Will the Switch ever get a Direct competitor?

Pages PREV 1 2

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:
No you listed completely subjective reasons as to why the Switch is your least favorite current gaming system

just because you love TLOU and prefer to buy a PS4 over the other systems because PS4 has games like that and uncharted etc on it, doesn't mean everyone else gives a crap about those games too. like i said, i personally couldn't give less of a shit about TLOU just like you couldn't give less of a shit about Mario games

I merely listed that every gaming system has more games than the Switch and more exclusives (outside of Xbox). Those are objective facts. I didn't list TLOU in that post so why are you bitching about it? Even the gaming systems that would be my secondary or third systems (PC and smartphone) have more games and exclusives than the Switch. Thus, the Switch is only better than the Xbox when I'm considering multiple systems and that's without any personal tastes involved (just numbers).

you mean a console that's been out for 5 years has more games than a brand new console that hasn't even on the market for a full 2 years yet? No freaking way!

Phoenixmgs:
Plus, the Switch costs more than other systems, again, only numbers.

holy crap i can't wait to see you start saying how much better and more logical it is to buy a Switch instead of a PS5 because the Switch will have more games than the PS5 and be less expensive when that system comes out in a year or 2.

and FYI, the Switch is cheaper than both the PS4 and Xbox One were when they launched

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

easy, i'd much rather buy 10 quality games instead of buying 100 crappy games like COD

Looks like you're talking about personal tastes something we shouldn't be doing right?

just copying the master :)

Phoenixmgs:
And COD is just like Nintendo games where it's just the same game every release. It's hard to get excited for the same general games every generation. I've played Smash, DK, Zelda, Mario, etc 20+ years ago.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:
The only system with less exclusives than the Switch is the Xbox.

not true

2018 PS4 Exclusives:
-God of War 4
-Spiderman
-Detroit Become Human
-Yakuza Kiwami 2
-Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise

Switch 2018 exclusives
-Labo games
-Octopath Traveller
-Mario Tennis Ace's
-Kirby Star Allies
-Super Mario Party
-Pokemon Lets Go
-Super Smash Bros Ultimate

I'm talking the entire generation, not one year.

oh don't even get me started on the entire generation. i can name you a fucktonne more Nintendo exclusives throughout the generation if you REALLY want to compare how many exclusives Sony gets compared to Nintendo

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:
nothing Nintendo puts out will ever be a system seller in your eyes. hence why i said i doubt you'd ever buy a Nintendo System.

I literally just said the PS4 and Switch are tied at 2 in terms of exclusives I personally care about because of the Bayonetta series. Thus, I'd easily consider a Nintendo system over Sony if both systems had equal 3rd party support.

and that's just it. why do you Need to pick one over the other when you can just have both?

and don't say finance is the issue. you could easily just get a job and save up for both. you just don't want to and would rather say how much better Playstation is than everything else instead.

Yoshi178:
you mean a console that's been out for 5 years has more games than a brand new console that hasn't even on the market for a full 2 years yet? No freaking way!

It's not really hard to predict the kind of support a system will get based on history along with what it's presently getting. From the N64 on, Nintendo systems have gotten the least support. And, currently, the Switch is already not getting major releases like RE2, RDR, Sekiro, etc. So how is the Switch over its lifetime going to get more games than the PS4 or Xbone over their lifetimes?

holy crap i can't wait to see you start saying how much better and more logical it is to buy a Switch instead of a PS5 because the Switch will have more games than the PS5 and be less expensive when that system comes out in a year or 2.

and FYI, the Switch is cheaper than both the PS4 and Xbox One were when they launched

I said the WiiU was the better system for like the 1st year or two of the PS4/Xbone's life because it had better games. In the end, I knew the other systems would get better games because, you know, a lot can be learned from history.

But when the Switch came out and was competing for my gaming $$$, it was the most expensive option (and still is) than other secondary systems (everything but PS4) that have more games and more exclusives.

Naughty Dog made Jax and Daxter before Uncharted, they make TLOU as well. Guerrilla put out a new IP since Killzon with Horizon. Nintendo's IPs have been around mainly since the 80s and if not then, then the 90s. Sony releases far more new IPs (they are literally responsible for the Souls series) and varied games as well.

oh don't even get me started on the entire generation. i can name you a fucktonne more Nintendo exclusives throughout the generation if you REALLY want to compare how many exclusives Sony gets compared to Nintendo

Sony owns more devs than Nintendo plus they get more exclusive 3rd party support as well.

and that's just it. why do you Need to pick one over the other when you can just have both?

and don't say finance is the issue. you could easily just get a job and save up for both. you just don't want to and would rather say how much better Playstation is than everything else instead.

How does paying $400 to play 2 games make financial sense? It's not that I don't have the money, I don't feel that is at all a good use of money when I still have plenty of games that I've bought that I haven't played yet on the systems that I play on.

Phoenixmgs:

It's not really hard to predict the kind of support a system will get based on history along with what it's presently getting. From the N64 on, Nintendo systems have gotten the least support. And, currently, the Switch is already not getting major releases like RE2, RDR, Sekiro, etc. So how is the Switch over its lifetime going to get more games than the PS4 or Xbone over their lifetimes?

just like i said in 2017 where people like yourself scoffed at me, if the Switch hardware and 3rd party game sales keep consistently selling high numbers, the more and more 3rd party games will be made for Switch. videogames take development and don't just magically appear out of thin air in 1 day.

and i couldn't give less of a shit if the switch gets more total games on it's platform than the PS4 or Xbone in it's total lifespan, the better Switch does now the better support Nintendo will have for both the current platform and also it's future game console when the Switch 2 or whatever the fuck it's called comes out.

Phoenixmgs:
the Switch is already not getting major releases like RE2, RDR, Sekiro, etc.

The Switch already is getting major release's like Doom Eternal, Mortal Kombat 11, Crash N-Sane Trilogy, CTR remastered, Warframe, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, etc

Phoenixmgs:
Naughty Dog made Jax and Daxter before Uncharted, they make TLOU as well. Guerrilla put out a new IP since Killzone with Horizon. Nintendo's IPs have been around mainly since the 80s and if not then, then the 90s. Sony releases far more new IPs (they are literally responsible for the Souls series) and varied games as well.

you said Sony put's out more exclusive's. i couldn't give less a shit if they're new IP's or not. the fact is, Nintendo systems pump out shitloads more exclusive's than Sony's do

and as for sony releaseing more varied games:

Phoenixmgs:
Sony owns more devs than Nintendo plus they get more exclusive 3rd party support as well.

we're talking about how many exclusive's the systems get, not d**k size comparing which one has more developers or which gets more specifically exclusive 3rd Party support.

don't get me started on how much exclusive's Nintendo Switch/Wii U get compared to the PS4 which is what we were just talking about.

Phoenixmgs:
How does paying $400 to play 2 games make financial sense?

Switch was $300 when it launched in America. PS4 was $400.

and how does paying $400 to play 1 game make financial sense?

Yoshi178:
just like i said in 2017 where people like yourself scoffed at me, if the Switch hardware and 3rd party game sales keep consistently selling high numbers, the more and more 3rd party games will be made for Switch. videogames take development and don't just magically appear out of thin air in 1 day.

and i couldn't give less of a shit if the switch gets more total games on it's platform than the PS4 or Xbone in it's total lifespan, the better Switch does now the better support Nintendo will have for both the current platform and also it's future game console when the Switch 2 or whatever the fuck it's called comes out.

The point of gaming platforms is to get software and not much else. You don't care how much software your gaming platform gets? That's pretty weird. You mean just like when the Wii sold like hotcakes and that translated into no support for the WiiU? There's pretty basic and easy reasons why PlayStations, Xboxes, and PCs get all the games and Nintendo just doesn't, it's been happening for now 5 Nintendo gens where the systems don't get games, it ain't going to change if Nintendo keeps putting out the same type of systems. History teaches you a lot.

The Switch already is getting major release's like Doom Eternal, Mortal Kombat 11, Crash N-Sane Trilogy, CTR remastered, Warframe, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, etc

The Switch is also not getting lots and lots of other major releases for the same reasons the Wii and WiiU didn't get major releases. There was that initial 1-year period where the WiiU got the major releases on even the same date as the other systems like getting Batman Arkham Origins the same exact time as the other systems. There's a very specific reason why that happened and why Nintendo systems normally don't have that happen. That's all Nintendo would have to do to get all the major releases but they just don't do it.

you said Sony put's out more exclusive's. i couldn't give less a shit if they're new IP's or not. the fact is, Nintendo systems pump out shitloads more exclusive's than Sony's do

and as for sony releaseing more varied games:

Your proof?

New IPs are important because every subsequent sequel to any franchise provides diminishing returns due to it being less and less of a fresh experience every time.

5 games that take place on earth = every game being the same?

we're talking about how many exclusive's the systems get, not d**k size comparing which one has more developers or which gets more specifically exclusive 3rd Party support.

don't get me started on how much exclusive's Nintendo Switch/Wii U get compared to the PS4 which is what we were just talking about.

More studios that a publisher controls means the more games it can publish, basic logic. PS4 has almost as many exclusives as the WiiU and Switch combined. So it takes 2 Nintendo systems to outdo a single Sony system.

Switch was $300 when it launched in America. PS4 was $400.

and how does paying $400 to play 1 game make financial sense?

Bloodborne is a slightly above average game honestly. If you like Bloodborne, wouldn't you like just about every other PS4 exclusive?

Seth Carter:
A tablet that can run Steam and connect a bluetooth controller.

Not really a big ask all in all. And probably Apple or Samsung could already do it if they were bothered.

Though there is the same problem that the passing fart in the wind that was "SteamBoxes" had. Which is to actively breach the console market with Steam (or whichever of its competitors), you immediately need a filter to get rid of all the games the system can't run, or means to lock settings on games to where they can run.

Sony could also still make an effort at it. You get into portables and the two flip positions and its Sony who's poisoned their well with a bunch of slapdash efforts and abrupt support drops, but little is stopping them from trying their own climb out of that other then a willingess to invest in a portable/hybrid.

Good tablets and even some phones pretty much made the portable market obsolete outside of the Switch so I do not think there really is a market for new portable competitors. Nintendo has an existing fan base that supports it is the only way it really survives.

As it is, if I wanted to I could just run emulators for existing Nintendo games and play them on my tablet. This can be done for most games that exist already so I am not sure why anyone needs a dedicated portable just for this outside of a durable toy for small children.

Lil devils x:

Good tablets and even some phones pretty much made the portable market obsolete outside of the Switch so I do not think there really is a market for new portable competitors. Nintendo has an existing fan base that supports it is the only way it really survives.

As it is, if I wanted to I could just run emulators for existing Nintendo games and play them on my tablet. This can be done for most games that exist already so I am not sure why anyone needs a dedicated portable just for this outside of a durable toy for small children.

Because people aren't cheapskates and don't want to muckaroud with a dodgy emulator? Switch is easy.

All it needs is a cyberpunk Hollywood-ified hacker mmo game that makes use of its portability and open wi-fi of the world, where you can hack other players by locating their online accounts in game, and where you can design your own simulated suite of programs. Think Netrunner but everyone is a Shaper.

Co-ordinated attacks to hit certain systems you can't do on your own, integrated chatroom as per random server log in each session, grief other players, trade software you made, integrate the touchscreen and create art attached to them so you can give your custom programs a personal touch, customise a virtual computer from moneyyou get from jobs, or other players paying you for information or programs or simply as a gift, random timed events, and emergent storyline based on data you manage to pilfer along the way.

Have a simulated banking account, and random background money transfer traces or be able to loot other player's accounts.

Basically environmental storytelling of a multi megacorporate shadow war. The nature of the stories are following a trail of crumbs of a multiplicity of corporate conspiracies. So you happen across a picture of a murder that was covered up, and that becomes your storyline. The random nature of their happenstance making it fresh and sells the idea that you can't know everything and sometimes that timed event data might be traded by players to generate as if an information economy.

I'd dig the shit out of a game like that. Uniquely suited to the Switch, I feel. I love the idea of social videogaming but few things actually tickle my interests, and I feel like videogame developers aren't even trying to create new experiences of gaming.

You'd think someone by now would experiment with a truly 'Player Ecosystem Videogame' to coin a genre of videogaming. You could call it 'Pleco'. Not only that but think about the stealth psychology experiments you could run as players play the game through maufacturing a careful network of changes, timed events, analyzing behaviour dynamics of players as they respond to the new, highly tailorable stimuli? Not that one would do that 'cos clearly that would be unethical. But it would make for some interesting research possibilities.

Yoshi178:

Talk about cherry picking.

I could just throw on screenshots of Mario Kart on Wii, Wii-U and Switch and they'd probably all look the same.

Or some screenshots of the New Super Mario Brothers series on DS, Wii, Wii-U and soon to be Switch.

Or some screenshots of Melee, Brawl, whatever the Wii-U version was called and Ultimate.

Where do you hang out that you actually come across those sorts of pictures and have them ready to use in posts like this? 😂🤣

Honestly, I think that mobile phones have pretty much eaten the handheld market for the most part. Nintendo can still pull it off thanks to its handheld legacy and the strength of its IPs (even if it is the same thing over and over), but I doubt Sony will try again, and I can't really see any other company being willing to invest the money required to entering a market with a pretty questionable future.

bluegate:

Yoshi178:
confirmation bias

Talk about cherry picking.

I could just throw on screenshots of Mario Kart on Wii, Wii-U and Switch and they'd probably all look the same.

Or some screenshots of the New Super Mario Brothers series on DS, Wii, Wii-U and soon to be Switch.

Or some screenshots of Melee, Brawl, whatever the Wii-U version was called and Ultimate.

Where do you hang out that you actually come across those sorts of pictures and have them ready to use in posts like this? 😂🤣

Probably made them himself. You can whip one up in 5 minutes. Less. Like this:

I would never confuse the perpetrators of "grasslands-desert-forest-jungle-ice world-fire world-boss" for paragons of originality. Especially when all of their characters have been stuck on the same grind, fighting the same enemies for the same reasons and with the same results for 30ish years.

bluegate:

Well the Mario Kart that's on the Wii U is literally the same game that's on the Switch just with less content. lol

in fact what's even crazier about Mario Kart 8 just being a port on the Switch is that a port has managed to sell over 15 million copies lol

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Lil devils x:

Because people aren't cheapskates and don't want to muckaroud with a dodgy emulator? Switch is easy.

All it needs is a cyberpunk Hollywood-ified hacker mmo game that makes use of its portability and open wi-fi of the world, where you can hack other players by locating their online accounts in game, and where you can design your own simulated suite of programs. Think Netrunner but everyone is a Shaper.

Co-ordinated attacks to hit certain systems you can't do on your own, integrated chatroom as per random server log in each session, grief other players, trade software you made, integrate the touchscreen and create art attached to them so you can give your custom programs a personal touch, customise a virtual computer from moneyyou get from jobs, or other players paying you for information or programs or simply as a gift, random timed events, and emergent storyline based on data you manage to pilfer along the way.

Have a simulated banking account, and random background money transfer traces or be able to loot other player's accounts.

Basically environmental storytelling of a multi megacorporate shadow war. The nature of the stories are following a trail of crumbs of a multiplicity of corporate conspiracies. So you happen across a picture of a murder that was covered up, and that becomes your storyline. The random nature of their happenstance making it fresh and sells the idea that you can't know everything and sometimes that timed event data might be traded by players to generate as if an information economy.

I'd dig the shit out of a game like that. Uniquely suited to the Switch, I feel. I love the idea of social videogaming but few things actually tickle my interests, and I feel like videogame developers aren't even trying to create new experiences of gaming.

You'd think someone by now would experiment with a truly 'Player Ecosystem Videogame' to coin a genre of videogaming. You could call it 'Pleco'. Not only that but think about the stealth psychology experiments you could run as players play the game through maufacturing a careful network of changes, timed events, analyzing behaviour dynamics of players as they respond to the new, highly tailorable stimuli? Not that one would do that 'cos clearly that would be unethical. But it would make for some interesting research possibilities.

Do you realize how many Switch's people can buy for the price of a high end tablet or phone? It is the switch that is cheap in comparison. It isn't about cost, it is about convenience. People do not want to have to lug around multiple devices, and since they are already carrying these things around with them, they just play games on it as it is instead of having to carry an additional device to what they are already carrying with them. People are willing to pay more to have their devices consolidated so they can carry less with them that has more functions.

Sure a dedicated desired game would increase sales short term, people always want to have the " latest trend" but that is often short lived and then the device goes into the pile with the rest of the devices that did such to collect dust after a while. *Looks glaringly at my stack of Old Game Boy's and PSP's*

After the novelty wears off they toss it aside and still grab their phone to take with them.

Yoshi178:

bluegate:

Well the Mario Kart that's on the Wii U is literally the same game that's on the Switch just with less content. lol

in fact what's even crazier about Mario Kart 8 just being a port on the Switch is that a port has managed to sell over 15 million copies lol

Just like COD lol

Lil devils x:
Do you realize how many Switch's people can buy for the price of a high end tablet or phone? It is the switch that is cheap in comparison.

My $80 smartphone plays pretty much all the games on mobile. I can buy almost 4 phones for the price it costs for a Switch. Plus, the phones have better games (digital board games) and a bigger library than the Switch to boot. I can't play Through the Ages or Sentinels of the Multiverse on a Switch while I'm waiting to get a haircut like I did yesterday.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

bluegate:

Just like COD lol

Lil devils x:
Do you realize how many Switch's people can buy for the price of a high end tablet or phone? It is the switch that is cheap in comparison.

My $80 smartphone plays pretty much all the games on mobile. I can buy almost 4 phones for the price it costs for a Switch. Plus, the phones have better games (digital board games) and a bigger library than the Switch to boot. I can't play Through the Ages or Sentinels of the Multiverse on a Switch while I'm waiting to get a haircut like I did yesterday.

And those are just the low end mobiles, when you start looking at what the high end tablets and phones can do, there is no real reason to have any other device. Tablets and phones have both the low end and high end market covered.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

bluegate:

Just like COD lol

No COD release's sequels all the time.
it's more like the Uncharted games and TLOU. the original Uncharted Trilogy and TLOU games got put on the PS4. lol

Lil devils x:

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Lil devils x:

Do you realize how many Switch's people can buy for the price of a high end tablet or phone? It is the switch that is cheap in comparison. It isn't about cost, it is about convenience. People do not want to have to lug around multiple devices, and since they are already carrying these things around with them, they just play games on it as it is instead of having to carry an additional device to what they are already carrying with them. People are willing to pay more to have their devices consolidated so they can carry less with them that has more functions.

Sure a dedicated desired game would increase sales short term, people always want to have the " latest trend" but that is often short lived and then the device goes into the pile with the rest of the devices that did such to collect dust after a while. *Looks glaringly at my stack of Old Game Boy's and PSP's*

After the novelty wears off they toss it aside and still grab their phone to take with them.

and yet 32 million people don't seem to care and don't mind buying a dedicated gaming device like the Switch. lol

Yoshi178:

Lil devils x:

Addendum_Forthcoming:

and yet 32 million people don't seem to care and don't mind buying a dedicated gaming device like the Switch. lol

Like I said before, Nintendo has a dedicated fanbase. Hell I have a pile of Nintendo handhelds sitting there as well. I also have the PlayStation handhelds, but that does not mean that the market is big enough that new guys will be able to get a foot in the door when it is easier just to make games that will work on phones and tablets. It is a matter of if the market is enough to support competition, and I don't think Nintendo's success will transfer over to competitors.

In addition, many people view Nintendo devices more as "durable toys", like I stated above, targeting children rather than more of a computer for adults. Many parents don't feel comfortable buying a phone for their 5 year old, but they will buy them a switch.

Lil devils x:

Yoshi178:

Lil devils x:

Like I said before, Nintendo has a dedicated fanbase. Hell I have a pile of Nintendo handhelds sitting there as well. I also have the PlayStation handhelds, but that does not mean that the market is big enough that new guys will be able to get a foot in the door when it is easier just to make games that will work on phones and tablets. It is a matter of if the market is enough to support competition, and I don't think Nintendo's success will transfer over to competitors.

In addition, many people view Nintendo devices more as "durable toys", like I stated above, targeting children rather than more of a computer for adults. Many parents don't feel comfortable buying a phone for their 5 year old, but they will buy them a switch.

ah yes, the age old "Nintendo is for kids" argument. i was wondering when that would show up in this thread.

you could easily say the same about Sony fans.

if a Nintendo system does poorly they're Nintendoomed.
if a Nintendo system does well, people go "B-B-But only kids and soccer moms buy that stuff"

it's always the same thing. why are you guys so threatened by the companies success?

Yoshi178:
if a Nintendo system does well, people go "B-B-But only kids and soccer moms buy that stuff"

it's always the same thing. why are you guys so threatened by the companies success?

Who is "You guys" to be threatened? I like Nintendo and have all their systems. I <3 my Pok?mon. LOL

Yoshi178:
it's more like the Uncharted games and TLOU. the original Uncharted Trilogy and TLOU games got put on the PS4. lol

My comment was pertaining to Nintendo and Activision being able to release the same game for 20 years or so and have it sell 10s of millions. Nintendo figured out that they could just port the previous entry vs making a "Switch" version and people didn't give a shit.

And don't forget how Nintendo screws over their own customers by pushing current-gen titles to their next system like Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild. Sony will release killer apps for their current system like TLOU when they are launching their new system in a few months.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

My comment was pertaining to Nintendo and Activision being able to release the same game for 20 years or so and have it sell 10s of millions. Nintendo figured out that they could just port the previous entry vs making a "Switch" version and people didn't give a shit.

And don't forget how Nintendo screws over their own customers by pushing current-gen titles to their next system like Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild. Sony will release killer apps for their current system like TLOU when they are launching their new system in a few months.

you seriously think Sony wouldn't have been reselling the shit out of Uncharted for 20 years if they made the original game sooner? LOL

this is like the 3rd time Sony is putting out the original Medievil game when that comes out on PS4 this year. and god only knows how many damn Ratchet & Clank games they keep pumping out.

Yoshi178:
you seriously think Sony wouldn't have been reselling the shit out of Uncharted for 20 years if they made the original game sooner? LOL

this is like the 3rd time Sony is putting out the original Medievil game when that comes out on PS4 this year. and god only knows how many damn Ratchet & Clank games they keep pumping out.

Releasing a remaster/remake to newer systems is different that having your killer apps just be the same games on your current system. Smash and Mario Kart have been the same games forever and Nintendo acts like they are NEW games. WOW has changed more over time than those series. Uncharted, Medievil, or Shadow of the Colossus remakes/remasters aren't being marketed as new killer apps that you need a PS4 for. It's more like "hey, if you really like such and such game or you missed it before, you can play on PS4". If not, we got all these other NEW games for our NEW system, which is what you bought the system for.

Lil devils x:

Yoshi178:

Who is "You guys" to be threatened?

Projection is my guess. Too many keks and shitty .jpgs.
Is Kingdom Hearts even a good pick for mocking fans? The series is equal-parts Sony and Nintendo exclusive. Granted, Nintendo got the shitty handheld side of the deal, but still. Or maybe it's because KH3 came out on both PS4 and Xbone but not on Switch. Like just about every other game.

Yoshi178:

I dunno, because then people have to acknowledge that games as a whole were founded as entertainment for kids i.e. toys and that somehow wounds people who take them WAY too damn seriously

Aiddon:

Yoshi178:

I dunno, because then people have to acknowledge that games as a whole were founded as entertainment for kids i.e. toys and that somehow wounds people who take them WAY too damn seriously

Or.
People want to experience with the possibilities of the medium rather than limiting themselves to a single formula (that happens to be primarily aimed at kids). Imagine a buff who only watches Pixar. Nothing wrong with it but there's so much more to animation.

Lil devils x:

Right, but I have a decent tablet for work and carrying around a decent controller for it would be annoying. The Switch is pretty easy to carry around for what you get, and any high end tablet is going to chew up more space because the expectation would be at least a 9.5'' screen or bigger. Tack on a controller and that will already be annoying to carry around.

I actually prefer the Samsung Note series of phones compared with tablets for my job. The Samsung Note bascally trumps all tablets and offers more research-conducive fuctionality and communications, with ease of information transfer.

The Switch is comfortable because the ergonomics of the devices let you play it pretty much anywhere, and actually be able to play it competitively.

I mean your argument flies in the face of success. The Switch is useful, and fun, and easy for social gaming, and has a ton of features, and was marketed well. Total sales are incrementally steady, and I wouldn't be surprised if total volume reaches 30-35 millio y the close of 2019. And this is inspite that saturation of tablets. So we need to examine dynamics.

So it's not really a novelty, there's a steadyigly growing market base, and speaking as a consumer I see why. One reason I like the Switch is because unlike my Note, when I'm holding it it doesn't feel like work.

People don't just want multimedia/multiplatform devices for every device they carry, they also want to compartmentalize their experiences as everybody in late-stage capitalism will find attractive.

Bringing it full focus, boardgaming is my favourite form of gaming. Because it's social, and humans are interesting, and mechanically they're better as mechanics are king... but I spend a lot of time gaming on the Switch playing Monster Hunter with friends precisely because Monster Hunter is an experience best felt with everybody in the room.

Where you can heckle people for fainting, you can call someone an arsehole, where you 'cheer and jeer'. And a device that pretends that isn't fun, or tries to colonize it while reminding you of work/study, is not going to be as user friendly in the world as is.

Videogame and console devs seem to forget there's extroverts like me that like other people. That aren't autistic shut-ins that actually want new ways to spend time with others. And the Switch fulfils by either being easy local co-op, or filling the void of (public) transport to meet other people while disappearing into a tote bag and especally not feeling like work/study.

So the Switch is clever lie that, and it was an uncatered market on the VG scene. Which is one big aspect why I think it's doing so well. It's almost as if I'd like vdeogame devs to explore new types of social gaming for a reason...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here