What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 . . . 42 NEXT

Nearing the ending of The Sinking City and really enjoyed it. Yeah, it's full of jank, mild glitches, peculiar hiccups, jerky animations, weird pop-ins and the combat sucks; but the atmosphere and investigations are awesome. At times I really felt stuck in this rainy shithole and could almost reek the smell of rotting fish. The low-key delivery, neo-gothic architecture and swelling soundtrack delivered a constant impending sense of dread. Obviously made on a budget but I'm still surprised by the small development staff. They must have put in tremendous effort and the kind of devotion definitely shows. This is the next AA game I really enjoyed in just a few months after the amazing A Plague Tale. Glad to see some of the more unconventional titles make a comeback even if they are largely ignored by the masses and have a(in Sinking City's case) poor metacritic score.

Also playing Dragon Quest 11; definitely remind me of an 8-bit NES classic in gorgeous hand-drawn 3D. Not a big fan of that Dragonball guy's style but in DQ it just pops and really fit the game. However, the music is atrocious probably the worst music I have ever heard in a game. I play the game on mute and same goes for voice acting which is also horrendous. With music and voices on the game sounds like some high-on-sugar children's cartoon. The game itself has so much obvious craft put into it but these crucial elements(espescially the music) really hurt the experience. But yeah, enjoyed what I played of it but don't think I enjoyed it enough to put in the time investment needed to complete it.

Same goes for Shadow of War that I also currently played. Really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor when it came out and skipped this one when it was originally released b/c of lootboxes and stuff, but apparently they cleaned it up so I picked it up at last PSN sale. Have to say, game is good but I'm already getting tired of the repetitive gameplay loop, even if the Nemesis system adds a lot of spice and this is the best incarnation of Arkham combat that's ever been. It's just that the story sucks, I don't care for the characters and there is simply too much content with most of it not being worthwhile. I guess there were fewer games to play in 2014 or general 'AAA' fatique has finally set in but whatever the reason I doubt it's a game I'll continue.

hanselthecaretaker:

Casual Shinji:
Played God of War '18 again (on Challenging obviously), and this time I made a serious attempt at beating the Valkyries. I won't get all of them because the final trail in Muspelheim is a bitch, and fuck Nilfheim entirely, but man, the ones I did fight (apart from the first two) are some terrific goddamn battles.

Also playing through Mario Galaxy again, and will probably go for Galaxy 2 after that.

Why not keep going for them? You probably have quite a bit of good gear/runics by now, or did you start a brand new playthrough sans NG+?

The last two before you can fight "the queen" are in Niflheim and Muspelheim, and like I said, fuck Niflheim. Even with the gear I got that place is a gargantuan pain in the ass, and I'm not gonna subject myself to that. And the final Muspelheim trail I think consists of killing enemies in a circular area within the allotted time, and I remember that bugging the shit out of me too. I got 6 out of 8, and I'm good with that.

Finally finished AC Odyssey with the end of the Fate of Atlantis DLC. All in all, the end was worth the trip but damn if that DLC wasn't as long as a full game in itself(20-25 hours).

I have more to say but I'll save it for the Odyssey thread. I'm pretty much glad to be finished, except for a brief visit when the Discovery Tour shows up in September.

I was kind of premature on dismissing Shadow of War. By chapter 2 the Nemesis system really opens up and it completely elevates the game. They took what was cool about the system in the previous game and built upon it exponentially. You can dominate orcs and let them infiltrate a captain's ranks, you can burn mark them and they will come back with a visible hand burned on their mug, you can recruit them and let them turn on their buddies and fight alongside you(and if they level up they can also betray you again), you can let an orc send death threats to other orcs and they will try to find you and call you out. The combinations in the meta game are just insane. On top of that; orcs react context appropriately when you chase them, attack them or flee from them. Their personalities are also often hilarious espescially when they return once you killed them before with visible injuries from that last encounter. When you unlock some of the skills the combat can also get absolutely viscious. The animations are simply so good as are the sound effects which really sometimes makes me cringe about the harsh punishment dealt out on the orcs. xD

The Nemesis system is simply so awesome I wonder why it's never been adopted by other games. Instead of resetting the game to prefixed enemy placements that makes every run the same enemies now actually respond to your presence and the actions you perform and act accordingly. It just adds an immeasurable level of depth and personality to the game.

Dark Souls Remastered. I played the PC version of DS1 and got all the achievements, but the online for it is broken, so I played it essentially offline. Now I am playing it again, with the intent on getting all the achievements again, but with the ability to do the online stuff. Wow, not being stuck on Ornstein and Smough for AGES is so nice! I basically got 2 summons and hid in the back while they did all the work. As repayment for that, I have helped a bunch of other people defeat them, cause I hate fighting them, though as a summon its not so bad since dying as a summon has no actual consequences.

I wish my computer could handle Dark Souls III, I really want to play it... I fucking love Dark Souls.

Dalisclock:
Finally finished AC Odyssey with the end of the Fate of Atlantis DLC. All in all, the end was worth the trip but damn if that DLC wasn't as long as a full game in itself(20-25 hours).

I have more to say but I'll save it for the Odyssey thread. I'm pretty much glad to be finished, except for a brief visit when the Discovery Tour shows up in September.

Slowly making my way through Ep2, almost finished it. One sidequest left and last Fallen to kill. The setting is pretty good, but I'm still kinda *meh* about it. :/

Other than that...

WatchDogs - late to the party as usual

Way too much FF14.

Other than that, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. It's honestly a step back from the previous game in a lot of ways (I was a big fan of the franchise before now), which is disappointing. It also does not at all seem balanced around solo play. The AI party members are brain dead and the camera is horrendous. I'll play it to the end of the story to see if my opinion improves.

Starting Octopath Traveler. I think I made the right choice by starting a the scholar. The enemies are weak to specific elements/weapon-types, and the scholar allows you to reveal them without need of trial-and-error (starting the battle automatically reveals a weakness from each enemy). I remember that someone said you get fully recovered after each battle; but that's not true. You get healed automatically when you level up; it's just that at lower levels you level up every couple of battles.

CaitSeith:
Starting Octopath Traveler. I think I made the right choice by starting a the scholar. The enemies are weak to specific elements/weapon-types, and the scholar allows you to reveal them without need of trial-and-error (starting the battle automatically reveals a weakness from each enemy). I remember that someone said you get fully recovered after each battle; but that's not true. You get healed automatically when you level up; it's just that at lower levels you level up every couple of battles.

I picked it up on sale and I'm anxious to play it, but I kinda need to play a fewer shorter games for a bit first. That being said, I've heard whatever character you pick first has it the hardest(due to not having any other characters to support for a bit) so it's kinda important to decide which one to grab first.

I'm quite a bit further into Monster Hunter World and I can continue to agree it comes up short compared to previous entries in the series. The weapons have lost a lot of the sense of impact they had, not much was added to the formula, and the difficulty was taken out behind the shed and shot. Case in point, I have failed a quest... once. And even then only as a result of accidentally killing a monster I was supposed to capture. There hasn't been anything like the quest in Tri where you are swimming around, harvesting some water stuff, when a giant water lightning dragon attacks and you have no chance against it and are forced to flee in terror. They've tried (seemingly) but so far I've never been attacked by anything I couldn't solo kill. The first monster you come across that you can use to make Ice armor and weapons, I farmed about a dozen times before advancing in the story and finding out that same monster is supposedly the next big bad. And I've already made matching gloves and boots and an axe out of bits I've carved out of monsters just like him. They drop you into a confrontation with the next "big bad" soon after in a "supposed to run away" mission, but I was accidentally well prepared to fight it and carved it up like a turkey. And then in a cutscene in a later mission I'm still running from it... that thing I've killed 5 of and made into pants and a shield? In MH: Tri just about every monster kicked my butt a time or 2 before I started defeating them. So far in World... that hasn't happened once.

I've figured it out. World is the reboot. It's baby's first Monster Hunter. And that's not a bad thing, Monster Hunter is a good series and more people should try it. And World is a good place to start. So overall, despite what looks like a fairly negative review... thumbs up. Conditionally... for people looking to get into Monster Hunter.

Dalisclock:

CaitSeith:

I picked it up on sale and I'm anxious to play it, but I kinda need to play a fewer shorter games for a bit first. That being said, I've heard whatever character you pick first has it the hardest(due to not having any other characters to support for a bit) so it's kinda important to decide which one to grab first.

I'm on my fourth now, but I think their starting chapters' dungeons scale in difficulty (while with the first character I had to fight one or two weak random enemies, now I'm fighting 3); and they are tailored to their respective local character, so even the first one shouldn't be a problem as long as you play to their strengths. Just make sure to have a bunch of healing items before facing the boss.

CaitSeith:

Dalisclock:

CaitSeith:

I'm on my fourth now, but I think their starting chapters' dungeons scale in difficulty (while with the first character I had to fight one or two weak random enemies, now I'm fighting 3); and they are tailored to their respective local character, so even the first one shouldn't be a problem as long as you play to their strengths. Just make sure to have a bunch of healing items before facing the boss.

That's good to hear.

Also, not to be snarky, isn't having a ton of healing items rule #1 for a jRPG? Even to the point you'll horde the really good healing items for the finale and probably never use hardly any of them(Because there could be a harder boss waiting just up the road).

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does that.

Just finished Shadow Hearts: Covenant and it was fucking fantastic. Neat setting, fun combat system, loads of content, and one of the most likeable cast of characters in a JRPG I've ever encountered.

Almost finished with Hollow Knight. I've beaten

to get two of the bad endings and I've attempted quite a few times with little luck. She's basically a bullet hell shooter. Which I guess is fitting coming right after the platforming murder course which was the white palace(Seriously King, what's what all the damn sawblades? Were you planning on opening a lumber mill or something?)

Been dabbling with Astroneer a bit and it's strangely addicting despite being a "Explore, Find Resources, Research stuff, make new equipment to build better equipment." gameplay loop with the only real threat that of running out of Oxygen most of the time because your Oxygen take only holds like 90 seconds once you leave the tether. Still, kinda nice when I just want to play something chill for a few minutes and not need an hour to devote to it.

At the moment, I'm about halfway through Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. It's the Japan-only GBA one with Roy. It's pretty difficult, but it's got some well designed maps and the story's interesting enough. Probably wouldn't recommend it to someone who's never played a Fire Emblem game, but it's a good intermediate step between the other two GBA titles or even potentially a later one to the really old ones like Genealogy of the Holy War.

Just finished Wolfenstein: The New Colossus. I'm still mentally processing it all, but my initial reaction is something along the lines of "wow, that was a really polished two-thirds of a game". It's well crafted. In many cases it paints a gorgeous, almost believable alternate reality dystopia. But maddeningly, it doesn't seem to fully commit to any of the dozens of directions it could have gone in. You can be stealthy, but it's a crap stealth game. There is action, but then again there are hours of cumulative game time spent wandering in sewers, ruins or industrial corridors between firefights. The characters are good, but mostly go without any development. Most disappointingly for me, the idea of experiencing a Vichy postwar America never materialised to any substantial degree. I didn't realise the end fight was the finale until well after it had passed, and the game ends with a toot rather than a bang.

Oh well, time to find out how good the extended content is on the journey to 100%.

After some deliberation, started Octopath Traveler as Therion, the Thief. This does feel very much like an oldschool FF game and once I got the hang of the Break/Boost system, have been doing pretty well. Unlocking SP/HP Steal and learning how to use it is also helping.

So yeah, glad this one made it to PC. Looking forward to 50 or so hours of Nostalgic JPRG goodness.

Picked up Wolfenstein Youngblood (which is actually selling at the below standard price point (40 US I think) for just the game itself. I ended up grabbing the deluxe version which is a bit closer to regular AAA price to get the buddy pass that lets me invite any of my buddies play co-op with me without havign to buy it themselves.

Early impressions have been positive. The level systems feels a little oddball and out of place. The upgrade system seems generally fine, but its weird having levels that bring up your damage stat mixed into the game (along with corresponding enemy levels). I'm not sure if there was an XP boost amidst the microstore stuff I ignored, but its a bit of a rough note.

The length of the game based on current completion showing on my save might be a bit short. But it seems like having Arkane hop on the project as well has done wonders for the level design. Alternate routes and side objectives abound all over the place, much more reminescent of Dishonored's zones then the half-hearted trudge of linear ruins and corridors New Colossus had. The stealth still doesn't seem to get quite up to snuff, although you do have access to an temporary cloak that can help sneak by some of the rougher patches (you can also fairly early on get an x-ray scope on at least one gun that will show you enemies through walls, though in a very limited radius visible in the scope).

Fire Emblem Three Houses has been pretty good so far. About 20 hours into the Black Eagles route.

Was playing through the Splinter Cell games, then I got to Double Agent.
Stopping, it's bad.

Dalisclock:
After some deliberation, started Octopath Traveler as Therion, the Thief. This does feel very much like an oldschool FF game and once I got the hang of the Break/Boost system, have been doing pretty well. Unlocking SP/HP Steal and learning how to use it is also helping.

So yeah, glad this one made it to PC. Looking forward to 50 or so hours of Nostalgic JPRG goodness.

I already got all the characters; and I think Therion has the most thematically fitting starting chapter for a thief in a fantasy world. A story based solely on his quest would be enough for a good indie RPG.

CaitSeith:

Dalisclock:

I already got all the characters; and I think Therion has the most thematically fitting starting chapter for a thief in a fantasy world. A story based solely on his quest would be enough for a good indie RPG.

Although I went with Hannit as my MC when I played through the game I would argue that Therion is objectively the best character to lead your party from a gameplay perspective. He's the only character in the game that can unlock chests, he can steal some OP items pretty early, and is a really good support character in general.

If I were to do another full playthrough again I would pick Therion for sure. I would keep Hannit in the party most of the time still though since I like her and she is the best physical attacker in the game.

stroopwafel:
Same goes for Shadow of War that I also currently played. Really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor when it came out and skipped this one when it was originally released b/c of lootboxes and stuff, but apparently they cleaned it up so I picked it up at last PSN sale. Have to say, game is good but I'm already getting tired of the repetitive gameplay loop, even if the Nemesis system adds a lot of spice and this is the best incarnation of Arkham combat that's ever been. It's just that the story sucks, I don't care for the characters and there is simply too much content with most of it not being worthwhile. I guess there were fewer games to play in 2014 or general 'AAA' fatique has finally set in but whatever the reason I doubt it's a game I'll continue.

I'm playing Shadow of War now and I'm also not that crazy about it, even though the combat/stealth/traversal/army management are all fun mechanics. Tedious despite being a lot like Shadow of Mordor (or because of it). I was reminded of the hack writing behind Silent Hill: Homecoming, no doubt because in both cases the game's trying to live up to something that preexists it and is beloved, but also because of the dumb go-to Hollywood stereotypes that make up the supporting cast (spunky chick and black sidekick? check). Even Gollum gets the Pyramid Head treatment with a "Look who's here, kids!" style cameo. The unending tug-of-war between Talion and Celebrimbor, the two most single-minded yet diametrically opposed characters in Middle-earth, gets old super fast too. I can't get flavor text for a simple fucking vase without them going "Shelob can't be trusted"/"Yeah she can".

Fun sandbox by all means but the plot and the characters make my skin crawl.

Casual Shinji:

hanselthecaretaker:

Casual Shinji:
Played God of War '18 again (on Challenging obviously), and this time I made a serious attempt at beating the Valkyries. I won't get all of them because the final trail in Muspelheim is a bitch, and fuck Nilfheim entirely, but man, the ones I did fight (apart from the first two) are some terrific goddamn battles.

Also playing through Mario Galaxy again, and will probably go for Galaxy 2 after that.

Why not keep going for them? You probably have quite a bit of good gear/runics by now, or did you start a brand new playthrough sans NG+?

The last two before you can fight "the queen" are in Niflheim and Muspelheim, and like I said, fuck Niflheim. Even with the gear I got that place is a gargantuan pain in the ass, and I'm not gonna subject myself to that. And the final Muspelheim trail I think consists of killing enemies in a circular area within the allotted time, and I remember that bugging the shit out of me too. I got 6 out of 8, and I'm good with that.

I'm not gonna defend the most aggravating trial in Muspel but for what it's worth (you or whoever's reading this) that grappling move you can pull once you unearth a certain weapon is your best friend for that trial. As for Niflheim, the Ivaldi armor set coupled with a particular amulet basically nullifies the poison air so you don't have to worry about it. Alternatively maybe consider lowering the difficulty for those two fights, just so you can experience fighting Sigrun, the best boss in the game.

Fappy:

CaitSeith:

Dalisclock:

Although I went with Hannit as my MC when I played through the game I would argue that Therion is objectively the best character to lead your party from a gameplay perspective. He's the only character in the game that can unlock chests, he can steal some OP items pretty early, and is a really good support character in general.

If I were to do another full playthrough again I would pick Therion for sure. I would keep Hannit in the party most of the time still though since I like her and she is the best physical attacker in the game.

I did do a bit of research to decide which of the 8 to choose as the starter, since the first one is your main that has to stay in the party(apparently), but otherwise am playing fairly blind. I just dislike the idea of accidently making the game a lot harder because you happened to pick the wrong starting party/skills and there's no way to undo that if aside from starting over.

Now, on subsequent playthrough, I'll mix it up a bit to try something different, especially since on the 2nd go, I actually know how the game works and picking the initial party/skills is much less of a hurdle.

But yeah, it was between him and Cyrus and it was the "Be able to open all the chests without having to backtrack" that tipped the balance. Also, I'm calling it right now, getting Therion to collect the Dragonstones and bring them together is not going to lead to anything good. It either resurrects a demon, opens a hell gate of some sort or just gives the owner a bunch of evil power, because it's a JRPG.

Just started Detroit: Become Human. The story needs to be very engaging because I've become swiftly reminded of how dull and tedious QD's gameplay model is. I like the investigation and reconstruction stuff, but it's just...so....it really tries one's patience otherwise.

hanselthecaretaker:
Just started Detroit: Become Human. The story needs to be very engaging because I?ve become swiftly reminded of how dull and tedious QD?s gameplay model is. I like the investigation and reconstruction stuff, but it?s just...so....it really tries one?s patience otherwise.

I should warn; If you got any plans for Marcus that don't involve a forced romance with North, you shit outta luck son. I did my best to avoid giving any hint of attention or appeasement to her, yet the game labelled her my lover and didn't give an option not to kiss her in the most cliched fashion anyone could imagine at the end of the game, regardless of all the other times I turned her away. So much for player choice. The only way out is to kill off either her or Marcus beforehand.

Dalisclock:

Fappy:

CaitSeith:

I did do a bit of research to decide which of the 8 to choose as the starter, since the first one is your main that has to stay in the party(apparently), but otherwise am playing fairly blind. I just dislike the idea of accidently making the game a lot harder because you happened to pick the wrong starting party/skills and there's no way to undo that if aside from starting over.

Now, on subsequent playthrough, I'll mix it up a bit to try something different, especially since on the 2nd go, I actually know how the game works and picking the initial party/skills is much less of a hurdle.

But yeah, it was between him and Cyrus and it was the "Be able to open all the chests without having to backtrack" that tipped the balance. Also, I'm calling it right now, getting Therion to collect the Dragonstones and bring them together is not going to lead to anything good. It either resurrects a demon, opens a hell gate of some sort or just gives the owner a bunch of evil power, because it's a JRPG.

Any of the 8 characters are perfectly viable to have stuck in your party as the lead so it really just comes down to who you like the best and/or who is the most useful to always have around. Therion fits that bill but Cyrus is a good choice too. As long as you're okay with save scumming the rogue version of all the path actions are technically more useful for a majority of the game. Without save scumming they are eh.

Some people will play through the entire game with just a party of 4, but I'd advise trying to keep all 8 relatively leveled as you go since it adds variety and you will need all 8 decked out for the endgame anyway.

Fappy:

CaitSeith:

I find interesting how different the stakes and motivations are for each character's starting chapter and storyline.

I'm about to start Cyrus' second chapter, and I have to say that the change in the battle music was unexpected but welcomed.

I'm playing A Hat in Time. Its fun but I'm on a level where I have to lead a penguin parade and its kicking my ass!

Fappy:

Dalisclock:

Fappy:

Any of the 8 characters are perfectly viable to have stuck in your party as the lead so it really just comes down to who you like the best and/or who is the most useful to always have around. Therion fits that bill but Cyrus is a good choice too. As long as you're okay with save scumming the rogue version of all the path actions are technically more useful for a majority of the game. Without save scumming they are eh.

Some people will play through the entire game with just a party of 4, but I'd advise trying to keep all 8 relatively leveled as you go since it adds variety and you will need all 8 decked out for the endgame anyway.

I've heard as much and apparently each characters origin story is more or less tailored for them, which I've kept in mind for their starter dungeon when it comes to finding the enemy weaknesses. Cyruses skill of finding them more easily is nice and the fact he's a black mage doesn't hurt either.

I've heard from mutiple sources it pay to keep the entire party leveled since that does matter a lot when you reach the endgame. I imagine the game does something like FF6 where you need to split the group up in the final dungeon or something and having underleveled people is an invitation to having a bad time. It's a shame that the game doesn't have leaked experience.

Having played about 6 hours so far and gotten the first 4 members of the party(Therion, Cyrus, Ophelia and H'aanit), I'm going to come out and say that this is basically an oldschool SNES final fantasy game that's gotten a graphical upgrade(mostly to pseudo-3D) and some mechanical changes(Break/Boost). And as someone who grew up on those games and honestly kinda miss them, I'm totally cool with that. I was lead to expect that's what this game would be and so far I'm not disappointed.

I'm just kinda surprised they didn't just call it a non-numbered Final Fantasy game, like "4 heros of light" or any of the other ones are. I mean, yeah, it doesn't have chocobos or a Cid(that I've seen) but aside from that, it is an oldschool final fantasy.

Dalisclock:
-Snip-

Glad you're enjoying it, especially because the Chapter 1 stretch of the game is honestly the worst part of it by far. I like the stories but doing the intro routine 8 times (especially being stuck at low levels that long) can put people off to the game. That said, when you really get into the meat of the combat mechanics and progression system the game gets addicting as hell. The mid and end game combat is super fun and one of the best designed systems of any JRPG I have played.

Currently playing Zanki zero. It is a First person, dungeon crawling, action survival Jrpg.

It's pretty good, and i didn't even expect it to be if i'm being honest.

The themes are the game include , but are not limited to.

- Murder
- Suicide
- Child abuse
- Rape
- Incest
- Sexual abuse
- Adultery

And i'm only on chapter 5.

I throughly enjoyed Labyrinth of refrain last year, and this is definitely going to be my Runner up for GoTY this year ( After Sekiro).

Lufia Erim:
Currently playing Zanki zero. It is a First person, dungeon crawling, action survival Jrpg.

It's pretty good, and i didn't even expect it to be if i'm being honest.

The themes are the game include , but are not limited to.

- Murder
- Suicide
- Child abuse
- Rape
- Incest
- Sexual abuse
- Adultery

And i'm only on chapter 5.

I throughly enjoyed Labyrinth of refrain last year, and this is definitely going to be my Runner up for GoTY this year ( After Sekiro).

I'm curious about a thing: how do the bladder mechanics work?

Trying to finish Fire Emblem 3 Houses, but I am not having fun.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 . . . 42 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here