, people want to show off the best stuff they have, so of course videos are going to be of the highest level characters. I was just expecting people to show their experiences from NVHM (normal vault hunter mode), from when they were below level 50. Having to respec and change tactics based on newfound gear is a huge part of the experience.

Aside from the likelihood that people posting on YouTube are just doing it to show off items, hence hits to their account (and contributing to a community), the game seems to be about collecting and not much more. The appeal certainly doesn't seem to be about the writing. On that, I feel that one YouTuber put it best about Anthony Burch's writing: He's a narcissist who isn't as funny as he thinks he is.

I'm so close to level 50 that all I want to do is kill Terramorphous. After that, I doubt I'll be starting this game up ever again. I may even break my old rule and sell it to GameStop for pennies on the dollar, as per their usual MO.

I mean, if you get to the point in a game of grinding out rare gear and making weapon guides for your channel thats probably at least semi-dedicated, you'd just inherently have things maxing out (dunno how exactly Borderlands worked. I gave it a retry when it was the PSPlus freebie this month, and just as I remembered, its the most woefully unimpactful feedback lacking awkward shooter of its era, and possibly even before).

I wouldn't put it entirely past devs to be handing out some kind of xp booster codes to popular channels either, all in all. Warframe prettymuch unabashedly hands out free prime access packs and deluxe bundles to partner streamers. Destiny's streamers are all suspiciously able to never have the problem of getting totally locked out of high end content by their milestones RNGing them out of a slot upgrade. Borderlands I think you don't even have to play online, so they could even just be modding it for super-xp or whatever.

Seth Carter:

I mean, if you get to the point in a game of grinding out rare gear and making weapon guides for your channel thats probably at least semi-dedicated, you'd just inherently have things maxing out (dunno how exactly Borderlands worked. I gave it a retry when it was the PSPlus freebie this month, and just as I remembered, its the most woefully unimpactful feedback lacking awkward shooter of its era, and possibly even before).

I wouldn't put it entirely past devs to be handing out some kind of xp booster codes to popular channels either, all in all. Warframe prettymuch unabashedly hands out free prime access packs and deluxe bundles to partner streamers. Destiny's streamers are all suspiciously able to never have the problem of getting totally locked out of high end content by their milestones RNGing them out of a slot upgrade. Borderlands I think you don't even have to play online, so they could even just be modding it for super-xp or whatever.

Yeah, I understand that somebody would have stuff maxed out for their channel, I just find it odd that so few videos of them starting out would be online. I could be wrong; I think Google is a skewed search engine. The algorithms are likely tilted in favor of showing only the most popular videos (plus mutual SEO manipulation) and based on my self-awareness, I don't exactly seek out the most popular things. I want to see how things start, how they change. I bet if I dug through certain channels I'd find some old start-up videos.

I do agree about the likelihood of devs handing out various advantages but in retrospect, I can see Gearbox simply doing what so many others do; they probably granted closed beta access and both sides benefited. But I can also imagine certain devs granting distinct advantages to positive reviewers. That seems somewhat insidious but thankfully I stay away from F2P and other related categories simply because they're not for me.

Overall, based on my limited experience so far, Borderlands is...about collecting [gear]. It reminds me of how I used to only play the Gran Turismo series to collect cars. Everything else about those games was almost like background noise.

Incidentally, I recently picked up Dangerous Driving, which is by the same core of people who made the Burnout series what it is.

I can't get over how literal the name is. The title is remarkably unremarkable. It's as if they had to translate the original name for a foreign market (like what happens to certain US movies) and then stuck with the translation.

Frezzato:

Yeah, I understand that somebody would have stuff maxed out for their channel, I just find it odd that so few videos of them starting out would be online. I could be wrong; I think Google is a skewed search engine. The algorithms are likely tilted in favor of showing only the most popular videos (plus mutual SEO manipulation) and based on my self-awareness, I don't exactly seek out the most popular things. I want to see how things start, how they change. I bet if I dug through certain channels I'd find some old start-up videos.

There's something to be said for actual different channel focuses too. Some channels focus on guides/tips or what have you. Its certainly the more favored variety as there's generally more people looking for a quick tip or guide, and you can keep putting out new guides and content every time the game patches or whatever.

Whereas a Lets Play channel would be more likely to cover that initial experience. But Lets Plays tend to mostly only be popular in their initial few episodes, and definitely fade out of the algorithms as obsolete and old content since the majority of them would be 5 years old in this case for instance since any major traffic was hitting them. And its very rare for Lets Plays to repeat games as the channel traffic only diminishes further generally (excepting rogue likes in some cases where the new one tends to offer significantly different content)

Seth Carter:

There's something to be said for actual different channel focuses too. Some channels focus on guides/tips or what have you. Its certainly the more favored variety as there's generally more people looking for a quick tip or guide, and you can keep putting out new guides and content every time the game patches or whatever.

Whereas a Lets Play channel would be more likely to cover that initial experience. But Lets Plays tend to mostly only be popular in their initial few episodes, and definitely fade out of the algorithms as obsolete and old content since the majority of them would be 5 years old in this case for instance since any major traffic was hitting them. And its very rare for Lets Plays to repeat games as the channel traffic only diminishes further generally (excepting rogue likes in some cases where the new one tends to offer significantly different content)

I think there's this weird, very small sub genre of lets play videos where people very rarely want to hear the player speak. That or they want some commentary otherwise viewers will get bored. There has to be some in-between I can find. Eh, maybe I'll make some.

It's funny. I equate people posting videos of nothing but the best, most sought-after gear in Borderlands 2 to someone posting videos of racing games - but only as they cross the finish line. That's not entirely fair I admit. There's quite a few videos of folks showing who to farm and more importantly, when and how. Those take a lot of effort for not many views. I tip my hat to those people.

Just to keep this thread from derailing, I also recently got Spider-Man, God of War, and Nier Automata. I have yet to put any serious time into them because reasons. I also got, um, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for Switch - in physical form from Limited Run.

I don't even own a Switch.

To add insult to injury, I actually bought two copies. One for me, the other for my friend (who DOES have a Switch). They came with limited edition cards and I kept both because I knew he wouldn't care about them, including the game. Turns out I was right. Oh well,

Still plugging away at Mafia 3. Enjoying it as a better alternative to GTA in terms of gameplay and story, but it's definitely not as polished from a presentation standpoint. That's about the only plus I could give in GTA's corner, since they're both repetitive but at least Mafia 3 gives you interesting world building and the choice of how you want to establish your hold on the city.

Still interested in getting the dlc too, but waiting for a price drop. Then thinking I'll get back into God of War to clean up in treasure hunting mode and probably swap back and forth with it and Red Dead Redemption 2 until I at least finish the story there. Then I really should get back into Dark Souls 3.

Pixark - Its well, Ark. But crossed over with Minecraft, or more accurately Portal Knights. Which gives some much needed diversity and customization compared to its bigger brother for PvE/coop/solo play.

Also still punching out Outward and Underworld Ascendant. And Dauntless.

Still playing my way through Resident Evil 2 remake, or as I like to call it, "Oh shit, fuck fuck fuck, damn zombie dogs. Where did that Licker come from? Ha, I have ammo this time Mr Zombie." Which is probably why no one has ever let me name a game.

Progress is pretty slow, it depends on how brave I am feeling as to how far I get on a night, yes I am a wimp when it comes to horror, bite me. Bumped into Mr X last night and I have to say, he is far less intimidating when you have a massive area to avoid him in. Having said that, despite actually hearing his footsteps, he made me gasp in shock as he casually turned a corner, I thought he was further away. I would like to of seen the Umbrella meeting for the design of Mr X.

Umbrella Executive: Wow, we have really made a mess of this Raccoon City thing, shit is really hitting the fan. Anything you can do to get us out of this?

Umbrella Scientist: Well there is this, this is Mr X. Latest of our Tyrant line of biological monstrosities. He is super strong, almost impossible to kill and utterly relentless when he goes after a target .

Umbrella Executive: Hmmmm, I don't know...I feel like there is something missing.

Umbrella Scientist: Ummmmm...we could put a hat on him.

Umbrella Executive: SOLD!!!!

Yes I am trying to make sense of a Resident Evil game, shut up.

Bought WatchDogs from the Steam sale... prob start that at some point... finished Call of Duty: World at War the other day...

Catfood220:
Still playing my way through Resident Evil 2 remake, or as I like to call it, "Oh shit, fuck fuck fuck, damn zombie dogs. Where did that Licker come from? Ha, I have ammo this time Mr Zombie." Which is probably why no one has ever let me name a game.

Progress is pretty slow, it depends on how brave I am feeling as to how far I get on a night, yes I am a wimp when it comes to horror, bite me. Bumped into Mr X last night and I have to say, he is far less intimidating when you have a massive area to avoid him in. Having said that, despite actually hearing his footsteps, he made me gasp in shock as he casually turned a corner, I thought he was further away. I would like to of seen the Umbrella meeting for the design of Mr X.

Umbrella Executive: Wow, we have really made a mess of this Raccoon City thing, shit is really hitting the fan. Anything you can do to get us out of this?

Umbrella Scientist: Well there is this, this is Mr X. Latest of our Tyrant line of biological monstrosities. He is super strong, almost impossible to kill and utterly relentless when he goes after a target .

Umbrella Executive: Hmmmm, I don't know...I feel like there is something missing.

Umbrella Scientist: Ummmmm...we could put a hat on him.

Umbrella Executive: SOLD!!!!

Yes I am trying to make sense of a Resident Evil game, shut up.

Nothing wrong with being scared. When I played the original RE 2 at launch (my first RE game) at a friends house, I got scared, screamed, and hid behind my older brother. I had nightmares for two and a half weeks. Just replace Racoon City with Downtown Detroit. RE4 still give me some scares.

The hat actually make sense as it's Umbrella's pathetic attempt to blend Mr. X in. I can't wait (scared sarcasm) to see what they do with Nemesis in the RE3 Remake. Hopefully, Jill comes looking great. Something like this:

I've been playing Horizon Chase Turbo. Free on psn! This is one of the best old-school style arcade racers I have ever seen. The game is a combination of Out Run and Rad Racer. Horizon Chase is way better than some of the AAA racers that have been put out this generation. Where has this game been all of my life?

Recently completed the last of the stories in Octopath Traveler, and finished Unravel.

Silvanus:
Recently completed the last of the stories in Octopath Traveler, and finished Unravel.

Is Octopath good? I've got it on my steam wishlist but I haven't grabbed it. I've heard it's a lot like the older, classic final fantasy games and I liked those a lot more then the newer ones(post IX).

I've gone back to trying to play Red Dead Redemption 2 again.

I just really hate the gameplay. The world, characters and story are great but man the gameplay is just god awful.

Dalisclock:

Is Octopath good? I've got it on my steam wishlist but I haven't grabbed it. I've heard it's a lot like the older, classic final fantasy games and I liked those a lot more then the newer ones(post IX).

Yeah, it's good. It's most like FF 4-6 era, with jobs and (very well realised) turn-based combat etc.

But it's much more predictable than a FF title, and the levelling system is unideal: 8 characters, but only 4 can be in the party at once, meaning 4 aren't gaining XP until you switch them in... coupled with big leaps in suggested levels for chapters, it's hard to keep pace naturally. Might end up grinding, though I still largely avoided grinding by just aiming for all the optional stuff.

Silvanus:

Dalisclock:

Yeah, it's good. It's most like FF 4-6 era, with jobs and (very well realised) turn-based combat etc.

But it's much more predictable than a FF title, and the levelling system is unideal: 8 characters, but only 4 can be in the party at once, meaning 4 aren't gaining XP until you switch them in... coupled with big leaps in suggested levels for chapters, it's hard to keep pace naturally. Might end up grinding, though I still largely avoided grinding by just aiming for all the optional stuff.

It's weird to hear that, because leaked experience was a known thing back in 1990's JRPGs, which this game clearly seeks to emulate. Why they didn't implement it here just seems bizarre

PIxArk.

Essentially its Ark, but with minecraft block physics instead. Also with a magic system (and accompanying magical creatures beyond what Ark had). And some random generated quests to spice up the box.

Also generally seems to have less toxic twits on the official servers, and its much less strain to host a co-op game.

UI's still a little rough though, oddly missing even some of the QoL shortcuts the original game had (although it has some others, likey "Transfer matching items to box")

Nothing like Redstone machinery though, for those hardcore minecraft enthusiasts.

I'm getting back into my backlog. Just finished Darksiders II (which REALLY overstayed its welcome), and restarted Tales of Zestiria. If my memory serves, I'm getting close to where I left my last playthrough, and I'm pretty sure that I'd have been struggling if I hadn't restarted.

Dalisclock:

It's weird to hear that, because leaked experience was a known thing back in 1990's JRPGs, which this game clearly seeks to emulate. Why they didn't implement it here just seems bizarre

Yeah, it's odd-- particularly considering some post-game stuff requires all characters to be able to hold their own. The system in Pokemon is perfect; make it optional, with extra XP if you choose to have it focused only on those active.

These are minor gripes, though. I would still recommend it. Visual design, combat system, options for different playstyles, and music are all great.

Still going through The Division 2, and its fine - would probably be better with friends, but as it stands, I find myself sitting in a lul of finding the skills that I like, finding the weapons that I like, and then just slowly upgrading the same things over and over again. What ends up happening, is each encounter feels like the same thing, because I am effectively using the same weapons again and again, and using the same abilities again and again, aside from a slight variation in stats from upgrade to upgrade. My character is levelling up, and im getting new gear, so Im getting more powerful, but I haven't actually felt like my character has meaningfully changed since I unlocked my second ability. So, I will probably complete the story mode, and then drop the game, unless anyone I know ends up buying into it.

I have also started playing Halo SPV3.2 which is a mod for the PC version of Halo CE. Some of the artistic choices are questionable, but other than that, the mod is excellent. The mod adds additional weapons, enemies and even levels to Halo CE, to result in a game that feels substantially different to what Halo CE originally was, despite following the same story. Its free, and I would recommend it, even if it can feel a tad bloated at times.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here