What Would You Want from Resident Evil 8?

So, Resident Evil is being discussed quite a lot here. I don't have too much of a horse in this race, in that the last RE game I completed was 5, and while I'm currently playing the RE2 remake, I'm not nearly far enough to have an informed opinion. Still, I've noticed from conversation across the net that the series seems to be at a crossroads. While the series has shifted back into survival horror from the RE4-6 period, RE7 and RE2R not only utilize very different styles of play (first person vs. third person), but as far as I'm aware, very different contextualizations. As in, from what I can tell, RE7 is similar to RE4 in that it's only really tangentally related to the overall storyline, while RE2 is seeped in series lore.

So, guess I'm asking how you'd want RE8 to play, and whether moving forward Capcom should try and shift back to more inter-series continuity, or make it more stand-alone in terms of lore/story/characters.

All I want from it is to be third-person, for there to be a variety of monsters, and to stay away from 'next stage of human evolution' or 'to attain godhood' type villain motivations. Do that I don't care if they go the RE4 or RE2 remake route. I never played RE7, since the first-person indie horror vibe it was going for already made me apprehensive, and the revelation that it would only have black goo monsters turned me off completely.

I like this question. For context, of the main series, I strongly disliked 4-6. A big reason for me was that there was too much focus on action on not enough on running away from enemies (you had to clear out areas before escaping and I didn't like that). You lost the 'working out a safe route to solve puzzles / open new rooms without getting into fights or getting hit in an enclosed area' element, which is basically why I play resident evil games.

I was initially apprehensive about RE7, but ended up really liking it because it brought a lot of those things back so it felt much more like the series had returned to what I liked. RE2 Remake seems to have brought it back to basics in terms of gameplay even more, but have updated the things that some people didn't like (fixed camera angles, tank controls etc). I miss those tbh, but now I can see that it can work without it.

Therefore, I'd be extremely pleased if they went down a similar route to RE2 Remake, but equally, I wouldn't be unhappy with an RE7 style game either. (I would also like it if they went down the RE1 Remake route with something but I doubt that's going to happen, which after seeing the RE2 Remake, I am now OK with). I would be unhappy if they went back down the RE4 route.

TBH, after the success on this one, it's looking like a remake of RE3 is on the cards as well at some point so maybe that could come first?

In terms of story and linking the characters, it doesn't matter a great deal to me as long as it plays and feels like survival horror and is creepy. The RE plot is a bit stupid anyway. lol.

Standalone would be preferable. If you really must, set it out in some less-connected place out in the country where nobody even knows what the Umbrella corporation is but its virus has taken on a new manifestation like in RE7. Maybe a wilderness area where not only the local animals, but even the trees have been affected as well? I always find packs of ravenous zombie birds terrifying.

Less focus on human villains trying to 'weaponize and control' the virus and more focus on the virus itself as the primary antagonist. If there is such a villain, have them get eaten or infected within the first few hours for being so stupid.

Gameplay wise, stick with the survival part of survival horror as seen in RE2 Remake. You can shoot down all the zombies if you want to, but you will run out of ammo before you run out of zombies, forcing you to clear a path. Boss monsters/people get slowed down by weapons but very few can actually die until later. I would prefer the first person perspective to return since it makes the threat feel more immediate and less detached from the player, but either is good.

I know people didn't like them, but I loved the Outbreak series. That felt like actual survival horror, where you have to desperately run around in a brief time period gathering as many random items before the zombies pour in, hoping somewhere down the level a bottle of whiskey and a stapler will come in handy.
Oh also you have to save as many people as you can to have a larger group to hopefully get through the level with.

Always struck me as kinda' silly the way mainline RE games still call themselves 'survival' when you have an MP5, thirteen pistols, a shotgun, a combat shotgun, an auto shotgun, flash and fire grenades and a triple barrel grenadelauncher that shoots Jedi. Dare you to survive the room of 4 zombies with this measly arsenal?! And if, by the skin of your teeth, you survive, dare you fight...A Single Big SPIDER?!

Go back to the survival part. Have like 8 playable characters, each starts with 1 item, there's an outbreak, and depending on who you save that's who you have with you for the level. 3rd person, survival, with a little L4D2 in that there are hordes of zombies coming, no you don't have nearly enough ammo to win, and you have to run and MacGyver your way through 3-5 levels to reach evac.

I mean if they keep on track with keeping the game's survival horror like RE7 and RE1-3, then I'd be perfectly happy with it. RE games are always kind of an odd duck in the horror game space, and that's what I think people originally liked about them. The moment to moment gameplay is about solving puzzles while trying to save ammo against the monsters that litter the place. Then out of nowhere you get thrown into a insane boss fight that comes across as gibberish until you figure out the puzzle in regards to fighting them (because very few bosses are actually straightforward shot them until the game tells you to stop.

Really I think what both the RE2 Remake and RE7 really nailed, was atmosphere. There is a tension in the exploration of both games that leads to some tense moments. Some moments are scary because you are just waiting for the game to throw monsters at you, and some moments are scary because the game DID throw a big scary bloke in a coat at you and he wont fucking go away.

I don't care which direction they take, so long as the game is not trying to do both at once. RE7 had a different tension, as it wasn't really monster filled until the very end and most people would agree that's where it starts to fall apart. So if they take that route with RE8 then they need to make sure they focus on it. Honestly though the cheesey story and intensity of running from monster room to monster room, but can't really fight them direction of the original RE games is the better way to go.

WhiteFangofWhoa:

Less focus on human villains trying to 'weaponize and control' the virus and more focus on the virus itself as the primary antagonist. If there is such a villain, have them get eaten or infected within the first few hours for being so stupid.

This to an extent. I'm fine with a human villain depending on how they're done. Oswell Spencer in Resident Evil 0 was perfect for example, even though the Oswell you fought wasn't really human or truly him. 0 gets a lot of flak for it's tedium, but how it portrays Umbrella and what I feel is the core theme of Resident Evil, isn't done as well in anything other than Code Veronica. But yeah, they've really gone into the whole world domination route and it's gotten comically stupid and very dull as a result. It takes itself far too seriously and I think they need to do a hard reset on the plot at this point. Or at the very least, have a game not take place further in the timeline. Have a game take place in Europe in the late 90's, centered around Umbrella's European branch or something like that.

dscross:

TBH, after the success on this one, it's looking like a remake of RE3 is on the cards as well at some point so maybe that could come first?

Don't know if it'll come first or not, but it's kind of outside the point in this context.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't say "no" to an RE3 remake, but I'm in no great need for it either. Of the three PS1 games, RE2/3 aged much better than 1, so IMO, there's a much better cost/benefit ratio from remaking the first game than the next two. Now, maybe RE2 Remake will turn out great for me, but was it a game that needed to be remade? I've even seen talk of remaking Code: Veronica or Zero. And while those entries rank lower than RE2/3 for me, I see even less of a need to remake them either.

Silentpony:
I know people didn't like them, but I loved the Outbreak series.

Um, I'm not sure if that's the case. On the RE wiki, there's a poll for "best spinoff" game or somesuch. Outbreak File 1 has more votes than all the other entries combined, and it's been up since July 2017. I didn't vote for it myself (voted for Dead Aim out of the options provided), but I think there's an audience for Outbreak.

Personally speaking, I'd like to see games made in the style of Outbreak, since we live in an era where it's much easier to get an Internet connection. However, Outbreak does rank fairly low on my list, because while it's basically the most 'survivavly' entry in the series, the lack of any meaningful plot takes it down. Like, even the scenarios don't even really link to each other.

Nedoras:
Oswell Spencer in Resident Evil 0 was perfect for example, even though the Oswell you fought wasn't really human or truly him. 0 gets a lot of flak for it's tedium, but how it portrays Umbrella and what I feel is the core theme of Resident Evil, isn't done as well in anything other than Code Veronica.

I think you're referring to Marcus. We only actually see Spencer in RE5 flashbacks.

Have a game take place in Europe in the late 90's, centered around Umbrella's European branch or something like that.

Late 90s would be around the timeframe of RE1-CV, and we've already seen Europe in RE4.

Actually, come to think of it, I think we've been to every continent there is in the series at least once bar Australasia/Oceania, so...yay?

Hawki:

Nedoras:
Oswell Spencer in Resident Evil 0 was perfect for example, even though the Oswell you fought wasn't really human or truly him. 0 gets a lot of flak for it's tedium, but how it portrays Umbrella and what I feel is the core theme of Resident Evil, isn't done as well in anything other than Code Veronica.

I think you're referring to Marcus. We only actually see Spencer in RE5 flashbacks.

Have a game take place in Europe in the late 90's, centered around Umbrella's European branch or something like that.

Late 90s would be around the timeframe of RE1-CV, and we've already seen Europe in RE4.

Actually, come to think of it, I think we've been to every continent there is in the series at least once bar Australasia/Oceania, so...yay?

Yeah I was thinking of Marcus, I have no idea why I mixed him up with Spencer.

Yup, and I'd prefer that we go back to around that time. It's far more interesting than where they've taken it recently. Even post-Raccoon city Umbrella still existed for a bit, including their various branches around the world. The European branch was in the opening scenes of Code Veronica, with Claire being captured there, but that's it. I think a game could take place there sometime after Claire's capture and have it show the downfall of the branch. They could delve back into the madness that runs rampant in Umbrella and come up with a decent villain. It would be a chance for a new protagonist too.

Yeah, they've been pretty much everywhere else. I think Rockfort Island didn't have a specific location other than being somewhere in the South Pacific though. It's possible it could have been in the area.

I hope RE8 carries on from RE7 and continue the Evelyn storyline that still has a lot of potential. RE7 was basically a soft reboot and I loved the slow-paced first person mansion crawling. Thanks to the RE Engine never has a game felt this atmospheric. After that I'd preferably see RE3 Remake. Both RE7 and RE2 Remake were incredible and really wish they keep both styles.

Hawki:

dscross:

Don't know if it'll come first or not, but it's kind of outside the point in this context.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't say "no" to an RE3 remake, but I'm in no great need for it either. Of the three PS1 games, RE2/3 aged much better than 1, so IMO, there's a much better cost/benefit ratio from remaking the first game than the next two. Now, maybe RE2 Remake will turn out great for me, but was it a game that needed to be remade? I've even seen talk of remaking Code: Veronica or Zero. And while those entries rank lower than RE2/3 for me, I see even less of a need to remake them either.

It was just a throwaway comment. They'll defo remake 3. I'm pretty convinced of that. They've already Remade 1, and it's pretty well thought of. They probably won't remake the others - there's no need.

Casual Shinji:
All I want from it is to be third-person, for there to be a variety of monsters, and to stay away from 'next stage of human evolution' or 'to attain godhood' type villain motivations. Do that I don't care if they go the RE4 or RE2 remake route. I never played RE7, since the first-person indie horror vibe it was going for already made me apprehensive, and the revelation that it would only have black goo monsters turned me off completely.

Mostly this. The first person P.T/Amnesia/Outlast trend has already long passed. Go 3rd person.

CoCage:

Casual Shinji:

Mostly this. The first person P.T/Amnesia/Outlast trend has already long passed. Go 3rd person.

Did you try RE7 for yourself?

dscross:

CoCage:

Casual Shinji:

Yes, I played it at a relative's. RE7 is a good game, don't get me wrong, but when you boil it down, it's a basic first person shooter with survival horror elements. Though some of the DLC cross breeds different genres. Not a hero DLC is basically RE5/6 in first person, and and the one with Zoe's uncle is a beat'em up.

Look, we've seen resident evil jump on trends before and this is nothing new (5 & 6 ring any bells?), but I feel third person is the best way to go.

CoCage:

dscross:

CoCage:

Yes, I played it at a relative's. RE7 is a good game, don't get me wrong, but when you boil it down, it's a basic first person shooter with survival horror elements. Though some of the DLC cross breeds different genres. Not a hero DLC is basically RE5/6 in first person, and and the one with Zoe's uncle is a beat'em up.

Look, we've seen resident evil jump on trends before and this is nothing new (5 & 6 ring any bells?), but I feel third person is the best way to go.

I don't think RE7 is a million miles away from the originals except it's in 1st person tbh - it's scarier if anything. I found it quite different from other horror games in FP, personally, because the gameplay felt fairly similar to classic resi.

dscross:

CoCage:

dscross:

I don't think RE7 is a million miles away from the originals except it's in 1st person tbh - it's scarier if anything. I found it quite different from other horror games in FP, personally, because the gameplay felt fairly similar to classic resi.

That's the thing though, it's literally RE1remake but, in first person. Snd before anyone starts I am aware that the original resident evil was supposed to be in first person, but the technology was not available back then for it to work. My other problem with 7 was that the enemy variety was just lacking. Especially compared with Evil Within 2. Some people complain about the lack of enemy variety in EW2, but it had way more varied enemy design compared RE7 base game. That, and extra modes that should have been in the base game to begin with were made as DLC and then later repackaged in the gold edition.

CoCage:

Casual Shinji:

I will never get people who compare RE7 to PT/Amnesia/Outlast just because they're first-person horror games. That's pretty much all RE7 and PT/Amnesia/Outlast have in common, that doesn't make them that similar to each other.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

CoCage:

Casual Shinji:

I will never get people who compare RE7 to PT/Amnesia/Outlast just because they're first-person horror games. That's pretty much all RE7 and PT/Amnesia/Outlast have in common, that doesn't make them that similar to each other.

True, RE7 has more in common with its series, and games like Condemned: Criminal Origins, and ironically, FEAR (creepy ghost girl), but my point still stands. Capcom was obviously after lets players that play first person horror games and start screaming at the screen. Boom! Now the game gets even more publicity. There's definitely some follow the leader at play.

Plus, I did mention that 7 blends different genres together with its DLC.

Hawki:

Personally speaking, I'd like to see games made in the style of Outbreak, since we live in an era where it's much easier to get an Internet connection. However, Outbreak does rank fairly low on my list, because while it's basically the most 'survivavly' entry in the series, the lack of any meaningful plot takes it down. Like, even the scenarios don't even really link to each other.

I would counter by saying the most critically acclaimed/best selling RE games have been the ones barely related to the RE storyline, Resident Evil 4 and 7.
RE seems to be at its best when we drop the Umbrella, STARS and Bio-Terrorism plots and just hone in on tangential stories. I think the future of RE is in Capcom just deciding the central story of Chris/Jill Vs Wesker is over and done, and its time to look at previously unknown characters having alternate takes on the outbreaks. Like an Outbreak game set in China during the events of RE6, totally centered on the survivalist of the survival horror genre. Hell you could go all out and have it be set in a junior school of 7th and 8th graders and you have to escape from your dead classmates. It'd be harrowing to have to choose between your best friend or your sister, having to watch the other get eaten alive by the homeroom teacher.

Silentpony:
I would counter by saying the most critically acclaimed/best selling RE games have been the ones barely related to the RE storyline, Resident Evil 4 and 7.

The best selling RE games, in order, are RE5>6>4>2>7. The most critically acclaimed games, if we're going off Metacritic, go roughly RE4>REmake>RE2make>RE2>RE5>Zero/RE7. So in either case, there's not really any correlation between the level of plot significance and the critical/financial results. If anything, it might suggest the opposite, because of those games I listed, only 4 and 7 can be considered side stories.

I guess an RE3 remake is the next obvious step.
I don't really care either way so long as they bottle up the convoluted idiot plot involving weskerbirkinspencermarcusashford and stick to simple, visceral standalone fare.

Johnny Novgorod:
I don't really care either way so long as they bottle up the convoluted idiot plot involving weskerbirkinspencermarcusashford and stick to simple, visceral standalone fare.

Honestly just skip the RE3 remake and go straight into RE4 HD collection.

Johnny Novgorod:

Pretty much.

The "story" of these games is at its best when it's just 'evil corporation/cult makes monsters to make money/take over the world, you're trapped in the fallout'. As soon as Wesker got Matrix powers shit got stupid.. more so.

Johnny Novgorod:

Re3 doesn't even have much story (not a bad thing), so I wonder how they're going to expand that adaption.

Silentpony:

Johnny Novgorod:

Not going to happen. REmake3 is already in development. Second, there's really not much point remaking Resident Evil 4. Despite some parts aging badly, RE4 has aged well for the most part. and then there's the fact that 4 has been on every modern console known to man.

Silentpony:

Johnny Novgorod:

I love RE4 but I'm not sure how they could go around remaking it, other than halving the QTEs and another HD lifting.

CoCage:

Johnny Novgorod:

Re3 doesn't even have much story (not a bad thing), so I wonder how they're going to expand that adaption.

Honestly, I'm wondering what they're going to do to make characters like Carlos and Nicolai not completely forgetable. The only thing people really remember about RE3 is Nemesis and Jill in a blue top.

Johnny Novgorod:

Silentpony:

Johnny Novgorod:

I love RE4 but I'm not sure how they could go around remaking it, other than halving the QTEs and another HD lifting.

That'd be enough. We'd all play that

Silentpony:

Johnny Novgorod:

Silentpony:

That'd be enough. We'd all play that

Some people (me) don't like resi 4 because they consider it an action shooting game, so no, not everyone would.

Johnny Novgorod:

RE4 doesn't need remaking. And considering how many times it's been ported, Capcom probably agrees with me.

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

RE4 doesn't need remaking. And considering how many times it's been ported, Capcom probably agrees with me.

I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an announcement that Blue Point is reskinning RE4 the same way they did Shadow of the Colossus.

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

I never even played the PS3 version, I'd be (I am) more than happy with just the PS2 one.

-Third person mechanics.

-Actual scarcity of resources and means to fight back, make the player fight but dread (not as in "oh god, ANOTHER one, I don't wanna do this" to "Oh man< I have to get to the next point, but I can't just sneak around...here goes" having to fight.

-Shitcan the lore, just give a stylish location with monsters and a tense atmosphere. keep it unknown for all I care.

okay I'm going to throw an oddball here, I think it would be a fun idea to have Los Iluminados reappear but have the gameplay of re7. The idea of a Resident Evil game where you have that gameplay style but you're exploring this demented cult, like exploring Jonestown or Aum Shinrikyo but with weird spider creatures inside them.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here