Samurai Showdown Update: Season 2

I am sure there are some fans on this forum. Who's picking this up in June. All I have to say is that I am glad to see another classic SNK game make a return. The SamSho game came out a decade ago, and was not very good from what I've seen. My experience with the series was that I played the first two games in the arcades and rented them on the Genesis. The sequels, III & IV (both of them being prequels to I & II according to the backstory) I didn't play until the Samurai Showdown Anthology. I'm actually more excited for this than MK 11. With that said, I'll try to pick up MK when I can.

A new character that will be Woolie's waifu.

Some longer gameplay for those interested or curious.

I feel like the fighting game genre is spreading themselves too thin. I mean,how do you expect to keep an active fanbase when there are over a dozen fighting games to play.

And no don't tell me to use Discord. If i have to put in that much effort to find a match, your game is dead.

So i'm expecting the game to be active for about 3 months before it becomes a game where you can only find " regulars" online and another 3 months before you " NEED" to use discord.

It looks interesting but no thanks. I'll wait for the first Fighting game to be released on Ps5. ( Also i'm mad this game took Guilty gears spot at EVO).

Lufia Erim:
I feel like the fighting game genre is spreading themselves too thin. I mean,how do you expect to keep an active fanbase when there are over a dozen fighting games to play.

And no don't tell me to use Discord. If i have to put in that much effort to find a match, your game is dead.

So i'm expecting the game to be active for about 3 months before it becomes a game where you can only find " regulars" online and another 3 months before you " NEED" to use discord.

It looks interesting but no thanks. I'll wait for the first Fighting game to be released on Ps5. ( Also i'm mad this game took Guilty gears spot at EVO).

I can't speak about the whole Discord server, because I never use it.

Honestly, the fighting game genre is in another golden age after being in a drought for most of the generation 7. All we had were SF4 (with nothing but updated versions for the near decade), Soul Calibur 4 & 5 (the fifth entry caused the series to go on hiatus), Dead or Alive 4 & 5, Viruta Fighter 5 (the best they got were guest spots in DOA5:LR) MK9, MvC3 (w/ an updated version), Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Inustice, Street Fighter X Tekken (bombed due to horrible DLC and the gem systems) Blaze Blue, and Skullgirls. I am not counting any HD or compilation re-releases.

I see where you're coming from though. SamSho at least is giving the game a huge roster and ain't relying on "seasons" or DLC bullshit. KoF14 had some DLC, but at leas the roster was huge from the beginning, and only 4 characters were dlc. Lately, a lot of fighting games have been too dependent on the season pass bullshit: SFV, MvCI, Dead or Alive 6, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 6, Blazeblue X Tag (the one to do it the worse), MKX, and FighterZ. Ironically, the only ones to get it right were Killer Instinct (2013) and Fighting Layer EX. Both are low-budget digital only fighting games that knew how to do DLC correctly, with the former coming out with a physical version 2 years after its release, with the majority of the content on the disc. Arms did a pretty good job with its DLC from what I heard.

The genre itself is already niche, aside from Injustice and MK. I think the problem is the lack of content quality in the quantity of games I mentioned. Or the huge problem being fixed way after launch. I am quality over quantity type myself, but happy to see a different type of fighting game for everyone, instead of the usual SF, MK, SC, or sometimes DOA. And like I said, there has not been another SS game since 2008, so I am welcomed to it. Sorry it took the EVO spot from GG, but that goes to show you much people wanted an old franchise back.

CoCage:

Lufia Erim:

Honestly, the fighting game genre is in another golden age after being in a drought for most of the generation 7. All we had were SF4 (with nothing but updated versions for the near decade), Soul Calibur 4 & 5 (the fifth entry caused the series to go on hiatus), Dead or Alive 4 & 5, Viruta Fighter 5 (the best they got were guest spots in DOA5:LR) MK9, MvC3 (w/ an updated version), Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Inustice, Capcom X Tekken (bombed due to horrible DLC and the gem systems) Blaze Blue, and Skullgirls. I am not counting any HD or compilation re-releases.

I see where you're coming from though. SamSho at least is giving the game a huge roster and ain't relying on "seasons" or DLC bullshit. KoF14 had some DLC, but at leas the roster was huge from the beginning, and only 4 characters were dlc. Lately, a lot of fighting games have been too dependent on the season pass bullshit: SFV, MvCI, Dead or Alive 6, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 6, Blazeblue X Tag (the one to do it the worse), MKX, and FighterZ. Ironically, the only ones to get it right were Killer Instinct (2013) and Fighting Layer EX. Both are low-budget digital only fighting games that knew how to do DLC correctly, with the former coming out with a physical version 2 years after its release, with the majority of the content on the disc. Arms did a pretty good job with its DLC from what I heard.

The genre itself is already niche, aside from Injustice and MK. I think the problem is the lack of content quality in the quantity of games I mentioned. Or the huge problem being fixed way after launch. I am quality over quantity type myself, but happy to see a different type of fighting game for everyone, instead of the usual SF, MK, SC, or sometimes DOA. And like I said, there has not been another SS game since 2008, so I am welcomed to it. Sorry it took the EVO spot from GG, but that goes to show you much people wanted an old franchise back.

That's exactly my point. Don't get me wrong, i'm glad there is another Samurai showdown game for those who want it (i know maximillian is excited for it's release), but there are JUST SO MANY.

Too many. It's a niche genre, that relies on a competitive community, but that same community is spread too thin with all these games. So what end up happening a lot is, game communities die, because there aren't enough players for every game.

The popular well known ones will be fine ( SF, TEKKEN, MK, Soul Calibur, Smash ) while other have a small dedicated fanbase ( Blazblue, Guilty gear, Uniel, DoA and KoF) And anything else kind of dies.

Basically i find there are too many games for the amount of people who buy Fighting games. Having to rely on an outside source( discord or forums) to find online matches is tedious and unfun.

DISCLAIMER : That is no an end all be all list, just off the top of my head.

There is a grandblue fantasy game in the works, that i would love to buy, but whats the point in spending 60$ and hundreads of hours to get good at the game, when 3 months latter the onlinr mode will be barren.

Lufia Erim:

CoCage:

Lufia Erim:

Honestly, the fighting game genre is in another golden age after being in a drought for most of the generation 7. All we had were SF4 (with nothing but updated versions for the near decade), Soul Calibur 4 & 5 (the fifth entry caused the series to go on hiatus), Dead or Alive 4 & 5, Viruta Fighter 5 (the best they got were guest spots in DOA5:LR) MK9, MvC3 (w/ an updated version), Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Inustice, Capcom X Tekken (bombed due to horrible DLC and the gem systems) Blaze Blue, and Skullgirls. I am not counting any HD or compilation re-releases.

That's exactly my point. Don't get me wrong, i'm glad there is another Samurai showdown game for those who want it (i know maximillian is excited for it's release), but there are JUST SO MANY.

Too many. It's a niche genre, that relies on a competitive community, but that same community is spread too thin with all these games. So what end up happening a lot is, game communities die, because there aren't enough players for every game.

The popular well known ones will be fine ( SF, TEKKEN, MK, Soul Calibur, Smash ) while other have a small dedicated fanbase ( Blazblue, Guilty gear, Uniel, DoA and KoF) And anything else kind of dies.

Basically i find there are too many games for the amount of people who buy Fighting games. Having to rely on an outside source( discord or forums) to find online matches is tedious and unfun.

DISCLAIMER : That is no an end all be all list, just off the top of my head.

There is a grandblue fantasy game in the works, that i would love to buy, but whats the point in spending 60$ and hundreads of hours to get good at the game, when 3 months latter the onlinr mode will be barren.

Speaking of over saturation, you notice that a lot of fighting games based off anime are 3D arena brawlers? That said, Kill La Kill IF looks fun.

CoCage:

Speaking of over saturation, you notice that a lot of fighting games based off anime are 3D arena brawlers? That said, Kill La Kill IF looks fun.

Yeah . Now i'm not an expert in arena fighters, but i know they are a lot more popular in japan then in the west. Everyone was surprised we got Jump force ( how is that game doing btw?).

Pokken, Final fantasy dissidia, Naruto, DB budokai a others tend to not do to well over here.

As for Kill la kill, personally, i enjoyed the anime, but absolutely hated the artstyle. Actually of i'm being honest,the first time i tried to watch it, i didn't make it past 5 minutes because of the artstyle. The second time i was bored to decided to give it a fair shake and really got into it DESPITE the artwork.

The game looks very true to the anime in terms of how it looks. Which is always good for the sake of faithfulness to the source material. Unfortunately, that was the one thing about the anime i didn't like.

Mako is still the best Comic relief character in any series ever though.

Lufia Erim:

CoCage:

of over saturation, you notice that a lot of fighting games based off anime are 3D arena brawlers? That said, Kill La Kill IF looks fun.

As for Kill la kill, personally, i enjoyed the anime, but absolutely hated the artstyle. Actually of i'm being honest,the first time i tried to watch it, i didn't make it past 5 minutes because of the artstyle. The second time i was bored to decided to give it a fair shake and really got into it DESPITE the artwork.

The game looks very true to the anime in terms of how it looks. Which is always good for the sake of faithfulness to the source material. Unfortunately, that was the one thing about the anime i didn't like.

Mako is still the best Comic relief character in any series ever though.

sorry you couldn't enjoy the art style. I know it can be hit-or-miss for some people, but I like the art style for kill la kill. At least it doesn't have the homogenize look most modern anime carry nowadays. Even if I didn't like it, at least it stands out as unique. Kill la kill I did not watch until I year after it had already been aired and dubbed. at the time I found the concept ridiculous, but I gave it a shot because I needed something
different. Plus, most modern anime holds no interest to me. I found myself loving the series after seeing it. I will get the boxes but aniplex charges way too much for individual episodes on Blu Ray, and never put some in a set. It makes me wish FUNimation got the license instead.

The game looks sweet and I'm going to put money down later in the summer. And Mako is a fun character, though her little speeches can get a bit repetitive some of the time. At least she is not the most annoying hyperactive character in an anime or cartoon show

Lufia Erim:

Discord is really not some kind of effort-based thing. It's more of a way of being able to dissect your matches and offer feedback and develop friendships/mentorship/rivalries and so on. If you're new and you wanna pick up a game, irrespective of how active it is, discord IS imperative either way.

FighterZ is still plenty alive a year and 4 months after release but the discord is still very useful. Stuff like Guilty Gear and Blazblue that came out years ago will be less populated than it but that's still not a big deal either. I am one of the mods for the blazblue cross tag battle discord and there's 11.000 people there so you can always fight someone new or ask for help.

Some more reveals.

Check this out. There are some unique features coming to the game.

SEASON 2, BABY!

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.