Are Anime, or in this case Shonen based Video games on the rise?

First it was Dragon Ball FighterZ and Xenoverse then it was Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise.

But for this year and the next we are now gonna be seeing:

One Piece World Seeker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohLckxjiwWI

Dragon Ball Project Z, an Action RPG DBZ game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2XPrFeH79Y

And Jump Force, a crossover 3D Arena fighter with all Shonen anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVdDwH70xiM

Then again I don't know if any of these upcoming games will be good games or just throwaway cash ins, but DBZ FighterZ was a success and I haven't heard anything bad about Lost Paradise.

No, there was always a constant stream of them. What you have now is a combination of a much larger percentage of them being sold outside Japan as well as a few of them being genuinely excellent games (especially FighterZ) which makes them seem more noticeable.

Jump Force is a game in the tradition of Shonen Jump crossover fighting games that started with Jump Super Stars on the DS back in like 2005 (though the series took a downturn ever since it went 3D, the 2D games were the ideal platform fighter in the vein of Smash while still having typical but simplified fighter mechanics such as canceling moves and combos and so on) , there's also dozens of one piece games and about twice as many DB ones, just very few of them were released out of Japan and even fewer were any good.

Yeah there always used to be plenty, although both gaming and anime are bigger than they used to be, so there's more money to be made from releasing an adaptation so there number probably increased. Also making non AAA video game is getting cheaper since there are more engine available and I wouldn't be surprised if they recycle a lot of asset between sequel and maybe even different games.

Like there were 3 dynasty warrior gundam game in 4 years for the same console, I doubt every one had entirely new asset.

Doesn't seem like a trend of more titles than before. Didn't Bleach have like a dozen PS2 releases alone?

In fact, can we get a US-released Bleach game for the current gen? I'll propbably check out Jump Force, but I'd rather have something solely around franchises I've followed.

They've always been made, it's more that the generation who grew up with anime now has serious buying power and thus there's more visibility. Furthermore, Japan's now resurgent in the games industry after going through the Japanophobic previous generation so games like Yakuza, Nioh, Xenoblade, Persona, etc are getting a LOT of attention

Something Amyss:
Doesn't seem like a trend of more titles than before. Didn't Bleach have like a dozen PS2 releases alone?

In fact, can we get a US-released Bleach game for the current gen? I'll propbably check out Jump Force, but I'd rather have something solely around franchises I've followed.

Bleach fanboy or fangirl I presume?

I always thought that show had a far more better protagonist then fucking Naruto, but just never got into it all the same.

Samtemdo8:

Honestly, I never got past the filler arc with those not-vampires. I think that was season four or five.

I brought up Bleach games mostly because I knew of prior iterations. Also., I had fun with them, so it got me thinking a new one would be cool. The series struck me as very video game-y in the first place.

I'm tangentially familiar with later arcs' characters mostly through exposure from games. Generally, this doesn't elevate one to fangirl, but...I enjoy the games. Kinda like the people who play WWE games but can't name anyone who's not The Rock or John Cena.

I can think of other games I'd rather see, but I doubt many people are clamoring for a Tekkaman Blade game.

Samtemdo8:

Something Amyss:

I always thought that show had a far more better protagonist then fucking Naruto, but just never got into it all the same.

Bleach started really strong and had great 70something episodes but then kinda stumbled from then on. Naruto grows into an interesting protag as the story goes and it's a story about that whereas Bleach was kinda mediocre in comparison. It also felt like it was really being dragged on. I remember reading some analysis of manga image to dialogue ratio a few years back and Bleach had way more plain background panels with nothing outside of explosions or other background stuff happening in them compared to the average manga.

Also fillers, they were not as bad as Naruto but they were pretty bad.

I think a big part of why they seem more apparent are the more common PC ports. The Japanese don't seem as shy about porting to PC nowadays. Also with digital distribution and the use of Unreal Engine, doing so shouldn't cost much at all.

Lol. How long have you been gaming? There were dragonball videogames on the snes.

There is a Sailor moon fighting games on the snes.

You kids think everything is new.

Lufia Erim:
Lol. How long have you been gaming? There were dragonball videogames on the snes.

There is a Sailor moon fighting games on the snes.

You kids think everything is new.

There was a serious drop on the rate of releases in the past generation for the American market. Cut them some slack.

There have been video games with an anime astetic for a long time, and shonen in particular. Little boys like video games and little boys like SHonen. Why not? Anime and Manga have been cross polinating for years, why not those two and anime?

It might be more noticable with the lack of barriers now a days, but that doesn't mean its not a thing.

Call be crazy but Jump Force would have been way better as an SSB-style arena fighter. The generic fighting system they went with just looks so drab and boring.

So many of these manga fighters coming out these days play exactly the same.

Fappy:
Call be crazy but Jump Force would have been way better as an SSB-style arena fighter. The generic fighting system they went with just looks so drab and boring.

So many of these manga fighters coming out these days play exactly the same.

Who's to say the Next Smash Bros. game won't be that?

Super Smash Bros. x Shonen Anime.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here