Red Read Redeemertion 2 reviews are out

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Was expecting this to already be posted here, maybe this forum really is more a ghost town nowadays. No doubt all buggering off to greater lands, like the new and improved modernised escapist site in all its' discus glory. But we don't need those uppity guys, right? Nah...everything's fine right here! As long as we got each other. And a substantial stock of booze and illicit substances to make each more bearable. We're not the Amish equivalent of the escapist population, hell no! That's ridiculous. Who would even think of such an idiotic comparison??

Umm. Oh, sidetracked for a second there. Nevermind. Forget that. Long awaited Red Dead 2 will be out tomorrow, and this reviews are out today. I know this isn't the best place to portray excitement for any AAA game, but what the hell, someone's gotta do it and I've nothing to lose anyhow. Soooo;

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-25-red-dead-redemption-2-review (Mostly positive, but why no human numbers or stars, eh? What kind of hippy bullshit is that??)

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/oct/25/red-dead-redemption-2-review-western-playstation-xbox-rockstar (5 stars, but annoyinly vague, like fortune cookie)

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2018/10/25/18021034/red-dead-redemption-2-review (I can't...where's the bloody score, you goddamn liberal arts students?? Long and critical though)

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-the-kotaku-review-1829984369 (Even longer and more critical, it's a scary, numberless world out yonder)

Everybody's favourite antagonist, Jim Sterling's filthy opinion;

...?

Oh yeah, this site doesn't like embedded YouTube anymore;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6REhEuVBAec (Still no cold hard numbers though. Got to be left-wing agendas and conspiracies infiltrating respectable god-fearing maths yet again)

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/red-dead-redemption-2 (97...there! There's a fucking number you can carve into your forehead like the victims in Peter Jackson's The Frighteners, at long last!)

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/red-dead-redemption-2 (98...now I don't want to say Xbox one owners are desperate for good games and are marginally easier to please...but I will subtly imply it with this here cold hard number)

So, dearest fellow Amish, have ye any hopes or plans to enjoy this next venture into the west, perhaps whilst keenly aware of the possible overly hard work of many employees involved here? I am still financially burdened, so this is merely pressing a face up to the window of a sweet store in British winter for now.

I can't find any for the PC version. Any tips?

McElroy:

Don't look for what don't exist, fellow Amish.

McElroy:

Start praying to whatever Gods you believe in, boy.

Seems mostly like the usual Rockstar fare. Shiny visuals, lots of detail. Maybe a slightly bettered for not trying to be "Satire" but still cliche story.

Haven't actually seen one that delved too much into the controls and basic gameplay. The standard Rockstar terribly dated auto-aim shooting lock stuff is still in. Not really a fan of the hunting/crafting segment of the open world in any of its Skyrim/FAr Cry/AC/etc form, so an even more convoluted variant doesn't really appeal much.

Not interested until it comes to PC.

But I'm sure it's a fun enough game. Though the "realism" things that Sterling mentioned sound like they would get on my fucking nerves real fucking quick.

Watched Jim's video. Seems like there's even more grind than in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and twice as many steps to get what you need. Instead of just shooting a goat and getting meat and skin and horns, you have to carefully target specific parts because if you hit the got too much you loose meat and skin. Also it has to be a healthy goat. Also the goat should ideally be named Billy and have at least 2 years of college, and it wouldn't hurt if you two took a 6 week, real time, salsa dancing course. I mean how do you expect Billy's meat to be tender enough without weeks worth of dance lessons?!
and don't even get me started if your horse wanders off and you can't call it back because your whistle has a limited range.

Just seems like its everything Odyssey gets accused of but with cowboy hats. And I don't know what's worse, that Ass Creed put in x2 as much grind with the ability to bypass with micotransactions, or Red Dead put in x4 as much grind and didn't and just expect you to spend 30 real minutes slowly walking back to town with Billy over your shoulders because the horse walked away. I mean what's worse, a game that lets you skip 10mins of grind for money or a game that doesn't let you skip 40mins of grind?

Silentpony:
Watched Jim's video. Seems like there's even more grind than in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and twice as many steps to get what you need. Instead of just shooting a goat and getting meat and skin and horns, you have to carefully target specific parts because if you hit the got too much you loose meat and skin. Also it has to be a healthy goat. Also the goat should ideally be named Billy and have at least 2 years of college, and it wouldn't hurt if you two took a 6 week, real time, salsa dancing course. I mean how do you expect Billy's meat to be tender enough without weeks worth of dance lessons?!
and don't even get me started if your horse wanders off and you can't call it back because your whistle has a limited range.

Just seems like its everything Odyssey gets accused of but with cowboy hats. And I don't know what's worse, that Ass Creed put in x2 as much grind with the ability to bypass with micotransactions, or Red Dead put in x4 as much grind and didn't and just expect you to spend 30 real minutes slowly walking back to town with Billy over your shoulders because the horse walked away. I mean what's worse, a game that lets you skip 10mins of grind for money or a game that doesn't let you skip 40mins of grind?

And this might be why I wait until it comes out on pc instead of grabbing it now for ps4. The ability to use programs like Cheat Engine to lessen the grind is amazing. Odyssey, for example, is much more enjoyable with the xp gain set to 2 or 3 times normal; no micro-transactions needed.

I kinda lost interest after it was revealed to be an immediate prequel following the near-same group of people and starring almost an identical protagonist as RDR

gimme somethin fresh

or at least let me play a womanz

undeadsuitor:
I kinda lost interest after it was revealed to be an immediate prequel following the near-same group of people and starring almost an identical protagonist as RDR

gimme somethin fresh

Up until this point, I had no idea who the plot or characters were. Now after hearing this is making me even less interested than I was before. I know my big bro is getting this, but when he finishes it I might get his copy. That said my game list is full already. I am playing the new Fist of the North Star game and Darksiders 3 comes out next month. And then after that it's Resident Evil 2 remake and Devil May Cry 5. So odds are I won't even touch Red Dead 2 till about a year-and-a-half after it's out.

undeadsuitor:

gimme somethin fresh

To be fair its a cowboy genre game, there's only so far a protagonist can change. I think they just cut out the middle man and went with the same dudes 'cause a new roster will just be 4 more grizzled, angry, down on their luck cowboys with guns and horses fighting bandits, corrupt officials and robbing trains. And really, what all would have changed?

Silentpony:

undeadsuitor:

gimme somethin fresh

To be fair its a cowboy genre game, there's only so far a protagonist can change. I think they just cut out the middle man and went with the same dudes 'cause a new roster will just be 4 more grizzled, angry, down on their luck cowboys with guns and horses fighting bandits, corrupt officials and robbing trains. And really, what all would have changed?

I would say set it even farther back, maybe before the west was heavily settled.

just so I don't have to hear "the end of an era" phrased again since that was the entire plot of the first one.

or hell, maybe a law dude chasing the outlaw gang instead of a part of it (or a former part of it)

Well it isn't coming out on PC anyway(for now, atleast), so i don't have to worry about giving R* more money.

Silentpony:

undeadsuitor:

gimme somethin fresh

This is mainly why I was barely interested in this game. I'm still not. Cowboys never intrigued me. Westerns did nothing for me. And they still don't.

But now, getting the news that it's a freaking prequel? Not even for a five dollar sale.

ObsidianJones:

Silentpony:

undeadsuitor:

gimme somethin fresh

This is mainly why I was barely interested in this game. I'm still not. Cowboys never intrigued me. Westerns did nothing for me. And they still don't.

But now, getting the news that it's a freaking prequel? Not even for a five dollar sale.

The problem, at least to me, is they went for a hyper realistic game, where even the horse's nuts shrink in cold weather.
All westerns are the same once you get to hyper-realistic. So they should have gone parody game, along the vein of Blazing Saddles, or go completely out there. Like...a native american tribe is trying to stop the railroad from blowing up a sacred mountain, and you're hired to drive the Indians off the range for the first half of the game, because they 'savages' and scalp people, yadda yadda. At the half-way point you finally blow a hole through the mountain for the railroad and BOOM! You woke up a kaiju scorpion! And its rampaging across the land, heading for...the Big City.
And you have to team up with the tribes to stop the monster, and the countryside is filled with warring factions, maybe here's a scorpion worshiping tribe trying to stop you, smaller yet still big scorpions are attacking the homesteads, just really make it extreme!

That way there's something more to it than just an another cowboy game.

I'm sure I could imagine what it would be like based off of GTA 5's implementation of it, but I see no one bringing up the first person view.

I was already excited for the game, but that detail sold it for me. I can't wait to look at their gorgeous western world from that perspective. It'll be like Call of Juarez, but way better.

I'm sure I'll end up playing it eventually.

Except I want to play AC Origins first(which is pretty high on my list of things to play next)...and I need to upgrade my PC first.

And I need to play RDR1 as well.

Did I mention both of those games are like 50+ hours long? Because they're 50+ hours long.

It's pretty much gonna be on my Crimmis list and I probably still won't play it for another couple weeks/months.

Because that's another 50+ hour game to work through.

Waiting for it to drop down in the mail.

Has anyone here played it? If yes, are the horse dick physics real?

ObsidianJones:

You should check out Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Like you, I'm not particularly fond of the wild west, but Gunslinger is a genuinely brilliant game. It's not very long, maybe only 6-8hrs but apart from the janky duelling mechanics, it's an incredible, amazing game.

I have very little positive to say about Ubisoft titles in general these days, but honestly cannot understand why Gunslinger didn't get more attention than it did. The gameplay is framed by an unreliable narrator, telling a crowd in a saloon his story as we play through it. It hits every cowboy trope imaginable from dusty towns and saloons, injuns, famous outlaws and sheriffs, goldmines, train heists. It's just so good, the narrator tells a compelling story, the gameplay is great, the atmosphere is top notch. Most of all, it's just plain fun. I really cannot recommend it highly enough.

CyanCat47:

I will get back to you on this as soon as the 2 hour long (!) installation process is complete. Right now my PS4 is busy dumping 2 Bluray discs worth of data onto its hard drive. If I don't get to see horse balls blowing in the wind after this, I might be a bit disappointed...

I've got it, but I'm at work until tonight. Then it's going to be swollen horse balls as far as the eye can see. (The horse balls is actually the only thing I know about this game, I bought it pretty much on the strength of enjoying the first one and hearing this one is better.)

KingsGambit:

ObsidianJones:

You should check out Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Like you, I'm not particularly fond of the wild west, but Gunslinger is a genuinely brilliant game. It's not very long, maybe only 6-8hrs but apart from the janky duelling mechanics, it's an incredible, amazing game.

I have Gunslinger in my steam library so I might give it a go in the near future. I keep looking for an excuse to install and play it but there's always another game I want to play a little more. 6-8 hours sounds great though.

So you mention the Janky Dueling mechanics. I enjoyed the previous game, CoJ: Bound in Blood, except for the increasingly BS duels you're forced to deal with throughout the game. It's the sole reason I don't think I've replayed Bound in Blood despite really enjoying it otherwise. Are the duels in gunslinger as bad as those? As in the timing to actually win a duel gets tighter and tighter as the game goes on. Made worse by the fact there's literally no reason given why the two main characters even bother playing by the rules of dueling when it's made quite clear as the game on they don't care about the rules, only the money.

Baffle2:
I've got it, but I'm at work until tonight. Then it's going to be swollen horse balls as far as the eye can see. (The horse balls is actually the only thing I know about this game, I bought it pretty much on the strength of enjoying the first one and hearing this one is better.)

The mixture of first person mode and testicle watch would be my very first port of call. An intimate analysis must be given. Though I do hear some horses give a proper good rear kick, so caution is advised, fellow bollock aficionado.

I really don't care about reviews so I wouldn't have expected them to be posted here since I don't look for them. On that matter I never cared about this series either but I have heard a lot of work was put in this game so I will give it a shot eventually, definitely not in my priority list though. I was bored of GTA5 mid-way through and gave up on it completely though (and I almost never leave games unfinished) so I'll be going in with barely any expectations. Hopefully I'm surprised.

Realistic horse balls? Well shit, that's my reason to buy a console right there!

87 GB download for Xbox One, and two discs as well.

Get rid of the horse balls, bring back RDR 1's hunting, and keep everything the same.

CyanCat47:

They only programmed horse testicles, afaik, so people who want some of that horse dick will have to wait for mods. Or DLC, if the popular demand turns out to be Big Enough.

MrCalavera:
people who want some of that horse dick will have to wait for mods. Or DLC

Shareholders: "Sell them the dicks."

Devs: *sells dicks*

Gamers: *buys dicks*

Devs: "THEY'RE BUYING THE DICKS!"

Shareholders: "....Excellent. Now remaster the dicks."

I'm a few hours in, just finished the train robbery, and so far I feel... "overwhelmed" is probably the best way to put it. I expected it to be basically Western GTA, because that's what the first one more or less was, but it isn't. Not at all. What it most reminds me of is, strangely enough, Mafia. Mafia was an odd little game because it took the, at that point still young, GTA formula to make something that was very... well, today we'd be using terms like "cinematic" and "immersive" to describe it but back then what it did was pretty avant-garde. I mean, it was a game about prohibition era mobsters with tommyguns and fedoras having shootouts with rival clans and car chases and all of that jazz. But in between all the action you spent a lot of time doing mundane stuff. Driving a cab, working in a warehouse and so on. The action sequences served the story and the story was more than just an excuse to have action sequences the player can participate in. Mafia was a cult classic and the two sequels were far more conventional in adhering to open world gameplay conventions of their respective time.

RDR2 is seems to have been made with a very similar philosophy in mind. Sure, it's a game about old west cowboys with six shooters and stetsons having shootouts with rival gangs and horse chases and all of that... bluegrass but there's a lot of riding and talking, hunting... it's slow and atmosphere driven and combined with the staggering amount of production value on display all of it seems strangely experimental. There's a lot of stuff in there that serves to immerse the player into this world rather than offering him instant gratification and while I'm into this kinda thing I'm sure to a lot of people it will feel like padding. I suspect that a lot of people who bought it aren't gonna finish it. Just a hunch.

I'm planning to do a detailed write-up of this once I'm finished with it and I don't want to waste all the good lines on this post but that's my verdict after the first few hours. If the game continues the way it started it might just be the most ambitious thing I've ever played.

While im waiting for PC version. only reason its getting so many 10s is because of rockstar.

the game still from what i heard has tap x to run mechanic. if it was not for rockstar it would have been getting 7 or 8. I like RDR1 because of wild west. it was 7/10 good game. not masterpiece.

How long before the 2 hours long "RDR2 is trash" rant videos start rolling out?

Silentpony:

ObsidianJones:

Silentpony:

The problem, at least to me, is they went for a hyper realistic game, where even the horse's nuts shrink in cold weather.
All westerns are the same once you get to hyper-realistic. So they should have gone parody game, along the vein of Blazing Saddles, or go completely out there. Like...a native american tribe is trying to stop the railroad from blowing up a sacred mountain, and you're hired to drive the Indians off the range for the first half of the game, because they 'savages' and scalp people, yadda yadda. At the half-way point you finally blow a hole through the mountain for the railroad and BOOM! You woke up a kaiju scorpion! And its rampaging across the land, heading for...the Big City.
And you have to team up with the tribes to stop the monster, and the countryside is filled with warring factions, maybe here's a scorpion worshiping tribe trying to stop you, smaller yet still big scorpions are attacking the homesteads, just really make it extreme!

That way there's something more to it than just an another cowboy game.

That reminds me, Cowboys and Aliens is a pretty underrated flick; at least in premise. It could have worked here in a game too. But realisms and authenticities seem to matter more than fun factor in Rockstar land.

B-Cell:
While im waiting for PC version. only reason its getting so many 10s is because of rockstar.

the game still from what i heard has tap x to run mechanic. if it was not for rockstar it would have been getting 7 or 8. I like RDR1 because of wild west. it was 7/10 good game. not masterpiece.

It's almost like Rockstar puts out quality titles and it's just you that has the problem with them.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here