What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 NEXT

Still playing Death Stranding. Funny enough, I was able to connect the Robotist and the Doctor to the network before the game intended me to do (story-wise), giving me early access to some cool new gadgets and allowing me to build zip line shortcuts between them and across the mountains back to South Knot City, making the next story deliveries way easier.

I also have been exploring old areas and farming BTs, because rebuilding the roads in the Mountains is pretty damn expensive!

CaitSeith:
Still playing Death Stranding. Funny enough, I was able to connect the Robotist and the Doctor to the network before the game intended me to do (story-wise), giving me early access to some cool new gadgets and allowing me to build zip line shortcuts between them and across the mountains back to South Knot City, making the next story deliveries way easier.

I also have been exploring old areas and farming BTs, because rebuilding the roads in the Mountains is pretty damn expensive!

How big is the "world", really? Like it's supposed to be about reconnecting former U.S. territory, but at what scale? How long does it take to get from coast to coast in-game?

hanselthecaretaker:

CaitSeith:
snip

How big is the ?world?, really? Like it?s supposed to be about reconnecting former U.S. territory, but at what scale? How long does it take to get from coast to coast in-game?

Not that big. I haven't made the exact math (and I'm kinda bad at geography), but I think the scale is about 1 to 100. I haven't reached the West Coast, so I haven't tried to walk or even drive from coast to coast.

CaitSeith:

hanselthecaretaker:

CaitSeith:
snip

How big is the ?world?, really? Like it?s supposed to be about reconnecting former U.S. territory, but at what scale? How long does it take to get from coast to coast in-game?

Not that big. I haven't made the exact math (and I'm kinda bad at geography), but I think the scale is about 1 to 100. I haven't reached the West Coast, so I haven't tried to walk or even drive from coast to coast.

You're in luck! Thanks to my googling skills I found out it would take the average human about 928 hours to bootstrap it across the country, so that would be about 9.28 hours on a 1:100 scale.

Still, that's a pretty massive map if that's the case.

What am I playing, you ask? Well, that would be the wonderfully fresh-talgic RE2 Remake. It's quite entertaining and currently has me at a bit of an impasse. It seems I've done everything possible but have not found the few means to:

A. Use the hand jack
B. Close the valve blowing steam
C. Open the cell door to the last medallion statue

I'm guessing even finding one of those might lead to the others, but yeah. I'm not resorting to a guide either, because I'm glad a game is actually challenging my observational skills again instead of pointing everything out for me.

Phoenixmgs:

CoCage:
Loving Darli Dagger. She is now my main for SamSho. I was playing around in some of the extra modes. In time trial, I was able to kill an opponent in two moves. I started with a heavy slash combo and ended the match using her super special. Max was definitely right of you're good enough. He was able to pull it off in one of his matches. Game is fucking awesome!

Cool, I've always preferred a game like Samurai Showdown that's more about trading blows vs waiting/finding an opening to do a long combo that other fighting games are about. I still remember going to the bowling alley as kid playing Samurai Showdown on the NeoGeo arcade machine. I just don't have the time to dedicate to a fighting game now though.

I played a lot of SamSho I & II in the arcade. I remember a kid bringing over a NeoGeo to summer daycare. He had SamSho II, Fatal Fury, and a few other games. Great times.

I got Lumines Remastered a my local Best Buy last weekend. Playing this game again brings me back to my high school days. I used to own both games on PSP, but my brother has them now. I also got Call of Juarez: Gungslinger for Switch. I played a couple of chapters. The game is fun, but problem is sometimes enemies blend in with certain environments making it hard to see and shoot them. It does not happen often, so far, but it's annoying.

Aha! I figured it out.

The game's actually made me jump a few times; the latest being when I was searching the East Office and a zombie shattered the window right next to me. Good thing I had it boarded up.

Happyninja42:

I've currently got Titanfall 2 loaded up on standby for when I finish Horizon: ZD, because I keep hearing it's really good, and I really want to listen to the banter between the pilot and the mech. I remember seeing one clip of the mech basically telling some other soldier to piss off, when they suggested the mech be assigned to a "real soldier" and the mech, in a wonderfully sassy, but totally logical AI voice was like "Negative, this unit has adapted to our current pilot, combat efficiency would suffer greatly if I were to be reassigned." And the pilot was like "yeah! I like him too!" I just really loved the idea of the mech saying "nope, we're buddies, we just spent a lot of time working together and forging a combat brotherhood, you are not separating us." xD

I hope the dialogue is like that throughout, because if so I'm going to love the game.

You're going to love the gameplay mechanics and levels of TF2. Better thany nearly any COD campaign. The dialogue option you'll love too. Trust me.

Chimpzy:
Dusted off the old OG Xbox and decided to give Ninja Gaiden Black another go, with the intent on finishing it. First thought, this game's combat system hold up so well and the controls are so super crisp. Second thought, jeezes fucking cruftnuggets, is it also hard as balls.

Hafta finish that too. Barely played the first three missions. If you think that's bad, Ninja Gaiden II is so much worse and unfair in difficulty.

Played more SamSho last night and completed Gauntlet mode with Shiki. I've beaten arcade mode once with Haohmaru. I've got to try with other characters.

I got a trophy for it. I'm getting better with the game's mechanics. Learning how to use Just Defends more to build the Rage meter. I still have to learn the timing of the sword catch when weaponless, but it's hard to do on a controller and not an arcade stick.

Finally unlocked the No Healing Trophy in RE2Remake. I did it on Normal, but I do not care. There is no way I'm doing a no healing run on Hardcore. Also, I unlocked the Chasing Jill Trophy last week that came with the update.

Got back into Dark Souls 3, and just beat Pontiff Sulyvahn. Took a couple hours and then some, but I was also a couple levels below the recommended for fighting him. He reminded me a bit of Fume Knight, only more aggressive and with a sidekick. He easily puts "tough" classic bosses like O & S to shame as well mainly because there's no room in the environment for cheesing or catching a breather. This was probably the first boss that rivaled some of Bloodborne's best as far as style, difficulty and overall screen presence.

I've been also wanting to get back into Witcher 3 but am prioritizing getting through Dark Souls 3 first, mainly because I know the former is a much bigger game.

Finished My Time at Portia. There's a decent plot driving you to develop your workshop and give you something to do other then make money just to upgrade your house and equipment. It's definitely designed as a "take it slow" game considering even if you're pushing the main missions hard the game deliberately slow paces the plot. I ended up having plenty of times between certain missions to build up inventory in prep for the next one due to this. And it's a long game but doesn't really seem like it. So while it's not stardew valley, it feels like a good companion game with a different focus. My biggest gripe is that unlike Stardew you're pretty much forced into doing Dungeon runs if you want to finish the storyline and the combat system is very...meh. It probably explains why the combat is generally rather forgiving because the devs knew that part of the game wasn't particularly tight. There are certain materials you can only consistently find in dungeons(valves and carbon fiber) that are required to finish certain mandatory commissions to advance the story-line.

Started Sekiro and while it's definitely an adjustment from the Souls games, I'm enjoying it so far. I guess it helps that I haven't played a souls game for a year or so and the last one was Bloodborne. I also went into it with the mindset that aggressive action and deflection/parries are extremely important and forget about the "roll, circle and buttpoke until dead" method of the souls games. I'll know soon enough if I'm still enjoying it as I go. I keep hearing it's hellishly difficult but so far it's a smoother ride then Dark Souls 2 or even Bloodborne was at this early stage of the game(I haven't reached the first real boss yet, just explored a bit past the dilapidated temple). I died once to the miniboss in the torturial area and once in the Outskirts when I allowed myself to get surrounded by some mooks and ganked to death.

Just finished the Shadow of the Colossus remake.
From a gameplay/mechanical perspective it's better in almost every way to the original, but when it comes to aesthetics there are some problems. Wander's face in particular looks awful, some of the lighting on some Colossi is a bit wonky in both cutscenes and gameplay, and some areas of the game weren't as pretty as i remember them looking in the original. Overall though I thought it was a good remake.

Shank 1 & 2
Double Dragon Neon
Battlefield 1

ChupathingyX:
Just finished the Shadow of the Colossus remake.
From a gameplay/mechanical perspective it's better in almost every way to the original, but when it comes to aesthetics there are some problems. Wander's face in particular looks awful, some of the lighting on some Colossi is a bit wonky in both cutscenes and gameplay, and some areas of the game weren't as pretty as i remember them looking in the original. Overall though I thought it was a good remake.

Man, I just thought it looked beautiful, but I'd be damned if I ever finished the remake. I hit the bane of my existence, the colossus you fight in the geyser field, and just didn't have the willpower to take that sucker down. I'll need to give it another go at some point.

Two games, Pokemon Sword first. God damnit did GameFreak choose the worst game to make the choice to cut the national dex. The game looks really nice on Switch and as long as you aren't online, runs really nice too. Raids and the wild area are amazing ideas and I think they executed both very well. Not to mention all the other cool quality of life changes they've made as well. I'm thirty-five hours in and see quite a bit more coming as I try and catch some of them all!

Jedi: Fallen Order. I suck at Dark Souls games, I feel like this may be the intro I need. The fact I'm able to change the difficulty is really nice at helping me really enjoy the game and get a feel for how it works. Story is a bit bland, but I'm really enjoying what I've played so far.

I recently finished up both Stories: The Path of Destinies and Omensight.

They both have a similar game concept, which is that of playing through a story path, discovering information, and then Groundhog Day Looping/Live.Die.Repeat-ing your way to the best ending. The concept works pretty well, although I felt Omensight did a stronger job of having an engaging story, rather than Stories' seeming to rely more on "what happens if I make THIS choice" to add replay value.

While I hesitate to call the characters fully developed, they still all came off as fairly likable, and had at least enough depth to not be able to be described in a single phrase, which is always a plus. That said, I do have to ding Omensight a bit for going with the "silent protagonist" approach with The Harbinger, although she does have a pretty cool design, and having characters comment on the silence worked pretty well, and got some chuckles out of me.

I can't say these games are truly great, however. The basic combat mechanics are serviceable, but it can be frustrating when, say, four enemies in a row attack you, but you get briefly stunned if you dodge 3 times. Plus, fixed camera angles + platforming can be a real issue in Omensight (Stories doesn't bother with platforming).

That said, if you want a decent time to kill a few hours, these games are not a bad choice, even at "full price" ($15 for Stories, $20 for Omensight). I do want to point out that each game's cast is made up entirely of anthropomorphic animals, if that's a thing that bothers you. Harbinger up there is as human as they get, and even then, there is in-game confusion as to what exactly she is.

Alright, time to talk Outer Worlds. I 100% it but need a few days to mull it over. And now am playing Fallout 4. TBH, there isn't that much difference between the two games. I can only assume that when people are talking about being a great Fallout game, they must be comparing it to Fallout 76. 90% of it is simple fetch/kill quests. Also, many bugs and a couple of crashes. You know, exactly like Fallout 4.

I was going to start this by calling it Mass Effect: Borderlands. I got distracted matching it with Fallout 4 but it is incredibly like Andromeda. Much of the time is just building up settlements. Monarch is probably the most interesting setting, with flora being the highlight. But all half built buildings looked exactly the same making ruins incredibly boring. And every town is on the outskirts of the map, which makes no sense. They don't seem to have a huge influx refugees feon so many settlements failing. And none have any personality. Like, Rivet City is bad but at least it has some character. And how are all these very large creatures travelling across the system? Mass effect has the same problem too.

The only interesting companion is Pavati but you spend a stupidly long time doing her dating side quest for an utterly useless perk. They have powers like Mass Effect but to such a limiting extent, I am wondering why they put it in at all. I really like how they can buff your stats...

So... I ended up with a bunch of clothing in my backpack that would buff stats. Did anyone else do this? Before talking to someone, I would disrobe and rerobe in front of rhem into more... effective gear. I found it pretty hilarious.

Other than Phineas, Sanjar, Moon Saleman and the Sublight Salvage leader, most of the characters were lackluster. There's no Duarance, Conrad Marburg, Mr House or Caesar here.

I did go off and explore. I accidentally found quest items and automatically finished quest once I found the quest giver. That's fantastic. It doesn't happen all the time but it never happened everytime with Skyrim/Fallout. I did circumvent the route to Monarch through the dangerous landing pad. I think treking through dangerous areas works much better with quite a few levels under your belt.

Anyway, despite all my complaints, I still had some fun. I might still give it an 8/10.

Just restarted Ocarina of Time, and started Ace Combat 7. I crashed into the ground in the first mission because I didn't know how to turn a plane properly. Apparently, Ace Combat 7 doesn't come with a tutorial, or at least not much of one.

Going after the last couple Valkyries before the queen in God of War. Just beat the take no damage trial and am looting Niflheim for some better gear before deciding if I want to go after that Valkyrie or the Muspelheim one first.

Now into The Witcher 3 again. As good as it is, it's really a "kitchen sink" kind of game design, and a bit sloppy as a result. Makes me appreciate the more succinctness of God of War quite a bit. A couple things about the questing bother me where the leveling in terms of progression is misleading, or at least not as descriptive as it should be. For example, I want to do the Wolf gear scavenger hunt, and it says the "suggested" level is 14. I'm at 13 thinking it's quite doable. However, the tracking just takes me to a border post with a fast travel, yet nowhere else is marked. After googling it turns out I need to be at level 14 to even access Kaer Morhen. Never explained in the journal.

To add further insult to injury, whenever I complete a side quest, the tracker defaults me back to the "Destination: Skellige" main quest, which has a "suggested" level of...uh...16.

FFS.

Makes me want to go back to Dark Souls 3.

leet_x1337:
started Ace Combat 7. I crashed into the ground in the first mission because I didn't know how to turn a plane properly. Apparently, Ace Combat 7 doesn't come with a tutorial, or at least not much of one.

I'd suggest using the 'expert' (which is poorly named) controls if you aren't already.

trunkage:
Alright, time to talk Outer Worlds...

Anyway, despite all my complaints, I still had some fun. I might still give it an 8/10.

I'm playing Outer Worlds now and it really is the equivalent of, as SkillUp put it, "RPG chicken soup for a generation sick of live-service garbage." It's a competent RPG that works but does everything average or just above average or just below average. The best element of the game is easily the visual design. The writing is just fine, it's trying so hard to be Firefly it's not even funny. It's overblown with RPG systems it doesn't need, I'm level 12 and haven't even used half the game's systems like I haven't repaired anything yet, I haven't upgraded a weapon yet, I haven't installed a mod, I haven't used a consumable (I sell them all except that standard health thing). I find myself having to go through my inventory like once a half hour just junking all the garbage. The combat is also just fine and I can honestly just do without it. With all that said, the game does feel comfy and cozy, and I want to keep playing and look forward to playing more, and totally fits that Todd Howard meme of "It just works" because it does just work. For me it's a 6/10 game so far and I'm sure it'll stay that way unless the writing takes an unexpected jump up in quality.

hanselthecaretaker:
Now into The Witcher 3 again. As good as it is, it?s really a ?kitchen sink? kind of game design, and a bit sloppy as a result.

I've been saying that for years. Most of its game systems are just there because that's what all other RPGs have vs actually fitting the game itself.

Playing Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

It was free, so why not, eh? Didn't know anything about it going in, other than setting and being stealth-focused. Turns out its basically Commandos/Desperados cept in feudal Japan. Ace, been like what, 15 years since we've had one of those that's actually good? Anyway, it really hits the spot. Been in a bit of a game slump lately, nothing really satisfying lately, and playing something slow and methodical like this is really refreshing.

Chimpzy:
Playing Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

It was free, so why not, eh? Didn't know anything about it going in, other than setting and being stealth-focused. Turns out its basically Commandos/Desperados cept in feudal Japan. Ace, been like what, 15 years since we've had one of those that's actually good? Anyway, it really hits the spot. Been in a bit of a game slump lately, nothing really satisfying lately, and playing something slow and methodical like this is really refreshing.

That's kinda what I heard about it, and while I haven't played Commandos/Desperados I do have them in my GOG backlog because of course I do. Another game I'm looking forward to playing(I missed it on the giveaways but already bought it on sale from GOG a year ago so its fine regardless).

Shadow Warrior 2 - Finally got a chance to play this game. I was always waiting for a good sale, and PSN has this for $9.99 until the 17th. Definitely, better than the Shadow Warrior (2013). The pacing I felt was too slow in the beginning the controls didn't gel with me. I'm still early, but this open-world looter shooter I find way more interesting than any of the Borderlands. Lo Wang is hilarious and has some of the best wisecracks and lines in an FPS. He is high up there with Grayson Hunt and Serious Sam. This game should of had a physical release like the first game. I would proudly put on my gaming bin with the likes of Doom (2016) and Titanfall 2.

Dalisclock:

Chimpzy:
snip

That's kinda what I heard about it, and while I haven't played Commandos/Desperados I do have them in my GOG backlog because of course I do. Another game I'm looking forward to playing(I missed it on the giveaways but already bought it on sale from GOG a year ago so its fine regardless).

I'm having a rewarding time with it. Word of warning tho, this type of game is pretty trial & error and messing up tends to make continuing the mission significantly more difficult, if not unfeasible.

It notable also doesn't seem to have an autosave function, so best hover them fingers of F5 and F8. No worries tho, it's very intent on reminding getting you to quicksave. Don't F5 for a minute or so and a timer pops up at the top of the screen telling you how long it's been. It also gives you 3 quicksaves instead of the usual one. Honestly, don't think I've played a game that basically openly encourages you to save scum.

I finished RE2 Remake just recently and had a great time. I figured all of the glowing reviews couldn't be wrong and was pleased to find that was the case. I picked up Vermintide 2 and Civ 6 to play with my buddies during the Steam sale so that's what I'm focusing on now. It's my first Civilization game and it is dense. I'm having fun learning but it's definitely an adjustment from games like Total War.

Before these games I had been plucking away at Ace Combat 7. I'd like to get back to it and finish but I was beginning to feel a bit bored with it. The missions are pretty samey and the checkpoints are spaced very far apart. I was sort of on a Top Gun kick (what with the new one coming out and all) and wanted to scratch the dog-fighting itch. Now that it's been scratched my motivation to continue is low.

Oh yeah, and I re-installed Skyrim to finally mess around with mods via Nexus mods. It's pretty cool just how easy it is to drastically modify the game both mechanically and aesthetically.

Well, I was recently gifted the Witcher 3...so I decided that I'd finally actually play through the Witcher 1, which has been sitting in my library for a few years now, as I gave up my first attempt pretty quickly. Figure I should probably play through the first two games before I play 3.

Nioh was one of those games I was just too busy for back in the day it had just come out and it eventually just kinda went by the wayside but they actually put it up on ps+ free games a while back and I finally decided to give it a shot. Loving it to death so far. The souls/sekiro comparisons are easy to make but Nioh is more of a fantasy samurai game with a lot less realism about it and the hype anime flair you'd expect if you grew up watching shows like Rurouni Kenshin or Samurai Deeper Kyo like I have. I'm loving exploring all the fighting styles and learnin moves and the way your stamina meter is re-imagined as a Ki gauge is really fun. Giving you stances that alter how weapons and even dodging works is also a great way of breathing life into the genre.

Finally, storywise it's interesting how they meld various cultures and they do this thing where you have characters speaking their own languages as you go. It feels really authentic when the British are speaking English but the Japanese actually speak Japanese and weren't dubbed in English for god knows what reason lol. Though I'm pretty damn early as I just begun the game yesterday so I have only glimpsed a tiny bit at the entirety of the plot. Will post updates when relevant. :P

I finally finished Death Stranding. It took longer than I expected to reach the ending; Chapter 12 was like "if you think you can do this alone, you're gonna have a bad time", and Chapter 14 delivery was a tear-jerker.

So, been overseas, been playing Metroid II. No, not the remake, the original. Up to the queen, but I might have to call it quits, as I never found the screw attack. I think at this point I'm literally unable to beat the game unless I do an awful lot of backtracking, to which I say "screw that."

Anyway, had fun. Well, sort of. It's probably my second least favourite Metroid game at this point.

Asita:
Well, I was recently gifted the Witcher 3...so I decided that I'd finally actually play through the Witcher 1, which has been sitting in my library for a few years now, as I gave up my first attempt pretty quickly. Figure I should probably play through the first two games before I play 3.

Good luck. The first game is really rough and is not easy to like. The plot is good but god there's a lot of other places the game needs work, most of all the combat system.

I'd personally recommend just skipping to Witcher 2 and watching a LP of the first game, but otherwise I'd recommend dumping a lot of skill points into IGNI(the fire spell). It works in almost all situations and by god you're gonna need the help.

Dalisclock:

Asita:

Good luck. The first game is really rough and is not easy to like. The plot is good but god there's a lot of other places the game needs work, most of all the combat system.

I'd personally recommend just skipping to Witcher 2 and watching a LP of the first game, but otherwise I'd recommend dumping a lot of skill points into IGNI(the fire spell). It works in almost all situations and by god you're gonna need the help.

It depends on how forgiving you are for awkwardly experimental combat mechanics. It's not nearly as bad once you get into it's rhythm, and accepting Geralt moving around like a geriatric who just filled his diaper and can't scale ankle high obstacles. The BioWare engine didn't do it any favors, but I'm still fond of the original game for its questing, characters, old school inventory system and atmosphere. The Enhanced Edition is also vital and should be standard by now, and I think they even bundle the director's cut (also well worth it) in on Steam.

How's Sekiro going? I decided to go through Dark Souls 3 + DLC before I play any more of it. The combat is pretty thrilling and I love the mobility. There is a very satisfying ebb and flow to the sword fighting and parrying can also be slopped a bit by sort of butterfly-tapping the shoulder button for the more unpredictable attacks. Probably about half dozen bosses in and can't wait to get back into it, but Aldrich is calling me back. For a melee build he's easily rivaling some of Bloodborne's toughest. Pontiff Sulyvahn was aggressive but at least I always had stamina to actually fight him vs wasting most of it chasing him around the room.

hanselthecaretaker:

How?s Sekiro going? I decided to go through Dark Souls 3 + DLC before I play any more of it. The combat is pretty thrilling and I love the mobility. There is a very satisfying ebb and flow to the sword fighting and parrying can also be slopped a bit by sort of butterfly-tapping the shoulder button for the more unpredictable attacks. Probably about half dozen bosses in and can?t wait to get back into it, but Aldrich is calling me back. For a melee build he?s easily rivaling some of Bloodborne?s toughest. Pontiff Sulyvahn was aggressive but at least I always had stamina to actually fight him vs wasting most of it chasing him around the room.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Some of the bosses have been frustrating as hell(That Damn Bull got me for like an hour until I realized trying to bullfight him with my deflect isn't a bad idea) and I've noticed there's a suspicious lack of high ground in a lot of these arenas(and a fog gate as well, for reasons).OTOH, the large ham on the horse was very fun to take down even if it did take me a few tries.

It's definitely a Souls game but I do appreciate the movement options, the ability to easily disengage from combat if things are going south, the ability to stealth kill at least some of the assholes in my way(and lop off a significant portion of most bosses Health Bars) and even more importantly, the ability to bypass regular mooks pretty easily on my way back to the boss battle so I don't have to spend 5 minutes fighting the assholes in my path or leaving my back dangerously exposed when I can just go straight back to the boss. Granted, the fact a number of these chuckleheads come with their own little fan club you probably need to kill first to avoid getting ganked is probably the big drawback to this.

I'm still not super good at the sword fighting(which I'm reminded of trying to fight the blue samurai dudes in the castle) but I feel like I've done decently well thus far(learning how to abuse the prosthetic tools helps). I've finally made it into the Castle Keep and I'll say I kinda miss those fucking Anor Londo Archers after dealing with the Gargoyle ninja fuckers on the castle rooftops. At least the archers were only really an issue for like one stretch and if you got past the one, you were safe. There's like a dozen nightjars to get past to get inside the castle(and then there's that guy who divebombs you for the Lulz).

That and I've finished almost the entire Hirata estate and I've tried fighting Lady Butterfly but I've got other things to explore and fight before I'm ready to go deal with her. I'm not sure what exactly I get out of taking her out, but I presume she does need to be dealt with eventually. There's a couple of mini-bosses nearby that are probably easier take win first.

Dalisclock:

hanselthecaretaker:

How?s Sekiro going? I decided to go through Dark Souls 3 + DLC before I play any more of it. The combat is pretty thrilling and I love the mobility. There is a very satisfying ebb and flow to the sword fighting and parrying can also be slopped a bit by sort of butterfly-tapping the shoulder button for the more unpredictable attacks. Probably about half dozen bosses in and can?t wait to get back into it, but Aldrich is calling me back. For a melee build he?s easily rivaling some of Bloodborne?s toughest. Pontiff Sulyvahn was aggressive but at least I always had stamina to actually fight him vs wasting most of it chasing him around the room.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Some of the bosses have been frustrating as hell(That Damn Bull got me for like an hour until I realized trying to bullfight him with my deflect isn't a bad idea) and I've noticed there's a suspicious lack of high ground in a lot of these arenas(and a fog gate as well, for reasons).OTOH, the large ham on the horse was very fun to take down even if it did take me a few tries.

It's definitely a Souls game but I do appreciate the movement options, the ability to easily disengage from combat if things are going south, the ability to stealth kill at least some of the assholes in my way(and lop off a significant portion of most bosses Health Bars) and even more importantly, the ability to bypass regular mooks pretty easily on my way back to the boss battle so I don't have to spend 5 minutes fighting the assholes in my path or leaving my back dangerously exposed when I can just go straight back to the boss. Granted, the fact a number of these chuckleheads come with their own little fan club you probably need to kill first to avoid getting ganked is probably the big drawback to this.

I'm still not super good at the sword fighting(which I'm reminded of trying to fight the blue samurai dudes in the castle) but I feel like I've done decently well thus far(learning how to abuse the prosthetic tools helps). I've finally made it into the Castle Keep and I'll say I kinda miss those fucking Anor Londo Archers after dealing with the Gargoyle ninja fuckers on the castle rooftops. At least the archers were only really an issue for like one stretch and if you got past the one, you were safe. There's like a dozen nightjars to get past to get inside the castle(and then there's that guy who divebombs you for the Lulz).

That and I've finished almost the entire Hirata estate and I've tried fighting Lady Butterfly but I've got other things to explore and fight before I'm ready to go deal with her. I'm not sure what exactly I get out of taking her out, but I presume she does need to be dealt with eventually. There's a couple of mini-bosses nearby that are probably easier take win first.

IIRC the places from Wolf's past have more to do with fleshing out the story and character building than anything. The big drunk dude before her gave me trouble, but by the time I beat MB I felt like I could've taken him out no problem. She required enough precision that I finally started to get the sword play.

Sekiro does a better job of teaching you its main fighting mechanics than SoulsBorne, perhaps mostly because it is more a pure action-based game than action/rpg. The combat system is more deliberate, whereas there is a myriad of viable ways you could approach your character build in earlier FROM games, so it kinda diluted the core gameplay there in a way. Basically trading variety for more polished, focused game design. I remember an article stating the fact that it's single player only being a big reason they were able to do this too.

Pathologic - Seems weird and good so far, but I might have to come back to it with a walkthrough. Advice online says that I should play the first route in the first game, and then routes 2+3 in the second game which seems a bit counterintuitive, but ok.

The Elder Scrolls Legends - Game has stopped active development, but I really enjoy this card game.

Playing some Devil May Cry 5. Still fun as always. Trying some unique combos for Nero.

DmC Definitive Edition - Also fun, and makes for great relaxation session. I always just play it on Gods Must Die now. I rarely ever touch the lower difficulties aside from maybe Dante Must Die.

Kill La Kill IF - I haven't touched it in a while. There was some DLC that finally came out with Mako and another set of characters. Mako is busted and fun as fuck. I don't think there is much online anymore, but I'm fine going against the CPU or doing the challenge modes.

hanselthecaretaker:

Dalisclock:

hanselthecaretaker:

IIRC the places from Wolf?s past have more to do with fleshing out the story and character building than anything. The big drunk dude before her gave me trouble, but by the time I beat MB I felt like I could?ve taken him out no problem. She required enough precision that I finally started to get the sword play.

Sekiro does a better job of teaching you its main fighting mechanics than SoulsBorne, perhaps mostly because it is more a pure action-based game than action/rpg. The combat system is more deliberate, whereas there is a myriad of viable ways you could approach your character build in earlier FROM games, so it kinda diluted the core gameplay there in a way. Basically trading variety for more polished, focused game design. I remember an article stating the fact that it?s single player only being a big reason they were able to do this too.

Yeah, I know some people aren't big fans of it, but I'm fine with the fact they decided Sekiro was a ninja and built the game around that instead of the other souls games where you can spec any way you want to but only some of those are really worth the time and effort to do so(though I'm sure some people are really into making a bow-only build work). Then again, I'm probably a lazy bastard in that I'll look for the most efficient way to make the bad guys dead in a game centered around combat and that will become my go to until I find an even more efficient way to make them dead faster. I think I finished like 90% of Bloodborne with the Saw Clever because it worked just fine and only occasionally tried another weapon when I was getting wrecked a bit too much. In Dark Souls once I got the BK Halberd that was pretty much all I used for the rest of the game.

And while there's a few times I wouldn't have minded the ability to summon help, I'm honestly glad I don't have to worry about being invaded and harassed by assholes on a regular basis. I particularly hated that aspect of DS2 and am glad FROM has chosen to just go SP only for this outing.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here