What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 NEXT

stroopwafel:
Catherine Full Body. The incredibly fun demonic puzzle driven relationship simulator returns! Whoever wrote this game is genius. Also really enjoying Control. The environmental destruction and particle effects are crazy. Everything breaks, shatters, explodes in real time amidst hectic shoot outs that have you lodge the entire office furniture at your enemies. Game is a technical marvel. Though it seems a bit too demanding for current consoles at times. Almost like the game is a gen too early. Kinda remind me of 16-bit games that would often do the same with too much on screen. Great atmosphere and interesting theme as well. Also playing FF8 remaster for the first time in 20 years. Enjoying the story more now that I am older for whatever reason. That and the nostalgia is a great mix. Surprised about the sublime quality of the remaster especially the update on the character models.

In some ways FF8 was my favorite of the ones I've played which are 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and about half of 5 and most of X. Barely touched 12 but would like to try that out if I ever get back into the series. If I ever have that much spare time again with a smaller backlog I'd want to catch up with it and also finish the earliest games.

Anyways I really grew to like the junction system even though it took three tries to really understand how to use it properly and not hit a dead end.

hanselthecaretaker:

In some ways FF8 was my favorite of the ones I?ve played which are 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and about half of 5 and most of X. Barely touched 12 but would like to try that out if I ever get back into the series. If I ever have that much spare time again with a smaller backlog I?d want to catch up with it and also finish the earliest games.

Anyways I really grew to like the junction system even though it took three tries to really understand how to use it properly and not hit a dead end.

FF7 is my most favorite it's probably the most hyped I've ever been for a game besides RE4 and Bloodborne. So when FF8 came out, despite enjoying it, I was still disappointed it wasn't more FF7. It's also a kind of story that I now appreciate and understand more 20 years later. FF is definitely a series that have always taken bold and creative risks that makes them espescially worth revisiting I think. So I'm glad they made this remaster.

I enjoyed FF12 a lot, even if the story is more about world building than the characters. It's another fresh take I really liked. The combat is a lot of fun as well that people compare to an MMO but idk as I don't play those games. :p Probably will play through Zodiac Age but want to replay FF9 first after 8.

Now that I've finished Grand Theft Auto V I've got to say... I'm extremely disappointed. What of it there was, was mechanically a huge improvement over VI. But the huge lack of content over what GTA: VC was... not to mention SA's content AND map being superior. I can't help but be massively let down. So eager to put that great gameplay into a better light I even ventured into Online.

That was a mistake.

After the quick tutorial I got an auto-invite to a mission that I accepted. I was matched with 4 players, all over 50 levels higher than me, in a job to hijack a truck. I got in my car to drive to the mission location. 2 of my co-conspirators did the same. The remaining crew member bunnyhopped over to his car, slamming into it and falling over before getting in. That person (whom I will now refer to as Moron) then proceeded to trying to ram all of us off the road and managing to severely damage his own vehicle to the point where we all outpaced him and had to wait several minutes for him to limp to the ambush. Willing to sacrifice my car for a barricade, I parked across the road. When Moron arrived he promptly rammed my car out of position, got out of his car, bunnyhopped up a hill, drew a gatling laser gun, and destroyed both of our vehicles. Then seeing the MISSION CRITICAL truck... opened fire and destroyed that as well, failing the mission. When the game resumed, he drew a rocket launcher and suicided killing the entire team. I'm glad I had voice OFF, as I'm sure it would have contained nothing but a constant stream of high-pitched adolescent squeaks compensating for an obvious lack of maturity with copious slurs and insults.

I choose to judge every online game's community by its biggest, most ignorant, asshole. I find that is fair. So that is EVERY GTA V online player, and none are worth playing along side. I tried soloing for a while longer just ignoring everyone else, but there isn't much content for soloists. So GTA V Online isn't worth it, and as a PC player I didn't even pay extra for it. So it is worth nothing, no dollar amount, zero value.

Kyrian007:
*Fairly typical GTA:O experience*

I have had so many bad experiences with public lobby GTA:O games I can't even begin to recount them. However, if you are keen on trying the multiplayer aspects without the howling ape-children that make up the vast majority of online gaming I can offer a couple of pointers:

1) When entering GTA:O from the singleplayer game, select 'Invite Only Session'. 'Solo' sessions have a huge chunk of content cut from them due to the adversarial nature of many of the free-roam missions, but 'Invite Only' and 'Friends Only' sessions allow you and your friends to play to your heart's content without the irritation of randomers (and yes, you can be in an 'Invite Only' or 'Friend Only' session on your own).

2) Go to your settings and change the default setting of your matchmaking preferences from 'Open' to 'Closed'. This will stop randomers appearing in your race/mission/deathmatch/versus lobbies as you're trying to invite your actual friends to said matches.

My friends and I have been playing GTA:O like this pretty much since release. My character is currently level 580-something with over 1600 hours played, and my time logged into public lobbies is still <12 hours. It can be great fun with friends, but solo or with randomers it's a real trial.

Grouchy Imp:

Kyrian007:

I have had so many bad experiences with public lobby GTA:O games I can't even begin to recount them. However, if you are keen on trying the multiplayer aspects without the howling ape-children that make up the vast majority of online gaming I can offer a couple of pointers:

1) When entering GTA:O from the singleplayer game, select 'Invite Only Session'. 'Solo' sessions have a huge chunk of content cut from them due to the adversarial nature of many of the free-roam missions, but 'Invite Only' and 'Friends Only' sessions allow you and your friends to play to your heart's content without the irritation of randomers (and yes, you can be in an 'Invite Only' or 'Friend Only' session on your own).

2) Go to your settings and change the default setting of your matchmaking preferences from 'Open' to 'Closed'. This will stop randomers appearing in your race/mission/deathmatch/versus lobbies as you're trying to invite your actual friends to said matches.

My friends and I have been playing GTA:O like this pretty much since release. My character is currently level 580-something with over 1600 hours played, and my time logged into public lobbies is still <12 hours. It can be great fun with friends, but solo or with randomers it's a real trial.

Won't work (unless they add crossplay) as my friends and some family members that have GTA 5 are all on console.

Kyrian007:

Grouchy Imp:

Kyrian007:

Won't work (unless they add crossplay) as my friends and some family members that have GTA 5 are all on console.

Ah, bugger. Sorry dude.

I hope Red Dead Online doesn't turn into another GTA type of experience. It's getting a big update soon and was thinking of trying it out. Haven't since the beta, but I've heard good things about it now that it's been out a while, and apparently there's still quite a bit of civility left regarding player interactions.

Kyrian007:
Now that I've finished Grand Theft Auto V I've got to say... I'm extremely disappointed. What of it there was, was mechanically a huge improvement over VI. But the huge lack of content over what GTA: VC was... not to mention SA's content AND map being superior. I can't help but be massively let down.

Wow, sorry it didn't live up to your expectations. I've not played GTA VC or SA in ages, so can't recall much of the finer details, but I do know I feel each iteration of the franchise has been a noticeable and marked improvement over the ones before it. Not sure what content you feel GTA V lacked, but the stuff like working out in GTA SA or getting phone calls from needy friends to partake in hacky minigames in IV were more distraction than content I enjoyed. Then again, I'm one of those who enjoys GTA largely for the clever satirical take on society and the tiny details that make the world feel varied, "real" and thusly that much more fun to fuck around in.

So eager to put that great gameplay into a better light I even ventured into Online.

That was a mistake.

*typical online fuckery*

I choose to judge every online game's community by its biggest, most ignorant, asshole. I find that is fair. So that is EVERY GTA V online player, and none are worth playing along side. I tried soloing for a while longer just ignoring everyone else, but there isn't much content for soloists. So GTA V Online isn't worth it, and as a PC player I didn't even pay extra for it. So it is worth nothing, no dollar amount, zero value.

Again, I'll take the unpopular opinion and say I actually liked GTA V Online; it was the last "multiplayer" game I really enjoyed. Granted, I normally paired up with friends and just roamed the sandbox, rarely delving into the structured events, preferring to rob stores, race each other or just have shootouts with other players in free roam. I learned years ago that it's a general rule that online community with random players is basically an inhospitable environment and is best not ventured into alone or with high expectations. GTA, a game for which "fuckery" is basically a core gameplay mechanic, I never let disappoint me.

Monster Hutner Iceborne.

Great so far. Other then the story line missions still have the annoying thing where you have to go wander in, trigger the cutscene, then go back and start the mission again as a hunt to get a team in.

That and the first fight is against one of the annoying burrowing fish type monsters, with little indication to how to get it until you finish that fight and go get the research level on it. With no ability to eat beforehand, and somewhat minimal capability to handle the cold weather effects (also my Iceproof mantle decided to bug out and not let me put it back on when it came off cooldown in that particular fight)

Xprimentyl:
Wow, sorry it didn?t live up to your expectations. I?ve not played GTA VC or SA in ages, so can?t recall much of the finer details, but I do know I feel each iteration of the franchise has been a noticeable and marked improvement over the ones before it. Not sure what content you feel GTA V lacked, but the stuff like working out in GTA SA or getting phone calls from needy friends to partake in hacky minigames in IV were more distraction than content I enjoyed. Then again, I?m one of those who enjoys GTA largely for the clever satirical take on society and the tiny details that make the world feel varied, ?real? and thusly that much more fun to fuck around in.

It is a really strange kind of disappointment, because I had fun playing the game. The letdown was mainly in value. Between missions, side missions, and challenges and side jobs... there was always something to do in SA and VC... GTA 3 for that matter as well. But for a majority of V there wasn't anything to do other than the next main story mission. And for the most part, story missions don't PAY. I'll admit that one of the problems with 3, VC, and SA was that money became worthless. You had so much by the time you hit about 1/3 of the way through the game you wouldn't ever spend it all in the rest of the game. IV corrected that somewhat, but the economy was still off. V has gone the other way, you don't have that "ridiculous" amount of money that allows you to do something fun and indulgent (like steal the GTA version of the Smart fourtwo and bling it up with the most expensive upgrades.) Maybe after the endgame, but even then you don't get enough to buy the most expensive of the available properties. And all of the properties are pointless to have as you won't play long enough to get a ROI on anything other than the sonar dock and maybe the weed shop.

To get back to on topic, I may still play around with GTA V a bit just to space out this week before Borderlands 3 comes out. I wasn't going to buy BL 3 until a first price drop... but so many people whined so much about the Epic exclusivity I've decided I have to throw up the middle finger to them with my wallet and get it a day after launch.

Took a break from Red Dead Redemption 2 and fired up Sekiro again after a long break. Kinda refreshing going to something that's almost purely gameplay-centric. I'm only to the part of the big armored warrior dude on the covered bridge and only tried him once, but the level design in getting to him is some of FROM's best. The verticality really adds something and makes the stuff in between fights more interesting.

I like the nature of SoulsBorne because it fits your character, but in Sekiro that really wouldn't have cut it. Same with if its combat system was straight up hack n slash or stamina-bound. The posture system is like a tug of war that demands discipline, and I'd really love for their next game to somehow combine it with the SoulsBorne stuff. The next big advancement would be if damage systems were more dynamic so that attacks corresponded more organically with the material they come into contact with, including body parts.

This is probably my biggest "want" out of next generation, since it would add so much more strategy vs just focusing on a depleting health bar as the only visual feedback. It's also what makes like RDR2 is more appealing than more melee based games in a way, because the feedback from gunshot wounds is pretty damn impressive (also that shotgun reload animation with post processing is sublime). Not quite "there" yet technically, but definitely getting better. Animation work is also exceptional.

Still in the middle of the Gears franchise, and just started Gears 4.

Having completeled Judgement, the story was comepletely throw-away, and the best part of the game was the "Aftermath" campaign that took place during Gears 3, and ditched the whole scoring structure. Gears Judgement was at its best when it wasn't being Gears Judgement, essentially.

The Gears 1 remaster really wasn't what I wanted. Gears 1 feels really dated compared to the rest of the games. Sure, the basics are there. You can take cover, you have a squad, and your gun has a chainsaw on it, but it just feels so empty vs the rest of the franchise due to the lack of variety in terms of weapons and enemy types. I was (for some reason) led to believe that Gears Ultimate was a Gears 1 remake of sorts, bought into the 8th generation of consoles with more modernised mechanics, but it really was just a prettier Gears 1, which I guess some people wanted.

Going from Gears 1 to Gears 2 was pretty incredible in terms of how far the game has come, mechanically, though it is quite subtle in the way it is presented. It was an enjoyable experience with a great story, even if it did go a bit bonkers here and there, like the finale where you ride what is essentially a dinosaur with machine guns. A great game.

Gears 3 improved on what Gears 2 had, but again, in quite subtle ways. I must say that the Lambent faction of enemies weren't exactly the game's strongest suit, as it really discouraged any kind of close combat, with their bodies exploding on death, but it packed in some great scense, with some exciting levels, and was ultimately a lot of fun - even if this one was VERY grey/brown.

Gears 4 mechanically is a great game, but I cannot say that I am sold on the story. So far it feels a lot more personal, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but I am just about to start Act 4 of 6, and nothing has really happened. Hopefully it picks up, but gameplay wise it is EASILY the best in the franchise so far.

Still playing Mercenaries on RE4. Just missing 2 5-star rankings: the castle and waterworld stages with Leon. He's a right pain in this mode, let me tell you. Shitty loadout - no grenades, no special weapon - with practically no stopping power and no special attack with which to cheese the stage bosses. Salvador keeps killing me in waterworld, and I waste too much time on the Garrador in the castle stage.

Just started Gears 5 last night and holy shit is it good. I was lukewarm on Gears 4, but Gears 5 plays amazing, looks stunning on my PC and just feels like Microsoft is deadly serious about competing with Sony on the exclusives front.

Playing Gears 5 makes me feel like I'm playing the original for the first time again. It's just so good. Excited to jump back in tonight after work.

Super Cyborg

On the final level and playing on Normal with NO cheats. Goddamn I haven't felt this good about beating levels and bosses since the NES days. I cannot thank Artur games enough.

I just finished Control, and despite the ending feeling a bit weak this game was pretty fucking awesome. Very well written, an incredible tone, and super solid action, especially near the end.

Casual Shinji:
I just finished Control, and despite the ending feeling a bit weak this game was pretty fucking awesome. Very well written, an incredible tone, and super solid action, especially near the end.

Yeah, i had some real fun with the game too. Technically not the best, but the details, atmosphere, writing all top.

Storywise i agree at the end it faltered a bit.

I was disappointed at

But man, the "Ashtray Maze" was pretty awesome to play, but it sucks the game has no savepoints and i can't go back and do it again. Totally a worthy sequel to the "Children of the Elder Gods"-Stage of Alan Wake, hehe.

Back to games:

I tried playing "Ancestors - the Humankind Odyssey"
That game is infuriating - draining your time away - giving no information. I hate that your tribe-members just stand around and you have to do EVERYTHING. No one copies your behavior, build anything, eat and drink only if you do it. Couldn't take it anymore and quit it. I was hoping for a good intelligent game, but it is so superficial it is not worth it.

So i am back to playing Starsector and cramming mods into that...

Casual Shinji:

Bout how long is it? I've been eye-balling it, but I don't feel the urge to drop sixty bucks on a game I'll finish in two days.

Re-downloaded Total War: Warhammer II because of the amazing looking DLC coming out this coming week. I"m pretty behind on playing anything for that game, so it might be time for me to give it a go again before the third game comes out next year.... hopefully.

Dishonored 2... at long f***ing last... -.-

Elfgore:
Re-downloaded Total War: Warhammer II because of the amazing looking DLC coming out this coming week. I"m pretty behind on playing anything for that game, so it might be time for me to give it a go again before the third game comes out next year.... hopefully.

The 'Old Friends' update? Looks interesting, definitely... wondering how the temporary recruitment mechanic is going to shake out... 20 turns seems a bit... short.

Or the Empire overhaul... 'cos damn, they're shaking things up a lot... O.O With the added settlements, the map is going to be crowded AF(!)

Elfgore:

Casual Shinji:

Bout how long is it? I've been eye-balling it, but I don't feel the urge to drop sixty bucks on a game I'll finish in two days.

I'd say it's about the length of a standard linear-ish AAA game. The structure of the gameworld is a bit different than most games though, even when comparing it to metroidvania games. You're likely going to get lost quite a bit, because the whole world/building feels like a maze and the map is a tad confusing. There's a bunch of side quest and a couple of the powers are optional and you'll need to find them. So with all of that in mind I think it'll keep you busy for a week or so. It did for me.

Summerstorm:
I was disappointed at

But man, the "Ashtray Maze" was pretty awesome to play, but it sucks the game has no savepoints and i can't go back and do it again. Totally a worthy sequel to the "Children of the Elder Gods"-Stage of Alan Wake, hehe.

Okay yeah, I didn't really get what was going on with that, but now that you mention it that is a little disappointing. Especially with how well this game handles it through most of it: Not putting too much emphasis on it or giving it too much personallity.

Maybe a sequel could follow up on that, but I don't think this game is going to get one.

As for great moments, I think one of the stand-outs to me in this game was the "fridge" sequence.

SckizoBoy:
Dishonored 2... at long f***ing last... -.-

Elfgore:

The 'Old Friends' update? Looks interesting, definitely... wondering how the temporary recruitment mechanic is going to shake out... 20 turns seems a bit... short.

Or the Empire overhaul... 'cos damn, they're shaking things up a lot... O.O With the added settlements, the map is going to be crowded AF(!)

Though both of those look cool, we're getting a DLC and Free-LC next week. The Hunter and the Beast brings the Empire into the Nexus campaign and adds another Lizardman LL and units for both like the other lord packs. Free-LC is another Lizardman LL too.

Casual Shinji:

Elfgore:

Casual Shinji:

I'd say it's about the length of a standard linear-ish AAA game. The structure of the gameworld is a bit different than most games though, even when comparing it to metroidvania games. You're likely going to get lost quite a bit, because the whole world/building feels like a maze and the map is a tad confusing. There's a bunch of side quest and a couple of the powers are optional and you'll need to find them. So with all of that in mind I think it'll keep you busy for a week or so. It did for me.

Thanks, mate! Might pick it up sooner rather than later then.

Nick Calandra:
Just started Gears 5 last night and holy shit is it good. I was lukewarm on Gears 4, but Gears 5 plays amazing, looks stunning on my PC and just feels like Microsoft is deadly serious about competing with Sony on the exclusives front.

Playing Gears 5 makes me feel like I'm playing the original for the first time again. It's just so good. Excited to jump back in tonight after work.

I was watching a Let's Play the other night on the Azura level and it looked fun. I always liked the meaty feel behind its gunplay and hit responses. Was thinking of getting the PC version sometime but heard it has some pretty big bugs at launch, like where checkpoints won't register after clearing a wave so you have to restart it. Probably going to wait a while though since I still need to get through quite a few other games and haven't even played Gears 4 yet.

Summerstorm:

I tried playing "Ancestors - the Humankind Odyssey"
That game is infuriating - draining your time away - giving no information. I hate that your tribe-members just stand around and you have to do EVERYTHING. No one copies your behavior, build anything, eat and drink only if you do it. Couldn't take it anymore and quit it. I was hoping for a good intelligent game, but it is so superficial it is not worth it.

So i am back to playing Starsector and cramming mods into that...

Yeah, I was rather looking forward to it, especially the concept which was basically a new take on EVO: The Search for Eden, but sadly I keep hearing how painful it is when you get wiped out and all your progress needs to be made up.

About three and a half hours into Astral Chain, and despite not really liking any of Platinum's games and finding (modern) anime visuals very off putting in games (and anime) I actually dig this game quite a bit.

The future cop concept is always cool and Japan has a knack for that. The anime aesthetic isn't too much, and even then the chrome-like rendering makes up for a lot. Character creator is always a boon, and the game actually allows you to change your character afterward, something every damn game with a character creator should do. You also get to play dress-up and I'm totally up for that. Wish you could also change the appearance of your sibling though.

The action is something very different and cool, but I still need to wrap my head around it for a bit. I feel like everytime I boot up the game I need to re-familiarize myself with a lot of the combat moves. The tutorials are also very Japanese, which isn't a compliment, but in the context of the setting I guess it kinda makes sense. Still, learn to not throw fucking tutorial windows at the player every minute Japan. Integrate that shit more organically into your games already.

Anyway, really good so far.

Casual Shinji:
About three and a half hours into Astral Chain, and despite not really liking any of Platinum's games and finding (modern) anime visuals very off putting in games (and anime) I actually dig this game quite a bit.

The future cop concept is always cool and Japan has a knack for that. The anime aesthetic isn't too much, and even then the chrome-like rendering makes up for a lot. Character creator is always a boon, and the game actually allows you to change your character afterward, something every damn game with a character creator should do. You also get to play dress-up and I'm totally up for that. Wish you could also change the appearance of your sibling though.

The action is something very different and cool, but I still need to wrap my head around it for a bit. I feel like everytime I boot up the game I need to re-familiarize myself with a lot of the combat moves. The tutorials are also very Japanese, which isn't a compliment, but in the context of the setting I guess it kinda makes sense. Still, learn to not throw fucking tutorial windows at the player every minute Japan. Integrate that shit more organically into your games already.

Glad you're enjoying it. I recommend the Type C controls as that style is closer to Bayonetta controls. I don't know why they went for this Dark Souls controls as the default.

CoCage:
Glad you're enjoying it. I recommend the Type C controls as that style is closer to Bayonetta controls. I don't know why they went for this Dark Souls controls as the default.

I guess maybe to more easily distinguish between the player and Legion actions. At first I was like: What the fuck is this? But I got used to it pretty quickly.

Casual Shinji:

CoCage:

I guess maybe to more easily distinguish between the player and Legion actions. At first I was like: What the fuck is this? But I got used to it pretty quickly.

Honestly, the default controls made it all the more confusing for me. I kind of got used to it at first, but when I started using the other control scheme the second hour in, and went to the training room. The combat clicked better for me with type c. Maybe, it's just me, but Dark Souls style controls don't work in fast paced action games like this. It's why I changed the controls in God of War 4 to the classic style. Everyone's hard wired differently, but if the default work for you that is no problem at all.

Been going crazy into Iceborne! I love the new mechanics. A grappling hook you can always use to grab onto monsters is godsent and all the new attacks (the Iai stance of the longswords is so freaking hype) with each type of weapon, not to mention the gorgeous new area and epic new monsters.

This is the sort of dlc that all dlc should take heed of.

Casual Shinji:

Anime aesthetic isn't really one thing and you can't have "more" or "less" of it. It's like saying "this water is more watery than that water". Things with varying looks still are 100% anime look. I think it'd be more helpful to your enjoyment of games (and anime) to more accurately pinpoint the sort of anime styles and genres you actually dislike lol.

Astral Chain is completely classic cyberpunk style anime. Reminiscent of classics like Ghost in the Shell.

Dreiko:
Anime aesthetic isn't really one thing and you can't have "more" or "less" of it. It's like saying "this water is more watery than that water". Things with varying looks still are 100% anime look. I think it'd be more helpful to your enjoyment of games (and anime) to more accurately pinpoint the sort of anime styles and genres you actually dislike lol.

Yeah, you can. Certainly when it comes to modern anime. And that's probably because while studios like Platinum and Capcom make very Japanese games, they don't adhire too much to (modern) anime conventions, unlike something like Valkyria Chronicles or Persona 5. When Japanese games aim heavily for the anime visuals it's those types of games that are usually the result, and with Astral Chain it thankfully wasn't, eventhough it pretty much rips off Evangelion. Seriously, when's the last time we had a futuristic anime?

Casual Shinji:
Seriously, when's the last time we had a futuristic anime?

Ghost in the Shell ARISE

Dimension W - That show is garbage anyway though.

Space Dandy - Some episodes have the futuristic look depending on what planet Dandy happens be on at that time.

Redline - I might be cheating with that one. It's a combination of future racing and dieselpunk.

reason why you don't see a lot of futuristic anime anymore, is because that genre has been pretty much done to death in the late 80s in the majority of the 90s. Some of the early 2000s too. Then there's a fact that all them copied Blade Runner or Neuromancer in some fashion.

CoCage:

Casual Shinji:
Seriously, when's the last time we had a futuristic anime?

Ghost in the Shell ARISE

Dimension W - That show is garbage anyway though.

Space Dandy - Some episodes have the futuristic look depending on what planet Dandy happens be on at that time.

Redline - I might be cheating with that one. It's a combination of future racing and dieselpunk.

Space Dandy is an outlier since Watanabe is one of the few talented individuals still working in the industry who tries to avoid the ANIME. His new show Carole and Tuesday is technically a futuristic anime as well, but it's primarily about the music there. All in all still a tiny glimmer though.

Redline felt more crazy style rather than future. I think you could've had it set in a different dimension with no real trouble. But even then, that was 2009.

I'm talking more about the anime that was super keen on showing off tech, like Patlabor. Anime used to be so good at showing you future tech (or even fantasy tech) and making it look tactile and believable. I miss that, when some ink and paint made robots and spaceships feel more realistic and cool than anything in live-action.

reason why you don't see a lot of futuristic anime anymore, is because that genre has been pretty much done to death in the late 80s in the majority of the 90s. Some of the early 2000s too. Then there's a fact that all them copied Blade Runner or Neuromancer in some fashion.

That doesn't stop any of the highschool/moe anime out there though. That shit is still going strong despite being done to death. I think it has more to do with that kind of anime being less appealing to lonely, horny geeks, which seems to be what a good 90% of anime is right now.

Casual Shinji:

Dreiko:

Yeah, you can. Certainly when it comes to modern anime. And that's probably because while studios like Platinum and Capcom make very Japanese games, they don't adhire too much to (modern) anime conventions, unlike something like Valkyria Chronicles or Persona 5. When Japanese games aim heavily for the anime visuals it's those types of games that are usually the result, and with Astral Chain it thankfully wasn't, eventhough it pretty much rips off Evangelion. Seriously, when's the last time we had a futuristic anime?

Modern anime or 90s anime is all still 100% anime, so what you're saying is you like the more foundational sort of anime that focus more on gritty bloody edgy action and whatnot and not on insider subculture humor and slice of life stuff, which is certainly a valid preference. Hell, I love this stuff too (have so many Hellsing shirts lol).

I just fail to see the need to malign anime as though it's all one way or another or to define a certain aesthetic as the entirety of anime and proceed to define the amount of that one sort of aesthetic present in a work as "how anime" the work is. That's completely inaccurate and does a disservice to a ton of good content some of which you yourself would probably enjoy. What you're doing is basically defining anime as "thing I don't like" and in so doing are badmouthing all of anime to the ears of those who have the accurate definition of the term, when what you're in effect referring to is just moe or otaku-themed stuff like Sewayaki no Senko san. (which is also amazing btw, tails for days!)

As for good futuristic shows, there's a bunch. The last one I saw was Darling in the Franxx, very cool giant mech story with a hint of Orwelian themes and even a bit of scientology mixed in. You have legend of the galactic heroes, which is a literal classic 80s style show. Then there's Valvrave the Liberator, another cool mech show with a bigger emphasis on politics. Finally, you have Tiger and Bunny, which is an amazing take on futuristic reality shows mixed with superheroes. Does a ton of things right and has the coolest pair of bro main cast in a long while.

Dreiko:

Casual Shinji:

Dreiko:

Modern anime or 90s anime is all still 100% anime, so what you're saying is you like the more foundational sort of anime that focus more on gritty bloody edgy action and whatnot and not on insider subculture humor and slice of life stuff, which is certainly a valid preference. Hell, I love this stuff too (have so many Hellsing shirts lol).

I just fail to see the need to malign anime as though it's all one way or another or to define a certain aesthetic as the entirety of anime and proceed to define the amount of that one sort of aesthetic present in a work as "how anime" the work is. That's completely inaccurate and does a disservice to a ton of good content some of which you yourself would probably enjoy. What you're doing is basically defining anime as "thing I don't like" and in so doing are badmouthing all of anime to the ears of those who have the accurate definition of the term, when what you're in effect referring to is just moe or otaku-themed stuff like Sewayaki no Senko san. (which is also amazing btw, tails for days!)

As for good futuristic shows, there's a bunch. The last one I saw was Darling in the Franxx, very cool giant mech story with a hint of Orwelian themes and even a bit of scientology mixed in. You have legend of the galactic heroes, which is a literal classic 80s style show. Then there's Valvrave the Liberator, another cool mech show with a bigger emphasis on politics. Finally, you have Tiger and Bunny, which is an amazing take on futuristic reality shows mixed with superheroes. Does a ton of things right and has the coolest pair of bro main cast in a long while.

All this is anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGAr34no_a0

OK, maybe not. But it imitates anime styles that I have seen come and go for decades...

OT: After finishing The World Ends With You, I'm going back to Octopath Traveler.

Dreiko:

Yet that's pretty much all anime is now: Geek pandering to the max. It's a snake eating is own tail. Anime used to push the envelope in what was possible in animated visuals, now it's just content in serving up the same accidental boob grabs followed up by angry slap.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here