What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 NEXT

hanselthecaretaker:

Chimpzy:
snip

This post was rather inspiring. I?ve been so wrapped up in RDR2 Online on PS4 lately but my projector bulb finally burnt out. So while I?ve been waiting for the replacement, I got back into Doom 2016 and am having more of a blast with it than ever. I think the timing is right too, because it was a hectic week and it?s refreshing to play something balls-to-the-wall gameplay-driven.

I really think id struck a great balance in design and feel between old school and new here, and hope it continues with Eternal.

You know, when it first released, I didn't get why so many people were raving about how genius Doom 2016 is. It IMO had to many annoying flaws for that. Seemed like the usual honeymoon delirium that befuddles people every time an above average game is released.

But I sort of get it now. Playing on Nightmare doesn't make those flaws go away, but it does mitigate them. For example, the whole thing about most combat encounters locking you into an arena while enemies spawn in piecemeal is not as glaring when you're too busy preventing pineapple-dicked demons from cornholing your eye sockets to really notice its happening.

I still think Doom 2016 can't hold a candle to OG Doom (then again, few can), but it has risen a fair bit in my estimation. At the very least enough to get me interested in seeing if and how Eternal chooses to adress some or all of its flaws.

control: what a lovely janitor. what a lovely game. so many documents. must read them all

stardew valley: oh god. what have I done.

I'm not completely done with Sekiro because I still have yet to take down the Sword Saint, and right now there's some kind of "Global Pandemic" or somesuch that's making it hard for me to get game time in but since I've pretty much seen everything but the ending I feel like I can talk about it a bit.

Really ended up enjoying Sekiro and it's a nice change of pace from the Soulsbourne series. The Boss fights mostly feel top notch, it feels more streamlined other then some grinding in the midgame to upgrade my tools and skills a bit. I appreciated a lot of the bosses actually had a personal connection to Sekiro, which is kinda necessitated by the fact Sekiro is effectively wiping out everyone who he used to work for/with, including his abusive father. The world is beatifully put together and the reuse of certain arenas feels well justified. It does beg the question that the only reason any of this happened is because none of Sekiros Superiors just told him "Just go and kill all of our enemies" instead the whole harassing Kuro for his power they spend the game doing and getting killed over.

On the downside, the mini-bosses feel very copy-paste overall. For ever O'Rin of the Water and Armored Warrior, there's a Samurai General or a Headless Ghost with a few brothers somewhere else. Hell, almost every mini-boss has at least a twin who fights almost exactly the same way. The normal bosses aren't entirely immune to this either. The Corrupted Monk is fought twice, once as an "Illusion/Astral Projection" because...sure, and the Guardian Ape is fought again as essentially a remix of the first fight, but in this case, the 2nd phase is both phases as once with the Ape calling a buddy who does the 1st phase of the first fight while the headless ape continues to use the 2nd phase. At least it tried though, which is more then most of the mini-boss repeats did.

It also feels like a lot of the mechanics aren't nearly as well justified as the Soulsborne series. The Enemy Respawn upon Death/Rest mechanic and why everyone but the bosses respawn doesn't feel like it makes any sense or is justified and exists because that's why Dark Souls did, the DragonRot is more of an annoyance then anything else once you realize it doesn't really do much and nobody will ever die from it, the whole Hirata Estates area doesn't make sense regardless if it's a memory or some kind of time travel and the Time Zones thing feels just weird in general. In Bloodbourne it made sense but here it's like it's supposed to be a single day but some of the things that happen feel like they should be taking far more time then just the time you were sitting there chilling at an idol(the Shopkeeper suddenly getting a bunch of new stock because you mentioned Salt to him is a big offender). The fragmentary lore felt like it didn't quite jive as well with the surface plot as the earlier games, especially since stuff like the Black Blade has little or no context if you weren't giving the right people Sake or talking everyone to the point of repeating themselves, so if you were just going through the game and relying on cutscenes, the Black Blade comes out of nowhere when you fight Sword Saint. And what was going on with Sekiro in the 3 years between the Hirata attack and when he woke up in the cave got no explanation at all, that I could tell. It's just there, presumably as a DS reference.

Admittedly, I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly what's going on with the Divine Heir Kuro and his relationship with Ashina. Is he a hostage? Is he part of the Ashina clan? Where does he get his Divine Heritage? The fact he's in a guarded hut with a cage in it makes him look like a hostage but he also has a sword which isn't something a hostage normally has. He might be a part of the family but everyone seems content to bully him for his power with nobody really backing him up besides Sekiro. It's the problem with putting the story front and center like this when previously most of the story was told through lore. I suspect it's why GRR Martin is helping write Elden Ring, because Sekiro shows they need to work on their writing chops a bit.

I don't know if it's fair to compare it to the Soulsbourne series but I'd put it as below Bloodbourne, above Dark Souls 2 and I'm still unsure how I would compare it to Dark Souls. Demons and Dark Souls 3 I don't have enough playtime with to factor in yet.

Dalisclock:

Admittedly, I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly what's going on with the Divine Heir Kuro and his relationship with Ashina. Is he a hostage? Is he part of the Ashina clan? Where does he get his Divine Heritage? The fact he's in a guarded hut with a cage in it makes him look like a hostage but he also has a sword which isn't something a hostage normally has. He might be a part of the family but everyone seems content to bully him for his power with nobody really backing him up besides Sekiro.

Kuro is part of the Hirata clan, who were conquered by the Ashina at some point and now Genichiro is constantly trying to convince Kuro to give him his power.

ChupathingyX:

Dalisclock:

Admittedly, I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly what's going on with the Divine Heir Kuro and his relationship with Ashina. Is he a hostage? Is he part of the Ashina clan? Where does he get his Divine Heritage? The fact he's in a guarded hut with a cage in it makes him look like a hostage but he also has a sword which isn't something a hostage normally has. He might be a part of the family but everyone seems content to bully him for his power with nobody really backing him up besides Sekiro.

Kuro is part of the Hirata clan, who were conquered by the Ashina at some point and now Genichiro is constantly trying to convince Kuro to give him his power.

I got that(though I was under the impression the Hirata was a cadet branch rather then..I guess it's effectively the same, really). It was more of sometimes he's treated like a hostage and sometimes they defer to him as Lord, which feels really odd. I mean, I know he can be both and Nobles being hostages isn't exactly a new thing, it just feels like this particular facet of the plot isn't very well explained.

Dalisclock:

ChupathingyX:

Dalisclock:

I got that(though I was under the impression the Hirata was a cadet branch rather then..I guess it's effectively the same, really). It was more of sometimes he's treated like a hostage and sometimes they defer to him as Lord, which feels really odd. I mean, I know he can be both and Nobles being hostages isn't exactly a new thing, it just feels like this particular facet of the plot isn't very well explained.

From what I understand the Senpoo monks sacrificed countless children to produce a Divine Heir who could tap into the rejuvenating waters but Kuro is unwilling to share that power with the Ashina to protect it from the Interior Ministry(Tokugawa's forces I guess?). The Ashina clan and their land is also already on it's last legs by the time the game begins and infiltrated by the Interior Ministry. So it makes sense he is both still revered and imprisoned.

stroopwafel:

From what I understand the Senpoo monks sacrificed countless children to produce a Divine Heir who could tap into the rejuvenating waters but Kuro is unwilling to share that power with the Ashina to protect it from the Interior Ministry(Tokugawa's forces I guess?). The Ashina clan and their land is also already on it's last legs by the time the game begins and infiltrated by the Interior Ministry. So it makes sense he is both still revered and imprisoned.

That more or less gels with what I've gotten out of it. It does reinforce my feeling that FROM is better at lore then actual up front storytelling, because in this case the FROM tried to tell a coherent story but still requires lore digging to actually understand much of it. It just feels...disconnected, is all. Kinda like the problem FF13 had but FROM is expected to have good lore(and Sekiro isn't 10 hours of cutscenes).

Oh, that does remind me of two other annoyances I might have mentioned earlier.

-I really liked in the previous Soulsbourne games that you saw a pre-boss cutscene ONCE, when you first meet the boss, saving you time on the inevitable repeated attempts. Sekiro, OTOH, makes you watch certain pre and mid-boss cutscenes EVERY SINGLE TIME you fight them. This is particularly notable in the Genoshiro fights, both of which have a mid-battle cutscene that you'll pretty much end up skipping after the first attempt. I get that both battles had a mid-battle sprite change but there had to have been a better way.....and maybe not make us watch the first cutscene at very least? It feels like a step back from something FROM had down pat.

-So one of my few annoyances with Bloodborne is the fact healing items and ammo were now farmed/purchased despite having a cap on how many you could have at one time. Sekiro brought back the magical gatorade, except now it's in a goard, which I like and even allows you to use supplementary healing items with a cap on how many you could have in battle, which is fine. What I dislike is the fact that spirit emblems have to be farmed/purchased like blood vials/bullets, which again, feels annoying when there's already a cap in place to keep you from spamming the prosthetic(and carrying upgrades are super expensive considering how little they raise the cap).

I'm already spending plenty of time banging my head against bosses. I really don't want to break off because I feel obligated to go grind for SE, especially if I have no other areas to go explore(which arguably Sekiro is good at giving you multiple areas to explore early on so you can always progress in one area if stuck in another.

In fact, this prompted me to install a mod on a FROM game for the first time, expressly at removing the cost of purchasing SE while still maintaining the cap. Some may call it cheating, I consider it a basic QoL feature the game should have by default. Sometimes FROM makes poor design decisions

Anyway, in the meantime, between Sword Saint attempts, I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2. Enjoying it a bit so far and while I'll admit I have't played a D&D type RPG in a very long time(and this feels like D&D just without the brand name), it feels more intuitive then games I played back in the day. I did get hung up at the beginning trying to figure out a good class setup for my party(14 mains and any number of hybrids makes it a bit daunting). I do appreciate the game having multiple difficulty modes to help accommodate those of us who aren't huge D&D buffs as well as people who know the systems inside and out. Especially since the game encourages you to play it multiple times by having only 4 of the 6 in a party each playthrough.

Plot so far is fine, with some good potential but so far it's not exactly keeping me on the edge of my seat. I'm enjoying following up the character origin stories a lot more and the side quests have been generally enjoyable(the writing seems to be good, I think). I picked Sebille as my main and grabbed Fane, Red Prince and Llhose as the rest of my party and I'm curious to see where their stories go. I skipped playing the first D:OS game so I'm not sure how much I'm missing story/character-wise by not having played it.

As someone who has played other Isometric combat games, I do like how terrain features and elevation factor into combat(ranged weapons getting a bonus from the high ground). I have no idea if this has been standard in these types of games before this but it needs to be. It feels like investing in the right skills helps a lot in battles too.

I finally freaking finished Final Fantasy VIII.

It was surprising how useful the Meltdown spell ended up being at the final area. With most of my characters at level 45 (except Squall, who was at 87) it ended up being easier than expected (I had to skip the optional boss tho).

The ending wasn't as satisfying, but the trippiness was fitting for how the level of convolutedness ramped up near the end to the point that it literally wrapped the fabric of space-time. And, hey, at least Zell finally got his hotdogs!

Next game in the list: Final Fantasy XII.

Far Cry 5

It was a blast. One mission had me defending a plane taking of with one buddy in a helicopter, raining down missiles and one sniper running interference for the troops in the trees. I'm laying down mines and traps while engaging in CQC with the few stragglers. the plane lifted off and added to the chaos with bombing and strafing runs. Not many games ever make me feel like a badass (Looking at you Borderlands.) This is one of 2 in my entire life.

8/10

As to story, I think it worked well. I found the endings unsatisfying, and not like Far Cry 3 and 4, which were meant to be unsatisfying. I did like the Only You version. But I think that whole region was the best and kinda regret doing that first. I also love me some Cheeseburger, even though Peaches was the one I used more. Add a Bowperson, and I quickly dismantled heavily defended areas.

I like the bunker system, they were really different from each other. The story leading up to this point was good, but there was a lot of teleporting around the map. The siege at the prison was probably the best defence one, and coming back later was very interesting.

This game actually made me want to play New Dawn. I never even considered playing that game, but now, its on my books

Now, finally onto the game I wanted to play but have been putting off since the show, having these 4 open world side track games - Witcher 3.

Still grinding out granblue versus. Incidentally, it got its trailer for the next upcoming char who is gonna be out in about 2 weeks and MAN are they going ham with this dude.

Everything about this guy is awesome and hilarious at the same time.

Ive been trying to keep playing Doom Forever, but its just not clicking for me. Like the plot is a no-show, which is ironic 'cause it keeps showing me plot I'm supposed to know about but don't. I met some dude named the Betrayer and he betrayed the Knick Knacks and sided with the Val'Kal'Kla and let his people the CCCzzz die in a great redemption and I have no idea where he's pulling that from. I think its unfair the cast got to play all of the other Doom games Id can't be bothered with making. It feels like jumping in to Season 7 of GoT, but its called season 1 and there was no previous seasons. Just nonsense.

And the gameplay is...trying. It always feels like I'm out of ammo and doing things in the least efficient way possible.

May as well add to the thread by stating that yes, I'm playing Doom Eternal. Though nearly at the end of the game.

Silentpony:
Ive been trying to keep playing Doom Forever, but its just not clicking for me. Like the plot is a no-show, which is ironic 'cause it keeps showing me plot I'm supposed to know about but don't. I met some dude named the Betrayer and he betrayed the Knick Knacks and sided with the Val'Kal'Kla and let his people the CCCzzz die in a great redemption and I have no idea where he's pulling that from. I think its unfair the cast got to play all of the other Doom games Id can't be bothered with making. It feels like jumping in to Season 7 of GoT, but its called season 1 and there was no previous seasons. Just nonsense.

And the gameplay is...trying. It always feels like I'm out of ammo and doing things in the least efficient way possible.

I didn't think anyone really played DOOM for the plot. I thought it was universally agreed you come for DOOM for the Sweet Demon Murder and the plot is just kinda there to kinda explain the Demon Murder(I mean, other then someone's gotta murder them and it might as well be you). I've been informed Eternal has a bit more plot then usual but it's not exactly Mass Effect or Metal Gear Solid.

Dalisclock:

Silentpony:

I didn't think anyone really played DOOM for the plot. I thought it was universally agreed you come for DOOM for the Sweet Demon Murder and the plot is just kinda there to kinda explain the Demon Murder(I mean, other then someone's gotta murder them and it might as well be you). I've been informed Eternal has a bit more plot then usual but it's not exactly Mass Effect or Metal Gear Solid.

But that's the problem. Its not that there isn't a plot, there is and its very detailed with a lot of characters. Its just that the gameplay and cutscenes NEVER show it. You meet the weird robot angel lady and she's all "We meet again baka, don't think I forgot how you didn't show to the swimsuit episode" and I'm all like "Lady its level 2..."

Like there is very clearly a multi-generation long plot going on that all the cast knows, including the Doom Marine who is apparently the Hamlet in this great tragedy, but none of it is shown, given, written or available to the player.

Like I said its like GoT season 7, but only the action scenes, with all the associated plot. Like OMG you fucked your aunt. And the response is "Wait, I fucked who? I have an aunt?" OMG your sister is the queen of shadows. "Wait, I have a sister? Whats a queen of shadows?" and on and on.
This game feels like, story wise, the 3rd or 4th game in a series.

Silentpony:
But that's the problem. Its not that there isn't a plot, there is and its very detailed with a lot of characters. Its just that the gameplay and cutscenes NEVER show it. You meet the weird robot angel lady and she's all "We meet again baka, don't think I forgot how you didn't show to the swimsuit episode" and I'm all like "Lady its level 2..."

Like there is very clearly a multi-generation long plot going on that all the cast knows, including the Doom Marine who is apparently the Hamlet in this great tragedy, but none of it is shown, given, written or available to the player.

Like I said its like GoT season 7, but only the action scenes, with all the associated plot. Like OMG you fucked your aunt. And the response is "Wait, I fucked who? I have an aunt?" OMG your sister is the queen of shadows. "Wait, I have a sister? Whats a queen of shadows?" and on and on.
This game feels like, story wise, the 3rd or 4th game in a series.

The big backfill expositions in the 9th level, if you were wondering.

Cutscenes and an actual present-tense narrative (beyond kill the Hell Priests to stop the bad) pop up around 7.

That said, 2016 had a similar problem. It was just in the middle. Where you just kind of faff around arena to arena for awhile, before suddenly all the storyline characters pop back in for the final act and you get the series of bosses.

playing first doom remake 2016 on the biggest fucking screen I could nick. it's like a wall of glowy high-def giblets. something's gotta alleviate the frustration of being locked in with a needy salivating noise baby and ceebeebies baby TV for most the day. the dwindling neurons are weeping

Replaying Dark Sector for the first time in ages. Seemed fitting as it's about an infection that, while it takes over the protagonist's body, slowly hardens the flesh into a nigh impervious armor and endows him with super abilities, my favorite of which being the Glaive, a tri-blade boomerang (not unlike that found in the 1983 fantasy adventure film Krull) that he can throw to sever heads and limbs making social distancing a moot point. Take that, COVID-19!

Seth Carter:
SNIP

Isn't that kinda absurd? There are 13 levels, we'll tell you the plot around level 9. You'll play the overwhelming majority of the game interacting with a plot you don't know about, but are expected to react to and care about.
That reminds me of FF13 getting good 30 hours in.

Since my lame ass gaming computer can't handle Doom Eternal, I finished up some levels with Project Brutality. Extermination Day and (after much screaming and frustration) Equinox specifically.

Far Cry 5. In a doomsday mood.

Silentpony:

Seth Carter:
SNIP

Isn't that kinda absurd? There are 13 levels, we'll tell you the plot around level 9. You'll play the overwhelming majority of the game interacting with a plot you don't know about, but are expected to react to and care about.
That reminds me of FF13 getting good 30 hours in.

yeah i wasn't really defending the plot drag in the early going, just noting where it does finally kind of sort itself out.

That said, I stand by that its probably about the same with the middle-act of 2016.

Exultia, which was the 2nd level (as I jokingly said while streaming it, returning to Anor Londo, complete wiht gargoyles circling a cathedral in the distance), did give a fair amount of contextual clues to the backstory. You can clearly infer that Doomguy and the Priests both have an origin in the other fantasy land.

Just been told that I wont be working until at least May 31st, so I figure it would be a good time to get into something a little more long-form to what I have been playing recently, so im on Divinity Orgiginal Sin 2.

Im really enjoying myself. The world-building is really well done, and im invested in the characters and setting, even though im only a few hours in. I love how the "classes" are more like pre-sets, and you are free to spec into whatever abilities you like, so long as you invest the points in the right places.

The voice acting is generally solid, and there is so much of it too. Playing Animal Crossing on the side, and their speech is just bleeps and bloops, and yet Divinity has voiced rats that you can only speak to if you have the right trait. Its just a really great touch, when text responses would have been completely adequate and understandable, given the scale.

And the combat itself is a lot of fun, too. The interface is really clear, and the sandbox is really interesting, with lots of different synergies and combinations.

I have no idea how long this game is, but I think its going to be a great time.

Laggyteabag:
Just been told that I wont be working until at least May 31st, so I figure it would be a good time to get into something a little more long-form to what I have been playing recently, so im on Divinity Orgiginal Sin 2.

Im really enjoying myself. The world-building is really well done, and im invested in the characters and setting, even though im only a few hours in. I love how the "classes" are more like pre-sets, and you are free to spec into whatever abilities you like, so long as you invest the points in the right places.

The voice acting is generally solid, and there is so much of it too. Playing Animal Crossing on the side, and their speech is just bleeps and bloops, and yet Divinity has voiced rats that you can only speak to if you have the right trait. Its just a really great touch, when text responses would have been completely adequate and understandable, given the scale.

And the combat itself is a lot of fun, too. The interface is really clear, and the sandbox is really interesting, with lots of different synergies and combinations.

Been playing it on and off myself. It is a REALLY long game, just that first area (island prison place) took me a good 40 hours to do everything in before departing (though I did some things the "hard way" which takes longer to do) and it feels like the prologue of a story when you clear it so we can easily look at a 150 hour game right here.

I'm playing as a polymorpher two handed user, just love those animal skills haha. Turning almighty enemies into chickens that run around helplessly never gets old.

Just one minor tip. If you have a kitty follow you, stay the HELL away from the magisters until you get the perk that lets you talk to animals. I won't spoil what happens but it made for a terrible experience x.x.

Dreiko:

Laggyteabag:

Been playing it on and off myself. It is a REALLY long game, just that first area (island prison place) took me a good 40 hours to do everything in before departing (though I did some things the "hard way" which takes longer to do) and it feels like the prologue of a story when you clear it so we can easily look at a 150 hour game right here.

I'm playing as a polymorpher two handed user, just love those animal skills haha. Turning almighty enemies into chickens that run around helplessly never gets old.

Just one minor tip. If you have a kitty follow you, stay the HELL away from the magisters until you get the perk that lets you talk to animals. I won't spoil what happens but it made for a terrible experience x.x.

It took me about 20 hours to leave Fort Joy but I might have missed a few quests. I was at L8 and didn't have too much trouble with the battles to escape the island.

Polymorphing skills actually are kinda nice no matter what class you play. My ranger uses "Spread your Wings" a lot to get her to the high ground and reposition quickly.

I'm in Chapter 3 and JUST realized you can use those special barrels to coat your weapons(and arrowheads) and give them posion/fire/etc. The game doesn't tell you this at all, you're just expected to figure it out(I learned from one of those youtube vids on useful tips).

Dalisclock:

Dreiko:

Laggyteabag:

It took me about 20 hours to leave Fort Joy but I might have missed a few quests. I was at L8 and didn't have too much trouble with the battles to escape the island.

Polymorphing skills actually are kinda nice no matter what class you play. My ranger uses "Spread your Wings" a lot to get her to the high ground and reposition quickly.

I'm in Chapter 3 and JUST realized you can use those special barrels to coat your weapons(and arrowheads) and give them posion/fire/etc. The game doesn't tell you this at all, you're just expected to figure it out(I learned from one of those youtube vids on useful tips).

Did you free the dragon? That's the main thing people can miss but it's such a cool part lol. I think I was around lvl 10 when I left.

As for what I did that made it harder than it needed to be, I mainly took out every single magister as revenge for the aforementioned cat whose story I will never learn, I ended up stumbling in the final fight (the one where the big worm pops in) randomly while exploring and since I was on a power trip after having murdered every asshole in red I came across up to that point I just went in without the help of the NPC rebels from the hideout. It was doable but it took a looong while to finish that fight lol.

And yeah I have some polymoph stuff on my cleric too but my main char is the prince so it fit to have him be the king of the animal powers lol.

If this game does anything, it's making you feel powerful by putting out enemies that are super OP and letting you become even more OP by the time you defeat them.

Johnny Novgorod:
Far Cry 5. In a doomsday mood.

Oh hey Im replaying that too! Nothing ever gets old about killing cultists. They're like Nazis, just have at, zero morality loss. What mod?

Dreiko:

Dalisclock:

Dreiko:

Did you free the dragon? That's the main thing people can miss but it's such a cool part lol. I think I was around lvl 10 when I left.

As for what I did that made it harder than it needed to be, I mainly took out every single magister as revenge for the aforementioned cat whose story I will never learn, I ended up stumbling in the final fight (the one where the big worm pops in) randomly while exploring and since I was on a power trip after having murdered every asshole in red I came across up to that point I just went in without the help of the NPC rebels from the hideout. It was doable but it took a looong while to finish that fight lol.

And yeah I have some polymoph stuff on my cleric too but my main char is the prince so it fit to have him be the king of the animal powers lol.

If this game does anything, it's making you feel powerful by putting out enemies that are super OP and letting you become even more OP by the time you defeat them.

I did free the Dragon and then he did me a solid later on near the end of the chapter. And yeah, I can see stumbling into that fight with the Magisters and the giant worm would be rough. It's already long to begin with but not having rebels to help probably makes it a bit tougher.

I haven't had any love for the magisters considering the shit they're pulling at Fort Joy but I've been taking them situationally. If I need to murder them, I'll gladly do so but I'll work with them if we have common purpose. Partially because I'm trying not to lock myself out of quests if I can help it, since that seems to be where most of the EXP comes from in this game.

Reapers Coast has been tricky because sometimes I'll stumble into a rough fight and decide "Maybe I should get a few levels and come back later" and I'm still stumbling into new quests all over the place. It's just kinda tricky trying to figure out what order I'm supposed to hit up some of these because obviously some of these fights are supposed to be harder then others but it's tricky to figure out where the high difficulty ones are, leading to some interesting difficulty spikes due to my exploring. I can do the blackpits, the sawmill or the creepy cave on the coast(as well as the tomb under the cememtary) and I'm kinda rolling the dice on what the best order to hit them in.

Dalisclock:

Dreiko:

Dalisclock:

I did free the Dragon and then he did me a solid later on near the end of the chapter. And yeah, I can see stumbling into that fight with the Magisters and the giant worm would be rough. It's already long to begin with but not having rebels to help probably makes it a bit tougher.

I haven't had any love for the magisters considering the shit they're pulling at Fort Joy but I've been taking them situationally. If I need to murder them, I'll gladly do so but I'll work with them if we have common purpose. Partially because I'm trying not to lock myself out of quests if I can help it, since that seems to be where most of the EXP comes from in this game.

Reapers Coast has been tricky because sometimes I'll stumble into a rough fight and decide "Maybe I should get a few levels and come back later" and I'm still stumbling into new quests all over the place. It's just kinda tricky trying to figure out what order I'm supposed to hit up some of these because obviously some of these fights are supposed to be harder then others but it's tricky to figure out where the high difficulty ones are, leading to some interesting difficulty spikes due to my exploring. I can do the blackpits, the sawmill or the creepy cave on the coast(as well as the tomb under the cememtary) and I'm kinda rolling the dice on what the best order to hit them in.

Yeah that's the beauty of the game, at first you despise them but then in the second area you end up having to work with them because otherwise you bring the whole town on your ass and through that it becomes harder to keep hating them as they go on. Right now I see them as convenient people to be on the good sides of. Better than the dumb dwarves and their fantasy nuclear weapons anyhow lol.

That's where I am too and I finished my escapades at this one hugely insane insect place which I thought I'd have to reload back and prepare for and lose an hour or two of gameplay because the things the game throws at you at that stage are just unfair...but barely fair enough where I managed to scrape by and have one of my most memorable dungeon experiences in a long time. There's this part where the game basically splits your party across a map that is dotted with tons of enemies that you can barely take on with your party together and you have to somehow kite the enemies and find a way to regroup. Also it has a lot of freaking locked gates and I had just ran out of lockpicks so I had to bash my way through the gates. Dungeon was almost as frustrating and evil as it was enjoyable haha.

So recently I have been playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses again, this time playing as The Golden Deer having played as The Black Eagles first time around. And I'm having fun with it, its nice seeing the story from a different point of view. I will say this though, I should have started the game on hard, normal is way too easy. There are far too many opportunities for you to level up your units in between the story missions, even if you ignore the side battles that don't cost you any activity points. By the time I get to the story missions my units are so over leveled that all combat is a cakewalk. But I'm still having fun.

Also, I had a plan to finish The Outer Worlds before Persona 5 Royal came out. But that never happened, I have been playing it but getting sidetracked by side missions and again this is another game which gets ridiculously easy on normal.

And Persona 5 Royal turned up about 4 days early (thank you Shopto.net) so I started playing that yesterday. Not too far into it yet as it takes forever to get going, I've been annoying myself by trying to spot what is new and what isn't. But yeah, this was my favourite game when I played it in 2018 so I look forward to putting another 100+ hours into this.

Catfood220:
So recently I have been playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses again, this time playing as The Golden Deer having played as The Black Eagles first time around. And I'm having fun with it, its nice seeing the story from a different point of view. I will say this though, I should have started the game on hard, normal is way too easy. There are far too many opportunities for you to level up your units in between the story missions, even if you ignore the side battles that don't cost you any activity points. By the time I get to the story missions my units are so over leveled that all combat is a cakewalk. But I'm still having fun.

Also, I had a plan to finish The Outer Worlds before Persona 5 Royal came out. But that never happened, I have been playing it but getting sidetracked by side missions and again this is another game which gets ridiculously easy on normal.

And Persona 5 Royal turned up about 4 days early (thank you Shopto.net) so I started playing that yesterday. Not too far into it yet as it takes forever to get going, I've been annoying myself by trying to spot what is new and what isn't. But yeah, this was my favourite game when I played it in 2018 so I look forward to putting another 100+ hours into this.

Royal has a whole extra semester after the end of the original game. It's legit 25% longer. I can easily see it go up to 180 hours or so to do everything in a single playthrough haha.

Replaying Valkyria Chronicles as I wait for Persona 5R to get shipped to me. Also Animal Crossing and some Pokemon Sword.

Dreiko:

Yeah that's the beauty of the game, at first you despise them but then in the second area you end up having to work with them because otherwise you bring the whole town on your ass and through that it becomes harder to keep hating them as they go on. Right now I see them as convenient people to be on the good sides of. Better than the dumb dwarves and their fantasy nuclear weapons anyhow lol.

That's where I am too and I finished my escapades at this one hugely insane insect place which I thought I'd have to reload back and prepare for and lose an hour or two of gameplay because the things the game throws at you at that stage are just unfair...but barely fair enough where I managed to scrape by and have one of my most memorable dungeon experiences in a long time. There's this part where the game basically splits your party across a map that is dotted with tons of enemies that you can barely take on with your party together and you have to somehow kite the enemies and find a way to regroup. Also it has a lot of freaking locked gates and I had just ran out of lockpicks so I had to bash my way through the gates. Dungeon was almost as frustrating and evil as it was enjoyable haha.

I'm not sure how to feel about the Magisters right now. I mean, they're running a Hideous concentration camp called FORT JOY and shipping people there without trial because of who they are. On the other hand, the world is currently being invaded by cosmic horrors that seem to see Source and Sourcers as bright shining beacons and the magisters seem to be the only ones even remotely capable of fighting them at this moment(aside from the Godwoken in your party). And a few of them do seem like decent people who don't particularly approve of the Orders recent actions or current leadership. Maybe that will change later but right now they're hitting a really grey tone with some very understandable motivations informing some awful actions.

Have you been using the teleport power/pyramids? I've noticed those are can be quite useful at bypassing certain obstacles.

Dalisclock:

Dreiko:

I'm not sure how to feel about the Magisters right now. I mean, they're running a Hideous concentration camp called FORT JOY and shipping people there without trial because of who they are. On the other hand, the world is currently being invaded by cosmic horrors that seem to see Source and Sourcers as bright shining beacons and the magisters seem to be the only ones even remotely capable of fighting them at this moment(aside from the Godwoken in your party). And a few of them do seem like decent people who don't particularly approve of the Orders recent actions or current leadership. Maybe that will change later but right now they're hitting a really grey tone with some very understandable motivations informing some awful actions.

Have you been using the teleport power/pyramids? I've noticed those are can be quite useful at bypassing certain obstacles.

I'm pretty sure the leadership of the magisters is actually causing the void monster attacks in some way, direct or indirect, though not positive about it. They're just selling you the cure to the disease they're creating when they protect the people.

I found some teleport gloves early on so I've been abusing teleportation for a bunch of things yeah, lots of chests and other area puzzles. Sadly, since you can't teleport yourself but you need someone else to teleport you, it wasn't particularly useful in that dungeon because everyone was isolated in opposite ends, so I had to rely to a combination of flight, that archery skill that teleports and hastes you, and luck to get out of my predicament. The pyramids I've not messed around with much though, they're one of those things I have on the back of my head that I know I can use but haven't really found a time where it feels necessary. From now on I might set up one at the ship though, just to be safe lol.

Dreiko:

Dalisclock:

Dreiko:

I'm pretty sure the leadership of the magisters is actually causing the void monster attacks in some way, direct or indirect, though not positive about it. They're just selling you the cure to the disease they're creating when they protect the people.

I found some teleport gloves early on so I've been abusing teleportation for a bunch of things yeah, lots of chests and other area puzzles. Sadly, since you can't teleport yourself but you need someone else to teleport you, it wasn't particularly useful in that dungeon because everyone was isolated in opposite ends, so I had to rely to a combination of flight, that archery skill that teleports and hastes you, and luck to get out of my predicament. The pyramids I've not messed around with much though, they're one of those things I have on the back of my head that I know I can use but haven't really found a time where it feels necessary. From now on I might set up one at the ship though, just to be safe lol.

I think the pyramids allow you to teleport someone with one of them to the location of the other, which IIRC also allows you to pass them between inventories as well. I need to check it out when I play it next but if so that could be very explotiable.

And I wouldn't be at all shocked to learn the Magisters were somehow responsible. I'm not far enough to learn exactly what going on but the idea that they're somehow responsible for this mess had crossed my mind a couple times.

Renewed interest in RE after trying out 3's demo had me booting up RE2 Remake again. Finally got to the NEST. While I have a feeling I'll like the mechanics of 3 more (namely the dodge), the fact that I can be out of ammo, on danger and barely scrape by through the sewers and back up to the monitor room with the last chess pieces felt impressively tense and calculated. In those moments it really nails the survival horror elements well.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.