For Honor and Hitman: Season One headline February PS+ games

Cool.

I've already tried For Honor and it was ok, but more curious about Hitman. Would prefer to play it on PC but interest level really isn't deep enough as the always online stuff seems to be at the forefront of it now.

Huh, picked both those up in sales ages ago. Haven't been on For Honor in ages though (long before its supposed ressurection and whatever that entailed)

I thought For Honour had gone free to play anyway due to it bombing. To be fair, I could be wrong, I'd totally forgot it existed as it quickly dropped out of the public conscious quickly after it was launched. Anyway, I played the demo when it first came out and wasn't impressed so I doubt I'll pick it up. I might pick up Hitman, but I am finding that I don't really like stealth games these days, I just don't have the patience for them. I put it down to me getting grumpier as I get older.

Hopefully there will be a cool little indie game like Bearded Men at Sea from a couple of months ago.

Catfood220:
I thought For Honour had gone free to play anyway due to it bombing. To be fair, I could be wrong, I'd totally forgot it existed as it quickly dropped out of the public conscious quickly after it was launched. Anyway, I played the demo when it first came out and wasn't impressed so I doubt I'll pick it up. I might pick up Hitman, but I am finding that I don't really like stealth games these days, I just don't have the patience for them. I put it down to me getting grumpier as I get older.

Hopefully there will be a cool little indie game like Bearded Men at Sea from a couple of months ago.

Yeah, as far as AAA releases I'm really only interested MK11 and Sekiro, which has its own brand of stealth which looks to be much more organic than something like Hitman.

February is also the end of two eras. The final month for PS3 and Vita games on Plus.

Deadguy2322:
February is also the end of two eras. The final month for PS3 and Vita games on Plus.

They close it out with a good one too - MGS4. I might as well download it since I only have the disc (although still full install w/ trophy support) version currently.

I never thought I'd say this but barring resale value (which is trivial these days unless a a rare/sealed copy anyways) I really don't see much appeal for disc versions anymore. Having to swap discs negates any technical advantages they used to have. It's tough to notice any difference between the two as far as picture and sound go.

Yeah, I hate this trend of putting a game on sale and then making it a Plus freebie two weeks later. I bought Hitman recently, and I'm kind of annoyed.

I was sort of interested in For Honor, though, just not enough to pay money for it.

hanselthecaretaker:

Deadguy2322:

They close it out with a good one too - MGS4. I might as well download it since I only have the disc (although still full install w/ trophy support) version currently.

I never thought I?d say this but barring resale value (which is trivial these days unless a a rare/sealed copy anyways) I really don?t see much appeal for disc versions anymore. Having to swap discs negates any technical advantages they used to have. It?s tough to notice any difference between the two as far as picture and sound go.

Outside of collectible physical items that are going to be paired with a physical sale like art books or figures and so on, digital is the way to go. Lots of games don't even have manuals any more.

Dreiko:

hanselthecaretaker:

Deadguy2322:

I never thought I?d say this but barring resale value (which is trivial these days unless a a rare/sealed copy anyways) I really don?t see much appeal for disc versions anymore. Having to swap discs negates any technical advantages they used to have. It?s tough to notice any difference between the two as far as picture and sound go.

Outside of collectible physical items that are going to be paired with a physical sale like art books or figures and so on, digital is the way to go. Lots of games don't even have manuals any more.

Given how many have online connectivity requirements, it's less and less likely the disc will even provide you longevity of game.

hanselthecaretaker:

For some reason, games on the PS store at least cost about ?10 more than a physical edition and I'm not sure why. I mean you don't have to pay to create a cover, pay for packaging, transport or a place on the store shelves. So how come its cheaper to buy it from somewhere like Amazon than it is to buy a data file from the store? Until digital games are on par with or cheaper than a physical copy, I refuse to switch completely. Plus changing a disk in my console is hardly a stressful chore:)

Catfood220:
For some reason, games on the PS store at least cost about ?10 more than a physical edition and I'm not sure why. I mean you don't have to pay to create a cover, pay for packaging, transport or a place on the store shelves. So how come its cheaper to buy it from somewhere like Amazon than it is to buy a data file from the store? Until digital games are on par with or cheaper than a physical copy, I refuse to switch completely. Plus changing a disk in my console is hardly a stressful chore:)

Usually, I see parity in pricing between retail and digital, which is already bull and a perfect example of gaming trying to have all the money.

However, Wal-Mart used to sell games below MSRP even before digital, and Amazon does so as well because of the "loss leader" philosophy of marketing.They want to get you into their store to sell you all the things with high markups you might buy elsewhere, so many popular items (especially electronics) are sold for little to no markup or even a loss. The PSN store, XBLM and Steam don't do this because the store is the primary market. crazy-ass sales are how they get you, because once you've signed up for a PSN/XBLM/Steam account, it's easier to sell you full-priced products.

The retails games industry used to be a largely loss-leader market anyway, because they would sell you the strategy guide, the third-party controller that was "just as good" and so on, which is what made gaming stores profitable before the internet shut down a lot of those revenue streams.

Something Amyss:
Yeah, I hate this trend of putting a game on sale and then making it a Plus freebie two weeks later. I bought Hitman recently, and I'm kind of annoyed.

Same for me as I just bought it like a month back.

hanselthecaretaker:

Buying digitally gives up your right to be able to sell what you own. Being able to sell games makes gaming so much cheaper it's not even funny. I played Spiderman, GOW, and Detroit last year and sold them all for $40+ after finishing them and I bought them all 20% off thanks to Best Buy. Being able to sell a game also makes trying games far less risky endeavor as you're confident you won't be wasting $60 on something that might only be worth playing for like an hour. Also, you don't have to really care about having to wait/watch for sales as you can just buy whenever you feel like playing the game.

Phoenixmgs:

Something Amyss:

hanselthecaretaker:

Buying digitally gives up your right to be able to sell what you own. Being able to sell games makes gaming so much cheaper it's not even funny. I played Spiderman, GOW, and Detroit last year and sold them all for $40+ after finishing them and I bought them all 20% off thanks to Best Buy. Being able to sell a game also makes trying games far less risky endeavor as you're confident you won't be wasting $60 on something that might only be worth playing for like an hour. Also, you don't have to really care about having to wait/watch for sales as you can just buy whenever you feel like playing the game.

Haven't you just answered your own complaint from the first reply?

hanselthecaretaker:

Phoenixmgs:

Something Amyss:

hanselthecaretaker:

Haven?t you just answered your own complaint from the first reply?

I bought Hitman off the PS Store since it was priced really well.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here