Halo Master Chief Collection is coming to PC

Sounds like Microsoft has finally decided to port the venerable Halo series to pc.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/976730/Halo_The_Master_Chief_Collection/

It sounds like the release will be Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, and Halo 4. So thats cool, but they are releasing it in an odd way. It sounds like the first game to be released with be Reach, then Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST and Halo 4. It fits the chronological order of the series but you will need to buy each one individually. Right now people are saying it will be $5-$10 per game which is a pretty good price despite their age, if true. It also sounds like you might need an xbox live account to play them, it sounds like just having one will be enough, you don't need a paid subscription.

I never played Halo 2, so that alone is good enough reason for me to get this on a platform I actually use.

Mixed feelings about the multiplayer though. On the one hand, Halo multiplayer...on the other, Halo multiplayer on PC. And I'm the guy who does pretty well on console shooters and then gets goddamn murdered on PC shooters when it comes to multiplayer.

Worth pointing out that it'll be on steam, no need to use windows store. (freaking put state of decay 2 on steam already!)

Meiam:
Worth pointing out that it'll be on steam, no need to use windows store. (freaking put state of decay 2 on steam already!)

I did link to the steam store page.

So, they are retrying that whole Xbox via PC thing again?

Halo Reach? The good one?! Sold!!

Silentpony:

Saelune:

What do you mean?

Worgen:

Saelune:

What do you mean?

Some PC games you could play with your Xbox account, get achievements and stuff. Dead Rising 2 and the Mortal Kombat collection had it, I know cause I used it for them via Steam. Though they eventually nixed the whole thing, and now my Mortal Kombat game doesn't work and Dead Rising 2 actually got updated to work without it.

Saelune:

Worgen:

Saelune:

What do you mean?

Some PC games you could play with your Xbox account, get achievements and stuff. Dead Rising 2 and the Mortal Kombat collection had it, I know cause I used it for them via Steam. Though they eventually nixed the whole thing, and now my Mortal Kombat game doesn't work and Dead Rising 2 actually got updated to work without it.

I think its more to access the Halowaypoint thing, plus it might allow cross platform play. I mean for that to work you would need a unified match maker and xbox live is already one that is setup.

I still find it ironic that the best Halo game to date is the one without the Chief in it (bar a minuscule cameo).

It's good news though, especially as that means my friends who *don't* have Reach on back-compat will get it with their MC bundle. Game-nights will once again ring to the sounds of 'Infection' and 'SWAT'!

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

ODST was good too come to think of it, but the main title games have always, ironically, been the weakest of the IP

I'm stoked.

I have such fond memories of the first game. Playing it after school on friday (The story and the multiplayer both) at the card shop down the street from my high school was one of the few good memories I have of my time in that hellhole.

That and I also have fond memories of playing the Halo 3 and Reach multiplayer with my best friend back in my CEGEP days.

So getting to play them again makes me REAL happy. :) It's about damn time they all come to PC, really.

I've been wishing for this for years and it was one of the reasons I regretted selling my Xbox One. I see it also claims to have kept the online co op, so i guess they're getting two sales from me. Just hoping they don't skimp on PC settings, and let us change the crosshair position.

Silentpony:

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

ODST was good too come to think of it, but the main title games have always, ironically, been the weakest of the IP

Halo 2 had the best cutscenes and voice acting.

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Samtemdo8:

Halo 2 had the best cutscenes and voice acting.

It had the best multiplayer

I can die happy now, I've been wanting this for a decade and it's finally happening.

Peh, please. I'd played all of these games before it was cool (if PC = "cool").

I'm more interested in Halo Infinite. And by "interested," I mean, hoping for good news, because what's been revealed so far hasn't endeared me to it.

I don't understand what the big deal is. It's a collection of old FPS games coming to a platform that has endless FPS game and many of them are far better than any Halo game.

There are memes that this is a blow to the Epic game store and I just don't understand how it matters that Steam picked up another old ass collection.

CritialGaming:
I don't understand what the big deal is. It's a collection of old FPS games coming to a platform that has endless FPS game and many of them are far better than any Halo game.

There are memes that this is a blow to the Epic game store and I just don't understand how it matters that Steam picked up another old ass collection.

Well, it is the collection of games that more or less provided the bedrock foundation upon which the Xbox brand is built. Without Halo, it might be that the Xbox never took off to the degree it did.

CritialGaming:

I mean that's your opinion, man. If you don't understand how people can have different opinions then that's your problem, I guess ?\_(ツ)_/?

Halo is one of the biggest franchises in gaming for a reason, you know.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

CritialGaming:

I mean that's your opinion, man. If you don't understand how people can have different opinions then that's your problem, I guess ?\_(ツ)_/?

What's that?

Johnny Novgorod:

What's that?

Quality of gameplay, scope of universe, etc.

That sort of thing. Manages to deliver on both the story and gameplay front.

Samtemdo8:
sNIP

Did it? I know I played it, but I barely remember any of it. I remember my brother and I got a warthog onto the scarab walker in the 2nd level, because I am the best Halo driver of all time, but that's about it...

CritialGaming:

I guess its nostalgia, and kinda' like a remake of Mass Effect(which I have on inside information will never happen) it'd sell gangbusters with the fans.
Also co-op with friends.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

CritialGaming:

I'm not saying that I don't understand how people like Halo. I get that it is a beloved franchise. What I don't get is why people care about the old games on Steam, when the collection has not only been on PC for a while now but has also been a pretty trashy pc port on top of it. (I don't know if patches or modding has fixed it).

Just seems redundant.

CritialGaming:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

CritialGaming:

I'm not saying that I don't understand how people like Halo. I get that it is a beloved franchise. What I don't get is why people care about the old games on Steam, when the collection has not only been on PC for a while now but has also been a pretty trashy pc port on top of it. (I don't know if patches or modding has fixed it).

Just seems redundant.

No, Halo hasn't been on pc since halo 2 and very few people played that since it was released to try and push windows Vista.

CritialGaming:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

CritialGaming:

Just seems redundant.

Not really. Halo 2 was the last main game to get ported to PC, and that was over a decade ago so it's kind of difficult to get it running on modern systems. Plus no co operative mode.

This is the full remastered version, plus all the games that weren't previously released on PC. People that didn't have an Xbox will be playing most of these games for the first time, and they are retaining their full co op/multiplayer functionality.

CritialGaming:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

CritialGaming:

Just seems redundant.

Last Halo game on PC was Halo 2 on Vista almost 12 years ago, the port was bad and the OS was bad.

Being able to play every single Halo game on PC is a great way for people to get back into the series and for new people to join.

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

What's that?

Quality of gameplay, scope of universe, etc.

That sort of thing. Manages to deliver on both the story and gameplay front.

I've never played a single Halo game. To me it's one of those legacy IPs that was around at the right time to cash in on a niche market and has coasted on brand recognition ever since. I always figured the gameplay was fine but the story was barely there.

I can finally do Halo 3 multiplayer again! Yay!

CritialGaming:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

CritialGaming:

Just seems redundant.

Halo 1 and Halo 2 were the only main line entries on PC. And Halo 2 was doubly damned because it was tied to both Games for Windows Live AND Windows Vista - two things the PC Gaming community of the day equated to plague rats.

So no, the whole collection in this form has never been available to PC gamers.

Lol, I don't know why more than 2 people had to tell Critial the same information, but okay.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here