Embarrassingly bad game announcements

Since we're in the middle of a shit storm with the announcement of the new mobile only Diablo, I thought it'd be fun to look back at some really bad, embarrassing, cringey, or just simply poor announcements for a game and how it all went down.

Anyone remember Peggle? Probably not. Not many people I know of seem to care much for the titles, and it seems that everyone at E3 in 2013 didn't either. Observe.

I dunno what that was supposed to be, I dunno if it was supposed to get people hyped... but I heard 0 hype and less than 0 cheering. Maybe if there was more than a graphic and an overused song it might've generated interest, but nope, they zoomed over to Titanfall within seconds. Womp

Does the entire Xbox One announcement count?

Yeah, there's too many to count. They all just blend together in the default cringey-ness that is on-stage game announcements.

Elvis Starburst:

Anyone remember Peggle? Probably not. Not many people I know of seem to care much for the titles, and it seems that everyone at E3 in 2013 didn't either. Observe.

I dunno what that was supposed to be, I dunno if it was supposed to get people hyped... but I heard 0 hype and less than 0 cheering. Maybe if there was more than a graphic and an overused song it might've generated interest, but nope, they zoomed over to Titanfall within seconds. Womp

That seems suspiciously like a joke, really. Which I guess sucks if you're the guys who made Peggle or a fan of it (though when I looked it up, it apparently did relatively well anyhow).

As mentioned above me there, a lot of them kind of just blend in together. My personal favorite are the scripted multiplayer gameplay ones, where we get to see 3 interns from the PR department act like some learning AI was asked to do a Let's Play commentary video of the game (Anthem and the Division (IIRC) were some pretty famous ones).

The Diablo Immortal announcement mostly stood out because usually the amorphous corporate schmoozefest/faceless press blob that gets let into the stage show to begin with will prettymuch politely applaud anything on rough cues. Especially from major franchises. You do get the occasional flummoxed presenter when some dev with no PR training gets trotted out for some side title the publisher couldn't be bothered to put the good PR guys on, but the audience is still generally gracious.

votemarvel:

Why would a TV set-top box have games anyway? This is about gaming, not Microsoft's entertainment center.

Elvis Starburst:

BOOYAH!

I liked Peggle, and even as someone who liked Peggle, I don't think announcing the sequel would have gotten me hyped. Like, okay, it's a fun game, but...really? That's your big, exciting announcement?

I do hope this was intended as a joke, with the lead-in to Titanfall looking like it was already prepped. Otherwise...ugh.

There's so much truth in this one Rareware did that it hurts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfaN267lI_Y

votemarvel:

Oh, God, yes! Super Bunnyhop had pretty good insights about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23sy6hEEdxQ

PS: Back then it was 2013; who here still watches TV?

CaitSeith:
PS: Back then it was 2013; who here still watches TV?

I do.. But only really to fall asleep to, kinda like a white noise machine.

The sound of mass disappointment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR4jPtrDCLo

Sonys TLOU II presentation at E3 where they had everyone in a big tent and then moved them into an actual theatre halfway through the show was hilarious.

Yoshi178:
Sonys TLOU II presentation at E3 where they had everyone in a big tent and then moved them into an actual theatre halfway through the show was hilarious.

Well, first of all that wasn't the game on show being disappointing (to the fans anyway), and secondly it wasn't an announcement. It was Sony just acting snooty.

Peggle 2 will forever be in my mind. The epic jump in the air, the music blaring, the reveal,... and nobody gave a shit. Because it's fucking Peggle. That entire E3 spawned some fantastic YouTube compilations of some of the shit that went down.

$599 US Dollars!

https://youtu.be/IH2w2l1JTs4?t=24

This convinced me to get a 360. I hated doing that so much at the time.

CoCage:

$599 US Dollars!

https://youtu.be/IH2w2l1JTs4?t=24

This convinced me to get a 360. I hated doing that so much at the time.

Don't forget our friend GIANT ENEMY CRAB.

Poor Genji. That first game was so promising.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here