Another Detective Pikachu Pokemon movie trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q30dYUPdvXQ

Yeesh if Lickitung looked this creepy. I can only imagine Ghastly/Haunter/Gengar and Mewtwo.

They look so creepy it's almost charming.

Like... I don't know what Pokemon could look like realistically, but it's not that.

This is one of the reasons I hate CGI. It almost never looks real. In Who Framed Roger Rabbit, my mind could make sense of it because it was fully acknowledged that these were cartoons so it made sense to see people interact with them. All I see is people interacting with unreal things and I wonder what the hell is wrong with them.

I'm not the only one who's positive he saw some kind of actual spray coming out of Pikachu's rear end when he did a coffee-fart in the middle of the trailer, right? 0_o

ObsidianJones:
Like... I don't know what Pokemon could look like realistically, but it's not that.

This is one of the reasons I hate CGI. It almost never looks real. In Who Framed Roger Rabbit, my mind could make sense of it because it was fully acknowledged that these were cartoons so it made sense to see people interact with them. All I see is people interacting with unreal things and I wonder what the hell is wrong with them.

I love we have to believe that an unreal-looking yellow living stuffed animal is a normal ocurrence while an unreal-looking yellow living stuffed animal that talks is completly bonkers.

Of all the videos I've seen today, this is...one of them.

Seriously, I wonder if they knew this was going to have a niche audience so they decided to go nightmare fuel for the chuckles.

If Ryan Renolds isn't careful he's going to Leslie Nielsen his own career.

Silentpony:

He already did with Deadpool didn't he?

Johnny Novgorod:

Silentpony:

He already did with Deadpool didn't he?

I was under the impression Deadpool had some seriousness to it. Like for all the jokes and references, we were expected to take the plot of killing the dude or rescuing the kid seriously. Like the characters took the plot seriously, Deadpool aside.
Movies like Airplane or the Naked Gun movies, although 'serious' to a degree, everyone knows its a movie. Every character is looking at the camera, talking to the audience, etc...there are no stakes what so ever.

I would say its the difference between Freakazoid and well, Deadpool. Deadpool knows he's a character, talks to the reader, yadda yadda, but he still takes the story seriously. Freakazoid threatens to fire the writers if they don't let him win, or tells the villains they won't get a call-back if they keep annoying him. One is aware he's a character, the other is literally God in his own Universe.

CaitSeith:
I love we have to believe that an unreal-looking yellow living stuffed animal is a normal ocurrence while an unreal-looking yellow living stuffed animal that talks is completly bonkers.

Excuse me, I'm a little confused about what you're saying here. Is this a comment that it's a little silly that I need the things displayed to me is congruous? Or that I shouldn't worry about that because the character is talking?

Because to the latter, I would say Meowth. Anyway, in the trailer it was shown that there's some sort of magical mind connection.

It looks like... well, you know, basically Dr. Doolittle with Pokemon. It's a very weird approach to take for the first live action Pokemon movie. And right now I'm wondering if that means that they've been thinking outside the box, or not thinking at all.

Wait. Does France exist in the Pokemon world?

ObsidianJones:

CaitSeith:
I love we have to believe that an unreal-looking yellow living stuffed animal is a normal occurrence while an unreal-looking yellow living stuffed animal that talks is completely bonkers.

Excuse me, I'm a little confused about what you're saying here. Is this a comment that it's a little silly that I need the things displayed to me is congruous? Or that I shouldn't worry about that because the character is talking?

None. It's more about the movie having silly expectations for the audience.

CaitSeith:

ObsidianJones:

CaitSeith:
I love we have to believe that an unreal-looking yellow living stuffed animal is a normal occurrence while an unreal-looking yellow living stuffed animal that talks is completely bonkers.

*shrug* I well practiced at suspension of disbelief to get into a story, so it honestly doesn't feel like a big deal to me, personally.

It's a world of pokemon and it's totally normal, right got it. It's weird that this one can talk and there's one person who can understand it. Right, got it. No disconnect at all, just whatever the author says that makes sense for this world.

PsychedelicDiamond:
It looks like... well, you know, basically Dr. Doolittle with Pokemon. It's a very weird approach to take for the first live action Pokemon movie. And right now I'm wondering if that means that they've been thinking outside the box, or not thinking at all.

I really have no idea what they were thinking. I guess they saw it less risky to make an adaptation from a spin-off game instead of picking one of the plots from the main series.

aegix drakan:

CaitSeith:

ObsidianJones:

*shrug* I well practiced at suspension of disbelief to get into a story, so it honestly doesn't feel like a big deal to me, personally.

It's a world of pokemon and it's totally normal, right got it. It's weird that this one can talk and there's one person who can understand it. Right, got it. No disconnect at all, just whatever the author says that makes sense for this world.

The disbelieve kinda wavers when they try to make the pokemon look "real". I prefer to take it from the silly side than from the "this is how they'd look like in the real world" premise it tries to present.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here