What are Gaming greatest trilogies?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hello friends,

In this thread we are discussing about what are best trilogies?

For me I can think of those 2

Max Payne and Metro Trilogies

Metro Trilogy ended this year on high note and its one of the most immersive series i have ever played. both atmospheric wise and story wise too. but yeah it has flaws just like every other games. first 2 Metro games have advantage over Exodus in a sense that they have better story and pacing while exodus has advantage that its longer and more open.

Max Payne Trilogy has ended 7 years ago but no other TPS game manage to make as great as Max payne series was. none. although Max payne 2 is worst in series easily. it was easily weakest point of series both in a term of story, in a term of longevity, was far too easy and less atmospheric. Original game is still a masterpiece, and so was third game which become rockstar best game ever made.

I cant think of any other gaming trilogies are as great as those 2. I think they both are best gaming trilogies.

what you think are best gaming trilogies? lets discuss

Halo 1-3. I thought ODST was a great side story with the original and best Firefight mode, and Reach was a very worthy prequel-stroke-standalone. The original three games (later referred to as the Flood Trilogy) really should have been the last we heard of Master Chief. There was very little need for 4 or 5 to exist. The fact that Halo Infinite (which they don't even have the conviction to call Halo 6, despite making it clear previously that 343i would be handling the next trilogy) is set to take things "back to basics" sounds unconvincing at this point. A trilogy spread across three hardware generations, have you ever heard anything so farcical and disjointed? So, um, yeah - the first three Halo games really SHOULD have just been a trilogy, plus a couple of interesting side-stories.

Splinter Cell 1-3. I really enjoyed these at the time of release - really quite narrative heavy for stealth/action games, they struck me as a solid gaming equivalent of exactly the kind of mainstream thriller stuff Tom Clancy was famous for in the world of literature. Again, "they" couldn't resist wringing more content out of the series including a soft reboot devoid of Michael Ironside.

Sonic 1-3&K. The series that defined my childhood. Sonic 4, which came years later, really didn't deserve the number four in its title - it didn't advance the story at all, and in fact was little more than a HD "greatest hits" collection of remixed levels, which is something that Sonic Mania went on to do with a lot more flair and success.

Streets of Rage 1-3. Like most people the second is my firm favourite - 1 is almost unfairly hard at times, and I only ever played 3 emulated and as part of retro collections.

MASS EFFECT TRILOGY THERE I SAID IT!!!

Now make a Remastered Trilogy like the Halo Master Chief Collection Bioware.

Dark Souls

Hands Down, no 3 consecutive games in a series will ever be this amazing again.

Sonic 1-3&Knuckles
Mega Man X 1-3
Silent Hill 1-3
Metroid Prime 1-3
Resident Evil 1-3
Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Mass Effect 1-3
Super Mario Bros 1-3
Dark Souls 1-3

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (haven't played Warrior Within but the other two are so good I had to)
Metroid Prime
Paper Mario
God of War
Ace Attorney
Donkey Kong Country

Chimpzy:

Metal Gear Solid 1-3

Its not a trilogy. MGS4 and 5 exist. and all 3 games are about different characters (solid snake, raider, big boss).

Bit of a cheat but the trilogy of PS1 Final Fantasy games. 3 very different JRPG's' that are still great to go back to and play today.

Crystal Dynamics first Tomb Raider reboot series: Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. These games seem to be forgotten about now due to the current series (which I also like) which is a shame cos these felt more like a next gen TR game then the newer ones which feel too Uncharted. Anniversary is probably the best of the bunch as it's a remake of the first, so it has the amazing levels and puzzles of TR1 but doesn't control like ass. I'd love Square to release this trilogy on a digital store, stick it on Switch.

WhiteFangofWhoa:
Metroid Prime

Ooh, good one! Forgot about those!

I'd add the Batman Arkham tril...yes, Origins doesn't count, even the developers and publishers agree!

The Spyro remastered trilogy is alright really, aside the annoyance of them only putting one game on the disc, fckin Activision.

Supergiant games; Bastion, Transistor and Pyre feel like they should be an unofficial trilogy, so those please!

B-Cell:

Chimpzy:

Metal Gear Solid 1-3

Its not a trilogy. MGS4 and 5 exist. and all 3 games are about different characters (solid snake, raider, big boss).

You asked, I answered as I saw fit. The first 3 MGS form a cohesive unit in terms of style, themes and gameplay, at least insofar that anything that Kojima does is cohesive. That counts as far as I'm concerned. You can be pedantic about it if you want, but I don't particularly care.

Ehh... Mario, Timesplitters, Burnout, Smash Bros, Battlefront would've had one too if Lucasarts didn't shit the bed there.

Can't think of any others. Probably the really long running series like Civilisation or Total War, but I've never played those...

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

You have various trilogies which have one game better than another or one game not that great but another being really good. Trails on the other hand is equally excellent throughout and has no game that feels like a let-down compared to the others. All 3 of them are also part of a single plot as well, chapters of a book, so it has the proper "trilogy" feel and doesn't do what other games do with time skips and various main plots.

It's all just one story told through 3 games.

(btw, I'd have included .hack//GU but they made a fourth one with the recent remake haha)

Realms of Arkania (for its time)
Mass Effect
Witcher

Chimpzy:

B-Cell:

Chimpzy:

Metal Gear Solid 1-3

You asked, I answered as I saw fit. The first 3 MGS form a cohesive unit in terms of style, themes and gameplay, at least insofar that anything that Kojima does is cohesive. That counts as far as I'm concerned. You can be pedantic about it if you want, but I don't particularly care.

Trilogy is series that ended in 3 games. otherwise i would have said early splinter cell trilogy which is full of masterpieces.

I already told you on Gamespot, Ghost.

Metroid Prime: While the last entry moved a little bit away from the amazing 'I am alone on a hostile world' feeling of the first two, this is still one of the best triologies. I am so beyond sad it doesnt seem to be coming to Switch ;_;

Borderlands: With 3 coming out, as long as it doesn't fuck it up with some kind of BS microtransactions or totally shit on the lore/characters...It's totally going to be one of the best. Seeing it evolve and grow while still keeping the fun abilities, lore and endless supplies of awesome zany guns has been amazing. IF 3 ends up being the last we see of it, I'll be a little sad, but everything I see makes me think it's going to truly be the swansong the series would deserve.

Mass effect: Disappointing final 15 minutes notwithstanding (The free patch at least gave it some decent closure. At least), it was a phenomenal series. I seriously enjoyed how it shaped my own Shepard. See, I was playing someone with a renagade backstory, who was doing everything he could to make up for the straight up butchering spree he conducted, and by the time of ME3, after Arrival had him wipe out a whole system 'for the greater good' I was playing him like a full on death seeker who was only held back from total breakdown by his relationship with Tali. Which synergized PERFECTLY with the Vanguard class I was playing. Everything just CLICKED with this character, and honestly, my hat is off to the writers (up until the ending of ME3). And even with that ending...At least I got beautiful closure to the Geth/Quarian arc. :)

That's all I got in mind at the moment, although there are probably others that I forgot on the spot.

Baldur's Gate, Bhaalspawn saga. Despite the upcoming game being called Baldur's Gate 3, it's not part of the "trilogy" which ended with the "Throne of Bhaal" expansion - and for an expansion was easily large enough to be considered a game on its own.

Witcher as well, the original floundered quite a bit, the second installment really got some traction and the third and final is still one of the best games ever made.

About the only trilogy I can recall enjoying was Streets of Rage.

Mass Effect (no, I don't count Andromeda)

Does Bioshock count?

The first three Silent Hills. Everything that came afterwards was hit and miss but 1 - 3 were all great. Practically the same goes for for Metal Gear Solid 1 - 3.

Samtemdo8:
MASS EFFECT TRILOGY THERE I SAID IT!!!

Now make a Remastered Trilogy like the Halo Master Chief Collection Bioware.

A few months ago I would have said this was impossible. EA had a drive to make every game use the Frostbite Engine and Bioware had a big hit in Anthem on the horizon.

Now they have Respawn Entertainment using the Source Engine for Apex Legends and Unreal 4 with Jedi Fallen Order. Anthem has proven to be somewhat underperforming.

The only thing standing in the way of a Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster would now seem to be Mass Effect 1. ME2 could be reasonably easily be brought into the same combat system as the third game with relatively minor tweaks, given the combat areas are corridors filled with chest high walls. With the first game though it isn't just porting the combat system over it would require remaking most of the game's levels.

ME1 has relatively few chest high walls and has a shield system that is actually effective against enemy fire. Imagine keeping the ME1 level layout of Virmire with the combat system of ME3.

Greatest trilogies? Okay. Admittedly I'm picking and choosing a bit here, but:

-Diablo trilogy (if we treat D1, D2, D3 as being in isolation)

-Halo trilogy

-Sonic the Hedgehog trilogy (STH1, 2, 3&K, or from a narrative standpoint, 2, 3, and S&K - take your pick)

-StarCraft II trilogy (granted, the overall main story is more like a quintet, but WoL, HotS, and LotV form a trilogy, so, it counts)

Plus the "Goodest"

-Advance Wars trilogy (Advance Wars, Advance Wars 2, Advance Wars: Dual Strike)

-Crash Bandicoot original trilogy

-Gears of War trilogy

-Resident Evil original trilogy (if we treat RE 1-3 as being a trilogy, and CV beginning the next arc)

-Warcraft RTS trilogy (though granted, you could consider WC1, 2, and BTDP as a trilogy, and WC3 as the start of a new arc)

And on other comments:

Batou667:
Halo 1-3. I thought ODST was a great side story with the original and best Firefight mode, and Reach was a very worthy prequel-stroke-standalone. The original three games (later referred to as the Flood Trilogy) really should have been the last we heard of Master Chief. There was very little need for 4 or 5 to exist. The fact that Halo Infinite (which they don't even have the conviction to call Halo 6, despite making it clear previously that 343i would be handling the next trilogy) is set to take things "back to basics" sounds unconvincing at this point. A trilogy spread across three hardware generations, have you ever heard anything so farcical and disjointed? So, um, yeah - the first three Halo games really SHOULD have just been a trilogy, plus a couple of interesting side-stories.

Source on "Flood Trilogy" needed, because that's the first time I've heard the term used.

That aside, I see Halo 1-3 as a trilogy, with H3 ending the trilogy, and Reach being a series ender. Of course, Halo 4 threw that idea out the window, but in isolation, the first trilogy is extremely solid. And yes, I do agree that John's fate should have been left ambiguous after H3, not brought back for H4.

Chimpzy:

Metal Gear Solid 1-3

Yeah, gonna throw my hat in and say that I'm not sure how MGS 1-3 can be construed as a trilogy. Separating MGS from the first two Metal Gear games? Sure. But narratively or mechanically, not sure how MGS 1-3 can be a trilogy in isolation.

Thief 1-3: Yeah, i'm counting Deadly Shadows as the good one.

Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas of course :) - Okay, so putting my reluctance towards Bethesda aside: Yes you can replace NV with 3, it's a good game. BUT the latter feels more like a direct sequel due to couple of reasons, and there's an argument to be made that it's the final game to the "original" Fallouts, as much as 3 is the opening of the new, East Coast chapter of the franchise.

Chimpzy:

Silent Hill 1-3

Ditto.

Squilookle:
Battlefront would've had one too if Lucasarts didn't shit the bed there.

Speaking of Lucas Arts: Monkey Island.

I'm surprised no one included S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in their post. Not even B-Cell himself?!
Was Clear Sky really that bad?

Alright, you've guys have already picked some good ones. I will add that I never liked Fallout 2, so I'd change that to F1, F3 and NV.

As for new entries: Red Alert, some range of Elder Scrolls (probably Daggerfall, Morrowind Skyrim. Although Skyrim has a huge time distance between the rest of the series), Doom (3 being the weakest but the first 2 ate are fantastic), Far Cry 2 - 4 and maybe Crysis (the first was incredible but the took a strange left turn later on)

I feel like most of these are kind of a stretch as to what 'trilogy' means. Super Mario Bros. 1-3? Yeah there are 3 numbered titles in a row, but each game has no continuity to the others and is just as connected to the next 20+ games in the series as the other games in the 'trilogy'.

I can't really think of one I would nominate, to be honest. 3 consecutive games in a series all deserving of being called 'greatest' is a big ask. I feel like a trilogy is more of a movie thing. 2-3 hours can be kind of restrictive for telling a story so it's easy to plan for a little expansion. Also you can bang out the entire trilogy in a couple of years and keep most of the same team working on it. Books work for trilogies too. One author can stay focused on the project and write 3 books in under 5 years. Video games, on the other hand, are long. If you can't tell a complete story in 20-40 hours then you will never be able to accomplish that task regardless of how much time you are given. Video games also take a long time to develop with 3-5 years of development per game you are looking at 9-15 years for the completion of a trilogy. With the turnover rate of working in the games industry you are lucky if anybody who worked on the first installment is still working on the third let alone if they even remember what they were thinking about when making it. None of that is conducive to creating a quality interconnected narrative experience.

Sequels are mostly trash, in general, and video game sequels more so. To make it through 3 games and for them to be connected enough to be labeled a trilogy and have them all be exceptional is something I don't think I've seen as of yet.

jademunky:
Dark Souls

Seconded. Or capture the imagination quite as much.

The Sly Cooper trilogy. It's almost like three satisfying seasons of your favourite Saturday morning cartoon show wrapping up in the most satisfying manner possible. We just have to ignore the fourth game that wasn't made by Sucker Punch.

MrCalavera:

I'm surprised no one included S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in their post. Not even B-Cell himself?!

Hardly a trilogy. one main game followed by 2 stand alone Expansions. and yes clear sky was pretty bad.

Dark Souls, or maybe Silent Hill 1-3.

The Arkham series would be close if Knight hadn't let it down a bit.

stroopwafel:

jademunky:
Dark Souls

Seconded. Or capture the imagination quite as much.

I've never felt compelled to look up lore videos for a video game I completed multiple times before or since.

Well, except Bloodborne. Also Sekiro.

Metroid Prime.
Pikmin.

Smithnikov:
About the only trilogy I can recall enjoying was Streets of Rage.

That is on my list! High five!

Sonic 1-3&K

Crash Trilogy

Need for Spreed I-III

Need for Speed Underground 1-2 & Most Wanted (2005) - The main character is implied to be the same protagonist from the Underground series and Most Wanted takes place after U2.

Spyro Trilogy - Though I never caught on to it.

Resident Evil 1-3 (PSX Trilogy)

Wario Land 1-3 - Though I never cared much for 2 & 3. 4 I always found better than those sequels.

Sengoku Basara and it's various updated re-releases.

Serious Sam - The First Encounter, Second Encounter, and Serious Sam II. BFE felt generic and not that fun to play after the first run.

Doom - This varies from person to person. Doom, Doom II, and Doom 3. Doom, Doom II, and Doom 64. Or Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom. Me personally, I prefer the 1st option.

Silent Hill 1-3.

Streets of Rage 1-3

Street Fighter - Discount the first game, because it is ass. The trilogy I am referring to is II, III, & IV.

Street Fighter Alpha Series - Do note that the 1st Alpha game is so obsolete now even though it's good quality.

God of War Trilogy - Game play only as the story got really shitty and Kratos became in hateful II & III. God of War 4 fixed that problem.

Bayonetta 1-3 - Shut up! I know 3 ain't out yet, but I am making it count.

Devil May Cry 1, 3, & 4 - There is no 2, and the reboot does not count. 5 has the best gameplay now. So if it were to be revised, the trilogy in this case would be 3, 4, and 5.

Ghosts N Goblins - The trilogy in this case is the two arcade games and SNES sequel. Hard to fucking beat!

Burnout 3, Revenge, and Paradise - The first two games were just simple arcade racers without that much to standout.

House of the Dead 1-3

Time Crisis 1-3

Virtua Cop 1-3

Uncharted Trilogy - I like 4, but it felt like a fanfic with Nate's brother story wise. I put this on the list, and I am not even a hardcore fan.

Tekken 1-3

Donkey Kong Country SNES - 3 is the weakest of the trilogy.

Kirby's Dreamland 1-3

Marvel vs. Capcom 1-3 - We do not talk about infinite.

Ooh goody, I get to ruin somebody's day by nitpicking!

CoCage:

Doom - This varies from person to person. Doom, Doom II, and Doom 3. Doom, Doom II, and Doom 64. Or Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom. Me personally, I prefer the 1st option.

Nominating any kind of "Doom trilogy" is contingent on being highly selective.

Doom 1-3? Doesn't quite work, because 3's segregated from its predecessors mechanically and narratively. Maybe something like Doom 1-2-X, but what is "X," in this case? I guess arguably Doom 64 in that it provides a definitive ending of sorts for Doomguy (least until Doom 2016), but if one stopped at Final Doom, how much "narrative" would you lose? It would still be a trilogy regardless.

House of the Dead 1-3

Um, maybe...I guess you could simply play 1-3 and leave it at that, but...

Time Crisis 1-3

Really not sure how this works. The Time Crisis games barely share continuity with each other - the only thing that unites them is Wild Dog (to the point where it's just tired now), and the occasional appearance from Richard Miller or other legacy characters. But there's not really anything linking TC 1-3 as opposed to TC 1-4 or whatnot.

Chimpzy:

B-Cell:

Chimpzy:

Metal Gear Solid 1-3

Interestingly, you could classify MGS3, Peace Walker and MGSV as the "Big Boss" prequel Trilogy, though to make it contiguous you'd have ignore MGS4. And there's the issue that MGSV has some serious flaws.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here