What are Gaming greatest trilogies?

Pages PREV 1 2

Dalisclock:

Interestingly, you could classify MGS3, Peace Walker and MGSV as the "Big Boss" prequel Trilogy, though to make it contiguous you'd have ignore MGS4. And there's the issue that MGSV has some serious flaws.

Portable Ops: "Am I a joke to you?!"

Well, given its iffy status in the canon, maybe?

Hawki:

Dalisclock:

Interestingly, you could classify MGS3, Peace Walker and MGSV as the "Big Boss" prequel Trilogy, though to make it contiguous you'd have ignore MGS4. And there's the issue that MGSV has some serious flaws.

Portable Ops: "Am I a joke to you?!"

Well, given its iffy status in the canon, maybe?

Portable Ops apparently isn't canon, or if it is, only in the very broadest strokes. I believe there's somewhere that Kojima outright says this because he wasn't involved.

However, the fact none of the games released after it bother to reference it save for a single line in the beginning of Peace Walker, while Peace Walker is referenced extensively in MGSV, kinda says it all. Ground Zeros almost requires you have some idea what happened in Peace Walker to really get understand it and it's hard to care about why Snake is infiltrating NOT-GUANTANAMO if without knowing who Chico and Paz are. Though if you did play PW, you still may not care about Chico and Paz(especially if you got to the True End where it's revealed Paz was a spy who tried to kill Big Boss). It does put Millers whining at the end of GZ in perspective though(Gee Miller, who was in bed with Cipher the whole time during Peace Walker and never told Snake until the end? That's right, it was you).

Ultima the Avatar Trilogy (4-6, and don't start quibbling that, because it has basically nothing in common with 1-3)

Warcraft 1-3

I actually have a hard time coming up with others. There seems to quite the trend of either having the obligatory underwhelming or horrible misstep ending, or the wobbly as hell middle episode.

I'd be willing to throw in Quest for Glory, though I'd include 4 which kind of makes it a different beast.

Y'all are crazy on the Dark Souls, even putting aside my less impressed assessment of them on the whole. 2 has literally nothing to do with 1 and 3, and even 3 is more of a soft reboot then a sequel proper.

Hawki:
Ooh goody, I get to ruin somebody's day by nitpicking!

CoCage:

Doom - This varies from person to person. Doom, Doom II, and Doom 3. Doom, Doom II, and Doom 64. Or Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom. Me personally, I prefer the 1st option.

Nominating any kind of "Doom trilogy" is contingent on being highly selective.

Doom 1-3? Doesn't quite work, because 3's segregated from its predecessors mechanically and narratively. Maybe something like Doom 1-2-X, but what is "X," in this case? I guess arguably Doom 64 in that it provides a definitive ending of sorts for Doomguy (least until Doom 2016), but if one stopped at Final Doom, how much "narrative" would you lose? It would still be a trilogy regardless.

House of the Dead 1-3

Um, maybe...I guess you could simply play 1-3 and leave it at that, but...

Time Crisis 1-3

Really not sure how this works. The Time Crisis games barely share continuity with each other - the only thing that unites them is Wild Dog (to the point where it's just tired now), and the occasional appearance from Richard Miller or other legacy characters. But there's not really anything linking TC 1-3 as opposed to TC 1-4 or whatnot.

For Doom, that's why I said it varies. Every person I ever talked too chose Doom 3 or Doom 64 95% of the time to be part of their trilogy.

Do not misunderstand. I love the House of the Dead series. 4 is my favorite and I have to find my nearest Dave and Busters to play 5. I just meant in terms of best trilogy during the the time period. All three games are still fun to play and improved in gameplay, graphics, and voice acting (in 3 only, but 4 has the best voice acting).

Time Crisis does have continuity in the form of Wild Dog as he ages in each game. In fact, 5 has the two heroes from TC2 in it the game. One as a hero and the other as a villain.

But my rain reason for linking the TC trilogy is mainly in gameplay and graphics (especially when playing the PS2 ports of 2 & 3 that added so much content and bonus extras). TC4 is a good game, but it felt more like an HD version of 3, and 5 I found somewhat underwhelming. The plot twist being the exception.

You did not ruin my day by nitpicking.

Sly Cooper trilogy. Fun engaging Platformers with a deep and meaningful story. It's a shame that they never made a fourth one...

CoCage:

You did not ruin my day by nitpicking.

Damn. I'll have to try harder next time. :P

I've only played one trilogy in gaming, so by default that's my answer(although I like them a great deal):

Ace Attorney.

For me it's easily Halo 1, 2 and 3. Those were the days, just playing team slayer over and over with my friends. Multiplayers never been that good for me since.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here