Anthem the Demo impressions

Pages PREV 1 2

I did tentatively download the thing again to give it another go in the public demo this weekend, if the whole crashy thing was alleviated.

Monitoring the reddit though, everything is worse, and even more things are breaking. A ton more people are reporting the game just crashing itself right out to dashboard/desktop. The PS4 version is somehow screwing up the sound across the entire system (on PS menus and party chat, not just in game). PC's got flags helicoptering into orbit until the game crashes, and chunks of the map just becoming not there (not even unrendered, though thats occurring too, but walls literally vanish so you can walk through). And the pinnacle mission of the demo crashing 99% of the time and returning everyone back to the hub, minus their loot, but not refunding any resources used. Also some reports of folks having their level randomly reset back to 1. And the tank class having its health just kind of randomly change.

So from what I've observed with my own grubby mitts (cos pre-ordering's for suckas! ;) and people with actual money), it's a clunky Warframe, except all the warframes are now Iron Man suits and all the enemies are now destiny enemies but also maybe Andromeda enemies. However, I like it more than destiny as it is, due to the lack of 'Saturday morning cartoon' level writing that wants to take itself seriously and pissing all over the initial sci-fi intrigue by doing so. And the flying about is alright, but it feels like there should be a button for cool yet utterly pointless stunts such as swirly-whirls and front-flips.

Oh...shit. That sounds precisely like the sort of thing that would be held back for cosmetic dlc. Fuck. EA can piss right off if they gonna pull that.

Still, not as bad as destiny. That's something, right? Riiiight??

I downloaded the demo out of morbid curiosity to try it out and it runs like garbage regardless of what settings I use, which really shouldn't be happening on the PC I have.

Resident Evil 2 runs pretty much flawlessly though... which is a much better looking game than Anthem.

Silentpony:
RIP Bioware. You'll be missed.

I made my peace with the demise of BioWare in 2013.

Zeraki:

Resident Evil 2 runs pretty much flawlessly though... which is a much better looking game than Anthem.

It's a much better looking game, but with much MUCH smaller areas to load and a much slower movement speed. It's much easier to make a game look almost photo-realistic when you only need to load a hallway and a couple of rooms, so that's not really a great comparison.

I agree with a lot of sentiments forum posters made here about the game not being well-optimized and the world and its characters not being very interesting.

It's hard for me to let go. I know that things haven't been the same and EA is pulling a lot of the same anti-consumer tricks as it's been up to and a lot of the Bioware veterans like David Gaider and James Ohlen left the company and a company is just a name and not necessarily the people who work there.

But... I just can't denounce Bioware and maybe that's a fault of mine.

I see a developer at least attempting to do 'the right thing' but doing it incompetently and perhaps for more monetary reasons than out of the goodness of their hearts. I see developers attempting to put representation first but at the cost of things such as animation and writing. I see people in a company that mean well but get caught up in drama.

I don't know. Part of me still likes Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition and SWTOR. And whenever I hear stories about them helping queer representation, I get a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/11/12/video-games-company-creates-fake-game-to-help-a-lesbian-couple-get-engaged/

I know Bioware isn't the only sole developer of queer representation. I just wish people wouldn't be so quick to scapegoat others for failings of a developer and a publisher.

http://blog.bioware.com/2019/02/04/onward-to-launch/?utm_campaign=anth_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_anthem-opendemo-recap&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=56368&ts=1549318631418

There's having your head in the sand, and then there's this.

Like, this is what This Week at Bungie does all the time, right down to the user-content distractions, but even they will acknowledge some discontent or flaw, even if they pass it off as a misunderstanding and throw it to the nebulous live team.

Seth Carter:
http://blog.bioware.com/2019/02/04/onward-to-launch/?utm_campaign=anth_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_anthem-opendemo-recap&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=56368&ts=1549318631418

Like, this is what This Week at Bungie does all the time, right down to the user-content distractions, but even they will acknowledge some discontent or flaw, even if they pass it off as a misunderstanding and throw it to the nebulous live team.

It's PR. They're trying to make the game look good before launch. Standard AAA tactic.

ReservoirAngel:
To think, they could have given us a Mass Effect Remastered Trilogy instead... or Dragon Age remastered.... or KOTOR remastered... or just a new KOTOR game...

Can't say I'm fond of the idea that remasters are preferable to new games.

Gordon_4:

I fucking adore Jade Empire and would love a sequel or a remaster.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/02/05/jade-empire-trademark-2019/

Burnouts3s3:

Seth Carter:

It's PR. They're trying to make the game look good before launch. Standard AAA tactic.

PR was them saying the demo build was 6 weeks behind and not reflective of the launch product. Which is nonsense and actually makes them look worse if you look at it logically, but at least a spin that addressed reality.

This is just obvious denial or blatant lying at a ridiculous level to anyone with a functioning ability to look anywhere on the internet. Even the echo chamber of fan boys left on their subreddit noticed that enough that its the top rated reply mentioning it.

As the 6 week old thing goes. Well that means they knew about the critical bugs with the infini-load and the big boss missin collapsing server 6/4/2 weeks before the demo and didn't think to mention it might be an issue, or even push their first impression demo back to get a fix in. Or they just discovered those with the demo, and now they have 6 weeks development potentially built ontop of those issues that they might have to redo completely. Neithers a great look.

Seth Carter:

Burnouts3s3:

Seth Carter:

PR was them saying the demo build was 6 weeks behind and not reflective of the launch product. Which is nonsense and actually makes them look worse if you look at it logically, but at least a spin that addressed reality.

This is just obvious denial or blatant lying at a ridiculous level to anyone with a functioning ability to look anywhere on the internet. Even the echo chamber of fan boys left on their subreddit noticed that enough that its the top rated reply mentioning it.

As the 6 week old thing goes. Well that means they knew about the critical bugs with the infini-load and the big boss missin collapsing server 6/4/2 weeks before the demo and didn't think to mention it might be an issue, or even push their first impression demo back to get a fix in. Or they just discovered those with the demo, and now they have 6 weeks development potentially built ontop of those issues that they might have to redo completely. Neithers a great look.

Fair enough.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or