Subnautica: Below Zero's finally available.

Given how Unknown Worlds deliberately didn't tie themselves to a set Early Access release schedule, I found it a welcome surprise. That said...I don't know if I should get it, yet?

I will buy it at some point, not even a question. I absolutely adored Subnautica, thalassophobic triggers and all.

*briefly vanishes into a mental hell filled with ghost leviathans*

However, I first got that game a bare few months before its full release, when basically everything but the ending was completed, and I generally avoid Early Access titles that are really early. And yet, the game might be the same engine, and they probably already learned a lot from the previous game.

Debating whether I should wait for a few months of patches, or just leap into the game immediately. Or maybe I should check out initial reviews, first?

I'm excited for Subnautica: Below Zero but I'm gonna hold off until the full release. Only because I generally only go through any given game once(unless it's one I really really liked and/or it's fairly short and I really liked it) and I want to play it when it's in it's complete form.

Nothing against the Devs here, just a general policy I apply to like 99% of all games I buy(there's like 2 or 3 exceptions).

I'm waiting for it to turn up free on Epic like the base game.

NeutralDrow:

You too eh?

Good on ya for even being able to play, I noped out of the vanilla game pretty early on.

jademunky:

NeutralDrow:

You too eh?

Good on ya for even being able to play, I noped out of the vanilla game pretty early on.

I actually didn't have as big a problem as I'd feared going in. As long as I was near any kind of surface, it was more exhilarating than frightening. It was the large, empty areas I had a problem with (even if the dead zone were actually empty, I'd find it paralyzing). The monsters I managed to bravado my way through.

Ironically, hardcore mode made the reapers more frightening than the ghosts. The ghosts are screaming serpentine atrocities against god and man...but at least you can f***ing see them coming.

jademunky:

NeutralDrow:

You too eh?

Not to downplay the ghost leviathons, the crabsquids always creeped me out. Partially because the huge "eyes" gives the impression the damn thing is always watching you, even if it can't see you. And it feels like it's easier to blunder across them then some of the others.

Will probably pick this up sometime. Not now tho, when it's finished.

NeutralDrow:

Ironically, hardcore mode made the reapers more frightening than the ghosts. The ghosts are screaming serpentine atrocities against god and man...but at least you can f***ing see them coming.

Watching other people play forces me to close my eyes sometimes. Actually playing the game to completion would probably necessitate therapy of some kind.

How would that even go down, I wonder?

Me: "So doctor, I have a fear of giant underwater abysses (abyysi?) and the possible monsters that lurk within."

Doctor: "So, how much of an actual problem is this? does your occupation involve scuba-diving at all? Do you work on a fishing boat?"

Me: "Um no. But see, I play video games and have a fascination with monsters......"

I was originally inspired to try out Subnautica by a really funny series of videos on youtube and I loved it. I find it amusing how players are divided on whether it's a beautiful exploration adventure or a straight up horror game depending on the specific phobias they may or may not have. I fall into the former category and very much enjoyed my time playing. The only times I felt fear were when would accidentally overshoot something and end up off the edge of the map while traveling in the cyclops, and even then I wasn't afraid for my character or anything but for all the time it would take me to rebuild and re-upgrade a new cyclops if mine was destroyed in an area where I would be unable to salvage anything from it. I'm very much looking forward to playing Below Zero but I'm going to do my best to wait until it is finished.

There are no games that I'm currently playing, so once I finish up some PD stuff I'll probably pick it up early access or no. Sometimes early stuff pisses me off, but subnautica is an exploration/collection game, so changes usually only add more exploration and collection or alter whats there, rather than vastly changing up the play of the game vis rougelikes.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here