Is Doom the only gaming franchise where each and every game is Masterpiece?

Pages PREV 1 2

Bit of a dumb topic.

Technically I could name any franchise with only one game in it, and as long as it's a good game I win the thread and prove the OP wrong.
If that doesn't count, then how about franchises with only 2 games in them, like Portal? How 'big' does a franchise have to be for it to count in the OP's eyes?

Adam Jensen:
Also, The Witcher is the only masterpiece franchise.

witcher 1 was terrible game and no one really cares bout it.

Witcher 3 found one of the most overrated game although its most beloved but first game is something no one really cares.

B-Cell:

Adam Jensen:

Witcher 3 found one of the most overrated game although its most beloved but first game is something no one really cares.

Just because you were three years old when it came out and you never played it doesn't mean that no one cares about it.

Doom 3 couldn't hold a candle to Half-Life 2; Resurrection of Evil even tried to copy the Gravity Gun. I myself put together a rebalancing mod that kept the weapons from being such a sickening mess (look up "Doom: True Survival" sometime).

Adam Jensen:

The atrocious controls of the first game made me uninstall after the first "sex scene" and I've never bothered with any of the others.

Adam Jensen:

B-Cell:

Adam Jensen:

Just because you were three years old when it came out and you never played it doesn't mean that no one cares about it.

I was enjoying STALKER and Crysis 1 that time and couldnot even think of others. 2007 was one of the gaming best year.

btw im in late 20s reaching 30.

Adam Jensen:

I'm gonna have to disagree here. I liked Witcher 2 and I loved Witcher 3, but Witcher 1 is....ok at best. It has a good plot but the combat is janky and its just really, really unpolished in a lot of respects. Hell, KOTOR looks better in a lot of areas and KOTOR came out years before Witcher.

Also, the sex cards were kinda cringy but thats a minor flaw among many.

IceForce:
If that doesn't count, then how about franchises with only 2 games in them, like Portal? How 'big' does a franchise have to be for it to count in the OP's eyes?

About as big as STALKER and Metro.

B-Cell:

For your sake I hope that isn't true.

And it obviously isn't. You're not fooling anyone.

Johnny Novgorod:

IceForce:

About as big as STALKER and Metro.

Soooo, not that big at all...

I don't think there's been a bad Mario platformer, though some aren't nearly as good as others.

Oh, all of the Dark Souls games are great.

Samos205:

Diablo Immortal.

Not out yet.

Also, I'm willing to bet that DI will be at least decent. A lot of the outrage comes from the context of its announcement rather than the game(play) itself.

Hawki:

Samos205:

Diablo Immortal.

Not out yet.

Also, I'm willing to bet that DI will be at least decent. A lot of the outrage comes from the context of its announcement rather than the game(play) itself.

I though it was out now?
and you're forgetting it's based of a Chinese diablo clone

Samos205:

I though it was out now?

Nup. Doesn't have a release date.

and you're forgetting it's based of a Chinese diablo clone

The control scheme was taken from Crusaders of Light. It's been denied it's a reskin.

Also, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be bad (though not necessarily good either).

Adam Jensen:

B-Cell:

10 years ago in GT (ask any GT user here). people there called me 12 yo or too young.

after decade later, how it is possible for me to stopped aging? so yes i was quite young 10 years ago around around under 20s. now im in late 20s and reaching 30 in few years.

B-Cell:

Adam Jensen:

B-Cell:

10 years ago in GT (ask any GT user here). people there called me 12 yo or too young.

after decade later, how it is possible for me to stopped aging? so yes i was quite young 10 years ago around around under 20s. now im in late 20s and reaching 30 in few years.

Do you ever wonder why this problem persists?

Adam Jensen:
snip

The Witcher 3 is probably my 2nd favorite game of all time. However i do have to disagree that i do not think the first two games were very good. Especially the first game. TW2 was pretty good, but wasn't fantastic. CDPR has gotten only better with every game, I am curious to see if they do a Witcher 4 that maybe focuses on Ciri.

B-Cell:

Adam Jensen:

B-Cell:

Hello fellow humans, I am also a fellow human of a general age that doesn't represent my behavior or ability to produce rational thought. Let's have a conversation about the Best Game Ever!!! Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Except by conversation I mean you other fellow humans discuss and I will contribute nothing of value nor answer any requests to justify my opinion. I shall just make out of context statements to cause the most confusion among you other fellow humans.

Discus......

B-Cell:

Adam Jensen:

B-Cell:

after decade later, how it is possible for me to stopped aging?

Read your posts. Any of them.

B-Cell:

You shouldn't be bragging about that.

As predictable and obnoxious as it may be, expressing appreciation for one's favorite games in a positive way is in the good side of my book.

CaitSeith:
As predictable and obnoxious as it may be, expressing appreciation for one's favorite games in a positive way is in the good side of my book.

Key words being "positive way."

A.k.a. not making the same topic over and over.

Hawki:

CaitSeith:

Or being inconditionally condescending to absolutely everything and everyone else.

CaitSeith:

You're referring to the OP? Because if so, it only takes a cursory glance through any given B-Cell thread to see how sorely wrong you are on the "in a positive way" front.

Sure, he talks up his (rather limited) pool of franchises that he likes, but in doing so he unceremoniously shits all over every other game and franchise that falls outside his frame of reference. Especially so if the other games/franchises are at all popular.
In fact, his last thread was closed for this very reason.

Johnny Novgorod:

Hawki:

CaitSeith:

Or being inconditionally condescending to absolutely everything and everyone else.

IceForce:

CaitSeith:

You're referring to the OP? Because if so, it only takes a cursory glance through any given B-Cell thread to see how sorely wrong you are on the "in a positive way" front.

Sure, he talks up his (rather limited) pool of franchises that he likes, but in doing so he unceremoniously shits all over every other game and franchise that falls outside his frame of reference. Especially so if the other games/franchises are at all popular.
In fact, his last thread was closed for this very reason.

I never said that was the case here.

B-Cell:

Hello friends,

So i have looking into like every other franchise. and every series has atleast one bad game or black sheep or a game that is good but not as good as other. Even Half life has episode 1 which suck imo.

Enter Doom, there are 4 main games and all 4 main games has been masterpieces for thier respected era.

Doom 1 and 2 might be dated for today standard but in 1993 Doom was just something really new. pretty much pioneer FPS genre and released at a time when there were no or very little 3D games at all. although wolf 3d was first FPS but Doom was the game that pretty much invented the genre.

Doom 3 released in 2004 and was masterpiece along with Half life 2. it was Half life equivalent and when i first played it. i was blown away. it was dark, horror, scary and very different approach to original games.

Then Doom reboot released in 2016 and become easily best game of this generation and also best FPS of decade. amazing game, back to original roots with some modern mechanics althought it should not be arena lockdown but its combat is so so great that it never feel boring.

Now this fall. Doom Eternal is releasing (RIP fall 2019) and taking more crazy approach, the first modern Doom game set on earth and looks and feel so amazing. demons are destructable, dashing mechainics, grappling, climb via pole etc. another Doom game that feel like masterpiece.

I cannot think of any other gaming franchise that has all games equally amazing.

so what do you think my friend? lets discuss

No since Doom 3 was crap on a cracker. Now put down your crack pipe.

I never understood Doom 3 hate. sure it was not carbon copy of Doom 1 and 2. but it was everything a good FPS needed. it was dark, atmospheric and only Doom game that feel immersive.

it was almost as good as Half life 2 back in 2004. the flashlight mechanics really worked.

B-Cell:
I never understood Doom 3 hate. sure it was not carbon copy of Doom 1 and 2. but it was everything a good FPS needed. it was dark, atmospheric and only Doom game that feel immersive.

it was almost as good as Half life 2 back in 2004. the flashlight mechanics really worked.

Much as I love D3, I can understand the dislike it gets in that it's such a departure from the games up to that point. I'd still maintain it's a good game in its own right though.

The big titles by Paradox Interactive... oh wait, they're strategy games, they don't count... do they?(!)

Personally, I don't think any substantial franchise has an all 'masterpiece' game list... screw that no franchise really has an all 'good' game list.

KotOR is marred by tOR and 2's bugs
ME is marred by ME:A (and 3 for some)
Witcher is marred by 1 (being an SP MMORPG and the fucking sex collectible cards)
AC is marred by... the sheer opportunity Ubisoft gave for shooting themselves in the foot (repeatedly)
TW is marred by Attila and ToB (and others depending on how harsh you want to be)
DE is marred by IW (and MD for a lot... it was huge step back from HR IMO at least)
HoI is marred by the various shitstorms it generated and 1 being kinda crap
DoW is marred by Soulstorm's utter lack of balance and polish, 2 being divisive and 3 being shit

Leaving EU (Paradox's Europa Universalis), which is consistently well received by audience and critics alike, including their spinoff titles (Rome/Victoria etc.).

But w/e...

In any event, I fail to see how Doom deserves any sort of 'masterpiece' tag... it's an FPS... you shoot shit, which is fine, but it's visceral, not cerebral, lacking any and all narrative.

But what do I know, I play strategy games, so fuck my opinion...

SckizoBoy:
screw that no franchise really has an all 'good' game list.

-Advance Wars

-Diablo

-Golden Sun

-StarCraft

Yes, I'm repeating itself, but if we want a franchise where every entry is at least "good," then that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Hawki:

SckizoBoy:
screw that no franchise really has an all 'good' game list.

-Advance Wars

-Diablo

-Golden Sun

-StarCraft

Yes, I'm repeating itself, but if we want a franchise where every entry is at least "good," then that shouldn't be too hard to do.

you seriously gonna sit there and cite diablo when diablo 3 exists? not to mention that doom resurrection and doom 3 resurrection of evil exist so already the base claim is false.

Bombiz:

you seriously gonna sit there and cite diablo when diablo 3 exists?

Considering that D3 is generally well regarded these days, and is my favourite in the series...yes?

B-Cell:

I was kinda disappointed the plot didn't happen at Deimos, or that there was no chunk of Phobos floating over Hell. The same goes for Doom 4.

SckizoBoy:
The big titles by Paradox Interactive... oh wait, they're strategy games, they don't count... do they?(!)

Personally, I don't think any substantial franchise has an all 'masterpiece' game list... screw that no franchise really has an all 'good' game list.

KotOR is marred by tOR and 2's bugs
ME is marred by ME:A (and 3 for some)
Witcher is marred by 1 (being an SP MMORPG and the fucking sex collectible cards)
AC is marred by... the sheer opportunity Ubisoft gave for shooting themselves in the foot (repeatedly)
TW is marred by Attila and ToB (and others depending on how harsh you want to be)
DE is marred by IW (and MD for a lot... it was huge step back from HR IMO at least)
HoI is marred by the various shitstorms it generated and 1 being kinda crap
DoW is marred by Soulstorm's utter lack of balance and polish, 2 being divisive and 3 being shit

Leaving EU (Paradox's Europa Universalis), which is consistently well received by audience and critics alike, including their spinoff titles (Rome/Victoria etc.).

But w/e...

In any event, I fail to see how Doom deserves any sort of 'masterpiece' tag... it's an FPS... you shoot shit, which is fine, but it's visceral, not cerebral, lacking any and all narrative.

But what do I know, I play strategy games, so fuck my opinion...

Honestly I'd play TOR before I played either KOTOR game because it is at least playable without some severe hoop jumping. That said I'd give a remaster of both games a red hot go.

Masterpiece is a bit much. Incredibly fun and maybe graphically impressive for when they came out and hell, I'll even give you a groundbreaking for the first one but they ain't exactly Tarkovsky, all-star.

Also, Doom 3's guns sounded like pellet guns. Dunno why, but it always annoyed me how piss weak they sounded.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here