What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 . . . 45 NEXT

Picked up Final Fantasy 14 in loo of the new expansion. So I've been playing through the story and leveling through the MMO. Doubt I'll stick with the game, I'm just not interested in doing the whole mmo dungeon cycle thing again. However I am having fun leveling a Cat girl and punching the shit outta the content.

People keep telling me how good the story is in the game, but I'm finding it boring as fuck and am just skipping it. I like playing through the content, but I just don't care about the context.

Got me Steins; Gate in the Steam summer sale. Am playing it.

My impressions so far is that I dislike the main character and so far my ability to impact the plot has been indirect at best. But the story is good.

CritialGaming:
Picked up Final Fantasy 14 in loo of the new expansion. So I've been playing through the story and leveling through the MMO. Doubt I'll stick with the game, I'm just not interested in doing the whole mmo dungeon cycle thing again. However I am having fun leveling a Cat girl and punching the shit outta the content.

People keep telling me how good the story is in the game, but I'm finding it boring as fuck and am just skipping it. I like playing through the content, but I just don't care about the context.

You should just go straight to heavensward. Everyone says that a realm reborn is really slow. And it helps to see the game as a virtual final fantasy theme park.

I've gone through a couple of characters on My Time at Portia. It doesn't have quite as much content as something like Stardew Valley, but it provides a good version of it for variety and a 3d world. Plus, although it has farming, the main character is a "builder" and crafting is the primary job. There's only a few of the character stories that are particularly deep, and you can finish most of the story before a 2nd in game year goes by. But I'm hoping they are still adding content.

Otherwise I picked up Monster Hunter World in the Steam sale. And...

Its really hard to articulate. My only previous experience with Monster Hunter was Tri, and World hasn't really impressed me as much. Yet. The weapons don't have the same sense of impact they did in Tri. You brush whatever weapon you are using against monster de jour, and a number comes out and occasionally they have a reaction to it... or they die. And the difficulty seems to be scaled way down. In Tri I remember having to work my way up to actually being able to fight the first of the "large monsters." In World you start out powerful enough to go forth and wipe the floor with the first one right out of the gate. I remember one of the dinos in Tri that pounded me into mulch the first dozen times I fought it until I went back and farmed some rare drops from other big monsters and made them into a specific set of armor and weapon that I had to use to finally bring the big monster with. In World, you run across that same dino in the 2nd area you open up... and I was able to easily kill it even though I was unprepared with just what I had on hand. In playing World like I did Tri... I feel as if I'm usually overprepared and there seems to be less challenge to any given hunt. Its still fun, but it just seems watered down next to Tri.

Kyrian007:
I've gone through a couple of characters on My Time at Portia. It doesn't have quite as much content as something like Stardew Valley, but it provides a good version of it for variety and a 3d world. Plus, although it has farming, the main character is a "builder" and crafting is the primary job. There's only a few of the character stories that are particularly deep, and you can finish most of the story before a 2nd in game year goes by. But I'm hoping they are still adding content.

I really liked Stardew Valley(but haven't played it since they added a bunch of new features over the past few years). I've been interested in "My time at Portia" but wasn't sure if it was worth it. Is it distinct or better in enough ways to warrent getting if I liked Stardew and wanted something similar?

I really think it is. It doesn't have as much content, but it provides a very similar feel to SD. It has very similar elements; mining, fishing, farming. But the focus isn't on those, its on crafting and building... a subtle difference I thought made it pretty good.

I'm pretty much embarking on the journey to Platinum for MGS4. Of course that means attaining the Big Boss emblem again, but like Uncharted I find the game uniquely (and often strangely) charming overall to attempt even some of the more insane requirements. Like Chicken.

Just finished my first playthrough of Detroit: Become Human.

I say first, because I am definitely playing this game numerous times over in the future to explore all the options and possibilities. Because holy shit, I fucking love it so damn much.

I've been playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Its good. Its like Castlevania, but like modern and not terrible

Lego DC supervillains, oh innocence, hast thou returned once more? You letting me put my own little self-insert fan-fic Lego superhero in here now?? Aww, how could I possibly deny you? Oh wait, I literally can't, as it's required to start the game. Fine! It's gonna have to be super cringe. If only that was an available power; the power of cringe...anyone within sight of you curls up into tight balls of shame. Too close to reality though.
Kinda annoying how the only times the game gets challenging is when it either bugs out, doesn't explain something or expects you to jump onto a rope with a side-angled camera that doesn't present depth so well, or seemingly at all. Also anyone in multiplayer not using flash or his speed powers is an utter fool. Also also, it has the saints row 4 problem of putting vehicles in a game where your powers are often a million times more effective at getting about. And they control like absolute shite. But still playing it to the bitter end. Has a South Park: stick of truth (and the sequel) vibe to it in many ways.

Lego Marvel superheroes 2, it's exactly the same. No really, exactly. Where's that bloody innocence gone to? Hurry up! Cynicism is starting to suspect something's up, and getting all antsy and soul consuming.

Spyro reignited, seriously you fucks only put the first game out of three on the disc, leaving the rest to have to be downloaded, so anyone without an internet connection can only access a third of the product??? After crash team racing, what's with these remakes of classic single-player games having arbitrary online requirements for stuff that shouldn't ever need them, Activision? You fucking fucks. Argh, screw innocence! What good is it in this world other than to please horny old men? At least cynicism prepares you. Oh sweet cynicism, welcome back into my loving arms!

Neurotic Void Melody:
Lego DC supervillains, oh innocence, hast thou returned once more? You letting me put my own little self-insert fan-fic Lego superhero in here now?? Aww, how could I possibly deny you? Oh wait, I literally can't, as it's required to start the game. Fine! It's gonna have to be super cringe. If only that was an available power; the power of cringe...anyone within sight of you curls up into tight balls of shame. Too close to reality though.
Kinda annoying how the only times the game gets challenging is when it either bugs out, doesn't explain something or expects you to jump onto a rope with a side-angled camera that doesn't present depth so well, or seemingly at all. Also anyone in multiplayer not using flash or his speed powers is an utter fool. Also also, it has the saints row 4 problem of putting vehicles in a game where your powers are often a million times more effective at getting about. And they control like absolute shite. But still playing it to the bitter end. Has a South Park: stick of truth (and the sequel) vibe to it in many ways.

Lego Marvel superheroes 2, it's exactly the same. No really, exactly. Where's that bloody innocence gone to? Hurry up! Cynicism is starting to suspect something's up, and getting all antsy and soul consuming.

Spyro reignited, seriously you fucks only put the first game out of three on the disc, leaving the rest to have to be downloaded, so anyone without an internet connection can only access a third of the product??? After crash team racing, what's with these remakes of classic single-player games having arbitrary online requirements for stuff that shouldn't ever need them, Activision? You fucking fucks. Argh, screw innocence! What good is it in this world other than to please horny old men? At least cynicism prepares you. Oh sweet cynicism, welcome back into my loving arms!

...I think just reading that was a game in of itself. 0_0

Hawki:
...I think just reading that was a game in of itself. 0_0

The only way to win is to not play at all. :)

Anyway, one thing I wanted to add, but can't sneakily edit in now it's been quoted (damn you!), is that it's nice to see Lego variants of the quirkier DC stuff; such as Grandma Goodness and her knitted minions. Where's all that loveliness in the movie-verse, Warner Bros? Is it in the Snyder cut?

Just got the mask from Laughing Octopus. It's surprising how well the character models in particular hold up in this game, especially considering it's all real time which was incredibly rare for a 7th gen console game. The fact that even the cutscenes are interactive is icing on the cake.

The first two chapters of MG4 still have some of the best gameplay and design in the series. Granted it doesn't afford the options you get with a sandbox, air drops and vehicles like MGSV, but the level design and unique situations within it are often cleverly conceived. Being able to ally with the rebels and exchanging items is a nice angle, plus they can provide good cover fire for sneaking.

To me even though the later acts lost steam in terms of action, they are also highly varied and interesting in their own right. To me MGS4 has the most level variety of the whole series in terms of missions and locales. Each one has a very different flavor and I enjoy them all for what they are.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I'm in the middle of stealing an obsidian eye from a gangster. I'm gonna get killed. All part of the game.

I beat God of War (2018) the other day and got Platinum after the one and only intense boss fight in the game.
I'm currently playing a bunch of Overcooked! with my girlfriend and also some Borderlands 2 for old time's sake.

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars and the Kane's Wrath expansion. Haven't played either in years and it's good for the commander to be welcomed back. Kane did nothing wrong.

Finished the MSQ of FFXIV: Shadowbringers with Summoner and played through the currently available endgame content and got all the Ronkan gear for it. Now I'm levelling Paladin from level 70 to 80, hopefully by the time I'm done with that the next patch will be out and I can jump into Hard dungeons, raids, and the Nier: Automata themed alliance raids (As well as a new batch of main scenario quests to start tying up loose ends from Shadowbringers and begin preparing for the next expansion). Shadowbringers had a significantly tighter story than the previous expansion, Stormblood, and was about on par with the first expansion Heavensward. If the endgame content measures up to Stormblood's, which was better than Heavensward's, then it will be my favourite expansion so far.

I just found out that Graveyard Keeper has been released for PS4. So that. Not played much tonight as I got into some Overwatch with a friend. But will be playing it tomorrow.

I first heard about this game from Youtuber, Dangerously Funny's videos and it is right up my street. Think of Stardew Valley, only instead of a farm, you are looking after a graveyard and like Stardew Valley, I can see this game stealing hours of my life.

Catfood220:
I just found out that Graveyard Keeper has been released for PS4. So that. Not played much tonight as I got into some Overwatch with a friend. But will be playing it tomorrow.

I first heard about this game from Youtuber, Dangerously Funny's videos and it is right up my street. Think of Stardew Valley, only instead of a farm, you are looking after a graveyard and like Stardew Valley, I can see this game stealing hours of my life.

That's a game I kept an eye on for a while and was really tempted to grab, but it keeps coming back to people saying how incredibly grindy and interlocked everything is. Stardew you can start making decent money fairly quickly, where as allegedly in Graveyard keeper there a ton of upgrades barring making any real money.

If this is wrong, I've love to know, because I do like the idea so much and it's really the idea of the game taking so long to really get going is pretty much the big thing keeping me away.

Recently finished Unravel, & currently playing Axiom Verge (got it in the Switch sale). Its really good... if a little shameless in its Metroid emulation.

Almost done with Breath of the Wild. I finished all the shrines and got the Armor of the Wild (aka Link's iconic green tunic, hat and leather boots). I'll probably go fight Ganon after fully upgrading it.

After finishing, I'll play either Octopath Traveler or The World Ends With You.

Silvanus:
Recently finished Unravel, & currently playing Axiom Verge (got it in the Switch sale). Its really good... if a little shameless in its Metroid emulation.

It's wierd, just by seeing the trailer and screenshots, the whole thing screamed Metroid to me.

I've heard it's good but rather shameless about it's inspiration.

Then again, Hollow Knight really likes playing at being Bug Souls, even if the creators are trying to pretend otherwise. It's still really good, but it's incredibly hard to believe HK isn't taking Dark Souls but making it more like Metroid.

Dalisclock:

It's wierd, just by seeing the trailer and screenshots, the whole thing screamed Metroid to me.

I've heard it's good but rather shameless about it's inspiration.

Then again, Hollow Knight really likes playing at being Bug Souls, even if the creators are trying to pretend otherwise. It's still really good, but it's incredibly hard to believe HK isn't taking Dark Souls but making it more like Metroid.

Hollow Knight takes quite a bit from Dark Souls (death mechanics most significantly) as well as Castlevania (rather than Metroid, I'd say).

Still, it's unique enough in both aesthetic and gameplay. It feels rich and distinct to me.

Axiom Verge is much closer to Metroid than Hollow Knight is to either Dark Souls or Castlevania, though-- even to the point of enemy behaviours.

CaitSeith:
Almost done with Breath of the Wild. I finished all the shrines and got the Armor of the Wild (aka Link's iconic green tunic, hat and leather boots). I'll probably go fight Ganon after fully upgrading it.

Where do you get that? I thought that was just an Amiibo unlockable.

Marik2:

CritialGaming:

You should just go straight to heavensward. Everyone says that a realm reborn is really slow. And it helps to see the game as a virtual final fantasy theme park.

I just beat Heavensward and am moving onto Stormblood. The story fucking bores me to death though. I found myself just skipping all the nonsense. The way FF tells a story just doesn't fit with an MMO imo, especially when you are trying to catch up to everyone else I feel like they should have offered a way to skip at very least the post game story patches so you can jump to the next expansion at the proper level.

By the time I finished ARR's post game I was already level 55. Now I'm in HW post game and I'm level 64 which means I am outleveling the content before I can even get a chance to try to give a fuck about it. Which is just bad.

Casual Shinji:

CaitSeith:

It appears at the Forgotten Temple after finding and beating all the 120 shrines.

EDIT: It seems there are like 3 or 4 amiibo versions; but those imitate the clothes from previous games. This one is technically the official version for Breath of the Wild, so it has its unique details, it can be upgraded and even dyed.

CaitSeith:

Casual Shinji:

CaitSeith:

It appears at the Forgotten Temple after finding and beating all the 120 shrines.

Ah okay, thanks!

Close to finished with hollow knight.

Awoke the Dream Nail, got most if not all of the charms I want(Torn if I really want Hiveblood). Working through the white palace now.

You know how most games with multiple endings either ask you to make a series of (normally logical) decisions along the way or occasionally you get the "Choose Ending A/B/C by pushing button" variant?

Hollow Knight be like "Haha. You're gonna work for your happy ending, buddy. You're gonna earn it. Oh, how you're gonna earn it". 3 bonus bosses(at least), 2 new areas you normally don't have to mess with, one of which is a platform hell of saw blades and death traps, and a much harder final boss.

But yeah, I've be working the white palace for hours now(I've reached the 3rd bench, just before spikes start showing up) and I have no idea how far I have to go and boy, is this shit brutal at times. It makes Sens Funhouse from Dark Souls seem like baby's first playland. Though admittedly I've never play super meat boy so maybe that's why I'm having problems with it.

Dalisclock:
That's a game I kept an eye on for a while and was really tempted to grab, but it keeps coming back to people saying how incredibly grindy and interlocked everything is. Stardew you can start making decent money fairly quickly, where as allegedly in Graveyard keeper there a ton of upgrades barring making any real money.

If this is wrong, I've love to know, because I do like the idea so much and it's really the idea of the game taking so long to really get going is pretty much the big thing keeping me away.

Thought I'd play this a bit before giving you my answer and please bear in mind that I'm not that far into it. Right, yes, it is a bit grindy, you will not be making money like you would in Stardew Valley, but I have found that money isn't really a big factor in the early game. Its all about unlocking skills which is easy because pretty much everything you do will give you red and green skill points which you need to unlock early skills. And much of the stuff you need to build is easily made with materials found in the environment. Basically, its about building what you need and unlocking what you need when you need it, I can't help you in that, I seem to be doing everything the hard way. I'm sure there are guides out there if you want help getting started.

Once you get the church open, then you can start selling the burial certificates you get for burying people. But to do that, you will have to get your graveyard to a certain level, which is pretty easy. And you can increase the size of the graveyard by giving the Inquisitor some firewood. This is what I have learned in my play time so far.

But yeah, I'm having fun with this game, couple of things annoy me, like the pathetic stamina meter and the way the game doesn't tell you how to sell stuff, I only figured that out after a couple of hours play. But other than that, I like it.

I'm currently playing Lunar: Silver Star Harmony on the PSP. It's a fun little RPG but boy are there a lot of battles to slog through. It's almost impossible to avoid the enemies on the screen as they are all close together and getting caught by one means you are pretty much guaranteed to get into another straight after as the enemies charge you as soon as they've spotted you.

Still it is nice to see a game that can punish you for trying to repeatedly talk to the same NPC. Lost a good staff to an old witch in the forest because I can't help but talk to people in role playing games over and over.

Played God of War '18 again (on Challenging obviously), and this time I made a serious attempt at beating the Valkyries. I won't get all of them because the final trail in Muspelheim is a bitch, and fuck Nilfheim entirely, but man, the ones I did fight (apart from the first two) are some terrific goddamn battles.

Also playing through Mario Galaxy again, and will probably go for Galaxy 2 after that.

Dalisclock:

But yeah, I've be working the white palace for hours now(I've reached the 3rd bench, just before spikes start showing up) and I have no idea how far I have to go and boy, is this shit brutal at times. It makes Sens Funhouse from Dark Souls seem like baby's first playland. Though admittedly I've never play super meat boy so maybe that's why I'm having problems with it.

I'm not sure I could have made it through White Palace without Hiveblood. It's invaluable in there.

Catfood220:

Thought I'd play this a bit before giving you my answer and please bear in mind that I'm not that far into it. Right, yes, it is a bit grindy, you will not be making money like you would in Stardew Valley, but I have found that money isn't really a big factor in the early game. Its all about unlocking skills which is easy because pretty much everything you do will give you red and green skill points which you need to unlock early skills. And much of the stuff you need to build is easily made with materials found in the environment. Basically, its about building what you need and unlocking what you need when you need it, I can't help you in that, I seem to be doing everything the hard way. I'm sure there are guides out there if you want help getting started.

Once you get the church open, then you can start selling the burial certificates you get for burying people. But to do that, you will have to get your graveyard to a certain level, which is pretty easy. And you can increase the size of the graveyard by giving the Inquisitor some firewood. This is what I have learned in my play time so far.

But yeah, I'm having fun with this game, couple of things annoy me, like the pathetic stamina meter and the way the game doesn't tell you how to sell stuff, I only figured that out after a couple of hours play. But other than that, I like it.

Is it true your intial tools break constantly and replacing them is costly?

I am curious now, regardless, and I'll probably grab it the next time it goes on sale.

Silvanus:

Dalisclock:

I'm not sure I could have made it through White Palace without Hiveblood. It's invaluable in there.

I made it to the 3rd bench(the one on the balcony before you start seeing spears) using grubsong and deep focus, which along with dream-nailing the occasional palace staff(it took me a long time to realize dream nailing refills soul super fast). Unfortunately, eventually you'll run out of SOUL and with no enemies or NPCs, back to the bench. I eventually broke down and went back out to get hiveblood(the Hive Knight was a lot easier with the Pure nail and quickslash), so now it's really just down to me being patient enough to get all the way up to the top from here.

I will say, the fact you can fall back down, die and it resets the checkpoint to the lower area again is frustrating as shit. I never really noticed it before but here I've spent a while trying to get past certain spots quite a number of times.

Dalisclock:

Is it true your intial tools break constantly and replacing them is costly?

I am curious now, regardless, and I'll probably grab it the next time it goes on sale.

Yes and yes. However you can get a fair bit of use out them before they break and when you meet the blacksmith pretty early on, he will give you a whetstone which you can use to fix your tools. The whetstone has a use gauge but it lasts for a while. And as you go through the blacksmith skill tree, you will unlock the ability to make your own tools which will only cost you a few of your resources.

Casual Shinji:
Played God of War '18 again (on Challenging obviously), and this time I made a serious attempt at beating the Valkyries. I won't get all of them because the final trail in Muspelheim is a bitch, and fuck Nilfheim entirely, but man, the ones I did fight (apart from the first two) are some terrific goddamn battles.

Also playing through Mario Galaxy again, and will probably go for Galaxy 2 after that.

Why not keep going for them? You probably have quite a bit of good gear/runics by now, or did you start a brand new playthrough sans NG+?

I only have the Muspelheim one and Queen left myself IIRC on my original save file (GMaC diff.), and I think I'm at the 4th arena. I haven't played in months so it will take a bit to reacquaint myself, but yeah these fights are too good to pass up and have some of the best rewards in the game.

On topic, took a detour from MGS4 to get back into MK11. Started playing Kitana again but tried out Skarlet some more and am liking her style. I also must be getting close to collecting quite a few characters' heads for the Krypt shrine with all the finishers I've been doing. Wish there was a way to track it per character but alas I'll have to be surprised.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 . . . 45 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here