Who are the best Anti Heroes in gaming?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hello friends,

In this thread we discuss who are the best anti hero in gaming or in other words who are our fav ones. The Anti Hero are those Heroes who lack heroic quality. they are not bad guys but not complete good. they are not black but not white. they are grey characters or have some grey shades. so characters like Doom guy who is most badass one is not count as anti hero because he is white meat hero.

heres what i think are

Tommy Angelo

The most well written character in gaming history. his evolution in original game was simply fantastic and art of writing. normally he is forced to work with mafia but still maintained his morals. He killed bad mafias, He didn't kill Don friend and let him escape so he can declare him dead, he didn't killed his wife best friend whom he was order too, he couldn't kill innocent and help police to arrest his former boss too.

Max Payne

His story is most depressing story in gaming history. He lost his wife, his daughter, frame for murder of his friend, hunted by cops and criminal, arrest, release, lost another love one, failed to protect family in brazil. and even with that he remain one of the most badass protagonist in gaming history. he dont care about anyone other than getting revenge. and even after years later in max payne 3, he was betrayed by family he suppose to protect and he fight them and never gives up.

Agent 47

Although He is cold blooded killer but he is complete black character as all of his targets are criminal although his motive for killing is not to save other but what his agency ICA told him and he is doing his job. He is perfect example of Grey shaded anti hero.

JC Denton

JC Denton, the main protagonist of greatest game of all time. his look is amazing and thats why i want remake. other than He work for UNATCO who sent to kill "terrorist" but later found out those were freedom fighters and UNATCO work under illuminati so he gone rouge. as a result he was declared most wanted man in the world. as entire universe is against him. what he did was to uncover conspiracy.

Riddick

Another Great example of Anti Hero is Riddick. he is very violent and do anything to escape from butcher bay as im only speaking gaming point of view and not movie point of view as i know vin diesel has portrayed this character to perfection. He even fight till death so he can escape, he was sent to the mines where no one can escape. he is just amazing example of how anti hero could have been.

so my friends, what are you fav anti heroes in gaming? lets discuss.

JC isn't an Anti hero though. He's a straight up Paragon. The others in the program that made him all has apostolic names (Paul, etc) so JC is basically short for jesus christ.

Hell, by the end of the game

So an anti-hero he is not.

An Anti hero is a character who you want to root for even though you know you shouldn't. Someone who is only really a good guy by the fact that an actual good guy hero isn't a the protagonist.

Kratos. I mean, right? Kratos is so much fun to be, but good guy he is not.

Probably any of the Silent Hero player character 'cause they're all like secretly insane serial killers with amnesia

Alex Mercer of Prototype and every GTA's "protagonist." Those games are made to let players roleplay as a murderous psychopath.

Heyoooo, look who found a new way to talk about the same games he always does. Godspeed, you.

CritialGaming:

Interestingly enough, Kratos has all the qualities of what antique cultures would've considered a hero. By modern standards though, he's been both anti-hero and villain protagonist, depending on the game.

Anyway, to pick some characters that haven't been mentioned yet:
- Dante (Devil May Cry), both original and Donte
- Altair, Ezio and Edward Kenway (Assassin's Creed)
- Guybrush Threepwood (Monkey Island)
- Sly Cooper
- Garret (Thief)
- Corvo Attano (Dishonored)
- Wario

Also, any protagonist from any rpg with a morality system, depending on how you play them.

Chimpzy:

CritialGaming:

Interestingly enough, Kratos has all the qualities of what antique cultures would've considered a hero. By modern standards though, he's been both anti-hero and villain protagonist, depending on the game.

Which is interesting when you consider the subject of those GoW games. It's almost as if his character plays to the history and the themes of the setting in which his games take place. That's something to consider for me, next time someone talks about how shitty of a character Kratos is.

CritialGaming:

Chimpzy:

CritialGaming:

Which is interesting when you consider the subject of those GoW games. It's almost as if his character plays to the history and the themes of the setting in which his games take place. That's something to consider for me, next time someone talks about how shitty of a character Kratos is.

Well he sure came off as a big a-hole more and more in the old games and tonally the writing wasn't great, but yeah...take any badass Spartan captain and see what they'd do if they were tricked into murdering their family and then held in servitude to those who tricked him. He tried killing himself many times to put an end to everything ("there's no hope") but they kept bringing him back. Of course all that would be incredibly frustrating to the point of madness and pure rage, ultimately sending him on his way to "breaking the wheel".

Staying out of his way would've been a key prerogative.

Chimpzy:
SNIP

Is Sly Cooper really an anti-hero? He's a time traveling thief, sure, but he specifically travels time and robs from other thieves and super villains, saving the world multiple times.
Its like that new Carmen Sandiego show where she's been re-imagined as Batman. Its just going so hard into 'they're a nice person' that 'anti-hero' doesn't fit anymore.
Sly is just a classic hero.

Silentpony:

Chimpzy:
SNIP

Is Sly Cooper really an anti-hero? He's a time traveling thief, sure, but he specifically travels time and robs from other thieves and super villains, saving the world multiple times.
Its like that new Carmen Sandiego show where she's been re-imagined as Batman. Its just going so hard into 'they're a nice person' that 'anti-hero' doesn't fit anymore.

An anti-hero doesn't necessarily need to be an asshole. They can also be someone who achieves otherwise moral ends in ways that are not themselves moral, like stealing. Sly counts as an anti-hero for the same reason Robin Hood does.

Jesus wept, ain't that list of pics a dour montage of misery! You sure you didn't confuse anti-heroes with anti-funsies? Being an anti-hero in one's own power fantasy should be reason enough to smiiiiiile! You get to do all the bad things and still be the protag squeezing every ounce of strained sympathy from your audience. Are there any that are enjoying themselves? It isn't a weakness, my succulent friend. An honest bit of manic laughter can put your enemies off balance as long as they're unprepared.

I don't know, seems like videogame anti-heroes have a chronic case of boring/anemic personalities. What is there to feel enticed by? Trying to think of any distinctive ones, but coming up blank so far. I mean, people were weirdly impressed that one mute fps protag had a single emotion - anger - and nothing else. That's how shit it all is. I'll go with Waluigi. Or the dude from Watch Dogs 2, Marcus. The way I plays him, he ain't your friendly neighborhood Spiderman. Oohh, Sasha of Tales from the Borderlands is a con artist...sooooo that counts, right? Yeah, it has to count, surely. Surely?

CritialGaming:

It's not the character that's shitty, it's the framing.

Xprimentyl:
Alex Mercer of Prototype and every GTA's "protagonist." Those games are made to let players roleplay as a murderous psychopath.

GTA protagonist are not anti heroes. they are flat out bad guys.

Anti Heroes are good guys but lack heroic qualities.

B-Cell:

Xprimentyl:

I'll disagree. Antiheroes are simply main or central characters that, through action and/or trait, defy traditional hero/good guy tropes. As the player-controlled characters, the GTA "protagonists'" goals are, for good or ill, the player's goals. They are the "heroes" of those tales despite their goals breaking every ethical and moral law in the book, almost like someone who is, oh, I dunno, against or has little regard for actions or traits that are traditionally accepted as noble and valorous? What's the word for such a character?...

B-Cell:
Snip

and

Velvet from Tales of Berseria easily takes the cake.

Xprimentyl:

B-Cell:

Xprimentyl:

I?ll disagree. Antiheroes are simply main or central characters that, through action and/or trait, defy traditional hero/good guy tropes. As the player-controlled characters, the GTA ?protagonists?? goals are, for good or ill, the player?s goals. They are the ?heroes? of those tales despite their goals breaking every ethical and moral law in the book, almost like someone who is, oh, I dunno, against or has little regard for actions or traits that are traditionally accepted as noble and valorous? What?s the word for such a character?...

They are the protagonists of the GTA games- that doesn't make them heroes or anti-heroes automatically. I'd say Claude is a pretty straight up anti-hero because he just wants violent revenge on his double crossing criminal girlfriend. Tommy Vercetti is a straight up psychopathic villain, CJ is definitely a hero, and the rest I couldn't be bothered with.

I'd hesitate to call Tommy Angelo an anti hero either- like CJ he's a good man fallen into a life of crime that he'd rather avoid. He does things that the law would quite rightly want to see him do time for, but he never abandons his morals. I'd say Tommy, like CJ is a straight-up hero.

Dunno about "best," but if I'm choosing one per franchise (and not factoring in player choice), I can nominate:

-Hawke (Advance Wars)

-Booker DeWitt (BioShock)

-War (Darksiders)

-Doom Slayer (Doom)

-Jaffar (Fire Emblem)

-Saturos (Golden Sun)

-Durandal (Marathon)

-Big Boss (Metal Gear)

-Ada Wong (Resident Evil)

-Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)

-Tychus Findlay (StarCraft)

-Illidan Stormrage (Warcraft)

B-Cell:
Doom guy who is most badass one is not count as anti hero because he is white meat hero.

...the hell is a "white meat hero?"

But that aside, the Doom Slayer, at least in the context of Doom 2016, counts as an anti-hero for me. He just wants to kill demons, and he doesn't really care about anything else. He certainly doesn't care that he's causing a power crisis on Earth by not properly decoupling the Argent links, and there's not really anything to suggest that he cares about humanity at this point. He just wants to kill demons, and aside from saving the AI character, doesn't care about anything else.

- Altair, Ezio and Edward Kenway (Assassin's Creed)

Kenway, sure, Altair, probably, but how does Ezio fit the mould?

Chimpzy:
Sly counts as an anti-hero for the same reason Robin Hood does.

Wouldn't think RH counts as an anti-hero. He's fighting against a corrupt sherrif, and giving money to poor folk in the process. In the context of his story, that's pretty noble.

Squilookle:
I'd say Claude is a pretty straight up anti-hero because he just wants violent revenge on his double crossing criminal girlfriend.

Yeah, but he doesn't really do anything heroic either.

I'd loosely define an anti-hero as "someone who does the right thing for the wrong (or selfish) reasons, or is generally apathetic about a situation of injstustice, but will fix it either by chance or through self-interest. Claude is just a thug. He doesn't improve things for anyone. He gets rich, he gets revenge, the end.

Hawki:
...the hell is a "white meat hero?"

It's cuz he's a chicken. Obviously.

Squilookle:
CJ is definitely a hero

CJ buried a construction worker alive for saying shit to his sister. People tend to forget that.

Hawki:
how does Ezio fit the mould?

He doesn't. I love Ezio, but he's just one step away from being a Disney hero.

Adam Jensen:

Squilookle:
CJ is definitely a hero

CJ buried a construction worker alive for saying shit to his sister. People tend to forget that.

Hawki:

Exaclty. Ezio is just another Hero.

Edward kenway is anti hero and also best AC protagonist.

2B from Nier: Automata

Because...... spoilers?

Hawki:

Squilookle:
I'd say Claude is a pretty straight up anti-hero because he just wants violent revenge on his double crossing criminal girlfriend.

Yeah, but he doesn't really do anything heroic either.

I'd loosely define an anti-hero as "someone who does the right thing for the wrong (or selfish) reasons, or is generally apathetic about a situation of injstustice, but will fix it either by chance or through self-interest. Claude is just a thug. He doesn't improve things for anyone. He gets rich, he gets revenge, the end.

He dismantles multiple criminal organisations across the whole city as he goes along. I realise GTA 3 is far from a Shakespearean epic, but Claude leaves Liberty City a lot better than it was when he found it- even if he didn't do any of it for altruistic reasons...

Hawki:

But that aside, the Doom Slayer, at least in the context of Doom 2016, counts as an anti-hero for me. He just wants to kill demons, and he doesn't really care about anything else. He certainly doesn't care that he's causing a power crisis on Earth by not properly decoupling the Argent links, and there's not really anything to suggest that he cares about humanity at this point. He just wants to kill demons, and aside from saving the AI character, doesn't care about anything else.

That's up for interpretation. he seems angriest when Hayden is trying to JUSTIFY what happened (such as when he pointedly looks at a mangled corpse as Hayden is saying 'he had the best intentions for humanity'). If you strip away the euphemism, Argent energy is Hell Energy, sucked strain from the place of pure evil, the damned and eternal torment.

'Hell is not a toy', and it's entirely possible it guarantees bringing about hell on earth just by using it, and the backstory implies the doom slayer has a lot of experience of cleaning up messes caused by people thinking they could handle stuff they REALLY shouldn't be messing with. It's entirely possible the consequences of using 'argent energy' in any way or form are far worse than the energy crisis.

CritialGaming:

Kratos isn't an anti-hero, he's a villian protagonist.

Granted, the rest of the Olympians aren't really any better.

GOW:
Athena: Gee, a psychotic, suicidal, rage-fueled murder machine just killed Ares. Let's make him the new God of War!
Kratos: But I'd rather just die.
Athena: Nope, you're the god of war now. Deal with it.

GOW2
Athena: Why are you causing so much war and killing everything?
Kratos: You made me the God of War. What did you expect?

Basically, Olympus(Athena and Zeus in particular) set set themselves up for this. Unfortunately, everyone else had to suffer in the process.

Windknight:

Hawki:

That's up for interpretation. he seems angriest when Hayden is trying to JUSTIFY what happened (such as when he pointedly looks at a mangled corpse as Hayden is saying 'he had the best intentions for humanity'). If you strip away the euphemism, Argent energy is Hell Energy, sucked strain from the place of pure evil, the damned and eternal torment.

'Hell is not a toy', and it's entirely possible it guarantees bringing about hell on earth just by using it, and the backstory implies the doom slayer has a lot of experience of cleaning up messes caused by people thinking they could handle stuff they REALLY shouldn't be messing with. It's entirely possible the consequences of using 'argent energy' in any way or form are far worse than the energy crisis.

Granted, the energy crisis is a result of humanity always trying to take the easy way out and pick the dirtiest and cheapest source of energy instead of fixing it's shit as far as energy consumption and generation. It's almost as if Hell energy it's a giant, painfully obvious metaphor for fossil fuels and pollution.

Adam Jensen:

Squilookle:
CJ is definitely a hero

Hawki:

Eh, Ezio did plenty of SKeevy things, especially in AC Revelations. Notably, he set fire to half of Constipoles harbor trying to escape the city, set fire to an underground city where thousands of people lived(but it's okay, you see like a dozen outside afterwards) and provoked a riot at a military arsenal so he could get inside.

Plenty of innocents were hurt and killed by his actions and Ezio really didn't seem to care. That's not even counting how often Ezio would beat people up in side missions just because he felt like it.

Then again, the Assassins seem to define innocent as "People not directly in my way at the moment", based on the series at large.

Edward has the excuse at least of being a Pirate first, mostly not giving a shit about anyone but himself and helping the assassins mostly when their goals and his happened to align.

Squilookle:
CJ is a straight-up hero.

He steals a bike within 10 seconds of setting foot in the streets of Los Santos.

Chimpzy:

Silentpony:

Chimpzy:
SNIP

An anti-hero doesn't necessarily need to be an asshole. They can also be someone who achieves otherwise moral ends in ways that are not themselves moral, like stealing. Sly counts as an anti-hero for the same reason Robin Hood does.

But isn't Robin Hood just a classic hero? Yeah he robs from the rich, but the rich are evil and corrupt and levied extra taxes in excess of the King's sum, so he's actually 'stealing' back the gold the rich stole from the poor.

Silentpony:
But isn't Robin Hood just a classic hero? Yeah he robs from the rich, but the rich are evil and corrupt and levied extra taxes in excess of the King's sum, so he's actually 'stealing' back the gold the rich stole from the poor.

In his modern incarnations? Yes. In the actual medieval stories? It depends.

In many of the earliest ones he's a rather arrogant and violent thug, who's solely interested in getting back at the local nobles over a grievance and shows little regard for the small folk (in one story he casually kills a page for being in his way during a prison escape). The Sheriff of Nottingham is the antagonist, not because he's evil and corrupt, but because it's his job to deal with outlaws.

All that stuff about taking from the rich and giving to the poor, fighting against the corruption of the evil nobility, being a partisan for Richard Lionheart against the misrule of Prince John, threating his Merry Men as equals, Maid Marian and a bunch of other things commonly associated with him didn't become a regular part of the legend until the late medieval to early modern period.

Squilookle:

Xprimentyl:

B-Cell:

I?ll disagree. Antiheroes are simply main or central characters that, through action and/or trait, defy traditional hero/good guy tropes. As the player-controlled characters, the GTA ?protagonists?? goals are, for good or ill, the player?s goals. They are the ?heroes? of those tales despite their goals breaking every ethical and moral law in the book, almost like someone who is, oh, I dunno, against or has little regard for actions or traits that are traditionally accepted as noble and valorous? What?s the word for such a character?...

They are the protagonists of the GTA games- that doesn't make them heroes or anti-heroes automatically. I'd say Claude is a pretty straight up anti-hero because he just wants violent revenge on his double crossing criminal girlfriend. Tommy Vercetti is a straight up psychopathic villain, CJ is definitely a hero, and the rest I couldn't be bothered with.

I'd hesitate to call Tommy Angelo an anti hero either- like CJ he's a good man fallen into a life of crime that he'd rather avoid. He does things that the law would quite rightly want to see him do time for, but he never abandons his morals. I'd say Tommy, like CJ is a straight-up hero.

Maybe it's semantics, but I consider "hero" and "protagonist" to be interchangeable terms insofar as the context of a fictional story. There's [generally] a single person or group whose interests or goals are the primary focus of the story, and the degree to which those goals or interests are upright, ethical and moral defines the nobility or ignobility of the protagonist(s), or whether they are a "hero," "antihero" or "villain."

But by your definitions of the terms, if mine does not apply to all GTA protagonists, If Vercetti is "a straight up psychopathic villain," who is the "hero" of GTV Vice City? CJ is loyal to a fault, but heads up an illegal gang and through overt violence takes criminal control of the entirety of San Andreas; that doesn't sound like "a good man falling into a life of crime he'd rather avoid." Nico of GTA IV has a typical, quasi-noble revenge plot, but falls easily and willingly into a life of crime to meet his ends. The trinity of GTA V are each characterized as "good guys," they just have no qualms doing "bad things" (in Trevor's case "absolutely ABHORRENT things") to serve their immediate purposes, but none of them are overtly hand-wringing, baby-shaking "villains" against honor and decency for its own sake.

Also, most times, the GTA games show proper authorities like the police, FBI, military, etc. in a cynically seedy, immoral and crooked light making the protagonists, though criminal to their core, as fighters against the corrupted systems of control which lends them an implied righteous purpose. I'd argue that the worst thing the characters ever do are the things the player makes them do between character-defining cinematics and missions, i.e.: it's cognitively dissonant to imagine Franklin (the character) standing on a corner gunning down civilians and police hoping to affect military countermeasures just because, no; the player does that; the player's the villain.

I mean if you're going to look to Assassin's Creed, the best examples are probably not any of the protagonists, but the supporting characters. And before anyone says those don't count, do recall that the question is about Anti-Heroes in gaming, not playable Anti-Heroes specifically.

And for that, I'd say Blackbeard is a solid contender. Let's check this off, shall we? Warm, charismatic, and positively disgusted by the corruption in the British Government. Turns to a life of crime as a pirate, which naturally entailed a lot of waylaying innocent sailors and stealing anything of value from their ships. Plays up his image as a near demonic pirate to inspire fear...so that he won't actually have to use violence against his enemies. Strong sense of responsibility for the island of Nassau. Accepts a pardon for his piracy...and then continues to pirate to secure more funds for his retirement. The way he straddles good and bad is perhaps best shown late in the story where he takes hostages in a British Colony for the sake of securing some much-needed medicine for the island nation he'd helped to found.

Garrett from Thief. I have sentiment for him, his VA and entire series.

aegix drakan:
JC isn't an Anti hero though. He's a straight up Paragon. The others in the program that made him all has apostolic names (Paul, etc) so JC is basically short for jesus christ.

I'd be hesitant to call Max Payne an anti-hero too. Atleast his non-Rockstar iterations. Yes, he murders armed goons by hundreds, but so do many classical video game heroes.

Caleb from Blood. True, he does single handedly exterminate an armed cult worshipping a demon god, and also busts a cap in said demon god effectively saving the world, but it doesn't change that he's an ammoral, homicidal gunfighter who did it all out of pure anger.

Chimpzy:

Silentpony:

In his modern incarnations? Yes. In the actual medieval stories? It depends.

In many of the earliest ones he's a rather arrogant and violent thug, who's solely interested in getting back at the local nobles over a grievance and shows little regard for the small folk (in one story he casually kills a page for being in his way during a prison escape). The Sheriff of Nottingham is the antagonist, not because he's evil and corrupt, but because it's his job to deal with outlaws.

All that stuff about taking from the rich and giving to the poor, fighting against the corruption of the evil nobility, being a partisan for Richard Lionheart against the misrule of Prince John, threating his Merry Men as equals, Maid Marian and a bunch of other things commonly associated with him didn't become a regular part of the legend until the late medieval to early modern period.

But if we're talking Sly Cooper, he's a modern robin hood so wouldn't just vanilla hero fit him better? Sly doesn't have a morally grey early mythology

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here