Metro Exodus Will Be Exclusive to Epic Games Store on PC, Steam Pre-Orders Will Be Honored

Pages 1 2 NEXT

https://nichegamer.com/2019/01/28/metro-exodus-will-be-exclusive-to-epic-games-store-on-pc-steam-pre-orders-will-be-honored/

Publisher Deep Silver has announced Metro Exodus will be an Epic Games Store exclusive release for PC.

The game was previously expected to launch for Steam, where it has long-since had a Steam store page available (and is still available now). Deep Silver confirmed any pre-orders made on Steam will be honored when the game launches next month, however, the game will be unavailable for purchase on the platform after today.

The decision to release the game on Epic's store over Valve is entirely because of the more competitive revenue split Epic is offering. The game's price on Steam has been lowered to $50 to account for the 88/12 revenue split.

"We are delighted to partner with Epic to bring the digital PC version of Metro Exodus to market," Deep Silver CEO Klemens Kundratitz said. "Epic's generous revenue terms are a game changer that will allow publishers to invest more into content creation, or pass on savings to the players. By teaming up with Epic we will be able to invest more into the future of Metro and our ongoing partnership with series developer 4A Games, to the benefit of our Metro fans."

Metro Exodus is the latest in a stream of PC game releases that are jumping ship to the Epic Games Store, including The Division 2, Genesis Alpha One, and more.

In case you missed it, you can find our thorough hands-on preview for the game here.

Metro Exodus will be launching February 15th for Windows PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

I will admit a bias on my part in that I have not played any of the previous Metro games despite them being in my Steam Library. However, with the change to a platform which does not publish User reviews as well as the addition of Denuvo, some fans are already saying that these practices are anti-consumer.

Anti...consumer? How is this anything new?

Denuvo has been a thing for a long time. Nobody likes when games use it and yet they keep doing it so, either wait for it to be cracked or deal with it.

User reviews? I don't understand why people care about this so much. There are countless reviews that will be on Youtube and metacritic and all over the fucking place. The Epic game store is Anti-consumer because they don't let any random butthole with a keyboard write shit on their storefront? Then so is ever super market on the planet, go find me the user reviews at a Wallmart about a can of Pringles.

People shouldn't have to rely on their peers to tell you if something in a store is good. Because a good store CONTROLS what it fucking sells and will not sell you outright toys filled with stale cum. From what I've seen so far, Epic is controlling their store and not letting anyone and their mums put whatever shit game up there they want.

Hell they are at least honoring the pre-orders on Steam. If they wanted to be anti-consumer they could have just fucked right off and refunded people. Actually if they were REALLY smart, they'd just e-mail the pre-ordered accounts a code to get the game on the Epic store and not even put it on Steam in a limited capacity.

This isn't anti-consumer. It might be Anti-LAZY consumer, but it is still far better than what Steam has become.

Maybe I'll pick it up in a year, probably not though, at least till its on deep sale. I'm not fucking with the epic store thing. I don't even get ubisoft games cause I don't like uplay, literally the only other distribution service I will put up with besides steam is GOG and that is more of a, I support what gog does with older games and drm then actually use it, I almost never start it up, I just allow it on my machine.

I honest to gods don't understand why people are freaking out about this so much. The exact same thing happened when Origins was announced. Like jackshit has changed besides I now have to log into Origins to play The Sims or Battlefront. Fucking GASP!!!!

Elfgore:
I honest to gods don't understand why people are freaking out about this so much. The exact same thing happened when Origins was announced. Like jackshit has changed besides I now have to log into Origins to play The Sims or Battlefront. Fucking GASP!!!!

Because we are entering an era where shit will be spread out across a ton of different services. Where you used to be able to get most of your entertainment from one place, now you have to go to a bunch of different ones, the only benefit of a digital game store is the price of entry for the consumer is free, unlike streaming services, of which we will soon have a decent number more of. Its really fucken annoying.

Yikes, that's a no from me dawg. EPIC launcher is the worst launcher out right now, maybe after the Bethesda launcher.

Elfgore:

People like to have one place for their games, achievements, screenshots, friends etc etc. Other launchers like Uplay and Origin still lacks features that steam had 10 years ago.

yeah, i'll pass. Guess i'll just it get on console now

CritialGaming:

User reviews? I don't understand why people care about this so much. There are countless reviews that will be on Youtube and metacritic and all over the fucking place. The Epic game store is Anti-consumer because they don't let any random butthole with a keyboard write shit on their storefront? Then so is ever super market on the planet, go find me the user reviews at a Wallmart about a can of Pringles.

People shouldn't have to rely on their peers to tell you if something in a store is good. Because a good store CONTROLS what it fucking sells and will not sell you outright toys filled with stale cum. From what I've seen so far, Epic is controlling their store and not letting anyone and their mums put whatever shit game up there they want.

There's also a notable problem with the Steam Reviews on their storefront. They only let you review if you own the game on steam. God forbid you own the game from GOG or GMG or on disc or any other source, or hell, you played it years ago and don't have it anymore, but if you don't have it registered on steam, screw you, your views on it don't count.

Regarding the topic, I'm curious how B-Cell is going to react to this news since he's apparently obsessed with Metro Exodus(or at least he just loves to bring it up all the time).

I never used epic launcher before so i have to make id there.

lot of games are skipping steam nowadays. it maybe a sign that valve will go back to make games.

Elfgore:

By putting it up for pre-order on Steam, they were making a promise to sell it on Steam, and they broke that promise.

If they never put it up for sale on Steam and said they would put on Steam and just said from the start it would be an Epic exclusive, fine, but that is not what happened.

As for Origins, fuck EA, and fuck having Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dead Space 1 and 2, and Dragon Age Origins all on Steam, but not the rest of the series.

'Exodus' is a rather fitting title for what steam is going through these days. A gift of coincidence for headline writers.

B-Cell:
lot of games are skipping steam nowadays. it maybe a sign that valve will go back to make games.

Doubt it. Steam makes Valve a looooooooot of money. Supposedly 4.3 billion USD in 2017. Any game they make would need to be a megasuccess to even come close to that Steam money. They'd essentially have to create the next Fortnite, except even bigger. But that's risky, and requires effort, and Valve doesn't seem to like effort.

If this publishers bailing for Epic thing becomes a trend, rather than them refocing on making games, it's far more likely Valve will try making Steam a more attractive platform to publish on instead. Less risk, less effort and probably still more profitable.

Chimpzy:

B-Cell:

Doubt it. Steam makes Valve a looooooooot of money. Supposedly 4.3 billion USD in 2017. Any game they make would need to be a megasuccess to even come close to that Steam money. They'd essentially have to create the next Fortnite, except even bigger. But that's risky, and requires effort, and Valve doesn't seem to like effort.

If this publishers bailing for Epic thing becomes a trend, rather than them refocing on making games, it's far more likely Valve will try making Steam a more attractive platform to publish on instead. Less risk, less effort and probably still more profitable.

none of bethesda game from now will be on steam, not Doom Eternal, not Rage 2 and certainly not their games like starfield and elderscrolls.

activision now put their games on blizzard.net. and COD along with other games will be exclusive on that.

more and more competition will be good thing. i think epic launcher is new. it just launched last month and publisher are going there. first division 2 now this althought just for one year.

B-Cell:

Chimpzy:

B-Cell:

none of bethesda game from now will be on steam, not Doom Eternal, not Rage 2 and certainly not their games like starfield and elderscrolls.

activision now put their games on blizzard.net. and COD along with other games will be exclusive on that.

more and more competition will be good thing. i think epic launcher is new. it just launched last month and publisher are going there. first division 2 now this althought just for one year.

But this isn't competititon. It'd be competition if they had it on both store fronts and you could choose which service you'd prefer but they've removed that choice, so who are they competing against?

Here's an actual example of competition. Hotline miami is available on steam, humble bundle and GoG. Thats three different stores with three different prices (roughyly $1-2 difference between them) Each store is competing for your business.
You want another example of competition? How about Ulitmate Doom, available on the same three stores as above AND the bethesda launcher. Those are examples of competition, each is competing with the other for your business.

Making something exclusive to one store and not available on others isn't competition, since you have no-choice but to use their service, and people don't seem to understand that that is not competition. Its no different to games being console exclusive.

Saelune:

Elfgore:

By putting it up for pre-order on Steam, they were making a promise to sell it on Steam, and they broke that promise.

If they never put it up for sale on Steam and said they would put on Steam and just said from the start it would be an Epic exclusive, fine, but that is not what happened.

As for Origins, fuck EA, and fuck having Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dead Space 1 and 2, and Dragon Age Origins all on Steam, but not the rest of the series.

But they are honoring the pre-orders on Steam. They have the right to pull their product from a store shelf if they do not want to sell it in that store. Also it's only a timed exclusive to Epic, it will return to Steam eventually so technically they aren't breaking any non-existent promise.

CritialGaming:

Saelune:

Elfgore:

But they are honoring the pre-orders on Steam. They have the right to pull their product from a store shelf if they do not want to sell it in that store. Also it's only a timed exclusive to Epic, it will return to Steam eventually so technically they aren't breaking any non-existent promise.

Its if its going to return to steam in a year, then why even remove it in the first place?

Samos205:

Its if its going to return to steam in a year, then why even remove it in the first place?

Because Epic waved a big wad of cash in Deep Silver's face.

Samos205:

Uhhh...money?

I thought that was obvious.

This is THQNordic's Statement of the situation.

And Valve's statement of the situation.

Sales of Metro Exodus have been discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store.

The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know.

Worgen:

Elfgore:

Because we are entering an era where shit will be spread out across a ton of different services. Where you used to be able to get most of your entertainment from one place, now you have to go to a bunch of different ones, the only benefit of a digital game store is the price of entry for the consumer is free, unlike streaming services, of which we will soon have a decent number more of. Its really fucken annoying.

Opening up a program, one you probably already have your login info saved on, is that annoying? Seriously? It takes like thirty seconds to open up Origin or Steam. Yeah, I'm gonna take the extra competition over that trifling issue.

Samos205:

B-Cell:

Chimpzy:

But this isn't competititon. It'd be competition if they had it on both store fronts and you could choose which service you'd prefer but they've removed that choice, so who are they competing against?

Here's an actual example of competition. Hotline miami is available on steam, humble bundle and GoG. Thats three different stores with three different prices (roughyly $1-2 difference between them) Each store is competing for your business.
You want another example of competition? How about Ulitmate Doom, available on the same three stores as above AND the bethesda launcher. Those are examples of competition, each is competing with the other for your business.

Making something exclusive to one store and not available on others isn't competition, since you have no-choice but to use their service, and people don't seem to understand that that is not competition. Its no different to games being console exclusive.

But that's not what competition is.

https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-competition-in-marketing-definition-types-quiz.html

"Competition is the rivalry between companies selling similar products and services with the goal of achieving revenue, profit, and market share growth."

This is competition. Just not the kind you want.

Burnouts3s3:
This is THQNordic's Statement of the situation.

And Valve's statement of the situation.

Sales of Metro Exodus have been discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store.

The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know.

It sounds like it's a one year timed exclusive for Epic. Really sleazy of Epic to do this though, if their service is as awful as people say. They don't even have anything to do with development or publishing yet here they are swooping in to influence where it's being sold.

Having said that, Deep Silver is categorically more pathetic for taking the bait.

CritialGaming:

Saelune:

Elfgore:

Edit: They are still bending promises and that is not ok for them to do.

Elfgore:

Samos205:

B-Cell:

But that's not what competition is.

https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-competition-in-marketing-definition-types-quiz.html

"Competition is the rivalry between companies selling similar products and services with the goal of achieving revenue, profit, and market share growth."

This is competition. Just not the kind you want.

You don't win Capitalism by actually competing against other businesses. The best way to win is block opponents access to a product. If this involved a government, it would be called corruption.

But since it's all private we call it 'doing a deal.' They'll just pretend that this is actual competition when its actually anti-competitive.

But, as you say, until we tweak the definition of competition, this action would definitely be called competitive

Elfgore:

Worgen:

Elfgore:

Opening up a program, one you probably already have your login info saved on, is that annoying? Seriously? It takes like thirty seconds to open up Origin or Steam. Yeah, I'm gonna take the extra competition over that trifling issue.

The issues goes further than that

The Epic launcher is lazy and it has no features beyond being able to buy and play a few games on, it's so bad that they have to pay publishers of 3rd party games to make their games timed exclusives for their platform so they can force people to use it. Everyone but maybe EPIC and the publisher for Metro is a loser in all this.

Elfgore:

Worgen:

Elfgore:

Another account that needs your cc info that you have to worry about being secure on top of another program running in the background sucking up who knows how much personal information. Plus, the way they are going about being competition is really assholish. Its one thing for the games you make being exclusive, but these guys are being assholes and getting 3rd party exclusives. They are doing more and more to make the pc space like the console space. Fuck epic. Sure Valve could use a file lit under its butt, but fuck epic.

CritialGaming:

Samos205:

Uhhh...money?

I thought that was obvious.

Epic taking a 12% cut as opposed to Steams 30% cut isn't exactly something to sneeze at.

I mean, Steam could learn from this and realize that's one of(possibly the) Reasons devs are going to the Epic Store. I'm not confident they will since Valve seems awfully complacent right now.

B-Cell:

One can hope.

Neurotic Void Melody:
'Exodus' is a rather fitting title for what steam is going through these days. A gift of coincidence for headline writers.

Fun fact, it's an adaptation of the book Metro 2035.

...round about the time where we can expect Half-Life 3 perhaps?

Hawki:
Fun fact, it's an adaptation of the book Metro 2035.

Seems like Exodus is actually a sequel to 2035. At least, according to this interview with Metro author Dmitry Glukhovsky. Relevant excerpt below (emphasis mine).

"They cannot expand this space as the technology is lost and they cannot get out of it because the surface is not suitable for them to leave - at least as they think in the first two books. But in Metro 2035, which prepares the players for the story of Metro Exodus, the main character is making the discovery of how and why the life outside of the bunkers, of metro, was possible, and why for two decades people in the stations and tunnels did not know that life outside the metro was possible. How did they ignore it?"

Saelune:

CritialGaming:

Saelune:

Edit: They are still bending promises and that is not ok for them to do.

That's why you shouldn't pre-order and you shouldn't play shit in early access because you are under no gaurantee to get anything that you paid for. Especially in regards to early access. As for pre-ordering you are under no promise that the game will be as good as advertised.

Here they aren't breaking any promises. You pre-ordered the game on steam and you will still get the game on steam. Nothing has changed. The only difference is that future players must purchase from a different store. That's it. This literally has zero affect on anyone that has already bought the game on Steam.

It's ridiculous that every big game publisher needs its own launcher now. Never used to be that way. Could you imagine needing a different OS for every big game? In principle it's not much different.

Ultimately this is just going to make pirating more prominent in the long run. Imagine you lose access to your account from one of those service (say there's another massive data leak), you probably won't feel like re buying the game you already bough, so you'll just pirate it. But the next time a game comes out exclusively to the store, are you really going to want to make a new account to buy it? Nah you're just going to pirate it again.

Steam did more to combat piracy than any DRM because it became easier to buy game legally than pirate it and that most people are fine paying for there game in exchange for the convenience of having everything in one place with good service bundle together.

At this point I'm guessing what will happen soon will be some sort steam for game launcher, where you'll have a storefront that will let you buy any game from any service by just redirecting any purchase to the actual game launch in the background. Even if that service was to charge just a 1% fee on top of the price they'd make good money since they wouldn't have to host the servers or anything like that.

They could even go further and always get you the best price since at any one time almost every game is on discount from one place or another, with website like greenmangaming having pretty much constant discount on most of there library. It's a pain as a customer to have to seek the best price every time I want to buy a game, but if the service did it for me they'd guarantee that I'd always buy it trough there service and I would always get the cheapest price, so win-win.

CritialGaming:
Anti...consumer? How is this anything new?

Denuvo has been a thing for a long time. Nobody likes when games use it and yet they keep doing it so, either wait for it to be cracked or deal with it.

Hell they are at least honoring the pre-orders on Steam. If they wanted to be anti-consumer they could have just fucked right off and refunded people. Actually if they were REALLY smart, they'd just e-mail the pre-ordered accounts a code to get the game on the Epic store and not even put it on Steam in a limited capacity.

This isn't anti-consumer. It might be Anti-LAZY consumer, but it is still far better than what Steam has become.

aka 'stupid entitled gamers, having opinions and preferences for their user experience'.

hanselthecaretaker:
It?s ridiculous that every big game publisher needs its own launcher now. Never used to be that way. Could you imagine needing a different OS for every big game? In principle it?s not much different.

Yes, this is annoying. Where did the days of just launching a game go?

Now it's clicking on the Civ 6 Icon launches steam, which spends 30min on a steam update.
Then the game needs to update another 30min or so.
Then finally you get the Civ 6 launcher.
Then you have to click the start button to finally start up the actual game.

ITS ABSURD!!

Worgen:
Maybe I'll pick it up in a year, probably not though, at least till its on deep sale. I'm not fucking with the epic store thing. I don't even get ubisoft games cause I don't like uplay, literally the only other distribution service I will put up with besides steam is GOG and that is more of a, I support what gog does with older games and drm then actually use it, I almost never start it up, I just allow it on my machine.

Is it because Steam was first? I mean competition is good for consumers no?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here