What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 NEXT

Phew...finally beat Aldrich. Slightly under leveled at 48, he didn't leave much room for error and I gave up wasting Embers. Once ridiculously overwhelming, eventually I knew when to dodge and where to stand during all his various attacks, and the bastard finally fell to my trusty Astora SS. Kinda haunting going back up to the balcony.

Now after checking out Irithyll Dungeon it's probably back to Smouldering Lake to take out the Demon King.

Been in that Nathan Drake collection, or the first game of it so far as I should try to commit this time before jumping to sequel and never going back. It hadn't aged as poorly as had anticipated, of course with a few enhancements am assuming. And the quipping is more restrained to odd moments than a certain demo had thoughts thinking. It's more the gameplay feel that shows its age, in a mostly charming "game from the past" sort of way, until trying that particular combo the screen loves to tell me works, but really doesn't because when I press triangle after pressing square for an attack, fuckbugger all happens and the relieved bad guy gets a lethal hit in for the 20th time.
Also, this is probably a personal issue, but often get the impression the game wants me to be a leapy gun-grabby salmon all over the place during firefights in open arenas, but you get killed quicker than the CCTV tapes to Epstein's cell for being out in the open on anything above normal difficulty, regardless of the salmon leap. So just tend to gravitate towards hiding behind the first few bits of cover like the coward I am, treating it as a conservative shooting gallery. It works as a simple shoot the baddy bads for coming off of pain medication well enough though. Not sure why ppl are so hung up on the guy being a murderer, as everyone appears to be shooting at me first, and to be honest a constant barrage of angry bullets do entice one's self-preservation instincts to kick in a bit.

Neurotic Void Melody:
Been in that Nathan Drake collection, or the first game of it so far as I should try to commit this time before jumping to sequel and never going back. It hadn't aged as poorly as had anticipated, of course with a few enhancements am assuming. And the quipping is more restrained to odd moments than a certain demo had thoughts thinking. It's more the gameplay feel that shows its age, in a mostly charming "game from the past" sort of way, until trying that particular combo the screen loves to tell me works, but really doesn't because when I press triangle after pressing square for an attack, fuckbugger all happens and the relieved bad guy gets a lethal hit in for the 20th time.
Also, this is probably a personal issue, but often get the impression the game wants me to be a leapy gun-grabby salmon all over the place during firefights in open arenas, but you get killed quicker than the CCTV tapes to Epstein's cell for being out in the open on anything above normal difficulty, regardless of the salmon leap. So just tend to gravitate towards hiding behind the first few bits of cover like the coward I am, treating it as a conservative shooting gallery. It works as a simple shoot the baddy bads for coming off of pain medication well enough though. Not sure why ppl are so hung up on the guy being a murderer, as everyone appears to be shooting at me first, and to be honest a constant barrage of angry bullets do entice one's self-preservation instincts to kick in a bit.

Ha, yeah and it's based off the Indiana Jones movies anyways where he too didn't feel all that bad for shooting angry baddies.

I hold a special nostalgia for the original being one of the most charming modern age titles, no matter how it ages. It started humbly and turned into one of the best action/adventure series of all time imo. Still has some of the best levels and puzzles too. I already Platinum'd the original but since the ND Collection is *free* this month, I might just see what that new added difficulty mode is all about.

Neurotic Void Melody:
Also, this is probably a personal issue, but often get the impression the game wants me to be a leapy gun-grabby salmon all over the place during firefights in open arenas, but you get killed quicker than the CCTV tapes to Epstein's cell for being out in the open on anything above normal difficulty, regardless of the salmon leap. So just tend to gravitate towards hiding behind the first few bits of cover like the coward I am, treating it as a conservative shooting gallery.

These games lack a way of resetting the damage indicator, and it runs counter to the jack-of-all-trades, runny, jumpy shooting. It should've had a particular move (melee take-down or whatever) that's high risk, but heals you/resets the damage indicator if you succeed. This is unfortunately never really adressed in the sequels, though it is slightly mitigated in Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy due to the controls being way more fluid and the larger arenas allowing for dipping in and out of combat more easily.

Just beat Kingdom Hearts 100% for the third time (first time to playing on Proud Mode and the Final Mix version).
I doubt I'm ever playing the game again so here're my final impressions of it.

*The only meaningful difference with the Final Mix version, apart from the upgraded graphics (nothing they can do about those water effects though), is how the control scheme now reflects the more improved scheme from KH2. I also like how they ironed out a couple of "permanently missable" things that used to bug me about the original, if you're into 100% at all.

*Sephiroth and the optional bosses like Zisa and Phantom remain the toughest battles in the game, giving some depth to the character loadout and requiring a minimum of strategy and restraint in a game that is otherwise pretty button-mashy. Then again, once you max out at Lv. 100 you can brute-force big chunks of those fights. Zisa is probably the easiest too.

*Proud Mode definitely keeps you on the tips of your toes, especially towards the beginning and once the difficulty scales up after Hollow Bastion. Again, you have to be very disciplined about timing your dodging, healing, casting, parrying and attacking. Most enemies at the beginning can kill you in one or two hits, so things can go south pretty quickly if you're being reckless.

*Synthesis drops take some fairly aggressive grinding, but nothing like the BITCH that it is to get a Defender shield to complete the collection. Only one enemy drops it, with chances at 0.2%. You can improve the odds all the way to a whopping 0.5%, tops. I had to murder nearly 1K Defenders before they dropped two shields in a row. Guess the odds check out, since 0.5% means 1 in 500.

*I miss when the story of Kingdom Hearts was as simple as the first game. The secret movie that plays at the end of the credits has all these masked characters (retconned in from future games) acting all cool and aloof and unimpressed about everything while cryptic nonsense flashes on screen, Evangelion style. I hate how anime the series got over time.

Casual Shinji:

Neurotic Void Melody:
Also, this is probably a personal issue, but often get the impression the game wants me to be a leapy gun-grabby salmon all over the place during firefights in open arenas, but you get killed quicker than the CCTV tapes to Epstein's cell for being out in the open on anything above normal difficulty, regardless of the salmon leap. So just tend to gravitate towards hiding behind the first few bits of cover like the coward I am, treating it as a conservative shooting gallery.

These games lack a way of resetting the damage indicator, and it runs counter to the jack-of-all-trades, runny, jumpy shooting. It should've had a particular move (melee take-down or whatever) that's high risk, but heals you/resets the damage indicator if you succeed. This is unfortunately never really adressed in the sequels, though it is slightly mitigated in Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy due to the controls being way more fluid and the larger arenas allowing for dipping in and out of combat more easily.

It should've been pretty easy too considering the "damage" Nate takes isn't even damage at all. A luck meter is pretty ingenious for a game like this actually. It makes the fading screen/health regen concept seem perfectly fitting, and they could've easily capitalized on it by certain moves like counter attacks, headshots, platforming feats, etc. serving as meter resets.

Neurotic Void Melody:

I know a gameplay feature that is unique only to the first game, where getting a melee kill with a certain button combo, nets you more ammo for the weapon Drake has equipped. That is a feature they should have kept. Honestly, the platorming killed me more than the gunfights on Normal mode anyway. Brutal is a different story.

Side note: The pistol in Uncharted 1 is OP asfuck!

So I beat Metroid II. I had more...satisfaction, if not fun, then I thought I would, but it's still my second least favourite Metroid game. And yes, I beat the queen without having to backtrack to get the screw attack. Whoot.

Anyway, back to Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Sigh...

Wanted: Weapons of Fate. My God this an early, low budget, Gears clone and it shows. The CG cut-scenes look like an early SFM movie, there is screen tearing the CG and gameplay cinematics, and it has the Unreal brown/yellow piss filter in most of the stages. It's the first time I've played this game and I already beat it. The game is about 2-3 hours long. I like short games, but I would have not paid $60.00 for this back in 2009. This should have been at budget price for $30. I got it for $3.

Wanted is one of the better cover shooters from last gen, despite its budget. You can snap and slide in to cover. Hell, you can go vertical or slide diagonal in to cover with a button press and tilting the Left stick depending on the direction you're facing. The cover system works like a prototype Vanquish, except this no dedicated slide button. You can do the bullet curves too. They are really satisfying and cathartic. You get them by killing enemies, and you can upgrade the them after beating end level bosses. The bosses themselves are weak and nothing special. They're glorified enemies with health meters. Stranglehold had way better bosses by comparison.

There could have been more potential for this game. The only weapons Wesley/Cross can get are pistols/dual pistols/dual sub-machine guns with explosive rounds. You can't pick up other weapon, but ammo is fine, and you can't throw grenades. It kinda sucks as that would have been a fun concept to curve assault rifle ammo, or shotgun pellets. There will never be a sequel so, we're never going to see that unfortunately. Decent movie-tie in game, and part of a bygone era of AA quality games.

I've finally relented and started playing Resident Evil 7. I've had a negative bias toward it since day one, since its first-person perspective just looked like Capcom tried to capitalize on the first-person indie horror (which I hate) craze, and seemingly replaced zombies and cool creatures with black goop monsters. So yeah, I never bothered with it.

Till now. And so far it's pretty good. I think the opening is a bit too sluggish, but once your in it it feels like good old fashioned RE. I hate the maneuverability though, especially during monster encounters. I already can't look behind and neither do I have any peripheral vision, and that coupled with Ethan moving like a damned shopping cart makes for less than desirable fights.

The save room music is terrific however.

Sega Genesis Mini - I got this practically for free. Traded in some old Genesis games that were mediocre or not that great. The store I went to had it on sale for $50, and with bonus store credit and a $5 coupon, it was worth it. Sega had outdone themselves with the mini. I think SEGA AM2 handle the emulation, and it shows the high quality. They normally did the emulation for Sega games on XBLA, PSN, and eShop. SG Mini has more variety than the SNES mini, but there are a couple duds, and a few why didn't X game on the roster. They should have put the first Streets of Rage and Revenge of Shinobi on the SG Mini for legacy reasons. SG mini has neat feature where switching the region of the game causes you to play that version of the game. Switching from Hard Corps to the Japanese version makes it easier, or the PAL region play the censored version. I will be having lots of fun with this.

hanselthecaretaker:
Phew...finally beat Aldrich. Slightly under leveled at 48, he didn?t leave much room for error and I gave up wasting Embers. Once ridiculously overwhelming, eventually I knew when to dodge and where to stand during all his various attacks, and the bastard finally fell to my trusty Astora SS. Kinda haunting going back up to the balcony.

Now after checking out Irithyll Dungeon it?s probably back to Smouldering Lake to take out the Demon King.

How do you like DS3 so far? It was originally on my list to play before Sekiro because I've had it for a year or so now and it sounds interesting and looks gorgeous. I figured I'd finish off Souls before I started something else but then a friend gifted me Sekiro for Christmas and I felt "Well, I might as well jump into Sekiro and see what the fuss is about".

I don't regret my decision to play Sekiro but now I know I'm not gonna play DS3 for at least a few months since I tend to have to let these games settle a bit before moving onto the next one. Not to mention the Time commitment and difficulty tends to make me want to take a break anyway.

I'm not done with Ashina castle yet, partially because I noticed Ashina castle is where the game starts to branch out so I started exploring and opened paths to the Abandoned Dungeon, the Sunken Valley and the Senpou Temple/Mt Kongo. Though pretty soon I'm gonna have to start killing mini-bosses/bosses again to proceed, or just to keep pace with the difficulty curve. I do have some neat new prosthetic toys to play with, including the umbrella and the spear, both of which apparently are very helpful in certain fights.

One thing that kind of bugs me is how the "Idol Rest/Enemies Respawn" mechanic doesn't quite feel like it works as well logically in this game as it did in Souls. Presumably when you rest at an idol the guards and such reinforce from off-screen while you're resting, but considering how the terrian is laid out in this game I have to wonder how. The Ashina outskirts are particularly bad here because there only seems to be 2 ways on and off them and in both cases, the bridges are out(and it appears deliberately so). So presumably the guards are reinforcing from the castle yet there doesn't seem to be any feasible way for them to cross that chasm to do so and there's only a few buildings along the way it looks like could hold any guards.

I'm playing Final Fantasy VII port for the Switch. It's been decades since last I played it and I kinda wanted to replay it, but I don't have nostalgia for the PS1 version, because the first version I played was the PC version (so jagged edges on the models are a big turn down for me). So far, so good. I just finished Cosmo Canyon and I remembered that the concept of Spirit Energy was used on the movie Final Fantasy: Spirit Within.

Dalisclock:

hanselthecaretaker:
Phew...finally beat Aldrich. Slightly under leveled at 48, he didn?t leave much room for error and I gave up wasting Embers. Once ridiculously overwhelming, eventually I knew when to dodge and where to stand during all his various attacks, and the bastard finally fell to my trusty Astora SS. Kinda haunting going back up to the balcony.

Now after checking out Irithyll Dungeon it?s probably back to Smouldering Lake to take out the Demon King.

How do you like DS3 so far? It was originally on my list to play before Sekiro because I've had it for a year or so now and it sounds interesting and looks gorgeous. I figured I'd finish off Souls before I started something else but then a friend gifted me Sekiro for Christmas and I felt "Well, I might as well jump into Sekiro and see what the fuss is about".

I don't regret my decision to play Sekiro but now I know I'm not gonna play DS3 for at least a few months since I tend to have to let these games settle a bit before moving onto the next one. Not to mention the Time commitment and difficulty tends to make me want to take a break anyway.

I'm not done with Ashina castle yet, partially because I noticed Ashina castle is where the game starts to branch out so I started exploring and opened paths to the Abandoned Dungeon, the Sunken Valley and the Senpou Temple/Mt Kongo. Though pretty soon I'm gonna have to start killing mini-bosses/bosses again to proceed, or just to keep pace with the difficulty curve. I do have some neat new prosthetic toys to play with, including the umbrella and the spear, both of which apparently are very helpful in certain fights.

One thing that kind of bugs me is how the "Idol Rest/Enemies Respawn" mechanic doesn't quite feel like it works as well logically in this game as it did in Souls. Presumably when you rest at an idol the guards and such reinforce from off-screen while you're resting, but considering how the terrian is laid out in this game I have to wonder how. The Ashina outskirts are particularly bad here because there only seems to be 2 ways on and off them and in both cases, the bridges are out(and it appears deliberately so). So presumably the guards are reinforcing from the castle yet there doesn't seem to be any feasible way for them to cross that chasm to do so and there's only a few buildings along the way it looks like could hold any guards.

A while back I posted about feeling a bit burnt out on Souls myself, but after venturing a bit further in DS3 it's safe to say I've been drawn back in. The combat is as good as Bloodborne but with the added benefit of solid defensive options again (I've always been partial to good ol' sword n board and physical parrying though). I do miss the regain mechanic but the new weapon arts are fun and allow for interesting experimentation.

The environments are some of the best in the series, at least from an artistic standpoint. I've probably spent an hour or two of my total play time so far (about 58 and counting) just standing around observing immediate play spaces and how they segue into distant vistas, wondering if that's where I'll end up later. The main criticism would be what others have said about the trademark loop-de-loop cleverness not being as obvious or prominent this time, as Miyazaki himself lamented. They're still there, but it leads into the other main criticism I'd have about it being very familiar by now in terms of game and level design. Not a fault of Dark Souls 3 itself as it's the *last* of a trilogy, but more that we as fans know what to expect going in. Having said that, I'm hoping there are still a few surprises.

If there's one thing FROM appears to have knocked out of the park here besides being the most playable SoulsBorne game, it would be the bosses. I've only tackled a bit over half of them if we throw in the DLCs, but apparently they get even better towards the end. Gaming wise there's nothing quite like finally learning a tough boss and seeing that warm fuzzy message on screen with accompanying sound effect after they fall. Beating Pontiff Sulyvahn is what probably brought me all-in again. Design-wise these bosses are nicely varied and that often follows through in their attack patterns. Sometimes the most effective strategies have involved using the environment.

So yeah. Highly iterated SoulsBorne gameplay, fantastic environments, lore secrets with bonus nostalgia, excellent bosses, all in a highly familiar form that kinda feels like a farewell tour of sorts. The different nostalgic touches are of course fan service, even though I'm not sure how some of it fits in lore-wise. Perhaps more than ever, DS3 has intrigued me to watch more of what Vaati Vidya has found.

Speaking of, I'm not sure if he has anything pertaining to the spawn logic in Sekiro, but the "karmic justice" explanation from a Reddit user probably gave the best reasoning otherwise.

hanselthecaretaker:
Ha, yeah and it?s based off the Indiana Jones movies anyways where he too didn?t feel all that bad for shooting angry baddies.

I hold a special nostalgia for the original being one of the most charming modern age titles, no matter how it ages. It started humbly and turned into one of the best action/adventure series of all time imo. Still has some of the best levels and puzzles too. I already Platinum'd the original but since the ND Collection is *free* this month, I might just see what that new added difficulty mode is all about.

The platforming-esque challenges were refreshingly tricky, but Nate is a sticky bugger and it has led to more than a few triumphant leaps to his death when attempt to move away from cover in a panic.

Casual Shinji:

That would be a neat idea, kinda like the Doom health recovery but without the invincibility frames. The health does feel a bit meatier in the sequel though. Not by much, but just enough to avoid total cowardice in firefights.

CoCage:
I know a gameplay feature that is unique only to the first game, where getting a melee kill with a certain button combo, nets you more ammo for the weapon Drake has equipped. That is a feature they should have kept. Honestly, the platorming killed me more than the gunfights on Normal mode anyway. Brutal is a different story.

That explains why the pistol in the sequel felt so pithy. The original had secretly conditioned me!
Wasn't aware of the ammo move, luckily had no issue with finding any though, and the guns all felt effective enough to not worry about swapping on the fly too. Probably the only game I've used an Uzi by choice in since the original Perfect Dark.

CaitSeith:
I'm playing Final Fantasy VII port for the Switch. It's been decades since last I played it and I kinda wanted to replay it, but I don't have nostalgia for the PS1 version, because the first version I played was the PC version (so jagged edges on the models are a big turn down for me). So far, so good. I just finished Cosmo Canyon and I remembered that the concept of Spirit Energy was used on the movie Final Fantasy: Spirit Within.

I've been going through a bit of a Final Fantasy binge myself over the past 10 months or so. Replayed FFVII and FFIX, and played FFX and FFXII for the first time. I also finally finished FFVIII as I had never actually completed it as a kid.

I love the original FFVII, and appreciated being able to play it in handheld mode on the Switch, but I have to say that the Switch port kinda sucks. It is really unstable and would randomly freeze on me all the time. The FFIX Steam port has similar issues (perma black screen randomly when initiating a battle). Oddly enough I finished FFVIII on the Switch without a single crash or freeze. Seems to be the best PS1-era FF port they have made so far imo.

Fappy:
Oddly enough I finished FFXIII on the Switch without a single crash or freeze. Seems to be the best PS1-era FF port they have made so far imo.

Wait a second... is there a FFXIII Switch version?

CaitSeith:

Fappy:
Oddly enough I finished FFXIII on the Switch without a single crash or freeze. Seems to be the best PS1-era FF port they have made so far imo.

Sorry, that was supposed to be VIII. Messed up my roman numerals, lol.

Nearing the end of Judgment. Like it a lot. Seems a bit slower paced than Yakuza but has the same structure of seemingly unrelated plot events slowly coalescing into a web of intrigue that gets wilder and wilder the more the story progresses before it throws a final curveball. The dragon engine looks amazing as well though combat feels a bit less tight due to animation priority. Some of the side stories were fun but I never really found them as hilarious as in the Yakuza series. The stealth sections sucked as well.

Still, I'm amazed how rya ga gotoku studio can release such quality titles at such a radical consistency. They must have a hyper efficient production pipeline.

CoCage:

It's because headshots are the only things that matter as it takes way too many body shots to kill so it doesn't really matter what gun you use as long as you get the headshot. Thus, ARs are really just pistols that hold more ammo. Uncharted 1 is just a tech demo.

Fappy:

CaitSeith:

Fappy:

Sorry, that was supposed to be VIII. Messed up my roman numerals, lol.

No problem. I had to confirm because, with the amount of ports the Switch has, I wouldn't be surprised if FFXIII arrived to the Switch one of these days.

Phoenixmgs:

CoCage:

It's because headshots are the only things that matter as it takes way too many body shots to kill so it doesn't really matter what gun you use as long as you get the headshot. Thus, ARs are really just pistols that hold more ammo. Uncharted 1 is just a tech demo.

So? Still a good game. The only bad things about UC1 are dated motion controls (thankfully removed in the collection), small random QTEs, two boring chapters late in the game with nothing but grey, and some bad checkpoints. Otherwise, it earned its reputation. Lots of games feel like or were tech demos compared to their successors. Parasite Eve was a tech demo for FF VIII, Devil May Cry 1 was a concept for RE4 that splintered in to its own thing, RE4 feels like a tech demo compared to its sequels or games that copied the RE4 formula, and The Bouncer was a tech demo for FF X.

Played more of the Ninja Saviors (Switch version). I finally beat the game with Yaksha. The Dummy TH1CC ninja android. The only thing that sucked was that my 1CC run got ruined. I hate how they do the checkpoint leading up to the final boss. I should not be fighting enemies before reaching the boss. It's not that bad as other games, but annoying when trying to beat the game as other character. I finally unlocked all the music tracks. So now I can play the game with the Ninja Warriors Arcade ost or the Ninja Warriors Again OST. Also, I never thought I'd see the day where I can play a SNES remake with a 6 button Sega Genesis controller. The game works so much better than the deault controllers or the HoriPad Pro the matter.

CoCage:

Phoenixmgs:

CoCage:

So? Still a good game. The only bad things about UC1 are dated motion controls (thankfully removed in the collection), small random QTEs, two boring chapters late in the game with nothing but grey, and some bad checkpoints. Otherwise, it earned its reputation. Lots of games feel like or were tech demos compared to their successors. Parasite Eve was a tech demo for FF VIII, Devil May Cry 1 was a concept for RE4 that splintered in to its own thing, RE4 feels like a tech demo compared to its sequels or games that copied the RE4 formula, and The Bouncer was a tech demo for FF X.

The only Uncharteds I consider good games are UC2 and Lost Legacy. Uncharted, like God of War, needs to be firing on all cylinders to be good because the core gameplay alone can't carry it by itself. Uncharted is basically a PS1 game with PS3 graphics. It's supposed to have a stealth system because it has in-game achievements (as the game got trophies later) for stealth kills but the enemies all see you once you cross an invisible line, even PS1 Syphon Filters are more advanced in that regard (and those games have aged horribly). The level design in Uncharted is horrible and several areas are basically reused (by adding waves of enemies) to artificially extend the game past like the 5-hour mark. The game has like no set-pieces, possibly only the one where you shooting enemy vehicles with a grenade launcher (IIRC). The jet ski sequences are soooooooo bad. The only good elements are the graphics and characters. I recall the twist in the sub? (it's been awhile) being well done and pretty atmospheric plus the enemies aren't bullet sponges so automatic guns perform like they should. Also, it does have the best melee in the entire series. The core shooting is about as whack-a-mole-ly as you can get. And, I played the game on release, it was bad then so it has nothing to do with playing it years after release.

It was just a tech demo IMO because that's all they had was the tech of making it look good, none of the gameplay elements that make Uncharted good are actually present in the 1st game. RE4 isn't a tech demo, it's a full-fledged game that is still considered one of the best games ever made; it's got better shooting than RE2 Remake IMO. The only thing that's dated about RE4 is that the left stick was actually used for aiming (but it was fine then because there was no standard shooting controls so it didn't feel awkward), I'm guessing the re-releases have changed that as I only ever played it on PS2.

Phoenixmgs:

CoCage:

Phoenixmgs:

The only Uncharteds I consider good games are UC2 and Lost Legacy. Uncharted, like God of War, needs to be firing on all cylinders to be good because the core gameplay alone can't carry it by itself. Uncharted is basically a PS1 game with PS3 graphics. It's supposed to have a stealth system because it has in-game achievements (as the game got trophies later) for stealth kills but the enemies all see you once you cross an invisible line, even PS1 Syphon Filters are more advanced in that regard (and those games have aged horribly). The level design in Uncharted is horrible and several areas are basically reused (by adding waves of enemies) to artificially extend the game past like the 5-hour mark. The game has like no set-pieces, possibly only the one where you shooting enemy vehicles with a grenade launcher (IIRC). The jet ski sequences are soooooooo bad. The only good elements are the graphics and characters. I recall the twist in the sub? (it's been awhile) being well done and pretty atmospheric plus the enemies aren't bullet sponges so automatic guns perform like they should. Also, it does have the best melee in the entire series. The core shooting is about as whack-a-mole-ly as you can get. And, I played the game on release, it was bad then so it has nothing to do with playing it years after release.

It was just a tech demo IMO because that's all they had was the tech of making it look good, none of the gameplay elements that make Uncharted good are actually present in the 1st game. RE4 isn't a tech demo, it's a full-fledged game that is still considered one of the best games ever made; it's got better shooting than RE2 Remake IMO. The only thing that's dated about RE4 is that the left stick was actually used for aiming (but it was fine then because there was no standard shooting controls so it didn't feel awkward), I'm guessing the re-releases have changed that as I only ever played it on PS2.

Nice to see another Syphon Filter fan. UC1's boat and vehicle sections can go to hell. Don't play them on Brutal. If you do, look up a guy called Seraphim17.

The only Uncharted I dislike is 4, but that mainly because of Sam Drake and Nadine. You will never get me to like them Naughty Dog! I still consider 2 the best in the series, even if UC4 improved the stealth immensely. Lost Legacy I have still yet to play, and the only reason I am going to play is for Chloe. So I will get LL at some point.

As for RE4, congratulations, you just played the worst console version of RE4. Yes, the Wii and GC versions are better than the PS2 version. Look it up. I know RE4 is not a tech demo, but feels like one by comparison to most things that came afterward. Plus, RE4's pacing I never liked or cared for, because it goes at a snails pace when late in the castle area and the part with the military island. Then again, I was not that enamored with the game. I never hated it, but some people (Yahtzee, Movie Bob, & Sterling) go overboard with the praising and act as if the other mainline REs (7 is the exception for the three I just mentioned) don't matter or were too stupid. This attitude is more so a problem from Yahtzee & Bob. With Bob coming off with that know-it-all contrarian "the other games were too anime or silly". Even though RE4 has plenty of things you would only see from a Japanese studio. At least Sterling emphasize how important the older RE titles are and acknowledges their achievements.

CoCage:
Nice to see another Syphon Filter fan. UC1's boat and vehicle sections can go to hell. Don't play them on Brutal. If you do, look up a guy called Seraphim17.

The only Uncharted I dislike is 4, but that mainly because of Sam Drake and Nadine. You will never get me to like them Naughty Dog! I still consider 2 the best in the series, even if UC4 improved the stealth immensely. Lost Legacy I have still yet to play, and the only reason I am going to play is for Chloe. So I will get LL at some point.

As for RE4, congratulations, you just played the worst console version of RE4. Yes, the Wii and GC versions are better than the PS2 version. Look it up. I know RE4 is not a tech demo, but feels like one by comparison to most things that came afterward. Plus, RE4's pacing I never liked or cared for, because it goes at a snails pace when late in the castle area and the part with the military island. Then again, I was not that enamored with the game. I never hated it, but some people (Yahtzee, Movie Bob, & Sterling) go overboard with the praising and act as if the other mainline REs (7 is the exception for the three I just mentioned) don't matter or were too stupid. This attitude is more so a problem from Yahtzee & Bob. With Bob coming off with that know-it-all contrarian "the other games were too anime or silly". Even though RE4 has plenty of things you would only see from a Japanese studio. At least Sterling emphasize how important the older RE titles are and acknowledges their achievements.

UC1's Hard is pretty much Crushing in the other games.

I hated 3 so very much because the story and writing are just so bad, I could go on and on about that (Sully is extremely inconsistent in 3 compared to 2 for example). 4 I also didn't care for the story nor Sam Drake, Nadine wasn't really in it enough to really care either way about her. I really hated that you played a chapter (a boring one too) that never even happened. And, the gameplay in the open areas felt like a poor man's Metal Gear Solid. Also, way too much climbing along with barely any set-pieces.

RE4 basically invented over-the-shoulder shooting and the TPS and sure other games took that framework and ran with it. However, RE4 took it as far as it needed for the type of game it is; RE2 Remake is basically the same exact shooting 2 generations after RE4. I'm not a huge RE4 fan or even RE fan (I only played RE4 and RE2 Remake); I think RE4 is really good, not near GOAT material though. I can't really comment on the series on the whole, though I do remember a Jim Sterling video saying RE4 has the humor that the later games don't. I do feel Jim Sterling is bad at actually analyzing game mechanics (just read his Vanquish review). I do always enjoy MovieBob's takes even if I completely disagree with them though.

Phoenixmgs:

CoCage:

UC1's Hard is pretty much Crushing in the other games.

I hated 3 so very much because the story and writing are just so bad, I could go on and on about that (Sully is extremely inconsistent in 3 compared to 2 for example). 4 I also didn't care for the story nor Sam Drake, Nadine wasn't really in it enough to really care either way about her. I really hated that you played a chapter (a boring one too) that never even happened. And, the gameplay in the open areas felt like a poor man's Metal Gear Solid. Also, way too much climbing along with barely any set-pieces.

RE4 basically invented over-the-shoulder shooting and the TPS and sure other games took that framework and ran with it. However, RE4 took it as far as it needed for the type of game it is; RE2 Remake is basically the same exact shooting 2 generations after RE4. I'm not a huge RE4 fan or even RE fan (I only played RE4 and RE2 Remake); I think RE4 is really good, not near GOAT material though. I can't really comment on the series on the whole, though I do remember a Jim Sterling video saying RE4 has the humor that the later games don't. I do feel Jim Sterling is bad at actually analyzing game mechanics (just read his Vanquish review). I do always enjoy MovieBob's takes even if I completely disagree with them though.

I am aware of the impact Resident Evil 4 had. I was 15 when it came out and I bought it at launch. If you want some good insight on things RE. I recommend Avalanche or Sphere Hunter on YouTube. They are way better than Yahtzee or Moviebob. I've been read Jim Sterling's review on Vanquish. That's what made me dislike him at first. But he actually sook to improve himself. I'll still have my disagreements with them, but I can enjoy Sterling more than I can Moviebob.

CoCage:
I am aware of the impact Resident Evil 4 had. I was 15 when it came out and I bought it at launch. If you want some good insight on things RE. I recommend Avalanche or Sphere Hunter on YouTube. They are way better than Yahtzee or Moviebob. I've been read Jim Sterling's review on Vanquish. That's what made me dislike him at first. But he actually sook to improve himself. I'll still have my disagreements with them, but I can enjoy Sterling more than I can Moviebob.

The one thing I'll always like about Jim Sterling is his honesty with convey his feelings about a game, as he actually scores a game based on his enjoyment vs 7+/10 for everything. He was one of the best professional game reviewers just because how bad all the other ones are. His overall game analysis is not near the better video game Youtubers. Matthewmatosis' God of War 4 video highlighted literally exactly everything that made me dislike the combat system. Jim Sterling would never make a video diving deep into the mechanics of really any game.

Been playing a boatload of Space Station 13. Been running a Botanist trying to make MoneyPlants, Omega Weed, Organ Trees and hopefully exploding tomatoes.
Although usually I just grow a huge amount of bananas and give them to the clown.

Took a quick break from Sekiro to play an oldie, THe Journeyman Project:Pegasus Prime. It's basically a remake(2nd in fact) of the original game to bring the production standards of the game up to the level of it's sequel. Sadly, the results are quite mixed.

The presentation in some ways is a lot better, especially with the video clips(granted, they don't look great by today's standards but by 1990's video game standards the clips look pretty good) and the game was expanded out a bit from the original. Unfortunately, it's still fairly obtuse as far as puzzles are concerned and even if you know exactly what you're doing it takes a lot of jumping around between time periods to get everything done. Which wouldn't be such a bad thing if you weren't forced to go through the level all over again each time you return to a time period and watch the same animations over and over again(almost none of which are skippable). The game also added some on-rails vehicle segments that weren't in previous versions and they don't actually add much. Instead, they come across as more annoying because instead you have to hit QTE prompts each time and if you fail one prompt you crash and die.

It took me about 4-5 hours to finish. I suspect it would have took me half the time without the incredibly slow walking speed(like 5 steps each move), the need to retraverse each time period every time you get there, some of the insta-fail QTEs during the on rail segments(the one on mars is the worst), and having to watch the same killer robot animations over and over again, which are also SLOOOOWWWWWW, because you can't just skip them threatening you before just walking off even if you've seen it 10 times before. It's a short game but it feels like it's a lot longer then it should be(and by god that's some kind of accomplishment)

So it's pretty much a wash overall. It doesn't help this was the weakest game in the series even before the remake and there's little the remake does to fix that. But I felt I owed to myself to try it since I like the series and hoped the remake would fix some of the flaws in the first game. It turns out that this is one of those series you can just skip the first game and not miss much.

And now back to throwing myself against Lady Butterfly and the Armored Warrior in Sekiro, both of which are blocking my forward progress.

Phoenixmgs:

CoCage:

The one thing I'll always like about Jim Sterling is his honesty with convey his feelings about a game, as he actually scores a game based on his enjoyment vs 7+/10 for everything. He was one of the best professional game reviewers just because how bad all the other ones are. His overall game analysis is not near the better video game Youtubers. Matthewmatosis' God of War 4 video highlighted literally exactly everything that made me dislike the combat system. Jim Sterling would never make a video diving deep into the mechanics of really any game.

Wut. Lotta contradiction going on there me thinks.

Fallout 4. Just comparing this to Outer Worlds I played last month. I have played F4 before but never the expansions. I still haven't done any Nuka World yet

Let's get this out of the way. F4 dialogue system is atrocious. Only 4 dialogue option, one usually exit the conservation, doesn't make for an RPG experience.

Also, everything is much more serious in Fallout. Which is not always good or bad. Yes, you re not having as much jokes but god I got over Outer Worlds 'dripping personality' pretty quick, just like Borderlands. Handsome Jack had one good joke and it was near the start. Outer Worlds repeats the exact same joke ad nauseum. But you also get over the 'everything's bad' Fallout... oppressiveness.

OW moment to moment dialogue is better written but the overall world building needs more fleshing out. Each company only has a bare bones personality. It's also on the first in a series, so this may improve.

Anyway. On to the review. I spent about 100hrs on it and am now starting to get bored. I also haven't reach the Institute yet. So I'll have to go by memory on what it's like.

Let's talk perks. Outerworlds perks are usually stat boosts. Fallout also has stat boost, but with a huge variety of new skills. Before I continue, I got to level 50 without picking anything that would help me kill enemies better. Community leader, hack robots, investing, speech skills were my first choice. After, I picked an ability to hold breath for better scope sniped and a knockdown effect, making larger targets easier pickings. The perks system is so expansive that I, at level 85, still have plenty of perks I want to invest in to increase the range of style I play. There is plenty of opportunity to role play here when discussing stats and skills.

I heard a comment about OW stating that it allows player choice to deal with situations. F4 has plenty of that. The first major dungoen Corvega car factory has a back door to break into, plus a sewer pipe and a upper entrance. All with thier own challenges and pros. Since I picked dialogue skills first, you see many more choices that I didn't expect. But there are no 'Intelligence' dialogue option, or similar options for chosen skills. OW really capitalized on this.

The major faction have far more motivation and personality in F4 than OW. The big bads in OW were so comically bad, I literally couldn't understand their point of view. No one, in reality, would think like that. F4 has more understandable faction, even if they, too, are exaggerated for effect. But people like Runjay in Monarch was better than most individuals in these factions. Both Iconoclast leader were pretty trash. So swings and roundabouts.

Also, Phineas plan is really stupid. How is unfreezing people going to help? Did I miss the part where the original colonist only unfroze the stupid people so they can't help themselves. And why does literally no one care about their own predicament? Sure, they join in the end but no one is interested in their own self preservation during the game. They just so willing to die. The megacorps might be draconian but that SHOULD lead to lots of uprising. But everyone is so blasee about everything. The stupidest part of Fallout 4 is the Institute creating Synths that are copies of humans. Why in god's name would anyone think that's a good idea.

The companions was the biggest surprise for me. Pavati is the only interesting companion. I listened to a review of OW by Stardock last night. He stated a companion he liked, Ellie. It took me minutes to recall who that even was. Liam from Andromeda is far more memorable than Felix. In fact, I just called him Liam. There was also EVE, drunky, Shepherd Book and some other person I forgot. F4 has some bad companions. It also has Deacon, the Garrick of Fallout. Danse's companion quest is great. Valentine is a great detective and generally well written.

Also worth noting that companions 'pass out' when defeated during combat in OW. I remember people saying Fallout 4 should never have done that. And it shows up here in OW. Without outcry.

Anyway, 100hrs is a long time to play one game and it's generally been fun (I have done about 6 radiant quest so I'm not doing useless quests.) Still fun 8/10.

Sonic Mania Plus. It's nice to finally have a physical copy of Sonic Mania with all the content on disc. Sega, why didn't you just do this earlier? What's worse is Sega's now phasing out the new copies of Mania with the standard versions of vanilla Sonic Mania. That means without the bonus content, no Ray or Mighty (unless you want to pay the DLC), and no encore mode. So if you want Sonic Mania Plus physically, you have to order on Amazon. Luckily, the prices are affordable and reasonable for now.

I got my copy used from GameStop, and only had to pay $14. Thanks to a $5 coupon offer, and I was able to get the game, the cover, the bonus artbook, and casing in mint condition.

EDIT: I beat the Japanese version of Hard Corps. While still difficult, it is definitely easier than the US version. What helps is that you don't die in one hit, unlike the US version. You take 3 hits before you die. I got the best ending the first time through. I'll go for the other endings later. I'll be going through Castlevania Bloodlines next.

Dalisclock:

Asita:
Well, I was recently gifted the Witcher 3...so I decided that I'd finally actually play through the Witcher 1, which has been sitting in my library for a few years now, as I gave up my first attempt pretty quickly. Figure I should probably play through the first two games before I play 3.

Good luck. The first game is really rough and is not easy to like. The plot is good but god there's a lot of other places the game needs work, most of all the combat system.

I'd personally recommend just skipping to Witcher 2 and watching a LP of the first game, but otherwise I'd recommend dumping a lot of skill points into IGNI(the fire spell). It works in almost all situations and by god you're gonna need the help.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that in another thread, and my understanding has long been that the Witcher 1 is easily the weakest installment. On the other hand, it's also my understanding that the Witcher series has a carryover feature, and I'm a stickler for that kind of thing (see Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Golden Sun, the LoZ Oracle games (if you count those), etc).

That being said, this is a case where I felt it wise to have a finger to a guide so as to minimize the rockiness. So it's less that I'm having difficulty with the game than it is that the pacing feels atrocious due to the obligatory 'grind out a few levels before you complete the quests' segments. For instance, I think I was level 11 whenI finally made it to the Temple Quarter (starting Chapter 2), and was advised to start farming Graviers in the sewer crypts until I hit level 15. So that's a few hours of fighting 4 monsters, running back to the campfire, meditating for an hour to refresh their spawns and repeating, with occasional runs up to the Slums to earn a small amount of extra coin by boxing. Perils of being overcautious, perhaps. Still, the fact that grinding is recommended at all speaks to some of the game's mechanical issues.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE# Encore

It's supposed to be Persona + Fire Emblem, but from the 3 or so hours I've played so far it's more like 95%+ Persona and the remainder is Fire Emblem cameos. Though it also drops the Persona dating sim-like gameplay. That's ok tho, it makes for a more relaxed experience where you don't need to worry about completed x objective before date y. Also seems more lighthearted compared to Persona, which can go pretty dark places. Haven't gotten very far, so it might still come. Very Japanese tho, like avoid if you have an aversion to animu. Still, I'm having a good time so far.

Chimpzy:
Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE# Encore

It's supposed to be Persona + Fire Emblem, but from the 3 or so hours I've played so far it's more like 95%+ Persona and the remainder is Fire Emblem cameos. Though it also drops the Persona dating sim-like gameplay. That's ok tho, it makes for a more relaxed experience where you don't need to worry about completed x objective before date y. Also seems more lighthearted compared to Persona, which can go pretty dark places. Haven't gotten very far, so it might still come. Very Japanese tho, like avoid if you have an aversion to animu. Still, I'm having a good time so far.

Been considering picking this up. My wife played it back when it originally came out for the Wii U, but I think I was playing something else at the time and kind of forgot about it.

I am currently playing through Nier Automata and Doom 2016, and FFX-2 is next on the list after those two. Hopefully I have time to squeeze in Mirage Sessions between the release of Doom Eternal and FF7: Remake. I am a big fan of SMT/Persona and FE, so I would probably enjoy it.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here