Metro Exodus Will Be Exclusive to Epic Games Store on PC, Steam Pre-Orders Will Be Honored

Pages PREV 1 2

Lufia Erim:

Worgen:
Maybe I'll pick it up in a year, probably not though, at least till its on deep sale. I'm not fucking with the epic store thing. I don't even get ubisoft games cause I don't like uplay, literally the only other distribution service I will put up with besides steam is GOG and that is more of a, I support what gog does with older games and drm then actually use it, I almost never start it up, I just allow it on my machine.

Is it because Steam was first? I mean competition is good for consumers no?

They're not being competitive though, they're not contributing anything by doing this, they basically just bribed a publisher to make their 3rd party game a timed exclusive for their horrible platform.

If they want to be competitive then they should make people want to use their platform, not the opposite.

Lufia Erim:

Worgen:
Maybe I'll pick it up in a year, probably not though, at least till its on deep sale. I'm not fucking with the epic store thing. I don't even get ubisoft games cause I don't like uplay, literally the only other distribution service I will put up with besides steam is GOG and that is more of a, I support what gog does with older games and drm then actually use it, I almost never start it up, I just allow it on my machine.

Is it because Steam was first? I mean competition is good for consumers no?

Steam has enough functionality to make it a good service even outside the games. Plus, epic is going about this in a very asshole way. Its one thing if a game you make is exclusive but they are going to thirdparty games and grabbing up exclusivity deals which is shit for consumers. If there is one thing you have to give Valve, they seem to have a pretty light touch with their store, they don't really seem to demand things from devs, but now that might have to change. If you like competition then you don't want Valve to really flex its might like epic is attempting. Competition is fine, but epic are being dicks about it.

Kwak:

aka 'stupid entitled gamers, having opinions and preferences for their user experience'.

What are you even implying by this?

You you saying people are acting entitled because they can't get what they want from their preferred store? Try ordering a Big Mac at a Burger King then, they both sell burgers right so it should be easy just to get the burger you want from any store that sells burgers.

Don't label people blindly to make a useless and frankly stupid statement.

Speaking of reviews, Both 2033 and Last Light Redux are getting review-bombed on Steam. Both games are now labeled "Mostly Negative", because people are protesting against the epic store decision. The details of these negative review aren't even about their respective games; Just people complaining how much epic game store sucks. It is very stupid and pathetic, and I facepalm every time I visit both store pages.

Since you can only review the game once you own it, that means most of these people are lying about the reviews. Because as far as I can remember both games were hailed as some of the best post-apocalypse games. I played both and I thoroughly enjoyed them. But now that the 3rd game is switching over to another store, are people really lying about their experience? There are also a possibility that people bought both games just to review them, not even playing them. That is bottom line pathetic. What if people who never heard of the two games or wants to check them out before Exodus comes out, only to see the unreliable negative reviews? It will ruin their experience without even given a chance for them to play the two games.

Look, I am not happy with this decision either. I think it is stupid how now we need to install another launcher to play the game. But just because of that I am not gonna review bomb both games. They are great at should not receive such unfair treatment.

Guess I'll buy in in Feb 2020 then.

The developer is now threatening to not put the next Metro game on PC if it doesn't perform well. They sure like their grave deep.

I wish fortnite never exist.. this great game will be failed because of stupid decision before release. and will be death of 4A games.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
The developer is now threatening to not put the next Metro game on PC if it doesn't perform well. They sure like their grave deep.

Yeah i dunno why they would come out and say this after pulling the storefront shift. They should have just left it on both stores. The only thing i can think of is that Epic gave them a fistfull of money ahead of time, which they must really need now, to do this.

Now it smells of desperate business moves trying to stay afloat.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

If it doesn't preform well hardly anybody will care. And the devs most likely won't even be around to make another one.

I didn't even know Epic had a store.

Adam Jensen:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

If it doesn't preform well hardly anybody will care. And the devs most likely won't even be around to make another one.

Well the game will still sell pretty well on consoles, I imagine. They're saying if the game doesn't perform well on PC, they will put the next Metro game on consoles only.

Wintermute:
I didn't even know Epic had a store.

They give away free games every couple weeks and its a pretty decent UI. Fast, looks nice on mobile and PC.

It doesn't do all the stuff that steam does, but frankly I have a hard time convincing steam to load the achievement list for a game or let me view my inventory so I'm pretty much fine giving up crap I don't use and slow ass tab changes for an otherwise basically equivalent system.

I'm very sympathetic to their core argument that if you're a fan you ought to go through the trouble of installing a new client just for the game. Their approach may not be the most diplomatic but I do think they're right and if it was a game I actually wanted to play merely installing a client wouldn't stop me like how having to import games from Japan hasn't.

They do kinda lose the plot a bit when it comes to basically soft blackmail about not making any more pc versions down the line though.

Dreiko:
I'm very sympathetic to their core argument that if you're a fan you ought to go through the trouble of installing a new client just for the game. Their approach may not be the most diplomatic but I do think they're right and if it was a game I actually wanted to play merely installing a client wouldn't stop me like how having to import games from Japan hasn't.

As one of the core fans of the Metro-series, they've lost me. Now, granted, I've been wobbling in my hype for Exodus ever since it was announced, so moving to the Epic store was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't necessarily think they are wrong, it is their business and they can take it wherever they like. However, we should at least acknowledge that it is a move that inconveniences fans who wants to play the game and as such is mildly anti-consumer, in favor of taking a fat wad of cash and being a pawn in the digital storefront war.

But then, I'm not losing sleep over this. If anything, my economy (and family life) is better off now that I don't have to fit in six game releases in February and March alone.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

Adam Jensen:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

Well the game will still sell pretty well on consoles, I imagine. They're saying if the game doesn't perform well on PC, they will put the next Metro game on consoles only.

their wont be a next metro game. book is finished. this is last game. artyom and his rangers are all leaving metro once for all.

they are also working on space FPS but put them on hold. i really hope they wont attach to deep silver again.

hardly console gamers care about it. Metro fanbase is on PC and thats why all are boycotting it.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/deep-silver-and-4a-games-issue-an-official-statement-about-the-recent-metro-pc-developer-comments/

"The recent decision to move Metro Exodus from Steam to the Epic Game Store was made by Koch Media / Deep Silver alone.

The recent comments made by a member of the 4A Games development team do not reflect Deep Silver's or 4A Games' view on the future of the franchise. They do reflect the hurt and disappointment of a passionate individual who has seen what was previously nothing but positive goodwill towards his work turn to controversy due to a business decision he had no control over. We respectfully ask that any and all valid feedback over this decision is directed at Koch Media / Deep Silver, and not the developers at 4A Games.

The future release strategy of the Metro series lies with Koch Media / Deep Silver. Our decision to partner with Epic Games was based on the goal of investing in the future of the series and our development partner at 4A Games. We have every intention of continuing this franchise, and a PC version will always be at the heart of our plans."

its just one man view. not entire development team.

Gethsemani:

Dreiko:

As one of the core fans of the Metro-series, they've lost me. Now, granted, I've been wobbling in my hype for Exodus ever since it was announced, so moving to the Epic store was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't necessarily think they are wrong, it is their business and they can take it wherever they like. However, we should at least acknowledge that it is a move that inconveniences fans who wants to play the game and as such is mildly anti-consumer, in favor of taking a fat wad of cash and being a pawn in the digital storefront war.

But then, I'm not losing sleep over this. If anything, my economy (and family life) is better off now that I don't have to fit in six game releases in February and March alone.

The way I'd think about it is that with that extra money they will get by not putting the game on steam they will need to sell fewer copies of the game to meet their goals and ensure the continuation of the series. If it was a series I cared for, such a situation would certainly not be an inconvenience since the reason I buy games I care for new and not on sale at a discount is out of a desire to support the developers. Being able to support the developer by merely playing the game on another client sounds like a bargain to me.

Dreiko:

They do kinda lose the plot a bit when it comes to basically soft blackmail about not making any more pc versions down the line though.

I'd be prepared to download the launcher if they could manage to secure it from data breaches, allowed me to pay in my own currency, had a clear refund policy, had an offline mode, had reviews, forums, and mod support functionality. Basically, once the Epic Store can actually compete with Steam on features and support, I'll be prepared to use it, but right now all Epic is doing is holding games to ransom and inconveniencing consumers.

Bilious Green:

Dreiko:

I'd be prepared to download the launcher if they could manage to secure it from data breaches, allowed me to pay in my own currency, had a clear refund policy, had an offline mode, had reviews, forums, and mod support functionality. Basically, once the Epic Store can actually compete with Steam on features and support, I'll be prepared to use it, but right now all Epic is doing is holding games to ransom and inconveniencing consumers.

Right I get all that, outside of the data breach thing (is that really an issue? sounds a pretty terrible client if so) those other things don't even come close to comparing to the continuation of a loved series. It's not that they're not valid concerns as much as them being comparatively insignificant to knowing you'll get more of a game you love. I mean, what point is there to having the mod and review infrastructure there but no game to play on it lol.

Dreiko:

The way I'd think about it is that with that extra money they will get by not putting the game on steam they will need to sell fewer copies of the game to meet their goals and ensure the continuation of the series. If it was a series I cared for, such a situation would certainly not be an inconvenience since the reason I buy games I care for new and not on sale at a discount is out of a desire to support the developers. Being able to support the developer by merely playing the game on another client sounds like a bargain to me.

If that's how people feel about it, then that's fine and obviously switching your store and launcher shouldn't be a big deal. But in regards to Metro I'm too capitalistic. I like the developers previous work, but that's not enough to get me to drop 60 bucks for their new game when it hasn't enticed me and it means that making the game exclusive to a digital store I don't use just makes me less inclined to get the game. I'm a core fan in so far that I love the Metro-series, but it doesn't mean I will just continue buying the games if they seem to be losing the qualities I love or the developers make me go through additional hoops just to play it.

Well guys, The publisher was just made a statement regarding the announcement about not releasing on the pc
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqq1h9

Now keep in mind this statement doesn't end with any form of signature, meaning anyone could've written it.

Dreiko:

Bilious Green:

Dreiko:

Right I get all that, outside of the data breach thing (is that really an issue? sounds a pretty terrible client if so) those other things don't even come close to comparing to the continuation of a loved series. It's not that they're not valid concerns as much as them being comparatively insignificant to knowing you'll get more of a game you love. I mean, what point is there to having the mod and review infrastructure there but no game to play on it lol.

They do to me, and I guess to a lot of other people too. If the publisher and the developer want to make their product exclusive to an inferior platform, they should expect to lose sales over it. I've put my foot down over anti-consumer practices before, and I probably will again. As much as I love the Metro series (read all the books as well as played the games) I'm also patient, so I can wait for a Steam sale to get it cheap some time in 2020. All they have achieved is to lose a day one sale and ensure that I will never buy anything from the Epic store.

In a way, timed exclusives are actually pretty good for the patient consumer willing to wait. As you get the full game, more patched and polished, often bundled with its DLC all for a much cheaper price long after all reviews and user reviews have been in circulation.

As long as you're patient, only the publisher loses out on those juicy extra profits once it reaches the other platform. This happened with Tomb Raider: the second one. As it was Microsoft exclusive for its first year. And that came in a cool little anniversary case for 20 whole squids too!

With an open world first attempt like this, it's probably best to wait an extra year anyway. The platform is essentially free if you change your mind. But otherwise, patience is key.

Im still buying the game even after this all fisaco. i already download the epic launcher. will wait and see.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here