MK11 gameplay revealed!

Pages PREV 1 2

hanselthecaretaker:
Jax support doesn?t look that bad. Most people are probably too focused on Geras now anyways, who seems more intriguing than Jax ever was. Sonya?s another that could?ve easily been retired now, along with Johnny Cage and Kano. But they?ll all be back per the popular vote. I was hoping for Tremor but doubt he?ll make it.

What was the last MK you played? I rather liked X?s pacing and feel, but appreciate that they?re going back to something less rushdown and pressure based to something more measured and tactical. I also think the main appeal goes far beyond the actual fighting mechanics, which are at the very least competently designed, holy grail of perfect balance be damned. It?s the characters, storyline, and the fact it has a metric shitton of content that have helped maintain its popularity.

Plus what other fighting game franchise really looks and as importantly sounds this good.

Intriguing is in the eye of the Beholder. A lot of people complain about Jax's design, but as a Black Martial Artist I couldn't tell you how happy I was with it.

Because we were Mainly Boxers Up Until Jax. Without the Ability to use Ki or whatever the mystical reason for Fireballs in said game's universe for some reason (Save for Mickey Rogers, but when I first saw him I thought he was White... but he's also a boxer).

Incidentally, that's one of the reason I got so pissed when they put Metal Arms on Jax. And then more so later when they ran it back that only the White Lotus had powers, and Jax's (and Sonya's) abilities came from tools.

From the rest of the World, they just see a Boring Black Guy Fighter. To players like me, we saw that we could be more than just freaking Boxers. Especially when we were more than just freaking Boxers. I was a Tae Kwon Do-ist for most of my teen life, before I went to College and started Jeet Kune Do. I LITERALLY just started Boxing this year because of how much the Stereotype weighed on me.

But here's Jax. A character who used his feet. A Character that could use Ki. Who wasn't a Boxer.

I've been here since the beginning. I went to Arcades to play Mortal Kombat 1. I even had UMK3 for the PC. Then I tried 4 and was... let down.

For a while, though, all we had was the Mortal Kombat games such as Deadly Alliance and Deception. I couldn't bring myself to buy them, but my best friend had them so we played it at his house.

When I got into the FGC proper, I was intrigued with seeing how people would play MK9 on Team Spooky and in Tournaments. I bought it, and... I really moved on into different fighting games. SF 3 Third Strike is my all-time favorite fighting game, but weirdly enough one of the only 2d fighting games I have patience for. I yearn for another Virtua Fighter and Project Justice. But I have Tekken, Soul Calibur, and to a SUPER lesser extent DOA.

But I still support MK. I have it for Steam and PS4. I will probably get MK 11 as well (Support the Scene). But my heart is just not in it like it was when I was a teen.

ObsidianJones:

hanselthecaretaker:
Jax support doesn?t look that bad. Most people are probably too focused on Geras now anyways, who seems more intriguing than Jax ever was. Sonya?s another that could?ve easily been retired now, along with Johnny Cage and Kano. But they?ll all be back per the popular vote. I was hoping for Tremor but doubt he?ll make it.

What was the last MK you played? I rather liked X?s pacing and feel, but appreciate that they?re going back to something less rushdown and pressure based to something more measured and tactical. I also think the main appeal goes far beyond the actual fighting mechanics, which are at the very least competently designed, holy grail of perfect balance be damned. It?s the characters, storyline, and the fact it has a metric shitton of content that have helped maintain its popularity.

Plus what other fighting game franchise really looks and as importantly sounds this good.

Intriguing is in the eye of the Beholder. A lot of people complain about Jax's design, but as a Black Martial Artist I couldn't tell you how happy I was with it.

Because we were Mainly Boxers Up Until Jax. Without the Ability to use Ki or whatever the mystical reason for Fireballs in said game's universe for some reason (Save for Mickey Rogers, but when I first saw him I thought he was White... but he's also a boxer).

Incidentally, that's one of the reason I got so pissed when they put Metal Arms on Jax. And then more so later when they ran it back that only the White Lotus had powers, and Jax's (and Sonya's) abilities came from tools.

From the rest of the World, they just see a Boring Black Guy Fighter. To players like me, we saw that we could be more than just freaking Boxers. Especially when we were more than just freaking Boxers. I was a Tae Kwon Do-ist for most of my teen life, before I went to College and started Jeet Kune Do. I LITERALLY just started Boxing this year because of how much the Stereotype weighed on me.

But here's Jax. A character who used his feet. A Character that could use Ki. Who wasn't a Boxer.

I've been here since the beginning. I went to Arcades to play Mortal Kombat 1. I even had UMK3 for the PC. Then I tried 4 and was... let down.

For a while, though, all we had was the Mortal Kombat games such as Deadly Alliance and Deception. I couldn't bring myself to buy them, but my best friend had them so we played it at his house.

When I got into the FGC proper, I was intrigued with seeing how people would play MK9 on Team Spooky and in Tournaments. I bought it, and... I really moved on into different fighting games. SF 3 Third Strike is my all-time favorite fighting game, but weirdly enough one of the only 2d fighting games I have patience for. I yearn for another Virtua Fighter and Project Justice. But I have Tekken, Soul Calibur, and to a SUPER lesser extent DOA.

But I still support MK. I have it for Steam and PS4. I will probably get MK 11 as well (Support the Scene). But my heart is just not in it like it was when I was a teen.

I see how the more technical 3D fighters would appeal to you more since you've actually practiced styles IRL. MK is definitely more relaxed in that it's made to be easy to play with a game pad now. The real challenge of it comes from competing itself.

Having said that, it's all just for entertainment value to me. I don't think a game could ever approach actual life skill in terms of fighting abilities, so that might be one reason the more technical fighters never had the same appeal to me.

I just saw the confirmed Roster List. And this story seems like it's going full Tekken. One family most important, everyone else is just fan service. It seems the power of the Cage family once again will be the most important thing

This trend makes me think my character choices are pointless. I used to like the open ended Arcade Mode in games. Yeah, my character can win! But with these modern games always making a definite story. Your character definitely died. I remember some friends getting pissed about what happened to their mains during the storyline.

It looks like my main might just be DLC. As more and more time comes, I'm getting less and less interested.

hanselthecaretaker:
I see how the more technical 3D fighters would appeal to you more since you?ve actually practiced styles IRL. MK is definitely more relaxed in that it?s made to be easy to play with a game pad now. The real challenge of it comes from competing itself.

Having said that, it?s all just for entertainment value to me. I don?t think a game could ever approach actual life skill in terms of fighting abilities, so that might be one reason the more technical fighters never had the same appeal to me.

Yeah, I get that my interests have strayed. I still support the scene where I can to keep the interest in making fighting games up. I might buy it at some point, but I don't know if I'll ever devote time to it.

ObsidianJones:
I just saw the confirmed Roster List. And this story seems like it's going full Tekken. One family most important, everyone else is just fan service. It seems the power of the Cage family once again will be the most important thing

This trend makes me think my character choices are pointless. I used to like the open ended Arcade Mode in games. Yeah, my character can win! But with these modern games always making a definite story. Your character definitely died. I remember some friends getting pissed about what happened to their mains during the storyline.

It looks like my main might just be DLC. As more and more time comes, I'm getting less and less interested.

hanselthecaretaker:
I see how the more technical 3D fighters would appeal to you more since you?ve actually practiced styles IRL. MK is definitely more relaxed in that it?s made to be easy to play with a game pad now. The real challenge of it comes from competing itself.

Having said that, it?s all just for entertainment value to me. I don?t think a game could ever approach actual life skill in terms of fighting abilities, so that might be one reason the more technical fighters never had the same appeal to me.

Yeah, I get that my interests have strayed. I still support the scene where I can to keep the interest in making fighting games up. I might buy it at some point, but I don't know if I'll ever devote time to it.

I mean, were the Cages really that important? MK2011 focused on Raiden and Liu Kang, X focused a lot on the 'next generation' as a whole, and Scorpion. Plus with the time stuff, anyone is open to return.

But honestly, until this point anyways, MK has actually been super committed to keeping dead characters dead. Just MK lets dead characters fight. Original Sub-Zero dies, becomes Noob Saibot for rest of series. Liu Kang dies and stays dead for rest of series until 2011 and time manipulation, oh hey, Kang is back! No wait, now he is dead again, and evil, and rules the NetherRealm. Neat.

Fatalities in Arcade mode were never 'canon'.

Mortal Kombat is one of the few series to really make impactful lasting story decisions. Not Tekken. Every Mishima has 'died' multiple times, and just been not dead. There have been multiple canonical 'toss into a volcano' moments in Tekken, but no one ever dies from it.

Saelune:
I mean, were the Cages really that important? MK2011 focused on Raiden and Liu Kang, X focused a lot on the 'next generation' as a whole, and Scorpion. Plus with the time stuff, anyone is open to return.

But honestly, until this point anyways, MK has actually been super committed to keeping dead characters dead. Just MK lets dead characters fight. Original Sub-Zero dies, becomes Noob Saibot for rest of series. Liu Kang dies and stays dead for rest of series until 2011 and time manipulation, oh hey, Kang is back! No wait, now he is dead again, and evil, and rules the NetherRealm. Neat.

Mortal Kombat is one of the few series to really make impactful lasting story decisions. Not Tekken. Every Mishima has 'died' multiple times, and just been not dead. There have been multiple canonical 'toss into a volcano' moments in Tekken, but no one ever dies from it.

From MK 2011, there's a definite switch. Lore is that Boon always disliked the Character Liu Kang. If that's true or not, You'll only hear murmurs. But the boy has been killed, demoted, and new main protagonists have been shopped around a lot. After killing Liu, it went to Shujinko, Taven, and back to Raiden who killed off Liu Kang yet again.

In the ending, the only heroes that really make it are Johnny Cage and Sonya.

Incidentally, Johnny Cage is the only non-White Lotus or Ninja-clan human that is left mystical. That lead to Kombat Kid Cassie becoming Buffy the Elder God Slayer. And apparently they are sticking as the main protagonists in MK11. The family line has been the closest to Main Protagonists Since Mk2011, as Raiden again kills Liu Kang and passes the responsibility of Earthrealm to the Soon to be Cages. To which Johnny Cage offscreen manhandles Shinnok.

Liu Kang was merely someone chosen by the White Lotus. NRS made the Cage Bloodline literally the only 'good guy weapon' to take on the Gods left over. The Mediterranean Cult bred its warriors for the Gods, now it's going to be used against them.

The Cages are being groomed to be that Important. Sadly.

By 'Going Tekken', I meant that the one bloodline will be the most impactful to the Story as a Whole. The lunacy of being genetic clones and being a memory and the awesome power of the Devil Gene aside... the whole story is driven on the Mishima Bloodline. That's the similarity I'm now sadly starting to see in MK. And I hope I'm wrong.

ObsidianJones:

Saelune:

From MK 2011, there's a definite switch. Lore is that Boon always disliked the Character Liu Kang. If that's true or not, You'll only hear murmurs. But the boy has been killed, demoted, and new main protagonists have been shopped around a lot. After killing Liu, it went to Shujinko, Taven, and back to Raiden who killed off Liu Kang yet again.

In the ending, the only heroes that really make it are Johnny Cage and Sonya.

Incidentally, Johnny Cage is the only non-White Lotus or Ninja-clan human that is left mystical. That lead to Kombat Kid Cassie becoming Buffy the Elder God Slayer. And apparently they are sticking as the main protagonists in MK11. The family line has been the closest to Main Protagonists Since Mk2011, as Raiden again kills Liu Kang and passes the responsibility of Earthrealm to the Soon to be Cages. To which Johnny Cage offscreen manhandles Shinnok.

Liu Kang was merely someone chosen by the White Lotus. NRS made the Cage Bloodline literally the only 'good guy weapon' to take on the Gods left over. The Mediterranean Cult bred its warriors for the Gods, now it's going to be used against them.

The Cages are being groomed to be that Important. Sadly.

By 'Going Tekken', I meant that the one bloodline will be the most impactful to the Story as a Whole. The lunacy of being genetic clones and being a memory and the awesome power of the Devil Gene aside... the whole story is driven on the Mishima Bloodline. That's the similarity I'm now sadly starting to see in MK. And I hope I'm wrong.

If anything, Scorpion is being bred to be the hero. For a long time he was the anti-hero, often considered a villain, but not really. Even in Deception, Shujinko, though protagonist, was foolish, and it was Scorpion who was the hero who defeats Onaga. Now though, Scorpion has completely shed his villainous side and in X was just flat out a good guy. And considering the trailer, it seems Scorpion will be one of the main people to reign Raiden in from his increasingly villainous role.

Saelune:
If anything, Scorpion is being bred to be the hero. For a long time he was the anti-hero, often considered a villain, but not really. Even in Deception, Shujinko, though protagonist, was foolish, and it was Scorpion who was the hero who defeats Onaga. Now though, Scorpion has completely shed his villainous side and in X was just flat out a good guy. And considering the trailer, it seems Scorpion will be one of the main people to reign Raiden in from his increasingly villainous role.

Here's hoping. If anything, Scorpion has been fleshed the hell out.

But the trailer was a hype trailer. I mean, if it was canon... problem over. Dark Raiden Crushed. Shouldn't even be in the game. But he is. And I think it was just showing how the game will be in tone.

Much like Scorpion vs Subzero in MKx Trailer. It's just a continuation of how Scorpion is constantly shown owning Sub Zero as Scorps is the Fan Favorite. In the storyline proper, Sub Zero was regulated to being a Yoda-Like Figure for the Kombat Kids, and Sub Zero actually squashes the beef between their clans by showing the memories of Sektor.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here