What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 NEXT

Casual Shinji:

Dreiko:
I just fail to see the need to malign anime as though it's all one way or another or to define a certain aesthetic as the entirety of anime and proceed to define the amount of that one sort of aesthetic present in a work as "how anime" the work is. That's completely inaccurate and does a disservice to a ton of good content some of which you yourself would probably enjoy. What you're doing is basically defining anime as "thing I don't like" and in so doing are badmouthing all of anime to the ears of those who have the accurate definition of the term, when what you're in effect referring to is just moe or otaku-themed stuff like Sewayaki no Senko san. (which is also amazing btw, tails for days!)

Yet that's pretty much all anime is now: Geek pandering to the max. It's a snake eating is own tail. Anime used to push the envelope in what was possible in animated visuals, now it's just content in serving up the same accidental boob grabs followed up by angry slap.

Nah that's just some anime that do that. Also, anime that do that can also do a ton of pushing animation forward. Example of this is the Monogatari series which is my fav of the decade. It's chock full of otaku humor and also some of the best anime ever made in the history of anime, with amazing characters and plotlines.

I think the error here is that you confuse a component being present in an anime for the anime being about that component, when in fact only SOME anime are about that component.

There literally is no reason why something that's about something else that pushes the medium forward can't ALSO have comedic boob grabs and panties and what have you. Those are all good things. Dragonball had them, fist of the north star had them, evangelion had them, they're not a new addition and their presence in those works doesn't make them any less revolutionary than it does modern shows.

Not everything is a slice of life harem show that sells itself on fanservice just because there's cute girls.

How did not liking one game's art style lead to complete dissing on the entire medium? If you fixate on just things you don't like, well you are going to end up hating the whole medium. Scifi, especially mecha definitely has been on a downturn though. Gundam is pretty much the only thing that pops up every now and then(and with the Build series being a thing now, while it's something I enjoy I also understand that it's not everyone's jam and distinctly different from usual scifi mecha). Sunrise used to throw some original attempts at the wall(Valvrave, Cross Ange, trash but hilariously entertaining trash), but it seems they have given up and mostly prioritize idol stuff. While not original, the Yamato remakes are fairly recent and quite enjoyable. There's more Psycho-Pass coming up in the Fall season, something I have mixed feelings about but find entertaining none the less. I'm going to continue ignoring all the webnovel isekai adaptations as usual.

Every entertainment medium is going to have its fair share of pandering though. Just as you might lament all the slice of life cute girl anime, games once had a massive glut of generic brown shooters. Trying in vain to capture the same lightning in a bottle.

That said, I've started playing Planescape Torment. Second attempt at it. I shall endeavour to finish it this time around. I gave it a shot some years ago but kinda got lost, stuck and lost focus and dropped it.

Dreiko:

There literally is no reason why something that's about something else that pushes the medium forward can't ALSO have comedic boob grabs and panties and what have you. Those are all good things. Dragonball had them, fist of the north star had them, evangelion had them, they're not a new addition and their presence in those works doesn't make them any less revolutionary than it does modern shows.

No it doesn't mate. Such innuendos spoil an entire show b/c such pandering is incredibly childish and immature. Whenever there is a close up boob shot of what looks like an underage girl or some high pitched moe character I'm done with that shit. I really can't take the show seriously anymore and the whole thing just becomes stupid.

The shows you mention all have a specific demographic or style. Dragonball is for teens so the show must cater to their tastes. Fist of the north star was Mad Max inspired anime pulp(but very fun) where characters had necks the size of torso's that never took itself seriously in the first place. Evangelion is a pretentious wankfest that confuses schizophrenic gibberish for thematic depth. None of them are revolutionary imo.

The only anime I would consider revolutionary are Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Texhnolyze. You can tell these animes are made with an adult audience in mind but they are few and far, or rather decades, apart. Anime has indeed become a specific kind of geek pandering even in shows you wouldn't expect it. Maybe it has to do with a different generation making anime or maybe the casual audience no longer watches it. But anime(espescially it's mainstream appeal) has gone downhill just like the animation quality. A good example would be Berserk. Take the original anime from the '90s and compare it with the modern 'continuation'. The difference is like night and day.

Now, that is not to say I hate anime. I love the game Catherine and that no doubt has a very anime aesthetic. I also really enjoyed Persona 5. I also absolutely love Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4 and find them exceptionally good games and I actually really like their aesthetic as it fits the tone of the game. Also some recent anime like Dr Stone, Vinland Saga and Dororo look pretty good. So, not all is lost I guess. :p

stroopwafel:
Evangelion is a pretentious wankfest that confuses schizophrenic gibberish for thematic depth.

THANK YOU!!!

stroopwafel:

Dreiko:

No it doesn't mate. Such innuendos spoil an entire show b/c such pandering is incredibly childish and immature. Whenever there is a close up boob shot of what looks like an underage girl or some high pitched moe character I'm done with that shit. I really can't take the show seriously anymore and the whole thing just becomes stupid.

The shows you mention all have a specific demographic or style. Dragonball is for teens so the show must cater to their tastes. Fist of the north star was Mad Max inspired anime pulp(but very fun) where characters had necks the size of torso's that never took itself seriously in the first place. Evangelion is a pretentious wankfest that confuses schizophrenic gibberish for thematic depth. None of them are revolutionary imo.

The only anime I would consider revolutionary are Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Texhnolyze. You can tell these animes are made with an adult audience in mind but they are few and far, or rather decades, apart. Anime has indeed become a specific kind of geek pandering even in shows you wouldn't expect it. Maybe it has to do with a different generation making anime or maybe the casual audience no longer watches it. But anime(espescially it's mainstream appeal) has gone downhill just like the animation quality. A good example would be Berserk. Take the original anime from the '90s and compare it with the modern 'continuation'. The difference is like night and day.

Now, that is not to say I hate anime. I love the game Catherine and that no doubt has a very anime aesthetic. I also really enjoyed Persona 5. I also absolutely love Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4 and find them exceptionally good games and I actually really like their aesthetic as it fits the tone of the game. Also some recent anime like Dr Stone, Vinland Saga and Dororo look pretty good. So, not all is lost I guess. :p

It's not immature at all, it's just Japanese sexual slapstick. It's mainstream over there. There's even random tv show sketches like SNL where for example you have the perverted airport security guard wave a sensor of some sort over a beauty, forcing her to strip to ensure she's not hiding anything while waving the beeping sensor all around her (at one point waving it over his own crotch which also causes it to beep) and once he's finally done with her a crazy looking metalhead comes through and he just lets him pass without stopping him at all, seeming annoyed at his being a dude lol.

Your error here is trying to interpret this through the eyes of american culture, basically. Though you have stumbled on a true element. It isn't as much pandering as it is niche specialization. Japan, with both games and anime, doesn't try for this touted mainstream appeal. Instead, it cultivates a niche of superfans and services that niche to the exclusion of everybody else. It's why indie or non-AAA games keep getting made in Japan. If you have modest goals you can make games that you can't if you need them to sell 4m copies to break even. Same with anime, if you make an anime that's not too expensive to make but is chock full of stuff a subculture loves, they'll watch it and buy the figures and whatnot, so you can get away with doing that when if you have to make something that appeals to everyone like a Ghibli film that's prohibitively expensive to attempt.

So, what you have is actually a really vibrant and variable anime scene with a ton of stuff. You just fallaciously bunch it all up to one big "geek pandering" group when in fact there's a ton of different sorts of subgroups that are being pandered to and due to this specialization someone who is into the subculture will enjoy great variety.

Finally, berserk is one manga that has been being drawn since the late 80s, the latest anime was just a very bad foray into 3D but the material it covers was drawing in the late 90s so if you have an issue with where the plot goes, it's not an issue relevant to modern anime/manga subculture. Even the old anime cut out a whole story arc and changed a HUGE plot point which I won't spoil but I'll just say, read the manga and things will make a lot more sense. Berserk anime is fine and all but not the best the series has to offer.

As for Eva and DBZ and so on, they're revolutionary in a cultural effect sense even if you don't care about the content. Asuka and Rei are iconic characters that became archetypes that continue to inspire works made to this day and a lot of the fighting conventions of dbz were adopted in one way or another by basically every shonen that came after it. Even HxH doesn't escape that and it's also pretty revolutionary too imo.

In that sense, Monogatari is also revolutionary. Also, it most definitely benefits from the sexual levity moments, since it's pretty dark and depressing otherwise.

Dreiko:
As for Eva and DBZ and so on, they're revolutionary in a cultural effect sense even if you don't care about the content. Asuka and Rei are iconic characters that became archetypes that continue to inspire works made to this day and a lot of the fighting conventions of dbz were adopted in one way or another by basically every shonen that came after it. Even HxH doesn't escape that and it's also pretty revolutionary too imo.

And therein lies the problem: Anime studios currently (and also really for the last 10+ years) only seek inspiration within their own medium. Little if any feels like it's inspired by movies, books, or history. This is what Miyazaki meant when he said 'anime was a mistake', because it's created an isolated environment where it just regurgitates itself over and over. This is also why Watanabe's work is one of the few that feels refreshing, because he looks to outside sources for inspiration.

I'll leave it at that and not derail this thread any more.

OT: Astral Chain is still good, but I'm feeling a bit of stagnation set in. I can see where the story is going from a mile away, none of the characters are particularly interesting or entertaining, your character having zero personality doesn't help much either, and the File/Mission set-up of 'walk around the street for 15 minutes gathering clues, and then go to the astral plain to fight enemies and a Boss' is getting a bit boring. The combat is still super fun and interesting, but the rest isn't pulling its weight as much.

Casual Shinji:

Dreiko:

And therein lies the problem: Anime studios currently (and also really for the last 10+ years) only seek inspiration within their own medium. Little if any feels like it's inspired by movies, books, or history. This is what Miyazaki meant when he said 'anime was a mistake', because it's created an isolated environment where it just regurgitates itself over and over. This is also why Watanabe's work is one of the few that feels refreshing, because he looks to outside sources for inspiration.

I'll leave it at that and not derail this thread any more.

OT: Astral Chain is still good, but I'm feeling a bit of stagnation set in. I can see where the story is going from a mile away, none of the characters are particularly interesting or entertaining, your character having zero personality doesn't help much either, and the File/Mission set-up of 'walk around the street for 15 minutes gathering clues, and then go to the astral plain to fight enemies and a Boss' is getting a bit boring. The combat is still super fun and interesting, but the rest isn't pulling its weight as much.

I'll just go back to my post about Darling in the Franxx. It has Orwelian themes and even some things derived from scientology, also it's made by Trigger (the gurren lagann people) so it's excellent in animation/action scenes too. There's stuff out there, just gotta go look for it.

I got Collection of Mana on the Switch. I have played (but never finished) only the first two (although I only played Final Fantasy Adventure in emulator long ago and I don't remember much of it).

I love how much the world of RDR2 feels organic and lived in, right down to the boarded up saloons after a big shootout to the decomposing corpses you leave behind. The incidental stuff with NPCs is on a whole other level too. I feel like it's literally meant to be played as a mega budget spaghetti western fantasy simulator, and then some; the "some" being often more entertaining than the actual narrative thread, which is what elevates it beyond what other mediums can do with the given thematic material. To play with any objective gamish "goal" in mind beyond simply inhabiting this virtual play space and seeing what you can make happen could be counterproductive to much of the enjoyment to be had imo.

The game is loaded with very believable, human touches that allow for a good bit of self authored play, which is ironic seeing as how the main narrative essentially has you on a short leash. Maybe that was an intended trade off, which would be understandable if the creators have a very deliberate story to tell.

There's way too many fucking games coming out, by the way. I only just finished Control and I'm still working my way through Astral Chain, and I just picked up Blasphemous and Deadly Premonition for the Switch. I got Cathrine coming in on thursday, and I've just been made aware of Greedfall. A person with discipline might take these games on one at a time, but god dammit I just wan'm now.

Casual Shinji:
There's way too many fucking games coming out, by the way. I only just finished Control and I'm still working my way through Astral Chain, and I just picked up Blasphemous and Deadly Premonition for the Switch. I got Cathrine coming in on thursday, and I've just been made aware of Greedfall. A person with discipline might take these games on one at a time, but god dammit I just wan'm now.

Deadly Premonition is the best shitty game I ever played. Francis York is my most favorite videogame protagonist of all time. FK...in the coffee!

hanselthecaretaker:
I love how much the world of RDR2 feels organic and lived in, right down to the boarded up saloons after a big shootout to the decomposing corpses you leave behind. The incidental stuff with NPCs is on a whole other level too. I feel like it?s literally meant to be played as a mega budget spaghetti western fantasy simulator, and then some; the ?some? being often more entertaining than the actual narrative thread, which is what elevates it beyond what other mediums can do with the given thematic material. To play with any objective gamish ?goal? in mind beyond simply inhabiting this virtual play space and seeing what you can make happen could be counterproductive to much of the enjoyment to be had imo.

For reals. How they have been able to make that game work is pure digital magic. Games usually work on the concept of smoke & mirrors but RDR2 goes far, far beyond superficial rendering. Every time I play this game I'm amazed it actually exists. There is a painterly quality to it as well that almost make the game look like art in motion. I really liked the story of Dutch and the gang espescially the central theme of holding on to old romantic individualist beliefs during the advent of modernity and urbanization. Espescially Arthur's tale was more tragic as he never seemed to deliberately want to go down the outlaw path and knew the era was coming to an end. So many little subtleties in the story as well that hint at extensive and meticulous research.

Anyways currently playing Blasphemous. Really enjoying this game. So many amazing metroidvania's have come out, and this is another exceptionally good one. Artstyle and enemy design is really imaginative as well. The incredible pixel art really make it pop.

stroopwafel:

Anyways currently playing Blasphemous. Really enjoying this game. So many amazing metroidvania's have come out, and this is another exceptionally good one. Artstyle and enemy design is really imaginative as well. The incredible pixel art really make it pop.

I've been watching that game for a long time and so far all of the press has been good. I liked The Last Door and Blasphemous looks fascinating. I imagine it's gonna have that whole Dark Souls thing where the plot all super cryptic, for what plot there is. If nothing else, the art design is amazing and disturbing.

I'm also curious if there's some lore behind the giant baby or if it's a wierdass boss. I know thats wierd but how often do you fight a giant christ baby?

Dalisclock:

stroopwafel:

I've been watching that game for a long time and so far all of the press has been good. I liked The Last Door and Blasphemous looks fascinating. I imagine it's gonna have that whole Dark Souls thing where the plot all super cryptic, for what plot there is. If nothing else, the art design is amazing and disturbing.

I'm also curious if there's some lore behind the giant baby or if it's a wierdass boss. I know thats wierd but how often do you fight a giant christ baby?

To be honest the lore in Dark Souls is like a spoon fed Hollywood flick compared to Blasphemous. The story in this game is like word spaghetti to me it makes absolute zero sense. Maybe it esoterically references Spanish religous beliefs that go way over my head. It doesn't matter though as it's a 2D metroidvania not exactly known for stories. Some of the lore notes are fun to read but they do read like someone just pulled them out of their ass. The game is exceptionally fun to play though and the pixel art is gorgeous. The game is more like Castlevania than Dark Souls tbh but it does have inspiration from that game like needing to retrieve stuff after death, a parry mechanic and a systematic design.

stroopwafel:

Dalisclock:

stroopwafel:

To be honest the lore in Dark Souls is like a spoon fed Hollywood flick compared to Blasphemous. The story in this game is like word spaghetti to me it makes absolute zero sense. Maybe it esoterically references Spanish religous beliefs that go way over my head. It doesn't matter though as it's a 2D metroidvania not exactly known for stories. Some of the lore notes are fun to read but they do read like someone just pulled them out of their ass. The game is exceptionally fun to play though and the pixel art is gorgeous. The game is more like Castlevania than Dark Souls tbh but it does have inspiration from that game like needing to retrieve stuff after death, a parry mechanic and a systematic design.

I mean, I figured it was gonna be as obtuse as all fuck just based off the trailers that already came out, especially since the whole Miracle thing smacks of "God Works in Mysterious Ways", the way that's sometimes used to answer the Problem of Evil(though there might be a whole Catholic angle I'm not considering).

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to playing it. I suspect it'll be the next thing I play once I'm finished with this game of Stellaris(also because I'm gonna want to put Stellaris down for a bit).

Casual Shinji:

How's Blasphemous? It's the one on my wishlist that's most likely to get picked up soon.

Dreiko:

It's not immature at all, it's just Japanese sexual slapstick. It's mainstream over there. There's even random tv show sketches like SNL where for example you have the perverted airport security guard wave a sensor of some sort over a beauty, forcing her to strip to ensure she's not hiding anything while waving the beeping sensor all around her (at one point waving it over his own crotch which also causes it to beep) and once he's finally done with her a crazy looking metalhead comes through and he just lets him pass without stopping him at all, seeming annoyed at his being a dude lol.

Your error here is trying to interpret this through the eyes of american culture, basically.

Oh yes, how dare people look at that scenario and dare find it a wee bit iffy. Cultural differences only go so far before you stop and say "what the fuck, guys?" "It's mainstream" is a lazy defense, frankly. There's plenty that's mainstream in America that I'm highly critical of, why should other countries get special treatment?

Smithnikov:

Casual Shinji:

How's Blasphemous? It's the one on my wishlist that's most likely to get picked up soon.

I backed it on Kickstarter and I beat the second boss yesterday. It's weird, it's so over the top in it how bleak it is that if I just had everything I had seen listed to me I'd call it edgy and try harder, but in context, it just kinda works. It's got beautiful sound design, beautiful animation, the difficulty is just right (people say it's like Dark Souls, but really it's more like Sekiro in that you need to focus on parrying) and it's got a unique style of Spanish Christanity esque horror.

Smithnikov:

Casual Shinji:

While it's certainly not bad, it's no Hollow Knight either. Like Hollow Knight it's a 2D Souls, but unlike Hollow Knight the controls don't feel as tight. I'm not too far into the game yet, but I can already tell I'm not a big fan of the platforming. Even in the short amount that I've played there have been instances where my character touched the edge of a platform but missed and fell away, because the hitbox apparently didn't correlate to the actual image.

Casual Shinji:

Also playing Astral Chain and I feel much the same way. While it took me a while to get to grips with the controls, the combat is really fun now that I can consistently pull off some of the fancier stuff. But yeah, what you could call the exploration phase is considerably less engaging. Compared to the combat, it feels clumsy, sluggish and not a little bit archaic.

Chimpzy:
Also playing Astral Chain and I feel much the same way. While it took me a while to get to grips with the controls, the combat is really fun now that I can consistently pull off some of the fancier stuff. But yeah, what you could call the exploration phase is considerably less engaging. Compared to the combat, it feels clumsy, sluggish and not a little bit archaic.

I do actually like that you're doing some police work and serving the plublic trust and whatnot. I just don't think it's woven in very organically.

As for the NGE comparison, there's a line that's lifted almost wholesale. Not to mention the scenery it happens in.

Been playing Darksiders III. Haven't played the first two but this was free on PS+ so I thought I'd give it a try.

So far the combat has been pretty solid, it's challenging (I'm playing on hard), Fury has been an enjoyable protagonist, and I like how most of the levels have been laid out so far and how they connect. On the other hand this game has some serious loading/framerate issues. Everytime you die or teleport you have to wait through a pre-patch Bloodborne-tier loading screen, and the framerate often spazzes out during big fights, especially boss fights.

Started Gears 5. So far, the game's come out swinging.

Arkham Knight and having a blast but what is it with this series and boss fights?

Hawki:
Started Gears 5. So far, the game's come out swinging.

I've heard it's the best Gears since 2, but also that it is a disappointing step down from 2. For instance.

Seems like Cliffy B. was responsible for a lot of the little details that made it stand out.

Been playing a bunch of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. The game is just...it's funny! It's rare to see a game be this funny and not stem from something inherently comedic like the Southpark RPGs, the last such game was world of final fantasy. Surprising that both are monster catcher style games. Maybe that's a link?

Anyhow, I'm working towards a DNA fusion of EX Veemon and Stingmon and just got my best bro Impmon in my party, meanwhile the story is taking ques from various works like .hack and integrating the digimon universe with them seamlessly, which is a ton of fun. Also gotta give it to them on the VAs. Maaya Sakamoto as the sexy detective, Sawashiro Miyuki as the wise fortuneteller (I guess she got typecast for those roles ever since her p3 performance as Elizabeth lol) and Okubo Rumi as the scaredycat friend that's the funniest char I've seen in a game in a loooong time (at one point she implies that digimon are attracted to her "cute-sexy pheromones" lol).

The game is easy to overlook and you won't get as much out of it if you don't know digimon lore already but it's still way too much fun on its own right if you like traditional Jrpgs with monster-catcher mechanics.

erttheking:

Dreiko:

Your error here is trying to interpret this through the eyes of american culture, basically.

Oh yes, how dare people look at that scenario and dare find it a wee bit iffy. Cultural differences only go so far before you stop and say "what the fuck, guys?" "It's mainstream" is a lazy defense, frankly. There's plenty that's mainstream in America that I'm highly critical of, why should other countries get special treatment?

The important part is your critique coming from within the correct context. Going "this thing is bad over here so it's bad over there too" like in the post I was replying to is not it. You wanna compare it to things that don't do that in Japanese culture and show why they're better. If your solution to this issue is it being more like American fare, that's outright denied. We already have American fare, this ought to remain Japanese in some fashion or another.

I'm trying Blasphemous and its stupid hard. Like really obnoxiously hard. Its supposed to be a 2-D dark souls, but it only has one BonLanternFireShrine per level, and these are sprawling, grueling levels with loads of enemies.
Imagine doing the Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, full level with boss and everything, with only one BoneLanternFireShrine at the beginning, and instead of losing Souls/Blood when you die, each death cuts part of you mana meter.
Its a little too much.

Been playing Cathrine: Full Body, and I got near what I assume is the end when I stopped playing. Overall it's pretty cool: It's neat seeing an anime universe where the main character is 31 (which in anime time is geriatric and thus not worth it) and actually having sex. The dialoge also feels like not typical shitty anime dialoge for the most part.

The problem is there isn't as much to this game as I thought there would be. I figured there'd be a lot more social interaction and shaping Vincent's life. And despite the game being called Cathrine both her and Kathrine really aren't in the game much at all, and are less characters as they are a problem Vincent has to deal with. Which makes it hard to decide what path you want Vincent to take. He's been in a relationship with Kathrine for 5 years, yet the game never really allows the player to get to know her.

Then there's Rin who sticks out in this special edition like a sore thumb as the new "girl". She just randomly bumps into Vincent suffering from amnesia. What's worse is that she's the most waifu fucking character I've seen in a while. She's all sensitive, and soft-spoken, and dedicated to Vincent, and wanting to bring happiness to the world with her common piano playing skills. Not to be cynical about what in real life would be admirable qualities (some of them), but in anime it's pretty clearly 'look at this perfect wife material'. And I'm really fucking allergic to that shit.

I got near the end and realized I didn't really care where this was going anymore.

Casual Shinji:
they are a problem Vincent has to deal with.

I'm not gonna say things that may be spoilers, I'll just say that you are ON to something lmao.

Game has many endings depending on how you play your cards and it has a true ending too. Look forward to that haha.

Dreiko:

The important part is your critique coming from within the correct context. Going "this thing is bad over here so it's bad over there too" like in the post I was replying to is not it. You wanna compare it to things that don't do that in Japanese culture and show why they're better. If your solution to this issue is it being more like American fare, that's outright denied. We already have American fare, this ought to remain Japanese in some fashion or another.

...You really want me to look at it from a Japanese perspective? (I think, your post isn't very well worded) From the perspective of a country where sexual assault is a massive problem?

I don't think that'll be as flattering to the country as you think it'll be.

[quote="hanselthecaretaker" post="9.1023756.24318638"
I?ve heard it?s the best Gears since 2, but also that it is a disappointing step down from 2.[/quote]

Well, so far no game in the series has matched 2 for me, so arguably every game has been a step down from that. Still, from what I've played so far, it's pretty close to 2.

Granted, might have to do with similar plot structure. Gears 4 takes a lot from Gears 1 in that it's a small group that's kept isolated for most of the game. Gears 5 is like Gears 2 in that you go straight into the action and it's all encompassing in terms of the setting.

So I finished Final Fantasy Adventure (the Collection of Mana version), and I was wrong. I had never played it before in my life. It's an action RPG with gameplay somehow similar to a top-view Zelda like the original one. All things considered, it isn't a bad game.

Next is Secret of Mana (and I hope I actually manage to finish it this time)

Casual Shinji:
Been playing Cathrine: Full Body, and I got near what I assume is the end when I stopped playing. Overall it's pretty cool: It's neat seeing an anime universe where the main character is 31 (which in anime time is geriatric and thus not worth it) and actually having sex. The dialoge also feels like not typical shitty anime dialoge for the most part.

The problem is there isn't as much to this game as I thought there would be. I figured there'd be a lot more social interaction and shaping Vincent's life. And despite the game being called Cathrine both her and Kathrine really aren't in the game much at all, and are less characters as they are a problem Vincent has to deal with. Which makes it hard to decide what path you want Vincent to take. He's been in a relationship with Kathrine for 5 years, yet the game never really allows the player to get to know her.

I haven't played it but if you know the twist, is there any way to meaningfully change the interactions of the game? Because I would think it would make it extremely easy at that point to pick the "right" choices even if Vincent is so dense not to figure it out on his own.

Dalisclock:

Casual Shinji:

I haven't played it but if you know the twist, is there any way to meaningfully change the interactions of the game? Because I would think it would make it extremely easy at that point to pick the "right" choices even if Vincent is so dense not to figure it out on his own.

I haven't finished it and probably never will, but from what I understand Vincent just kinda does what he does on his own and dependent on how you answer certain questions or respond to certain conversations he'll act differently. In my playthrough I had him on the more noble side of the spectrum, which resulted in him feeling guilty but still making dick moves completely out of my control, like sleeping around with Cathrine and lying to Kathrine. I'd be cool if the game allowed you some room to play around with these scenarios, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

Casual Shinji:

I got the feeling that having the player to not really get to know Katherine was intentional. Whatever made Vincent and Katherine fall in love with each other is left in the dark, as the sense of obligation and guilt overwhelms him. But, what happens if that sense of obligation is lifted?

Dreiko:
Been playing a bunch of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. The game is just...it's funny! It's rare to see a game be this funny and not stem from something inherently comedic like the Southpark RPGs, the last such game was world of final fantasy. Surprising that both are monster catcher style games. Maybe that's a link?

Good to hear someone is enjoying it. I haven't played a Digimon game to its completion since Digimon World 2. I'm eagerly awaiting the PC release next month. As a kid, I used to be into the very first Digimon Virtual Pets. I've watched the first two anime, though I really could not get into Tri. Either way will be nice to revisit the franchise while also getting a JRPG fix.

Wings012:

Dreiko:

Good to hear someone is enjoying it. I haven't played a Digimon game to its completion since Digimon World 2. I'm eagerly awaiting the PC release next month. As a kid, I used to be into the very first Digimon Virtual Pets. I've watched the first two anime, though I really could not get into Tri. Either way will be nice to revisit the franchise while also getting a JRPG fix.

Tri gets really dark and should be called cri, it might even be darker than the second half of digimon tamers. I loved it to death and it wasn't about the nostalgia either. What's great is that unlike most things nowadays that are continuing a 15 year old story, it follows tightly in that old story and honors the old events instead of trying to reinvent itself. I felt true respect and love for digimon coming from it.

Tri was originally just 5 films so if you just watch it on an episodic basis (and don't watch every episode that a movie would consist of back to back) then it loses all impact.

The first couple movies are a bit more nostalgia-fest than the other 3, but when you get down to it they end it on a pretty powerful note. I do recommend giving it another chance.

The cyber sleuth game though, that's more like persona/.hack mixed with digimon. You are a detective with special plot spoiler powers and fix problems which are caused by digimon in some fashion. You are based in Nakano and are exploring all of Tokyo, one of the areas opening with each main case you solve (I just unlocked Akihabara). There's a surprising amount of really good characters in it. In fact, everyone's a good character so far. Very likeable and a lot of them really funny too.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here