What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 . . . 42 NEXT

CritialGaming:
Trying to finish Fire Emblem 3 Houses, but I am not having fun.

I heard a saying a long time ago: Life is too short to finish games one doesn't enjoy. Unless one is a reviewer, a critic, a Youtuber or a pro-player of some sort of capacity; wasting so much time playing like that is a disservice to oneself (at best it makes one appreciate more the games that one enjoy).

CaitSeith:

CritialGaming:

I heard a saying a long time ago: Life is too short to finish games one doesn't enjoy. Unless one is a reviewer, a critic, a Youtuber or a pro-player of some sort of capacity; wasting so much time playing like that is a disservice to oneself (at best it makes one appreciate more the games that one enjoy).

But not playing through a game you paid for is like burning your money. These days you can't just return shit anymore. I would have if I could though. So either I play through it, or I might as well have set fire to 60 dollars

CritialGaming:

CaitSeith:

CritialGaming:

But not playing through a game you paid for is like burning your money. These days you can't just return shit anymore. I would have if I could though. So either I play through it, or I might as well have set fire to 60 dollars

I can appreciate not wanting to lose out on the money you spent, but if you aren't enjoying it and keep playing to justify the money you spent, you're throwing away time you could be spending playing something you actually enjoy.

It kinda comes down to what's more valuable to you, your money or your time?

CaitSeith:

Lufia Erim:
Currently playing Zanki zero. It is a First person, dungeon crawling, action survival Jrpg.

It's pretty good, and i didn't even expect it to be if i'm being honest.

The themes are the game include , but are not limited to.

- Murder
- Suicide
- Child abuse
- Rape
- Incest
- Sexual abuse
- Adultery

And i'm only on chapter 5.

I throughly enjoyed Labyrinth of refrain last year, and this is definitely going to be my Runner up for GoTY this year ( After Sekiro).

I'm curious about a thing: how do the bladder mechanics work?

Okay so, like real life, overtime you need you use the bathroom. It's a little gauge that fills up. When you eat ( or drink) it also fills up. So the goal is, to go to the bathroom before soiling yourself.

If you do soil yourself, you character will be affected by a " Stench" debuff. Stench pretty much makes enemies more aware of your presence as well as cause stress to your party members. Stress is another debuff.

Using a dirty bathroom will also increase your stress.

It's pretty much there as a complement to the hunger ( stamina) gauge. To prevent you from simply making a whole bunch of food and eating whenever you get too hunger like in most survival games.

Dalisclock:

CritialGaming:

CaitSeith:

I can appreciate not wanting to lose out on the money you spent, but if you aren't enjoying it and keep playing to justify the money you spent, you're throwing away time you could be spending playing something you actually enjoy.

It kinda comes down to what's more valuable to you, your money or your time?

Well technically the money's already long gone, so there's really no point in losing out on both commodities. Though perhaps forcing oneself to play through something not fun would serve as punishment enough to be more prudent about future purchases.

I'm playing The World Ends With You: Final Remix for the Switch with the original soundtrack (I never played it before, so I wanted to hear the original music first). I didn't expect to require to use the touch-screen (or alternatively the Joy-con as motion controller, which is how I'm currently playing it). I gotta say, the music is really good (I could listen Calling all the day).

Just finished Middle-earth: Shadow of War.
Apparently they've patched the ending since the release. So the story proper ends quite abruptly and you're dropped off in the game's version of post-game fuckabouts, an epilogue called Shadow Wars in which you defend four fortresses over and over and over against increasingly high-level armies, requiring constant upgrading and recycling of your own army (via in-game currency) to keep up... and here enter microtransactions, since Mirian is hard to come by but easy to just pay real cash. Anyway, apparently Warner dropped off the whole scheme last year so now the Shadow Wars last 5 sieges instead of 20, and you can recycle loot for in-game currency. Overall still an anticlimactic ending to a game that felt like was only getting started towards the end, but good that they took down the microtransaction bullshit and re-did the grindy ending into something much more palatable.

Kill La Kill IF - I finished both story modes for Satsuki and Ryuko. Both campaigns equal a total of 2.5-3hours depending on skill level and difficulty settings. What sucks is if you don't care about story, you have to unlock other modes or characters by doing story mode. Luckily, the story modes are short and you can skip cut-scenes if you wish. I heard the online has really good connection, so I will try that out later. Write now, I am experimenting with different characters in the free battle, survival, and COVERS mode. They're nice bonuses when not going online. Two more characters are coming as free dlc. My favorites to use are Gamagori, Ryuko, and Satsuki.

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 - I will add an edit later as I just got this.

I'm being weird... gone back to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution... again... -.-

Finished Wolfenstein Youngblood

I would say its a decent gameplay wise for being a budget spin off title. Not a whole lot of meat to it, and definitely some of the ideas thrown in work poorly (the armour system on enemies being a particular bit of note, as even if you switch to the correct guns to strip armour, only a handful seem to function properly). Also the sewer/underground sections are atrocious with the darkness mechanic that in no way applies to the enemies, and requires toggling a flashlight (which is only present on two weapons that I could tell, both of which fail to work on armour properly as that goes).

Speaking of co-op games, I got my co-op buddy to pick up Outward. And that game definitely rounds out some of its rougher edges played as such. Definitely playable solo, but some of the experience goes smoother with two hands on deck. Amusingly my buddy also ran into the consequences of choice pretty severely, as he brushed off a quest to go buy magic in another town, and returned to find the whole town burned down by the bandit warlord he'd ignored dealing with, including his house in that town and stash of goods.

Playing the HD remaster/remake of Resident Evil on PS4. I miss the cheesiness of the original game. This one's the better game obviously (looks gorgeous too) but I don't know, what even is the point of RE if it's not campy. The clash between dead-serious plot, utilitarian dialogue and dense-as-fuck characters is not a good look.

I recently got an emulator and loaded up Dungeons and Dragons - Warriors of the Eternal Sun from (1992) the Sega Mega drive days. Played it right the way through ... was and still is a great game ...
https://megadrive-emulator.com/rpg/dungeons-and-dragons-warriors-of-the-eternal-sun

Just finished Detroit: Become Human.

It kept me pretty engaged considering the gameplay style is often sleep-inducing, and I would have to say each character's narrative thread was impactful if unfulfilling for my play through. One thing I don't like about these choice-based games is there is usually a "good" way to play which often doesn't coincide with how the player would want things to turn out. It toes the line pretty well until the end,

The game held itself together well until the home stretch where it fell flat on its face, at least for me. It didn't matter that I got a Trophy for winning all the fights, or taking the selfless option in nearly every chapter. I could go back and pick alternate paths but I really didn't care for those options, and I fell asleep several times as it is just getting through this play through, so I'll probably just watch the differences on YouTube.

Now back to Dark Souls 3, which may be my favorite SoulsBorne so far and Hitman 2016, which is slowly revealing itself to be a smorgasbord of wacky mayhem.

REmaster: Finished Jill on Normal and Chris on Easy.
If I'm going for Platinum I think I'll do Jill on Real Survivor (>3 hour speedrun) and Chris on Very Easy (no saving, knife only and invisible enemies). Going for the bad ending in both cases. That should cover everything I think.

RE4: Finished Assignment Ada. Now I'm just missing the Professional run trophy. Wish the game had a Platinum.

Started The Outer Wilds and I'm jumping back and forth between that and Octopath Traveler, since Octopath can take like 30 minutes or more to take down a boss(so you really need to have some time budgeted before even attempting a boss fight) whereas you can finish a loop of Outer Wilds in about 20 minutes.

Outer Wilds is wierd and quirky and I'm kinda digging it, but it's definitely a bit intimidating where to go next on the next loop. I've been sticking to one location per loop and trying to explore it to the fullest before deciding if I want to come back on the next one.

Octopath I'm working through the Chapter 2 for each character but man those boss battles get brutal. I'm stuck on Omar(Tressas Chapter 2 boss) right now. I've also gotten a couple of the sub jobs and experimenting with the best combos(I have Cleric, Scholar and Thief so far).

Playing the new Prey from a few years ago.

I originally thought it was like System Shock 2. Then I realised that it actually lets you play different playstyles and not be locked out because you didn't know the right choice of mods. It's not like system Shock at all, it more like Deus Ex in Spaaaace. People getting memory wiped added an extra layer of intrigue as it lets you get away with crimes, even if there are witnesses. There are plenty of side quests that still feel tied into the story. One quest is about a head of department not wanting to wasted money fabricating items that are expensive and didn't automatically renew the license for this precious product. The corporate stingyness is very relatable. It has a limited number of actual weapons and makes you rely on tools to help you fight. The aliens evolve in response to you as a threat. There are so many upgrades, so many styles of play and the game lets you do it. The spaces are all interlocking, with short cuts that need to be unlocked and many hidey hole to explore. It feels like the first half of Dark Souls, world design wise.

Really good game. 9/10

I'm just now getting into GTA 5. I've owned it for over a year, but I'm one of those guys that won't play something without finishing any prior games in the series... and IV just never grabbed me. The tone is so dour, the colors so drab, the gameplay and driving is so slow... it just isn't a good game. Everybody always harped on Roman calling to go bowling all the time... frankly the social minigames were the most fun you could have in the game. At least it was a break from "dress in brown, go there, shoot those guys." There just wasn't any of the kind of variety in gameplay that there was in SA. But I have finally recently managed to slog through it. And so far 5 has learned its lesson and learned why Saints Row went from knock-off to far superior experience.

Dark Souls Remastered.

Years this game has haunted me because of me truy sucking at it but I'm committing myself to it and honestly I'm doing better than I ever have before. I mean sure I've only just gotten into Sen's Fortress and I'm like 15 hours in in terms of playtime but for me that's good progress considering my very first attempt at this game I couldn't kill the Taurus Demon and on subsequent runs the furthest I've ever been able to get to was Blighttown.

Kyrian007:
I'm just now getting into GTA 5. I've owned it for over a year, but I'm one of those guys that won't play something without finishing any prior games in the series... and IV just never grabbed me. The tone is so dour, the colors so drab, the gameplay and driving is so slow... it just isn't a good game. Everybody always harped on Roman calling to go bowling all the time... frankly the social minigames were the most fun you could have in the game. At least it was a break from "dress in brown, go there, shoot those guys." There just wasn't any of the kind of variety in gameplay that there was in SA. But I have finally recently managed to slog through it. And so far 5 has learned its lesson and learned why Saints Row went from knock-off to far superior experience.

I personally played and loved every GTA from III to V, but I understand why some might find IV to be the most tonally grating in that it is generally dark and dreary (true to the stereotype of New York City it's inspired by) and doesn't directly lend itself to the crude levity one expects from GTA; it's more "cynical and world-weary" than "funny and carefree." I Feel GTA V got the mix right; here's hoping you enjoy your time with it.

ReservoirAngel:
Dark Souls Remastered.

Years this game has haunted me because of me truy sucking at it but I'm committing myself to it and honestly I'm doing better than I ever have before. I mean sure I've only just gotten into Sen's Fortress and I'm like 15 hours in in terms of playtime but for me that's good progress considering my very first attempt at this game I couldn't kill the Taurus Demon and on subsequent runs the furthest I've ever been able to get to was Blighttown.

Might I ask if you're using guides or are you shooting for a blind playthrough? I ask because if it's the latter and you've managed to reach Sen's, you're doing great; don't quit again! Fight through and then get yourself guides for another playthrough (not NG+, a new character.) You'll be amazed how much easier (and fun) it can with a better understanding of how things can work. I quit the game for 3 years because it routinely kicked my butt and I hated it; now, after completing it countless times using different builds, different weapons, different armors, NO armor, etc., it's one of my favorite games of all time.

ReservoirAngel:
Dark Souls Remastered.

Good luck with Ornstein and Smough, your next target. If you can beat them, you can beat Dark Souls

Recently picked up Stay on sale the other day. An interesting little title. The plot revolves around Quinn (a man who was abducted in the middle of the night and wakes up in a dark room with only a computer connected to an Internet chat room for company) and you (the other member of the chat room). You must communicate with Quinn, helping to keep him calm (Quinn has four different mental state meters, all of which must be kept as low as possible) and attempting to get him out of his imprisonment. The calmer he is and more well disposed to you, the more likely he will follow your advice. The story is a branching one, with choices and decisions leading you (or more accurately Quinn) down different routes. One interesting mechanic is that the game keeps track of how long you are 'online' (playing) and 'offline' (not playing). So for example I am currently at work at the moment, and it'll be a good few hours til I get home to resume helping Quinn. When I do, the game will log my 10 hour absence as a 10 hour 'offline' period, and Quinn will react to my absence as if I, his only help in his nightmare scenario, had simply logged out of the chat room and effectively left him hanging in a hostage situation for that amount of time.

Bottom line? 'Stay' cost less than a tenner, so is well worth the look.

Rocket League. Whole lot of own goals going on.

trunkage:

ReservoirAngel:
Dark Souls Remastered.

Good luck with Ornstein and Smough, your next target. If you can beat them, you can beat Dark Souls

Yeah it's a thing of beauty when someone's first Souls game first "clicks". As far as O&S though, I never had a problem with them in terms of being significantly more difficult than most other bosses. I always used the pillars to my advantage which made the fight very manageable, and made sure to have enough Estus and buffs if needed. By the time you get to them, it's about not succumbing to intimidation more than anything, and mastering the camera.

trunkage:

ReservoirAngel:
Dark Souls Remastered.

That is why O&S is my favorite boss of the series. Any boss that provides that kind of challenge is a well designed boss IMO. Matador in Nocturne serves a similar role in that game. If you can beat him you can beat the game.

Fappy:

trunkage:

ReservoirAngel:
Dark Souls Remastered.

That is why O&S is my favorite boss of the series. Any boss that provides that kind of challenge is a well designed boss IMO. Matador in Nocturne serves a similar role in that game. If you can beat him you can beat the game.

Depends on what kind of build you have. I remember taking them on as a dedicated mage and they were pretty easy to deal with.

Casual Shinji:

Fappy:

trunkage:

Depends on what kind of build you have. I remember taking them on as a dedicated mage and they were pretty easy to deal with.

Yeah, Magic pretty much breaks that fight, but if it weren't for the pillars, a pure mage would likely struggle since most cast times beyond the starting Soul Arrow clock in at about an hour and a half (/hyperbole;) Ornstein would eat you alive in an open field.

So, I'm playing Remnant From the Ashes on PS4 Pro.

Before I talk about it, there are a few things you should know. I love Loot. I like to build up characters. I can overlook jank if I'm having enough fun.

... Ok, so I really enjoy Remnant From the Ashes. Like, even more than I hoped.

It's a blend of two games I didn't know I wanted. Dark Souls meets Left4Dead.

I have to admit the one failing; it's easier than Dark Souls. By a lot. You get swarms of faster enemies and/or teleporting enemies than you would in a Soulsbourne game, so it isn't that combat is necessarily easier since you can get overwhelmed by sheer numbers if you make a turn and aren't ready for a battle. It should also be mention that not only does the overarching world have rogue-lite elements, but enemy placement does too. So you don't know what you're going to get when you go through a stage again.

No, it's easier because you don't lose your scrap or anything if you die. While admittedly sometimes it's vexing to lose all of your progress via two mistakes and not cashing out on the souls you had before you died a second time and they were wiped... there's still no real penalty for losing. Other than Enemies reset.

But the gun play is very solid. You have swappable mods that act like your spells that you place on guns. You can craft Guns, you can go through a mission with two more of your friends.

I simply love it. I realize it's also janky at parts like finicky controls (died a few times because the game thought I wanted to roll instead of vaulting and got swarmed), but this is a game tailor-made for me.

Casual Shinji:

Fappy:

trunkage:

Pyromancy makes short work of them too.

That said, the magic balance in DS is kind of all over the place anyway. Pyromancy and Sorcery builds make most of the bosses fairly easy.

hanselthecaretaker:

trunkage:

ReservoirAngel:
Dark Souls Remastered.

Yeah it?s a thing of beauty when someone?s first Souls game first ?clicks?. As far as O&S though, I never had a problem with them in terms of being significantly more difficult than most other bosses. I always used the pillars to my advantage which made the fight very manageable, and made sure to have enough Estus and buffs if needed. By the time you get to them, it?s about not succumbing to intimidation more than anything, and mastering the camera.

I went into Dark Souls without a walkthrough. Had no idea you could upgrade estus. Or weapons and armour. Or knew what hallowing was and how to fix it. I didn't even know that you could get a buddy to help you with fights. O&S was a terrible experience. It made me read a walkthrough and that's what unlocked Dark Souls for me.

currently playing Darkest Dungeon. Played back during the early access, and then forgot about it. Got a bug to try it out now that it's complete, and I've been enjoying it.

Also dabbling with Watchdogs 2, which is fun, but feels too....Saints Row meets GTA 5 for my tastes sometimes. The Saints Row part I enjoy, the GTA aspect, not so much.

Let's see, what else...

Loaded up, but haven't actually started Total War: Warhammer.

Me and the wifey are about to complete all the quests for Final Fantasy 15.

I think that's about it.

Xprimentyl:
Might I ask if you?re using guides or are you shooting for a blind playthrough? I ask because if it?s the latter and you?ve managed to reach Sen?s, you?re doing great; don?t quit again! Fight through and then get yourself guides for another playthrough (not NG+, a new character.) You?ll be amazed how much easier (and fun) it can with a better understanding of how things can work. I quit the game for 3 years because it routinely kicked my butt and I hated it; now, after completing it countless times using different builds, different weapons, different armors, NO armor, etc., it?s one of my favorite games of all time.

My brother has played these games like 500 times so I've absorbed some knowledge through some kind of osmosis from him and some stuff from previous runs that I only figured out too late but have been able to use this time around, but mostly I've just been muddling through from vague memory at best as lots of it I only barely remember and from Blighttown onwards has been a near-total mystery.

Only thing I looked up, admittedly, was the route to the Great Scythe in the Catacombs because I was obsessed with using that as my primary weapon. Took me a fair few attempts to suicide-run my way though to get it.

ObsidianJones:
So, I'm playing Remnant From the Ashes on PS4 Pro.

Before I talk about it, there are a few things you should know. I love Loot. I like to build up characters. I can overlook jank if I'm having enough fun.

... Ok, so I really enjoy Remnant From the Ashes. Like, even more than I hoped.

It's a blend of two games I didn't know I wanted. Dark Souls meets Left4Dead.

I have to admit the one failing; it's easier than Dark Souls. By a lot. You get swarms of faster enemies and/or teleporting enemies than you would in a Soulsbourne game, so it isn't that combat is necessarily easier since you can get overwhelmed by sheer numbers if you make a turn and aren't ready for a battle. It should also be mention that not only does the overarching world have rogue-lite elements, but enemy placement does too. So you don't know what you're going to get when you go through a stage again.

No, it's easier because you don't lose your scrap or anything if you die. While admittedly sometimes it's vexing to lose all of your progress via two mistakes and not cashing out on the souls you had before you died a second time and they were wiped... there's still no real penalty for losing. Other than Enemies reset.

But the gun play is very solid. You have swappable mods that act like your spells that you place on guns. You can craft Guns, you can go through a mission with two more of your friends.

I simply love it. I realize it's also janky at parts like finicky controls (died a few times because the game thought I wanted to roll instead of vaulting and got swarmed), but this is a game tailor-made for me.

My main criticism thus far (also on PS4 pro) has been the absence of a lock on, which has combined with the somewhat loose melee to put in me a few bad spots at times.

And there seems to be a lot of dead space in the overworld city section I was traversing before I got to the Hidden Grotto, which seems to be more of a dungeon proper.

Im just playing Metro Exodus and... I don't really like it.

Dont get me wrong, graphically, and gunplay wise, it is easily the best in the series, but I feel like it has just lost its identity. I know the game was definitely made with love from the team at 4A, and there are certainly some aspects that are improved over 2033 and LL, but as a whole, it just feels a lot less unique.

I feel like the game falls into the same pitfall that a lot of open world games fall into. Bigger does not mean better. The space between objective A and Objective B is simply not interesting enough, and only serves to pad out the length of the game.

I loved Metro because of the unique setting of the tunnels, with the frozen wasteland above with unbreathable air. Stripping that aspect out makes it feel like a setting that I have already played in, from one of many other franchises. I mean, if someone told me a few years ago that in Metro 3, I would be driving around a desert in a van, I'd call them a liar.

Little things have been removed too, like using bullets as currency. Being an open world game it has obviously been replaced with a crafting system that I care very little for.

The story hook is also bollocks.

Honestly, im disappointed, but I know it isn't a bad game - just not something that I am crazy for.

If I were to make a Metro game that also had to be open world, I would have made a metro map, and an overground map. Have the metro full of bandits, with some particularly spooky tunnels full of anomolies/mutants/spiderbugs, and then have an overground map with the more dangerous creatures like demons and librarians, but have the more valuable loot - obviously you also have to wear the gas mask, too.

That way, you get the open world bollocks, but you don't lose the game's identity along the way.

I'm playing Red Faction.

"Meh."

That's my thoughts on it so far.

Warhammer 40k Eternal Crusade on pc. It has been referred to as lacking or a dumpster fire as I heard one person put it. But I find it good enough to keep me happy for short intervals whenever I feel the itch.

Edit: I failed to mention that I got it for free on Steam... not sure, it may still be available as such. Worth a look.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 . . . 42 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here