What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 NEXT

Finally getting to the end of Ace Combat 7. It's a really fun game, don't get me wrong, but the one thing that doesn't work is the checkpoints. There's only ever one or two per mission, when there are any at all, and there's a lot of places that should have checkpoints, but don't. Meaning it's easy to lose up to 20 minutes of progress if you lose focus and get hit by a missile.

Worst offender: Mission 17, which has a checkpoint about one minute into the mission after shooting five ground targets that don't even shoot back. Got through that and 18 over the last couple of days; two more to go and I'll be finished with the campaign.

Dalisclock:

Dreiko:

Dalisclock:

I'm not sure how to feel about the Magisters right now. I mean, they're running a Hideous concentration camp called FORT JOY and shipping people there without trial because of who they are. On the other hand, the world is currently being invaded by cosmic horrors that seem to see Source and Sourcers as bright shining beacons and the magisters seem to be the only ones even remotely capable of fighting them at this moment(aside from the Godwoken in your party). And a few of them do seem like decent people who don't particularly approve of the Orders recent actions or current leadership. Maybe that will change later but right now they're hitting a really grey tone with some very understandable motivations informing some awful actions.

Have you been using the teleport power/pyramids? I've noticed those are can be quite useful at bypassing certain obstacles.

I'm pretty sure the leadership of the magisters is actually causing the void monster attacks in some way, direct or indirect, though not positive about it. They're just selling you the cure to the disease they're creating when they protect the people.

I found some teleport gloves early on so I've been abusing teleportation for a bunch of things yeah, lots of chests and other area puzzles. Sadly, since you can't teleport yourself but you need someone else to teleport you, it wasn't particularly useful in that dungeon because everyone was isolated in opposite ends, so I had to rely to a combination of flight, that archery skill that teleports and hastes you, and luck to get out of my predicament. The pyramids I've not messed around with much though, they're one of those things I have on the back of my head that I know I can use but haven't really found a time where it feels necessary. From now on I might set up one at the ship though, just to be safe lol.

I think the pyramids allow you to teleport someone with one of them to the location of the other, which IIRC also allows you to pass them between inventories as well. I need to check it out when I play it next but if so that could be very explotiable.

And I wouldn't be at all shocked to learn the Magisters were somehow responsible. I'm not far enough to learn exactly what going on but the idea that they're somehow responsible for this mess had crossed my mind a couple times.

Oh man, those teleporting pyramids are so useful.

There was this one time where some guy was running some kind of prostitution ring, and was saying how Lizard people are the best in bed, and how I should definitely go for it.

So, of course, out of curiosity, I go for it. I head upstairs, head into the room, and the lizard lady tells my companions that they should wait outside. Sensing an obvious trap, I dump a pyramid somewhere in the room, send my companions out, and then go about my business. Screen fades to black, and when I wake up, my character is stripped of all their gear, the room is full of bad guys telling me that they are stealing my stuff, and the door to the upstairs is locked.

So, I teleport my guys in, clear the room of baddies, reclaim my stuff, and now I have a lead on who was responsible for setting the trap.

The game is just so well done.

I'm still playing Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. I have played Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (never finished, tho; I love to start tactics games, but I pretty much never finished any except for the first Final Fantasy Tactics) and I got a nostalgia trip from the music alone. This game allows you to explore a lot and go back to previous locations (not all of them, but several), even when the story tells you to hurry up and go straight to the next part (quite the opposite to Final Fantasy XIII, where 90% of the game is are one-time locations without not much to explore but a couple of dead-ends each in corridor Hell); it has an open-wordish vibe with the high-level monsters just wandering along the small fries.

Laggyteabag:

Dalisclock:

Dreiko:

I'm pretty sure the leadership of the magisters is actually causing the void monster attacks in some way, direct or indirect, though not positive about it. They're just selling you the cure to the disease they're creating when they protect the people.

I found some teleport gloves early on so I've been abusing teleportation for a bunch of things yeah, lots of chests and other area puzzles. Sadly, since you can't teleport yourself but you need someone else to teleport you, it wasn't particularly useful in that dungeon because everyone was isolated in opposite ends, so I had to rely to a combination of flight, that archery skill that teleports and hastes you, and luck to get out of my predicament. The pyramids I've not messed around with much though, they're one of those things I have on the back of my head that I know I can use but haven't really found a time where it feels necessary. From now on I might set up one at the ship though, just to be safe lol.

I think the pyramids allow you to teleport someone with one of them to the location of the other, which IIRC also allows you to pass them between inventories as well. I need to check it out when I play it next but if so that could be very explotiable.

And I wouldn't be at all shocked to learn the Magisters were somehow responsible. I'm not far enough to learn exactly what going on but the idea that they're somehow responsible for this mess had crossed my mind a couple times.

There was this one time where some guy was running some kind of prostitution ring, and was saying how Lizard people are the best in bed, and how I should definitely go for it.

So, of course, out of curiosity, I go for it. I head upstairs, head into the room, and the lizard lady tells my companions that they should wait outside. Sensing an obvious trap, I dump a pyramid somewhere in the room, send my companions out, and then go about my business. Screen fades to black, and when I wake up, my character is stripped of all their gear, the room is full of bad guys telling me that they are stealing my stuff, and the door to the upstairs is locked.

So, I teleport my guys in, clear the room of baddies, reclaim my stuff, and now I have a lead on who was responsible for setting the trap.

Not sure what you did, maybe it's about the hero you play as, but since I was playing the Lizard Prince I ended up with a very positive experience of waking next to some mystery red lizard lady (not the blue lizard prostitute) who is somehow tied to my story. Maybe it has to do with how you get in the room or something. I kinda persuaded the guy below that I was important and terrifying I believe lol.

But yeah, the game is very well done.

Laggyteabag:

Dalisclock:

Dreiko:

I ran into that situation. I Immediately went back to my most recent save because I didn't want to deal with getting my gear back at that particular point. Though I guess I could strip down to nothing and then try and see if it works.

I played with the crafting system last night and realized I could combine potions of the same type to make stronger potions, making arrowheads from materials(Teeth can be made into electro arrowheads, so harvest those suckers) so now I just need arrow shafts to make more special arrows. I admit I've been hoarding them because I was afraid to use them due to not finding more.

Edit: Okay, apparently you can cut wood into arrowshafts and metal, rocks and bones into arrowheads.

I keep seeing people complain that Larian is making Balders Gate 3 and playing this I'm like "So why are people worried?". It plays pretty good and while the plot ain't amazing it, the quests(including the character based ones) seem well written enough.
Apparently part of it is people who really don't like Turn Based rather then Real Time With a Pause, I guess, which I also don't get.

Though I'll freely admit I played BG1 20 years ago and didn't particularly care for it much. I realize in hindsight it was built for people who already know how D&D works and anyone coming into it as their first real exposure is just expected to Git Gud, whereas Divinity OS2 has a lot of QoL features I really appreciate that I don't remember BG having. I intend to try the series again sometime in the next year so it's going to be interesting trying it again 20 years later.

Tomb Raider Shadow of the.
Oki, been kinder than most towards this reboot series due to not holding any love of the originals and not getting the whole "hormonal boy attraction" thing it appeared to harbour for the protag. But only had bout a hazed hour of this and am already feeling as tired as the VA for Lara sounds. Why does it seem as if everyone involved checked out of this for all elements except the technical side? The only improvement over the previous game is she doesn't waffle constantly about her dad at every opportunity, with even a mum popping up at some point. But really, this all feels like an obligation being fulfilled than a story someone wanted to tell. The goons are worse than Batman goons too. The second game was alright, but this ain't. What a wet fart to end on.

And that's Ace Combat 7 down. As someone who hasn't played (and can't play) any of the others, I thought it was a really fun game held back from perfection by the checkpoints issue. Now I'm planning to move on to Final Fantasy 10, at least for a little while until my copy of 7R arrives. I'm saving 9 because I don't want that one to get interrupted, and 10 probably will be.

I'm in the final stretches of Yakuza 5, and just finished up all substories for the first time in a Yakuza game and decided to take on Amon.

30 minutes later I've learned I didn't bring enough healing items, and now my wrist hurts. I think I'll try again tomorrow.

EDIT: I did it! Amon defeated! Now I just need to finish that last hostess mission and I'll be ready for the end.

EDIT 2: And with that I have completed Yakuza 5. At 97 hours that was by far the longest Yakuza game I've played so far, and I wasn't even going for 100%.

Overall I enjoyed it more than 4 (and probably my favourite Yakuza so far), and once again this series displays its ability to create a roller coaster of a finale.

Now to play a bunch of smaller games until I eventually tackle Yakuza 6.

PS4:
After losing interest in RE2 Remake, I craved something truly old school and from a completely different direction. My choice was Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and after a couple hours or so my satisfaction has only grown. It's a spiritual successor to Castle: SotN, but so far has aimed bit-by-bit to crank all the good elements up to 11.

PC:
Decided to buckle down and get back into The Witcher 3. I'm about 75 hours in according to Steam, and am buried in secondary quests and contracts but that's ok. In the correct mindset, there is something very therapeutic about simply meandering about in this game, doing whatever piques my interest along the way. The exploration and looting is fun, and the combat while fairly arcade-like in its mechanics has a nice rhythm to it. It's not meant to be Souls-like or Nioh-esque and that's because it is a story-drive game with the focus being on exploration and questing. The combat is like a ballet dance of death and to me is in the same ranks as the Arkham games in terms of fun; moreso even when you factor in the different potions and tactics with different types of enemies.

My only immediate complaint about the game as of yet would be the quest structure and how it automatically defaults your tracked quest to one that's much, much higher than your current level. The leveling system in general needs some liberties in terms of explaining why a master Witcher keeps starting out at low ranks in these games. I tell myself it's an internalized system where Geralt is only competing against himself, coupled with recurring amnesia brought about by injuries sustained in the original game's events.

A certain game that ends with 3...

Dalisclock:
I keep seeing people complain that Larian is making Balders Gate 3... Apparently part of it is people who really don't like Turn Based rather then Real Time With a Pause, I guess, which I also don't get.

This has always felt like an odd thing to complain about, seeing as Baldur's Gate is based on Dungeons & Dragons, and Dungeons & Dragons is played as a turn-based game.

I suppose it is a departure from BG1 and BG2, but honestly, with my experience playing games that are real-time with pause, vs turn-based, I am always more familiar with my party when playing turn based games, as they often prompt the player to perform their actions, whereas in real time games, I tend to just let them do their thing, and then if/when I have to actually play as one of my party members, I have to spend a few minutes actually finding out what their abilities do, because ive spent almost 0 time actually playing as them.

Laggyteabag:

Dalisclock:
I keep seeing people complain that Larian is making Balders Gate 3... Apparently part of it is people who really don't like Turn Based rather then Real Time With a Pause, I guess, which I also don't get.

This has always felt like an odd thing to complain about, seeing as Baldur's Gate is based on Dungeons & Dragons, and Dungeons & Dragons is played as a turn-based game.

I suppose it is a departure from BG1 and BG2, but honestly, with my experience playing games that are real-time with pause, vs turn-based, I am always more familiar with my party when playing turn based games, as they often prompt the player to perform their actions, whereas in real time games, I tend to just let them do their thing, and then if/when I have to actually play as one of my party members, I have to spend a few minutes actually finding out what their abilities do, because ive spent almost 0 time actually playing as them.

I'd rather have Turn based as well. Trying to manage a party in combat any other way feels like I have to pause so often it might as well be turned based. There's too many variables and decisions to have any kind of tactical sense in a real time, unless you have some amazing AI scripting going on with the companions to keep them from doing stupid things and killing themselves.

As you said, D&D was turn based and so were the wargaming tabletop games that D&D were based off of.

Hawki:
A certain game that ends with 3...

That could be Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, etc.? And how do you like whatever it is?

I am playing the game of life.

Why does everyone in Far Cry 5 keep capturing me, telling me I'm instrumental to their plans, then release me and try murdering me over and over?

Johnny Novgorod:
Why does everyone in Far Cry 5 keep capturing me, telling me I'm instrumental to their plans, then release me and try murdering me over and over?

Maybe it is their plan to capture you, release you, and kill you? I mean, by definition, you'd be instrumental to such a plan...

Johnny Novgorod:

To be fair, at least one of them has capturing and releasing you as part of their plan

Johnny Novgorod:

Open world design. There are only a few ways to write a story that can take place in any order. The "capture and release" is a tested and true plot point that can happen at any time in a narrative, because it can happen without leaving any lasting effects on a character. It isn't the only story thread that is useful in this manner, but there are only a handful of others and FC 5 just went overboard with this one.

Still; shooting hillbilly, gun-nut, religious, preppers is so fun I really cared little about the game's flaws. Plus... CLUTCH NIXON! Oh, and the Testy Festy. Notice they only use getting blasted on whisky and balls until you pass out only once in the game, classy.

I'm finally taking a break from BL 3 after finishing Guns, Love, and Tentacles. All in all, a fun little DLC. Good enough jokes throughout, not long enough to wear out its welcome, and plenty of fun things to shoot. And I'm potentially done until the next DLC because you can easily hit the level cap playing through normal mode. BL 3 has a TVHM... and no real reason to play it, so I'm kind of done with it when I only thought I was halfway through. Disappointing, seriously disappointing. And the lack of being able to chose what game you are joining in multiplayer, means friends only or lan are the only good online options. So this weekend I installed a bunch of games I got for free from Epic.

Totally Reliable Delivery Service: Purposefully frustrating gameplay and physics engines can make for a fun game. And this one does, but wears out its welcome pretty fast.

The Stanley Parable: A thoroughly enjoyable hour.

Hello Neighbor: An interesting roguelike, it would be nice if trips to a wiki weren't necessary to get anywhere.

Farming Simulator 19: Finally Farming Simulator got a good enough driving engine to get sort of fun. Problem is if (like me) you grew up on a farm then the only satisfying way to play is to go through the tutorials to figure out how things work... then go immediately to the hardest mode. Because even that isn't as hard as actual farming.

I'm still playing Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. Because of my tendency of exploring everything before continuing with the story, I'm finding several optional bosses that just keep obliterating my party...

Also, I forgot, getting captured is a Far Cry staple by now. How many times were you captured by Vaas? At least 3 times, maybe more. Which makes his insanity monologue very ironic

trunkage:
Also, I forgot, getting captured is a Far Cry staple by now. How many times were you captured by Vaas? At least 3 times, maybe more. Which makes his insanity monologue very ironic

Well, the first time Jason escaped with help from his brother(who was then killed) and the 2nd time Vaas had tied him to a rock and kicked him into a lake(which arguably should have been a death sentence).

Though it's obvious Vaas was also fairly nuts too.

trunkage:

Johnny Novgorod:

To be fair, at least one of them has capturing and releasing you as part of their plan

Why try murdering me in between then?
It's like in RE4 where the cult's plan is to send you back home as sleeper agents, but also try murdering you every step of the way.

trunkage:

But Vaas isn't trying to manipulate you into doing anything. He's basically just having fun with you. Whereas the Seeds supposedly are trying to railroad you into fulfilling a prophecy that DOESN'T happen if they also kill you, which they try constantly.

Johnny Novgorod:

It's like in RE4 where the cult's plan is to send you back home as sleeper agents, but also try murdering you every step of the way.

Ashley, yes, Leon, not so much. Mendez does have his "you carry the same blood" moment, but Leon immediately becomes "unpleasent to our [their] eyes" a moment later. But they always try to capture rather than kill Ashley.

I think a better example of this is Metal Gear Solid. Like, Liquid Snake wants Snake to use the PAL to activate Metal Gear, but also tries to kill him with the Hind?

On PS4 I decided to set aside Bloodstained: RotN for a rainy day and return to Dark Souls 3 to finish both "3" games that have been lingering for far too long; the other being Witcher 3 on PC.

Anyways, for a quick story of how cheesing a dragon to death in DS3 can still be pretty nerve racking,

The worst part might've been when I popped an Ember and braved through a field of flames to get in closer only to discover there was no decent angle I could attack at that range which would have saved me so much trouble and resources.

Johnny Novgorod:

trunkage:

Johnny Novgorod:

Why try murdering me in between then?

Reminds me of one of the big plot points in Metal Gear Solid.

Which would make a lot more sense if Liquids men weren't doing their very best to murder you, including Liquid coming after you with an Attack Helicopter(and you have to shoot it down to proceed). Probably because Kojima tends to think he's more clever then he actually is sometimes and this is a thing that gets more noticeable as the series went on.

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

Ashley, yes, Leon, not so much. Mendez does have his "you carry the same blood" moment, but Leon immediately becomes "unpleasent to our [their] eyes" a moment later. But they always try to capture rather than kill Ashley.

I think a better example of this is Metal Gear Solid. Like, Liquid Snake wants Snake to use the PAL to activate Metal Gear, but also tries to kill him with the Hind?

The cult's plans for Leon are fickle at best.
They do try killing Ashley though, at least every other chance they're not trying to carry her away.

Johnny Novgorod:

They do try killing Ashley though, at least every other chance they're not trying to carry her away.

I know Ashley can definitely be killed, but I don't recall a point where the cult is actively trying to kill, rather than abduct her.

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

I know Ashley can definitely be killed, but I don't recall a point where the cult is actively trying to kill, rather than abduct her.

What? Several enemies actively try killing Ashley.
Right off the bat as soon as Saddler explains his plan he has snipers shoot at Leon and Ashley.
They try running both of them over a couple of times with trucks.
Shield zealots will try to kill her.
Also the zealots in that little section of hers, along with the knight armors.
And the Gigante after the siege fight.
And basically any enemy with an AOE attack that doesn't care if it gets her. Like, if they want her alive so bad, what's with catapulting flaming boulders at her in the castle? She's not 2 steps behind Leon.

Johnny Novgorod:

Right off the bat as soon as Saddler explains his plan he has snipers shoot at Leon and Ashley.
And basically any enemy with an AOE attack that doesn't care if it gets her. Like, if they want her alive so bad, what's with catapulting flaming boulders at her in the castle? She's not 2 steps behind Leon.

Okay, fair points.

I guess it's fair to say that while the cult's goal is to never explicitly kill Ashley, they do a sloppy job at times.

Johnny Novgorod:

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

RE4 was over rated like most RE's. The escort/babysitting adventures really dragged an above average game down. That and QTE's. At least in GoW you were doing something awesome looking for them.

Anyways on topic, just took down Consumed King and Dragonslayer Amour in DS3, and now I'm bumbling about trying to find out how to get that one broken elevator working. There's got to be a hidden path or something at least somewhat nearby. Wikidot has been whispering psst in my ear but I've been kindly ignoring its advances.

Dalisclock:

trunkage:

Well, the first time Jason escaped with help from his brother(who was then killed) and the 2nd time Vaas had tied him to a rock and kicked him into a lake(which arguably should have been a death sentence).

Before the second one is where you are going to be burned by Vaas in the abandoned.... glasshouse (something like that). The fourth is when you are chasing his APC and he tricks you and shoots you in the heart/lighter and dumps you in a mass grave

Taking a short break from the monolithic Divinity Original Sin 2, to play some Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019), and im having a lot of fun.

I found the campagin to be very enjoyable, with the embassy assault/defence mission to be the standout. I enjoyed its story a lot, even if it was never really groundbreaking, and the villain was a bit one-dimensional, but I had fun in a "Generic military movie" kind of way.

Playing the multiplayer, and things do get a bit wobbly. Playing the standard modes, and the difference between a top-tier weapon like the M4A1 and the MP7, compared to something that isn't, like the SA87 or FAL, is quite stark. Time to Kill is king, and nothing else matters. So, you are basically funnelled into using the 2 or 3 best guns (which a lot of people are doing), or you are putting yourself at a massive disadvantage.

I have taken to play a lot more of the Hardcore mode, because there, almost everything is a 1-shot kill, or a very fast 2-shot kill. Sure, everything basically blends into eachother, but I find it to be a much more enjoyable experience - and it plays basically like paintball or laser tag.

Havent touched Warzone or Ground War. Im sure that they are well done, but I find BR games to be overwhelmingly dull, and vehicle-based combat just doesnt seem like something that would interest me.

I'll probably hop in for a game or two, every now and again.

Soriz just came out in granblue versus so I've been going ham in that game. He's so hype lmao.

Even made this thing out of the stuff I discovered during training mode practice:

(yes, that is the voice of Kiritsugu from Fate indeed!)

trunkage:

Dalisclock:

trunkage:

Before the second one is where you are going to be burned by Vaas in the abandoned.... glasshouse (something like that). The fourth is when you are chasing his APC and he tricks you and shoots you in the heart/lighter and dumps you in a mass grave

I had totally blanked on the glasshouse. I remembered the beginning and the part where he kicks you into the pit. My mistake.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.