How is there no Outer Wilds thread here yet?

This is an absolute travesty and must be corrected!

*EDIT: To clear up any confusion about this. Outer Wilds was released on May 29, 2019 for the Xbox One and the Epic Games Store. It is a different game from Obsidian's upcoming RPG The Outer Worlds. It also bears little relation mechanically to No Man's Sky, despite my comparison below. It's not procedurally generated.

Outer Wilds is great! It's No Man's Sky meets Mario Galaxy on Groundhog's Day. Like remember in No Man's Sky how you can explore the entirety of a realistically proportioned planet that is so boring you've seen all it has to offer the second you land? Well Outer Wilds takes all the filler out so that you have all the excitement and wonder of space exploration with none of the tedious scale. You are a new astronaut setting out to explore the mysteries of your solar system and learn about an ancient precursor race that, luckily enough, communicated entirely by scribbling on walls. Every planet can be circumnavigated on foot in less than 10 minutes, that means that there's always something interesting to find wherever you go.

The game give you a huge amount of mobility thanks to a propulsion suit. You can accelerate in any direction as well as a limited vertical jet boost while in a planet's atmosphere. It just feels good to jump around on the lower gravity worlds, getting the timing down of when to apply thrusters so you don't break all your arms and legs when you land. There's something so satisfying about being able to jump off of a planet. The ship is pretty good too, but movement on foot is far more fun.

The central mysteries to the game are all very well implemented, and there's no artificial restrictions. The only thing that limits you is your own knowledge. You could beat the game within 20 minutes of starting it if you knew what to do. But to figure out what to do you need to piece together just what the heck the precursor race was doing before mysteriously dying off. It's all very intriguing and fits together perfectly in the end, and piecing it together without the game holding your hand and dragging you along is just such a satisfying experience. The aesthetics are gorgeous despite what these cruddy Google screenshots indicate. The tornadoes on the water planet make my stomach turn and there are so many great effects that the game uses.

It's not all great though. There are NPCs but there may as well not be. They don't do anything, say very little, and are on the whole disappointing. It also has kind of a slow first 15 minutes if you talk to all the boring villagers and do the little practice tasks scattered around.

Despite that, I still cannot recommend this game enough. The planets more than make up for the boring NPCs. This is the gold standard space exploration games need to live up to in the future. If you have any interest in space games you need to play this game. If you need more convincing take a look for yourself, here's Supergreatfriend demoing the game

Anyway, now that I'm done selling it has anybody else actually played this game? Thoughts? Don't forget to use [spoiler]spoiler tags[/spoiler].

I've heard it's pretty good and I picked it up on Sale at the EGS(which I know makes me terrible to some people). It's on my short list of games to play in the near future, probably after I finish Octopath Traveler.

I figured it was one of those games that wasn't really interesting to the few of us still on the escapist forums.

Also, I'd argue it's nothing like No Mans Sky due to the fact the planets are handcrafted instead of randomly generated. Not sure exactly what it would be like with the small scale planets but not NMS.

Dalisclock:
Also, I'd argue it's nothing like No Mans Sky due to the fact the planets are handcrafted instead of randomly generated. Not sure exactly what it would be like with the small scale planets but not NMS.

Fair point, fair point. But the unguided space exploration, hopping from planet to planet in your ship (which handles far better in OW) felt very similar to the spirit that No Man's Sky was trying to capture.

Probably because its not out yet and given the current gaming market, 90% of what we've seen are lies. Those photos look every bit as good as No Mans Skys random stills did. And that should tell you something.

Silentpony:
Probably because its not out yet and given the current gaming market, 90% of what we've seen are lies. Those photos look every bit as good as No Mans Skys random stills did. And that should tell you something.

It is fully out though, but it seems to be an Epic Games Store exclusive right now. It's a really solid Ground-hog day sorta-puzzle adventure game and has a ton of heart and unique mechanics to it. You really won't find another game like this.

Its only connection to "No Man's Sky" would be the fact that you fly in a space ship, similarities end there. Nothing is randomized, its a single-player game, and its focus is on figuring things out.

It hasn't released yet. Till it comes to steam or gog, its not really out yet.

Drathnoxis:
This is an absolute travesty and must be corrected!

Thread is created.

Travesty is corrected.

Close tread. :p

Relating some to No Man Sky makes me want to skip it

Looks really good, but it ain't on any platform I own yet. So am just dancing the 'avoid-the-spoilers-for-unspecified-time-slice' dance for now.

I keep getting this game confused with Obsidian's upcoming RPG Outter WORLDS and I hate it.

CritialGaming:
I keep getting this game confused with Obsidian's upcoming RPG Outter WORLDS and I hate it.

There's probably going to be the same kind of threads when that comes out:

-How come no one's talks about Obsidian new RPG????
-Well its only really releasing in 6 months!

Considering obsidian reputation, waiting a few months is probably not the worse idea for the bug to be cleared up a bit, my PoE game was ruined by a quest that couldn't proceed anymore and that was a couple of month after release.

Silentpony:

It's been out for a month or so at this point and most of the reviews(user and critcal) have been pretty good. It is fairly indie though so probably doesn't get nearly as much press.

I've heard it compared to Majoras Mask a lot for the overally groundhog day loop idea.

trunkage:
Relating some to No Man Sky makes me want to skip it

Don't. I only used No Man's Sky as an example because I couldn't think of any other free roaming space exploration game. There's no procedural generation.

Also, since playing it I've been wondering how much better No Man's Sky would have been if the planets were tiny and the randomization was turned way up. Seems like a really good idea to me.

Worgen:

So no console exclusives are ever 'out'?

Drathnoxis:

Worgen:

So no console exclusives are ever 'out'?

I was gonna ask the same question.

I'll probably never play BOTW(beyond the first 30 minutes on my Brother in Laws switch) because I don't see myself buying a switch anytime soon, but I wouldn't presume to say its not out.

I have never ever heard of this so thanks Drath. I've always been a big exploration fan its why I loved things like the Elder Scrolls and was so bitterly dissapointed with No Mans Sky.

When I saw this thread I thought you had mispelled Outer Worlds btw lol.

Oh, I heard about this on the PCGamer UK podcast just recently. I had no idea this game existed but those who have played it seem to be pretty excited about it. I was disappointed to see it's an Epic store exclusive. I'm thinking about picking it up on my xbox so I can play it on the couch with my girlfriend who is nuts for space stuff.

The one criticism I have seen is that the minimal direction (which is largely a good thing) can leave you feeling directionless or lost at times. Can anyone weigh in on that?

JUMBO PALACE:
Oh, I heard about this on the PCGamer UK podcast just recently. I had no idea this game existed but those who have played it seem to be pretty excited about it. I was disappointed to see it's an Epic store exclusive. I'm thinking about picking it up on my xbox so I can play it on the couch with my girlfriend who is nuts for space stuff.

The one criticism I have seen is that the minimal direction (which is largely a good thing) can leave you feeling directionless or lost at times. Can anyone weigh in on that?

I just started playing it this weekend. The opening basically lets you go through a series of tutorials before you get in your spaceship for the first time(without any time pressure) which do a fairly good job of illustrating the basic concepts and tools of the game while getting a feel for the home planet you start out on. After that you can pretty much skip right to the space exploration stuff on every loop afterwards. The fact that every planet in the system is both easy to find and quick to get to allows you to pretty much decide where you want to go and just go there, but once you gain access to your ship, the sandbox is open.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here