Good news for B-Cell: System Shock 2 is getting an Enhanced Edition

Hello friends-

Dunno about you guys, but I think B-Cell might be a bit excited about the latest news that's going around:

Ha...I half thought it was going to be a Deus Ex original remake.

From the article,
It will include a number of improvements, and they're paying particular attention to the co-op multiplayer

Hmm, not sure if that's really an improvement, or why they're paying particular attention to it over the rest of the game people must have wanted, but oh well.

hanselthecaretaker:

From the article,
It will include a number of improvements, and they're paying particular attention to the co-op multiplayer

I can't tell if this could tamper B-Cell's excitement or not.

How would that excite bcell? It's not doom crossed over with wolfenstein 1.

A better title: 'System Shock 2 is getting an Enhanced Edition'.

I realize this topic is not meant to be hostile to B-Cell, but still, it feels unnecessarily targeted cause now the topic is about B-Cell rather than ya know, System Shock 2 EE.

System Shock is just Bioshock but worse right?

Silentpony:

Apples and oranges frankly.

I'll keep an eye on this. Maybe I won't get stuck trying to clear out the air vents this time.

erttheking:

Silentpony:

I?ll keep an eye on this. Maybe I won?t get stuck trying to clear out the air vents this time.

Is it apples and oranges? I always heard they were basically the same game, just Bioshock is modernized.

Silentpony:

erttheking:

Silentpony:

I?ll keep an eye on this. Maybe I won?t get stuck trying to clear out the air vents this time.

Is it apples and oranges? I always heard they were basically the same game, just Bioshock is modernized.

I would say the new Prey is closer to System Shock then Bioshock was. Bioshock certainly had elements similar to System Shock but they were rather different beasts.

I could have sworn there were already mods that enhanced the game already.

Marik2:

There was the infamous 'sexy cyborg midwife mod', because the horrifically tortured and mangled corpses of women hybridized with cybernetics that were the lone identifiably female enemy HAD to be made sexy.

In all seriousness, loved system shock 2. The atmosphere, the gameplay, the story, shodan (plus the original system shock was relatively playable at the time and really sucked me in and I wanted more).

(and on a strictly personal sense, the gender of the MC was referred to so little I could at least pretend I was playing as a woman, till the ending).

Genuinely looking forward to his. Hopeful the enemy and npc models can get an overhaul.

Worgen:

Silentpony:

erttheking:

I would say the new Prey is closer to System Shock then Bioshock was. Bioshock certainly had elements similar to System Shock but they were rather different beasts.

Both have a rather similar plot twist though, which is why if you'd played System Shock 2 prior to Bioshock, the Atlas reveal probably wasn't a shock.

Silentpony:

I replayed it a couple of years ago. It's dramatically worse that Bioshock 1, even for the age gap. You have to choose either tech, psi or weapons and can't really do hybrid builds. But then Bioshock doesn't have a tech or weapon tree so... clearly its 'dumbed down'.

Marik2:

They did a System Shock 1 Enhanced officially. I've never modded SS2 so I can't tell you about that

Also, this needed to start with: Hello friends

Can someone tell me about b cell? Does the guy only really only like big macho games with guns?

Silentpony:

System Shock 2's twist felt better pulled off AFTER i knew the twist, and playing Bioshock first. So i have to disagree here.

Saelune:

I realize this topic is not meant to be hostile to B-Cell, but still, it feels unnecessarily targeted cause now the topic is about B-Cell rather than ya know, System Shock 2 EE.

trunkage:
Also, this needed to start with: Hello friends

Good points, well made. Topic adjusted accordingly

Saelune:

Yeah, it's a call out thread against b cell.

MrCalavera:

Silentpony:

System Shock 2's twist felt better pulled off AFTER i knew the twist, and playing Bioshock first. So i have to disagree here.

Wait, what? After the first level Shodan's voice was becoming more electronic. She was already very menacing. I felt like they played their hand too much. Note this is feelings that are over 15 years old but I only played it again a couple of years ago and it was very prominent.

Marik2:
Can someone tell me about b cell? Does the guy only really only like big macho games with guns?

Pretty much, yeah.

Every game he's said he likes, which is about two dozen in total, is a 1st or 3rd shooter of some kind. But only singleplayer ones. I don't think I've ever seen him say anything genuinely positive about any other genre, or any game with a female protagonist, with the sole exception of Portal 2.

Some people take umbrage with his threads because they basically boil down to "Game X I like is the best ever" and seems just excuses to talk about the same handful of games he likes again. He claims to want discussion, but tends to come off as looking for validation for his opinions rather than to engage in any meaningful argument. And then there's the suspicions/accusations of being misogynist and lying about having played certain games.

There you go, quick B-Cell primer.

Do we really need to create threads calling B-cell out? I dunno like reply to his actual comments all you want but this feels weird to me.

This is not a 'call out' thread. It's pretty much the opposite. It's no secret that B-Cell loves System Shock to bits- so news that it's being remastered is news right up his alley. Hence him being named in relation to the news.

Definitely looking forward to play it again. its one of the greatest game ever made but it might be just bit of enhancement and not proper remastered. SS remake and SS3 should be release out soon I hope.

although someone please should make Original Deus Ex remake..

Silentpony:

Bioshock was casual System shock. or rather it was simple shock.

B-Cell:
Definitely looking forward to play it again. its one of the greatest game ever made but it might be just bit of enhancement and not proper remastered.

Fyi, 4A Games is also working on another Metro game.

Chimpzy:

B-Cell:
Definitely looking forward to play it again. its one of the greatest game ever made but it might be just bit of enhancement and not proper remastered.

Fyi, 4A Games is also working on another Metro game.

Yeah I heard. another great news.

Silentpony:

Meh, the controls for SS2 were bad and the game was not properly playtested. Teenage me had to play through twice because at the 2/3 mark, the build I had was unable to advance any further because the game did not tell you that you NEEDED a certain skill (hacking or lockpicking I think) to be at a certain level to advance.

Deus Ex just did it so much better but something about System Shock and the way it handled horror. The way those creepy flesh monsters would mumble things like "Silence the discord...." in that metallic rasp while right behind you....

B-Cell:

Silentpony:

Bioshock was casual System shock. or rather it was simple shock.

It was streamlined to make it function better. As opposed to Bioshock Infinite streamlining that didn't help gameplay at all

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here