Would I like Diablo 3?

So yeah, I have been playing few of the Blizzard games for a while. SC 1 and 2, HOTS, Overwatch, and Destiny 2 (lazy inclusion).

Now, there are two games listed on blizzard app that I have never tried; WOW and Diablo 3. After looking at Diablo Immortal trailer, I was pissed that it was an attempt at a cash grab, but wondered what kind of game Diablo 3 was for fans to get so upset even more. From the reputation of D1 and 2, and watching some gameplay videos, I have a basic idea of how Diablo games work. My questions are;

1. Does this game have grinding for gears/drops? If so, is it better or worse than Destiny 2?

2. I am probably the only person amongst my friends who is interested in D3, so I will probably be playing alone. Would it still be an enjoyable experience?

3. I never played D1or 2. Would I be lost on what's going on with the world?

4. Does this game have some sort of premium currency? You know, pay real money for cool-looking shit?

5. Is this game a "spamming" game? Just press one or two abilities over and over again to kill a horde of enemies?

6. Anything else to do besides killing a horde of monsters?

1. I mean, it practically invented the concept of grinding (it didn't but most people were first introduce to it in diablo)

2. Meh, not really, especially at higher level where a lot of class aren't really viable solo

3. Yeah quite a bit

4. No, there used to be an option to buy loot from an auction house using real currency that was dropped a long time ago

5. Yeah, 100% is

6. Nope, there's a tiny bit of PvP but it's mostly dead

So not a game for you, at all.

Meiam:
1. I mean, it practically invented the concept of grinding (it didn't but most people were first introduce to it in diablo)

2. Meh, not really, especially at higher level where a lot of class aren't really viable solo

3. Yeah quite a bit

4. No, there used to be an option to buy loot from an auction house using real currency that was dropped a long time ago

5. Yeah, 100% is

6. Nope, there's a tiny bit of PvP but it's mostly dead

So not a game for you, at all.

Number 2 is wrong. Unless you played vanilla diablo 3 back on day 1, Solo is definitely viable to 100% this game.

Albeit couch co-op is more fun you can definitely play this game and finish end game solo. Even on the highest difficulty.

1. Grinding is when it is not fun. I find it fun, but it is very much, kill for better loot so you can kill better for better loot.

2. I mostly played D3 solo, but you can play online with strangers, usually not so bad either. Everyone gets their own loot if I remember correctly. I never remember fighting over any.

3. Nope. I never played 1 or 2.

4. Not since the last time I played, no.

5. On the low difficulties, yes. On the higher difficulties you need to actually know what you're doing.

6. I mean, there are quests, it is not literally just shooting hordes of monsters, but most quest involve killing stuff.

I personally really love Diablo 3. Note I only ever played it on console, which from what I understand is different than on PC, cant really say too much on how though.

1) The entire point of Diablo (and similar games) is the loot hunt. Now, I can still enjoy (some of) these games and not care about loot (loot's a means to an end for me, not an end in of itself), but that's the core idea. As for Destiny, can't say, but the loot drops in D3 are pretty generous.

2) Yes. It can easily be played alone.

3) Probably not. When you install (at least with the PC version) it recaps the events of previous games. Also, there's a plenthora of tomes in the game that function as a codex of sorts, telling you about the world and whatnot. So, it should be fairly easy to get the hold of.

4) No.

5) Depends on what difficulty setting you're on. Almost all your abilities have cooldowns, so just spamming will work on lower difficulties (and by "lower" I mean "normal" or below, the game is pretty easy unless you crank up the difficulty), but there's some strategy. Basically, you can play a full difficulty spectrum.

6) I could get into semantics, but short answer, no. You'll spend 90% of your time killing stuff, 5% of your time dealing with vendors and items, and the remaining 5% doing "other" stuff (there's a fair amount of lore and characters to deal with if you're so inclined).

1. That depends distinctively on which parts of Destiny you find good or bad. The loot is certainly more mechanically versatile and powerful then Destiny. But with that, its also much harder to get the loot you specifically need/want at any given point. You'll get a lot of junk for stats or abilities you don't care about with not overmuch universally useful. Also Destiny has 100% guaranteed powerful drops based on weekly timegates, where Diablo is a more traditional grind where you can repeat stuff endlessly, but the droprates are generally lower rather then guaranteed to drop a higher level item.

2. Its probably better with friends, though I believe you can do matchmaking.

3. Yes.

4. A couple of DLCs, but otherwise not so much.

5. Yeah. Diablos probably one of the progenitors of the press 1-2-3-4 to kill things/not die style (now more commonly associated with MMO gameplay). I certainly find it incredibly dull for my personal opinion. So I ended up dropping it not terribly long after beating Inferno, whether anything ever really pops up that couldn't be largely defeated with a quick macro is unknown to me. There's a bit of positioning to consider at times, but mostly just using abilities in the right sequence.

6. Nope, thats the main of it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here