How does everyone feel about the final fantasy 7 remake

Pages PREV 1 2

It looks like Kingdom Hearts style combat, which I don't care for, made by modern Square Enix, which I have not heard good things about since apparently FF XV was kind of a mess, spread out over multiple games, which I think is a mistake, for a game I'm mildly interested in (enough to have bought the original for Switch) but don't have a huge nostalgic attachment for, I was a IV and VI boy.

So generally apathetic and half expecting it to be a dumpster fire.

erttheking:
It looks like Kingdom Hearts style combat, which I don't care for, made by modern Square Enix, which I have not heard good things about since apparently FF XV was kind of a mess, spread out over multiple games, which I think is a mistake, for a game I'm mildly interested in (enough to have bought the original for Switch) but don't have a huge nostalgic attachment for, I was a IV and VI boy.

What makes it KH combat? The stopping time slow motion? The need to charge meter in order to use abilities? The instant ability to swap to a different character to control? The ability to hotkey not only actions for the character you are controlling but everyone else in the party as well? The fact that the AI will not just throw out abilities and magic on their own and must be told to do so by the player? The materia customization allowing for custom combos of magics?

CritialGaming:

erttheking:

What makes it KH combat? The stopping time slow motion? The need to charge meter in order to use abilities? The instant ability to swap to a different character to control? The ability to hotkey not only actions for the character you are controlling but everyone else in the party as well? The fact that the AI will not just throw out abilities and magic on their own and must be told to do so by the player? The materia customization allowing for custom combos of magics?

Sorry I wasn't clear. All those mechanics are layered on a type of engine and gameplay style that I never liked because it felt too floaty and lacking in impact. Those new mechanics don't change that I just don't like the foundation that much.

erttheking:

Sorry I wasn?t clear. All those mechanics are layered on a type of engine and gameplay style that I never liked because it felt too floaty and lacking in impact. Those new mechanics don?t change that I just don?t like the foundation that much.

Square has had this recurring issue with being unable to decide whether combat systems be turn-based or real-time. As such, it just looks like a clusterfuck

Has anyone else never really liked Cloud's redesigned model compared to the original? His hair is so much less spikey and looks kind of lame.

image imageimage

CaitSeith:

Lufia Erim:
So at this point everyone and their grand mother knows the story to FF7.
Which makes sense because why the hell would i buy 1/3 of a story? Especially a story I ALREADY KNOW?

Silentpony:
Never played the original, literally couldn't care less about the remake

I'm not seeing where there is absolutely a contradiction here. Silentpony only stated that he had never played the original not that he necessarily didn't know the story. I'd be willing to be that he could at least name a couple of the major characters and story beats, they've been referenced so often.

Drathnoxis:
Has anyone else never really liked Cloud's redesigned model compared to the original? His hair is so much less spikey and looks kind of lame.

image imageimage

Clouds redesign model looks fine to me, so no complaints on my part. You seem to forget that it's not the late 90s/early 2000s, so that design with the overly large spiky hair does not exactly work with the more (semi)realistic art style. If they went with a more anime style, then it could work more in line with his original design. Cloud still has the spiky hair, it's just not as exaggerated. Character models look great as far as I'm concerned, but that is not my main problem with the remake. If you've seen my previous posts, you already know the answer.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here