FarCry imo is the only good one of the "Ubisoft Open World games"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

From FarCry 3,4, Primal, and the upcoming 5, I just feel these games are the more "fun" of the Ubisoft Open World games compared to Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs and whatever else right now.

Mostly because of what the world you are in right now and how alive it feels. I mean playing FarCry 3 I see a Tiger hunting Deers and such while just passing by in a car.

And I feel the Stealth gameplay is done better here, tackling your objective from multiple angles and in anyway you want just feels good. ANd I mostly prefer First Person shooting over the Arkham like combat of recent AC games.

And lets not forget, FarCry 4 and Primal lets you ride on Elephans/Mammoths.

And the upcoming 5 appears to have flying vehicles at last.

All I can say is the only Ubisoft game I am excited for this year is FarCry 5. Anyone here agress about my feelings with FarCry right now?

How do you figure?

Ubisoft's open world games, are known for being cookie cutter. AC Origins has everything you spoke of form Far Cry. You can ride camels, horses, and chariots. You can see wildlife fucking with each other as you ride by. The stealth is decent, and instead of guns you use bows. Hell the only difference is 3rd person versus 1st person POV's.

The same for Ghost Recon Wildlands.

So how do you figure the Far Cry's are the best? They are all the same thing, just with a little bit of a different flavor in each game.

Commanderfantasy:
How do you figure?

Ubisoft's open world games, are known for being cookie cutter. AC Origins has everything you spoke of form Far Cry. You can ride camels, horses, and chariots. You can see wildlife fucking with each other as you ride by. The stealth is decent, and instead of guns you use bows. Hell the only difference is 3rd person versus 1st person POV's.

So how do you figure the Far Cry's are the best? They are all the same thing, just with a little bit of a different flavor in each game.

One thing is better premise, Far Cry 3 had Vaas, Primal showcased Cavemen era tribals very realisitcally.

And the mere fact that FarCry is in First Person and as a mostly PC gamer that means better controls.

And FarCry if anything is taking more notes from GTA at how much crazy stuff you can do. Which is why FarCry 5 is reminding me alot of GTA than Assassin's Creed with guns.

Samtemdo8:

Commanderfantasy:
How do you figure?

One thing is better premise, Far Cry 3 had Vaas, Primal showcased Cavemen era tribals very realisitcally.

And the mere fact that FarCry is in First Person and as a mostly PC gamer that means better controls.

And FarCry if anything is taking more notes from GTA at how much crazy stuff you can do. Which is why FarCry 5 is reminding me alot of GTA than Assassin's Creed with guns.

So basically you are saying you like the Far Cry's because of the thematic settings. Okay fair enough.

Commanderfantasy:

Samtemdo8:

Commanderfantasy:
How do you figure?

So basically you are saying you like the Far Cry's because of the thematic settings. Okay fair enough.

Yeah AC hasn't been interesting after the Ezio trilogy, or just moving out of the Medieval era in general, I would be interested in an AC game if it goes back to its roots in the Medieval Times and more focusing on assassinations.

Watch Dogs is just eh, the gimmick of hacking every electronic cannot change the rather eh setting.

And Ghost Recon should not be a Open World game at all.

Far Cry also has its' takedown system and actually useful weapon diversity (as opposed to GR:W where you are always better off with an AR and a Sniper Rifle then with any loadout not including either of those) in its' favor. Those melee takedowns and the ability to combo them up makes sneaking and melee attacking satisfying in Far Cry, because of how it can be suited to many different strategies.

Not to mention that Far Cry has actually invested in trying to tell stories with some semblance of meaning (with 3, 4 and Primal all being about how hatred and violence corrupts people and perpetuates themselves). Except Blood Dragon, which is simply the best homage to 80's action movies you could ever hope for.

I loved FC3. And I had a lot of fun with FC4, even if it was just more of the same. I'd say it's the one Ubi franchise I keep an eye for anymore.

FC3 was fun, but it can't hold a candle its own FC3: Blood Dragon DLC! Above all else, I appreciate self-awareness, and FC3:BD spoofed my entire childhood when it took the piss out of everything from 8-bit gaming to cheesy sci-fi schtick. Wonderful game. I wish more games would use their own architecture to build new and/or unrelated games for DLC purposes; sounds a lot better than "Spend $60 for a game, then spend another $20 for exactly more of it later."

...I like Ubisoft open-world games. No I dont have a gun to my head. Hell, the only reason I dont play AC anymore is because they ruined the plot they had going with AC1, 2, Brotherhood and presumably Revelations. Then 3 fucks it up and Im out...though the AC collection was on sale on Steam...and I did kinda... buy it...

Ubisoft games could be better...they could be worse though too. I think they should push more co-op fun.

only far cry 3 is quite good. rest are boring.

its another boring stale ubisoft open world franchise.

B-Cell:
only far cry 3 is quite good. rest are boring.

its another boring stale ubisoft open world franchise.

I just wish FarCry still retains the realism aspects of FarCry 2 like the minimal inteface and the map, weapon jamming (you can visiable see your weapon deteriorate) and other aspects.

I'd say it's definitely the best Ubi game, though I did really enjoy AC Origins. The Ubi template works the best in this game as you're out in nature winning back territory. It's a repetitive loop with little variety in missions but due to the non-linear approach to objectives and the huge arsenal of weapons at your disposal one that takes a long time to get boring. The gameplay is also getting better which only adds to it's longevity. From what I've seen of FC5 it seems to have improved quite a bit from the previous game.

I do agree all the Ubi properties kind of blend together. AC Origins even has the owl from FC Primal. :p Personally I'm not really put off by a predictable formula as long as the gamplay is fun. Atleast Ubi seems to have learned it's lesson when it comes to radio towers and cluttering the map with useless crap.

Samtemdo8:

I just wish FarCry still retains the realism aspects of FarCry 2 like the minimal inteface and the map, weapon jamming (you can visiable see your weapon deteriorate) and other aspects.

Ugh, I hated the weapon jamming in FC2. Even when you fully upgraded your weapon it still jammed. That the weapons of enemies never jammed and that the enemies themselves were quite spongy made it even more tedious.

Other than that though FC2 is probably still my favorite Far Cry game. Really loved the setting and the story was the best in the entire franchise.

My favorite Ubisoft Open World game is Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag. The game gives the payer a pirate ship to sail the seas with. Take on larger vessels, navigate storms, explore small islands here and there, listen to your men sing old shanties. The Assassin Creed-y bits drag it down, but it was a lot of fun. Shame Skull and Bones ditched the single player.

Samtemdo8:

Um...

Do you even Far Cry, bro?

Squilookle:

Samtemdo8:

Um...

As in FLYING VEHICLES:

Not Glinding Temporary Devices.

Far Cry is definitely my fave Ubisoft franchise by far... But only because of Far Cry 1-3.

FC1 I'm hesitant to count at all actually because that was more Crytek's thing than anything else.

FC2 is a misunderstood gem. It had some rough spots absolutely, but it does some things better than any other FC currently out. And the Jackal Tapes were pretty eye-opening too.

FC3 needs Ziggy's Mod to truly shine, but when you put it in, holy hell does it shine. Probably my favorite thing about the mod is how you can now takedown any enemy at any time. You'd think this would be pretty OP'd but with how nasty enemies in Ziggy's Mod are, you need every damn advantage you can get. And man, takedowns are so viscerally satisfying. Especially dat Heavy Takedown...

-

FC4 actually had a better story and characters than FC3 (barring Vaas, that lovable madman) but it was way too similar to FC3, gameplay wise, for me to warrant buying it, and since the game wasn't as open to modding as FC3, Ziggy's Mod wasn't available for it, so I passed on it.

stroopwafel:
I'd say it's definitely the best Ubi game, though I did really enjoy AC Origins. The Ubi template works the best in this game as you're out in nature winning back territory. It's a repetitive loop with little variety in missions but due to the non-linear approach to objectives and the huge arsenal of weapons at your disposal one that takes a long time to get boring. The gameplay is also getting better which only adds to it's longevity. From what I've seen of FC5 it seems to have improved quite a bit from the previous game.

I do agree all the Ubi properties kind of blend together. AC Origins even has the owl from FC Primal. :p Personally I'm not really put off by a predictable formula as long as the gamplay is fun. Atleast Ubi seems to have learned it's lesson when it comes to radio towers and cluttering the map with useless crap.

Samtemdo8:

Ugh, I hated the weapon jamming in FC2. Even when you fully upgraded your weapon it still jammed. That the weapons of enemies never jammed and that the enemies themselves were quite spongy made it even more tedious.

Other than that though FC2 is probably still my favorite Far Cry game. Really loved the setting and the story was the best in the entire franchise.

It all depends on what weapons you are using.

Stuff like the AK-47 lasts for a long awhile especially fully upgraded.. But things like the Dart Rifle and M16 would degrade a bit sooner.

And it makes you really think about what weapons you take with you and the tactics you apply. I also like how you can visually see your gun degreading and getting dirty. And the fact that each gun has a different jam animation:

Samtemdo8:

Squilookle:

Samtemdo8:

Um...

As in FLYING VEHICLES:

Hang Gliders are bona fide flying vehicles. Hell in the real world they can ride thermals and stay up there until the cows come home.

But as I said:

Do you even Far Cry?

Bro?

BTW, if I see lootboxes in FC5, I swear I'm going to kick Ubisoft in the fucking balls.

Samtemdo8:

Squilookle:

Samtemdo8:

Um...

As in FLYING VEHICLES:

What about the gyrocopters in Far Cry 4?

Johnny Novgorod:

Samtemdo8:

Squilookle:

Um...

As in FLYING VEHICLES:

What about the gyrocopters in Far Cry 4?

I really need to play 4. But the Storage Memory is too BIG. My download speeds can take about a day to finish.

I was almost with you, til you threw in Primal. The game where they decided to take the literal worst bits of gameplay and throw them front and center so you could enjoy awful melee and horrible AI companions full stop.

Far Cry mostly benefits from not being popped out yearly (until Primal, go figure). It always feels like they've had a bit more time to refine it, and possibly a bit more freedom to be goofy or ever so slightly mature from being the flagship like Ass Creed.

Of the other 3 of the "Ubisoft Open World Games", Watch_Dogs 1 suffers from being a Driver sequel that somehow got reformatted and hyped into a new franchise. Watch Dogs 2 actually gets a bit of its own identity and feels a bit more like the style Far Cry was developed with, willing to indulge in camp, wearing influences from silly movies like Hackers in much the same way Far Cry often seems to be a riff on B-movie action films.

Ghost Recon I'm guessing is a dull lifeless slab (though the gameplay itself is well done enough, not enough to hold up 80 hours of it or however much it is, granted) because Tom Clancy must be serious business.

AC : Origins would be a much better game if it was maybe half the size. There's bits of inspiration in it, but not enough to fill out the whole thing. Again, the non-yearly benefits them, but it gets undercut by the need to have the flagship be ever bigger, despite not having the ideas to fill it.

Seth Carter:
I was almost with you, til you threw in Primal. The game where they decided to take the literal worst bits of gameplay and throw them front and center so you could enjoy awful melee and horrible AI companions full stop.

Far Cry mostly benefits from not being popped out yearly (until Primal, go figure). It always feels like they've had a bit more time to refine it, and possibly a bit more freedom to be goofy or ever so slightly mature from being the flagship like Ass Creed.

Of the other 3 of the "Ubisoft Open World Games", Watch_Dogs 1 suffers from being a Driver sequel that somehow got reformatted and hyped into a new franchise. Watch Dogs 2 actually gets a bit of its own identity and feels a bit more like the style Far Cry was developed with, willing to indulge in camp, wearing influences from silly movies like Hackers in much the same way Far Cry often seems to be a riff on B-movie action films.

Ghost Recon I'm guessing is a dull lifeless slab (though the gameplay itself is well done enough, not enough to hold up 80 hours of it or however much it is, granted) because Tom Clancy must be serious business.

AC : Origins would be a much better game if it was maybe half the size. There's bits of inspiration in it, but not enough to fill out the whole thing. Again, the non-yearly benefits them, but it gets undercut by the need to have the flagship be ever bigger, despite not having the ideas to fill it.

No I was thinking of the newest Ghost Recon game which complete deviates from its roots.

Ghost Recon was supposed to be a essentially the more wide open battlefield version of Rainbow Six, a Tactical Squad based Shooter, now the newest game is this:

The last good Ghost Recon game was Ghost Recon 2 for the original Xbox. Heck same with Rainbow Six, the last good one was 3: Raven Shield.

And I think FarCry Primal does not deserve the backlash it gets.

Saelune:
...I like Ubisoft open-world games. No I dont have a gun to my head. Hell, the only reason I dont play AC anymore is because they ruined the plot they had going with AC1, 2, Brotherhood and presumably Revelations. Then 3 fucks it up and Im out...though the AC collection was on sale on Steam...and I did kinda... buy it...

Ubisoft games could be better...they could be worse though too. I think they should push more co-op fun.

That is something I will conceed, Ubisoft games are not BAD. And if anything at least they try to make Single Player experiances where as the only thing exicting from EA is the next yearly big Multiplayer shooter from DICE and even than their Star Wars Battlefront games failed to impress.

Sometimes I wonder how DICE haven't gone the way of the dodo like some many Compaines EA bought out.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh eh

3 was great, Blood Dragon was more of the same but neon, 4 was more of the same but in the mountains, and Primal (I never played that one) seemed like more of the same but with spears instead of AKs.

It was fun to start off with, but then it kind of got stuck in the same rut as AC2, AC:B and AC:R where they were just iterating, instead of innovating - building off the same base game, but with minor tweaks.

Primal seemed like the most divergent one, but also one that a lot of people straight up didn't like.

Maybe 5 does something cool and unique, but so far it seems like more of the same but with more urban environments and vehicle variety.

Call me cynical.

Ubisoft games something that most open world games don't. You are given a task and a set of tools and you are to take everyone out silently. In Watch Dogs, you electronically manipulate the environment to take out the enemy without alerting the rest. In Far Cry, take downs, bows and animals are your tools. Wildlands requires teamwork, spotting and planning. You don't do that in Witcher, Skyrim, Just Cause or GTA. It's not better, it's just a different feel.

Multiplayer in Watch Dogs feel unique too. Remotely manipulating cars and other devices to give false leads to your opponent is pretty cool

Far Cry 3 was great even though they killed off arguably the best video game villain ever halfway through the game in a QTE sequence that doesn't make any sense.

Far Cry 4 was more of the same, it was good but the protagonist was pretty much a mute with no character development and while Pagan Min was a good villain he wasn't nearly as good as Vaas.

I STILL have yet to play Far Cry 4 because the console fov is like replacing your eyeballs with binoculars, and the PC version has that god damn stuttering regardless of the potential fixes I've applied to it online.

I'm hoping the co-op campaign in Far Cry 5 turns out well though, and Ubi finally learned not to ship a game with so many issues at launch.

I... agree. Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs are as mediocre and tedious as games can be. Far Cry 3 didn't have very good gunplay, but at least it stayed focused on what mattered, the shooting. Watch Dogs has pretty mediocre shooting mechanics buried under a bunch of boring open world crap. Also, wildernesses are more interesting than boring modern American cities and their boring grid plans. The Division could have been good with better controls and no shitty RPG leveling.

Have you tried Driver San Fransisco? It might be one of the most under rated racing games of last gen, its either that or Acvitivsion's Blur.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
Far Cry 4 was more of the same, it was good but the protagonist was pretty much a mute with no character development and while Pagan Min was a good villain he wasn't nearly as good as Vaas.

He may not have jumped out at you like Vaas, but I really liked him in his own way. He was kinda more relatable for one.

kilenem:
Have you tried Driver San Fransisco, It might be one of the most under rated racing games of last gen, its either that or Acvitivsion's Blur.

If you have a Steam key for Blur, let me know.

It WAS good, but they're slowly driving it into the ground. Far Cry 4 was good, but it kind of had a bit of "second verse, same as the first" going on in regards to 3.

Apparently you never played Zero Horizon Dawn

Saelune:

So, out of curiosity, did you play Black Flag? I didn't see it on the list but that's the last one a majority of people will admit to liking(for good reason).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here