Crackdown 3 is apparently out

I had no idea Crackdown 3 was coming out. It seems like an awfully big release for Microsoft to just drop without any kind of fanfare. And surprising probably nobody, the game it pretty "meh" if going by reviews is anything. All the delays of Crackdown 3, which was supposed to damn near be an Xbone LAUNCH title if I remember correctly, now comes out after years of delay.

And it sucks.

Looking at the videos it kind of reminds me of Agents of Mayhem, a game that just looks like a repetitive uninteresting bit of mindless shooting. It doesn't use Terry Crews hardly at all, it doesn't have the destructible buildings that were advertised.

Yet another example of an overly delayed game that should have simply been cancelled rather than struggle for a shit release. I know Microsoft really needs an exclusive but putting out a turd exclusive helps nobody.

Yeah I think they should've cancelled this game a long time ago, no one really wants it and its been looking rough since day 1. With that said I'm still gonna play it with my friend tonight thanks to the Xbox game pass since we both enjoyed the first two games.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
Yeah I think they should've cancelled this game a long time ago, no one really wants it and its been looking rough since day 1. With that said I'm still gonna play it with my friend tonight thanks to the Xbox game pass since we both enjoyed the first two games.

Don't we call it the Sunk Cost Fallacy? That they've already put X amount of time and money into the game, that they think it'd simply be cheaper to release it and try to make some money back rather than trash it?

They should just remaster the old ones and release them for the PC as well.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
Yeah I think they should've cancelled this game a long time ago, no one really wants it...

Ex-CUSE me?? I wanted this game! The first Crackdown was one of the first basic, pure and self-aware open sandboxes (i.e.: explosions, speed and inhuman verticality... GO!,) lots of shameless fun. The sequel was... not quite that great, but still more fun than a lot of sandboxes on offer before or since. Crackdown 3 was their chance to recapture the purity of Crackdown 1, correct the missteps of Crackdown 2 and take advantage of nearly a decade of technological advances since the latter. I'm no developer, but Crackdown's type of "fun" shouldn't be that hard do well; if they didn't, then they tried too hard. None of we fans of the franchise had such lofty expectations; 12 years ago in the first Crackdown, my friend and I spent 10 minutes piling up cars and explosive barrels, blew it all up in a glorious orange mushroom cloud, and giggled like children for the next half hour; I wanted THAT again.

Adam Jensen:
They should just remaster the old ones...

So much yes. Save for Morrowind, you'll rarely hear me harping for a remaster, but I'd honestly love Crackdown 1 remastered. The cel shading would make for easier graphical updates, so I think the only think it would need is all of the DLC, the ability for a single XBL profile to have more than one Agent and then allow more than two Agents into a single world at a time. Boom; take my fucking money.

And it's dropping same week as Far cry: new dawn (another open world game with a bigger marketing budget). Yeah it was sent to die. At some point it was supposed to have a bunch of crazy feature using cloud computing, but all that feel trough.

Xprimentyl:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
Yeah I think they should've cancelled this game a long time ago, no one really wants it?

Ex-CUSE me?? I wanted this game! The first Crackdown was one of the first basic, pure and self-aware open sandboxes (i.e.: explosions, speed and inhuman verticality? GO!,) lots of shameless fun. The sequel was? not quite that great, but still more fun than a lot of sandboxes on offer before or since. Crackdown 3 was their chance to recapture the purity of Crackdown 1, correct the missteps of Crackdown 2 and take advantage of nearly a decade of technological advances since the latter. I?m no developer, but Crackdown?s type of ?fun? shouldn?t be that hard do well; if they didn?t, then they tried too hard. None of we fans of the franchise had such lofty expectations; 12 years ago in the first Crackdown, my friend and I spent 10 minutes piling up cars and explosive barrels, blew it all up in a glorious orange mushroom cloud, and giggled like children for the next half hour; I wanted THAT again.

Adam Jensen:
They should just remaster the old ones?

So much yes. Save for Morrowind, you?ll rarely hear me harping for a remaster, but I?d honestly love Crackdown 1 remastered. The cel shading would make for easier graphical updates, so I think the only think it would need is all of the DLC, the ability for a single XBL profile to have more than one Agent and then allow more than two Agents into a single world at a time. Boom; take my fucking money.

I know where you're coming from but from what I've seen this isn't the Crackdown 3 I wanted, and it seems to be the general consensus.

Meiam:
And it's dropping same week as Far cry: new dawn (another open world game with a bigger marketing budget). Yeah it was sent to die. At some point it was supposed to have a bunch of crazy feature using cloud computing, but all that feel trough.

It's dropping the same day as New Dawn, Metro Exodus and Anthem.

I know of this game mostly because it got mentioned a lot when Saints Row IV came out but other then the recent reviews(which so far seem to trend towards "It's Okay") don't know much about it.

It does sound like a Shame to hire Terry Crews and then barely use him. That would be like hiring Keifer Sunderland and then barely having him talk. Oh wait.....

I guess we'll never know if Terry made it the farmers market now.

Scalebound died for this?!

Aerosteam:

Now you know how I feel. After that happened, I never wanted to buy an Xbox one ever again. After 2013, they barely delivered on any exclusives at all. This is why I'm glad that I got a Switch and PS4.

Don't worry buddy, at least we got Astral Chain.

CoCage:

Aerosteam:

Now you know how I feel. After that happened, I never wanted to buy an Xbox one ever again. After 2013, they barely delivered on any exclusives at all. This is why I'm glad that I got a Switch and PS4.

Don't worry buddy, at least we got Astral Chain.

Switch and PS4 here too. *High fives*

If stuff from Scalebound got recycled into Astral Chain then these are acceptable loses. Astral Chain looks sick af.

Well I was gonna give this game a go but apparently the game is locked at 30fps on PC if you want to play COOP, one of the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a port. I went in with very low expectations and I was still let down somehow.

I'm heartbroken. Got an Xbox One X and a gaming PC. I played the first one on 360 and it was a hoot.

Hrrrrmmmm. Maybe it will be on Xbox Live in March. Play that instead.

The title is perfect. I remember when the PS4 vs Xbone days were still a thing and people were saying "Just you wait till Crackdown 3 is released! It'll beat the shit out of [insert any third person open world PS4 exclusive here]!"

And now its out and it looks like a game from 2012. The much vaunted destruction aided by the POWER OF THE CLOUD!!! looks like a cheap party trick, and that was the only thing I was even remotely interested in. If this game bombs and I'm pretty sure it will I hope whatever studio was behind it doesn't get the axe.

CritialGaming:

Looking at the videos it kind of reminds me of Agents of Mayhem, a game that just looks like a repetitive uninteresting bit of mindless shooting. It doesn't use Terry Crews hardly at all, it doesn't have the destructible buildings that were advertised.

Agents of MAYHEM was such a letdown, coming from the makers of the Saints Row series. SRIV eclipses both these games, from the look of it.

How's the "power of the cloud" helping the game? That was supposed to be this game and the Xbone's magic sauce, right?

bluegate:
How's the "power of the cloud" helping the game? That was supposed to be this game and the Xbone's magic sauce, right?

From the sound of things, it's only really there for the destruction physics in MP.

So basically one more wet fart in the long line of pants-shitting incidents that is the Xbox One. I'll just put this down next to recore, Project Spark and Sea of Thieves.

Anyways, my Xbone has been sitting in a box for about a year now and I don't think I'll be taking it out for this.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here