LISA is fantastic! The best dark comedy I've played!

LISA (currently 50% off on Steam) may be one of the best dark comedy games I've ever played! It came out in 2014 and I've only just discovered it now.

You play Brad, a drug addicted martial arts teacher living in a post apocalyptic wasteland in which all the females had suddenly vanished some time ago. You are searching for your adopted daughter who is the last girl in existence and is somewhere out there in a world of perverts.

The game has tons of quirky dialogue and silly situations alongside twisted flesh mutants and gore. The game does a great job of mixing the humorous and the macabre, ending up with a blend that I find very engaging. That's not to say that every moment is humorous, the game is very effective when it wants to get serious as well. Honestly, it reminds me of the Mother (Earthbound) series for some reason.

Combat is pretty good for turn based RPG standards, and there is a bit of strategy to assembling your party from 30+ possible members. There's quite a bit of flavour to the movesets as well, and most of the enemies seem to have unique appearances and names. There are very few random encounters.

I find the visuals to be very appealing. There are a huge amount of sprites in the game, and I think very few character end up having the exact same appearance.

My only problem is that the game presents some choices that seem like they would be significant, but while they do have effects, are not as significant as one might assume. There is effectively only one ending to the game, so don't get your hopes up.

LISA is the sequel to a free game called LISA: THE FIRST. I wasn't to crazy about it, and it doesn't really have too much to do with the sequel, so it can be safely skipped, but it's only like half an hour long anyway.

It's not too long and not too short. The game doesn't drag in any part and there's always somewhere interesting to explore. All in all I think it's a fantastic experience. So go play it!

Anybody play this game already? Thoughts?

Sure, I'll give it a go and report back!

Heck if I know. I've mentioned it a number of times.

I've played this and thoroughly enjoyed the game. Work Harder is a fantastic track of music. Wasn't a fan of the game that proceeded it. Never played the first entry.

Didn't love the permadeath elements (mainly folk just buggering off - combat deaths were fine) as it led me to many reloads as I viewed it as effectively losing out on available gameplay "just cuz". Won't dispute how it was essential to the experience but damn that was a buzz kill.

Despite liking the game the overall story loses all significance after a "slip" of dialogue which didn't go anywhere. Was carrot-on-a-sticking from there on never to revisit the subject.

Brad's Bully was a delight. Only character who was a straight shooter

For the same reason I gave to someone way back when it came out. Advertising and aesthetic. It's similar to why Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was ill received, the initial commercials were annoying and went for the wrong kind of appeal they needed to go for with the movie.

The opening scene of the preview movie involves the main character holding up a baby and then dropping it and the aesthetic on first glance looks cheap and as if it's going for the kind of humor that you'd expect from a flash game like Trollface Quest.

Now before you bring out your torches and pitch forks, this is not what the game is actually like, the problem is how it looks to people browsing through hundreds upon hundreds of Steam games. When there are so many games to look through and choose from, the first impression is very important and unfortunately it gives a poor first impression.

I tried it, but the gameplay really wasn't for me. The combat seemed really one-dimensional, and I didn't enjoy the exploration aspects. The plot and style of the game seemed really fun, but I couldn't deal with actually playing it.

To answer your question, I haven't played LISA so I have absolutely nothing to say on the matter, therefore nothing to post in this thread. But hopefully this post telling you that I have nothing to say about LISA will be enough to make you happy that someone else has posted in your thread.

LISA is on my very large backlog. Will get around to it eventually.

Gauche:
I've played this and thoroughly enjoyed the game. Work Harder is a fantastic track of music. Wasn't a fan of the game that proceeded it. Never played the first entry.

That song was actually how I found the game =D

Gauche:
Didn't love the permadeath elements (mainly folk just buggering off - combat deaths were fine) as it led me to many reloads as I viewed it as effectively losing out on available gameplay "just cuz". Won't dispute how it was essential to the experience but damn that was a buzz kill.

Despite liking the game the overall story loses all significance after a "slip" of dialogue which didn't go anywhere. Was carrot-on-a-sticking from there on never to revisit the subject.

Gauche:
Brad's Bully was a delight. Only character who was a straight shooter

Silentpony:
Sure, I'll give it a go and report back!

I'm eager to hear of your results!

Drathnoxis:

Gauche:

Gauche:

Oh bugger! This wasn't the thread I wanted to post in!!

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.