Is Detroit: Become Human, worth getting (PS4)? (no spoliers please)

I am thinking of getting this but I definitely don't want to splash out unless it's worth it so I'd like your opinions because I think you guys are pretty clued up.

For the record of what I've liked in this type of genre...

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, although I wouldn't want to go through it again to see other endings tbh.
I wasn't that keen on Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) because the QTEs annoyed the hell out of me
Thought Beyond: Two Souls was... ok
Really enjoyed Until Dawn - did that a couple of times to see the different endings
Liked Life Is Strange 1

Thanks everyone.

It's still a silly David Cage game, BUT it is his best game to date.

- All the performances are either good or great -- No uncanny or awkward animations or voice performances this time.
- There's actually a great number of outcomes depended on your choices.
- It's got pretty nice futuristic visuals.
- Clancy Brown
- No creepy rape vibe around its main female character.

The writing is still pretty shit though, it hardly takes advantage of its characters being robots, only really using it as a slave allegory. It also has one of those terrible David Cage plot twists similar to the one in Heavy Rain.

Heavy Rain imo was David Cage's first OK game. And he only got better from there on.

Still sad we got Detroit Become Human and no the Tech Demo he showed off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqeuHGESZBA

I wanna play a game of that Dark Sorcerer, he looks more fun.

Casual Shinji:

You mean you don't sleep with them right after your character just died and brought back to life as a zombie or after going trough a torture session and still covered in blood?

Meiam:

Casual Shinji:

You mean you don't sleep with them right after your character just died and brought back to life as a zombie or after going trough a torture session and still covered in blood?

Or dreaming of home invaders attacking your character while she's in her underwear for no discernible reason, or attempted rape at gunpoint either, no. Shocking, I know.

It's alright. There's not really that much risk in trying it as the game isn't long and you can sell it when you're done. At worst you'll waste like $10 and 10 hours.

Meiam:

Casual Shinji:

Which game was that?

Detroit: Become Human has a couple of features that make it interesting to play. When finishing a chapter, it shows you a tree of events with the parts you saw, the choices you made, the events that you missed (unnamed so you don't get spoiled) and alternative paths (you can consult it at mid-play too). It gives you the option to replay the chapter in case you didn't like the outcome (you have to exit to the main menu to do it); some chapters even have checkpoints from where you can replay the chapter (instead of replaying it full).

The game's narrative is a cliche feast full to the brim with symbolism and analogies. If that's your thing, you won't regret playing it.

Buy it if it's for $20, no more than that.

Samtemdo8:

Meiam:

Casual Shinji:

Which game was that?

The "back-from-the-dead as a pseudo-zombie & therefore time-to-fuck" thing is Indigo Prophecy.

I assume the post-torture coitus was Heavy Rain. (have not played the latter)

jademunky:

I'll expand on that. One party had their finger cut off, and has a kidnapped son who is within that timeframe slowly drowning. And the other party was almost killed by a power tool-wielding maniac, and then later almost raped at gunpoint in a nightclub, all in the same day. Hence why both decide to bone eachother.

Casual Shinji:

jademunky:

I'll expand on that. One party had their finger cut off, and has a kidnapped son who is within that timeframe slowly drowning. And the other party was almost killed by a power tool-wielding maniac, and then later almost raped at gunpoint in a nightclub, all in the same day. Hence why both decide to bone eachother.

To be fair, after a day like that, I'd also be down for some irresponsible boning of strangers (are they strangers?).

jademunky:

Casual Shinji:

jademunky:

To be fair, after a day like that, I'd also be down for some irresponsible boning of strangers (are they strangers?).

Maybe if it was framed like that, but it isn't. It's not presented as them being irresponsible, it's them confessing their love for one another through sex. It's supposed to be a sweet and tender moment. It's not like a twisted, loaded David Cronenberg shag on the stairs sort of deal, but a sweet Terminator, Sarah and Kyle share a physical moment. And this is while the main dude's kid is just one step away from being found and stopped from drowning. Instead it's sexy time.

Casual Shinji:

jademunky:

Casual Shinji:

Maybe if it was framed like that, but it isn't. It's not presented as them being irresponsible, it's them confessing their love for one another through sex. It's supposed to be a sweet and tender moment. It's not like a twisted, loaded David Cronenberg shag on the stairs sort of deal, but a sweet Terminator, Sarah and Kyle share a physical moment. And this is while the main dude's kid is just one step away from being found and stopped from drowning. Instead it's sexy time.

Ah David Cage, one day I hope the man finds someone who can teach him how human emotions work.

"No, this character just came back from the dead and this woman has been hunting him the whole game. She is not in love with him, has just accepted the fact that he is not a sadistic killer and also his body is now permanently ice-cold due to afforementioned resurrection. A romantic interlude does not make sense in that situations and yes, I understand that movies do this, that does not make it ok."

I managed to get this for 15 quid off ebay in the end. I have to say, I think some of you were a bit harsh. It's really fucking good so far.

Samtemdo8:
Heavy Rain imo was David Cage's first OK game. And he only got better from there on.

Still sad we got Detroit Become Human and no the Tech Demo he showed off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqeuHGESZBA

I wanna play a game of that Dark Sorcerer, he looks more fun.

Hopes is that it may be his next game (maybe in PS5). After all, Detroit:BH's tech demo was in PS3.

dscross:
I managed to get this for 15 quid off ebay in the end. I have to say, I think some of you were a bit harsh. It's really fucking good so far.

Then you'll probably be ok for the rest of the game. Enjoy!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here