The greatest game of this decade so far

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Admittedly, I haven't played through a lot of modern triple-A video games, as my computer hasn't been updated since the release of the Orange Box. I don't really care, as there are not many modern big releases that interest me that much outside of The Dark Souls series, The Yakuza series, and Cuphead. I did consider upgrading my computer just for Yakuza 0 alone, but apparently, the PC port is very buggy. Cyberpunk looks amazing thus far, but I digress.

The four video games I've played through this decade that stand out the most in my mind are Undertale, Portal 2, Papers, Please, and Crimzon Clover. And of those four, I think that I probably like Undertale the most.

Undertale is by far and away one of the most endlessly creative games ever made, as well as one of the greatest video games of all time period. It's sweet, thought-provoking, brilliantly written, brilliantly designed, and has one of the greatest video game soundtracks ever composed. Temmie is certainly my favourite video game character to have debuted this decade as well. Undertale is this decade's GOAT. It's spectacular work of art that gives me hope in humankind.

Well, I can't imagine this going wrong...

Let's start with some standards - New Deus Ex, Witcher 3, Borderland 2, Far Cry 3, some sort of COD or Battlefield I won't care about, etc.

Anyway, This War of Mine. Being the literal opposite of most games, you are the innocent bystander. You make awful decisions against similarly defensely individuals. Astounding.

Valiant Heart was a great story on the terrors of war. Even when you are in the army, you feel as defenseless as those from This War of Mine,

Reigns. Kingdom of Tinder

Hand of Fate. Like MTG and a basic Arkham combat game combined

Renowned Explorers. A board game where you can win by being helping, terrorising or insulting. So many variable, so much time spent.

I mean, the answer is Skyrim.

You can keep your Skyrim. I'll stick with M&B Warband.

Also Just Cause 3. Nothing else from this decade I could really call 'outstanding'

Peggle 2 is the most epic game of the century, not just the decade.

Saelune:
I mean, the answer is Skyrim.

Wow... Probably. There were games that affected me more, but none that captured quite as much of my time as Skyrim. That first season of The Walking Dead is up there. The Last of Us and Bioshock: Infinite are contenders as well. There was a decent amount of "good" games this decade... maybe not so many "great" ones as prior decades though.

Persona 5 with Nier Automata as a close second.

Dark Souls 1-3
Mass Effect 2-3

Well I mean, is this just a 'list your favourite games since 2010'?

I which case, The Last of Us, The Witcher 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and God of War, I guess. A little typical as lists go, but there ya have it.

Casual Shinji:

I which case, The Last of Us, The Witcher 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and God of War, I guess. A little typical as lists go, but there ya have it.

I could see Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild beating out Skyrim. I don't agree with it, but those are two I could reasonably see do it.

Off the top of my head:

3) Diablo III
2) Xenoblade Chronicles
1) StarCraft II

I can name other contenders, but those three have all got a spot in my "top 20" list, so if nothing else, the 2010s have given me that at least.

Also note that I'm taking "last decade" as "since 2010." If you literally mean ten years, then I can start adding stuff like Killzone 2, Dead Space, and Gears of War 2.

Saelune:

Casual Shinji:

I could see Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild beating out Skyrim. I don't agree with it, but those are two I could reasonably see do it.

Well, Fall-Out 3, New Vegas, and Fall-Out 4 could also, as Bethesda's games just kinda end up doing the same thing with each new entry. I don't know, I like Skyrim well enough, but it just becomes a dungeon crawling, loot gathering/selling, and XP grinding affair the moment you get to Whiterun. I don't feel the characters or stories do much at all to make the world really come alive.

Grand Theft Auto 5 Single player.

It is the culmination of everything we have learned Through gaming and game developpment since it's inception.

It is Objectively the Mona Lisa of gaming.

Kerbal Space Program. Every time I work on a project about space (not infrequently), I want to play KSP instead.

Issue is there are so many different genres and they're all trying to do different things. Many people do not like or play certain types of games.

My personal pick is The Witcher III, but I'm also a massive fan of Stellaris, Total War: Warhammer, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, Far Cry 3, Dark Souls (series), or Telltale's first The Walking Dead.

Minecraft.

I'll go with Minecraft. As a phenomenon, it has been huge.

the December King:
Minecraft.

That's a really good point, while I wouldn't say it's still "going strong" the community is still alive and the franchise has spread to other media in ways that should not be possible.

Telltale games, netflix series, a movie... not to mention all the merchandising.

Abomination:

the December King:
Minecraft.

That's a really good point, while I wouldn't say it's still "going strong" the community is still alive and the franchise has spread to other media in ways that should not be possible.

Telltale games, netflix series, a movie... not to mention all the merchandising.

My only hesitation in mentioning it was as to whether it was considered a triple A franchise.

The Last of Us or Telltales The Walking Dead Season 1, boring choices I know but they were really impactful for me personally.

The Last of Us, probably.

Tales from the Borderlands.

FTL FTW.

the December King:
My only hesitation in mentioning it was as to whether it was considered a triple A franchise.

Why would that matter? Heck, the OP cited Undertale.

EDIT: Manatee makes a valid point.

Pyrian:
FTL.

Should've gone with "FTL FTW." :p

Xenoblade Chronicles

This always depend on what criteria you want to use. Like someone said you can make a very strong case for minecraft, I mean it was literally brought for 2.5 billions of dollars, not a lot of game can claim that.

Personally I'd go with dark soul (demon's soul started the ball rolling but dark soul perfected it).

As was said, skyrim is also a strong contender, but I find that it's not really revolutionary. It's really not that different from Oblivion before it and just has better hardware to help it make it more popular. I'm reticent to say a game that's really just an iteration should be considered game of the decades.

Pyrian:
FTL.

the December King:

Why would that matter? Heck, the OP cited Undertale.

Too true- it was his first sentence that mentioned AAA games that gave me initial pause, you see, but upon further reading I understood it was not mentioned as a rule.

Are we going by 2008-now, or 2010-now.

Would probably have to break it down by genre or something anyways.

I'm always a little leery of getting hyperbolic with "Greatest" too. Bioshock (the first one, haven't played 2, and good god Ifninite just went straight up its own a** while still being duller then dishwater) was mostly great, but also had a terrible hacking minigame shoved in every orifice (and stupidly bullet spongey normal human enemies, which is always a big detractor).

At a quick go, probably Dishonored 2 (the first one has another one of those glaring flaws with half the mechanics being invalid to the stealth premise). An entry that brings new mechanics and gameplay to its own series and genre, when the standard for ages now has simply been the inflation of bigger and shinier without adding anything new to the table (GTA being the shining example there). And fairly engaging on the narrative aspects that have become more prevalent over the last 15 years or so.

With my super narrow definition of video games as an art only Spec Ops: The Line and Undertale qualify (of the ones that I've played). That doesn't have to be the only criterion to top the decade, however. Terraria is the game I've had most fun playing.

President Bagel:
Temmie is certainly my favourite video game character to have debuted this decade as well.

wOAh

McElroy:
Spec Ops: The Line

That did deliver one hell of a gut punch, and was completely unexpected. Shame it was marketed so poorly and had development time WASTED on the multiplayer.

At the same point, it was a one-hit-wonder, because I don't think another game could do what The Line did because it was the first to do it and people were not looking out for that sort of thing... but after The Line people will have that nagging suspicion that the game is fucking with them.

Abomination:

McElroy:

That did deliver one hell of a gut punch, and was completely unexpected. Shame it was marketed so poorly and had development time WASTED on the multiplayer.

At the same point, it was a one-hit-wonder, because I don't think another game could do what The Line did because it was the first to do it and people were not looking out for that sort of thing... but after The Line people will have that nagging suspicion that the game is fucking with them.

Oh its been done in other games. And oddly, almost every single time its done in the same way. The choice to do the bad thing is forced without option of avoidance. Which takes most of the impact out. Its actually odd that it never comes up in games with choice systems (which tend to simply branch off in binary fashion without any come around or regret).

Spec Ops only really stands out because of the over-saturation of MM-FPSes at the time that were all busily fellating the military as the big damn heroes and ignoring any questionable practices thereof.

In an interactive media, to try and call out the player themselves, you need a better option then "Well you should've not played the game, derp. Why'd you even buy our crap to begin with".

As usual with stuff like this, my favorite game is the one I am enjoying at the time. What a waste of time it would be to try and rank games I like.

Abomination:

McElroy:

The first Homefront tried....

Mothro:
As usual with stuff like this, my favorite game is the one I am enjoying at the time. What a waste of time it would be to try and rank games I like.

I more see this as an opportunity to find a game I haven't played that sounds like something I'd enjoy.

But yes, this sort of competition is silly, especially when comparing totally different genres

Baffle2:
Kerbal Space Program. Every time I work on a project about space (not infrequently), I want to play KSP instead.

Marry Me.

My wife will understand. /joke

Yeah, I was seriously considering nominating this when I saw your post.

It doesn't help I saw First Man 2 weeks ago and now I keep thinking about spaceships and kerbal spaceships a lot.I've logged more time on that game then probably any other in my inventory and I haven't landed on anything past Duna.

Witcher 3 would be my other pick.

Dalisclock:

It doesn't help I saw First Man 2

The sequels come out so fast, don't they. Should've called it Second Man, though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here