2019 State of Play

Pages 1 2 NEXT

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FekB7shVUC8

I haven't watched it much yet but Death Stranding and TLoU2 are in there along some newly revealed stuff.

Welp, nothing on the PS5 :P

So probably E3 2020 and a release date in either December 2020 or sometime 2021.

Am I the only person who's lost their interest in TLoU2? That trailer just felt like another revenge movie where the bad guys kill (daughter, girlfriend, wife, mother, etc etc) and the hero goes on a murder spree.

It's become a huge MEH for me. I mean the gameplay will probably still be really great. But I dunno I just feel removed from the story now.

CritialGaming:
That trailer just felt like another revenge movie where the bad guys kill (daughter, girlfriend, wife, mother, etc etc) and the hero goes on a murder spree.

Samtemdo8:

CritialGaming:
That trailer just felt like another revenge movie where the bad guys kill (daughter, girlfriend, wife, mother, etc etc) and the hero goes on a murder spree.

Why did you spoiler tag something that is in the trailer for the game? Can you spoil a trailer? Are we worried about trailer spoiling now?

CritialGaming:

Samtemdo8:

CritialGaming:

Why did you spoiler tag something that is in the trailer for the game? Can you spoil a trailer? Are we worried about trailer spoiling now?

Just for the people who refuses to watch the trailer to avoid any sort of spoilers.

CritialGaming:
Am I the only person who's lost their interest in TLoU2? That trailer just felt like another revenge movie where the bad guys kill (daughter, girlfriend, wife, mother, etc etc) and the hero goes on a murder spree.

It's become a huge MEH for me. I mean the gameplay will probably still be really great. But I dunno I just feel removed from the story now.

I haven't lost interest, but yeah, it feels incredibly typical. My hope is that what we're seeing is either a red herring, or a lead-in to something more interesting. I also try to remind myself that the first game was pretty typical too, what with old man who lost his daughter but learns to love again due to precocious youth. With Naughty Dog it's usually not what they say, it's how they say it.

This needs to follow up on the ending of the first game and what Joel did, and I'll be horribly disappointed if they just ignore that in favour of 'Ellie wants revenge, Ellie gets revenge, the end'. I also feel it would've been really pointless for Naughty Dog to have put so much emphasis on this Dina character and the actress who plays her if she just functions as a character who gets fridged, so to speak, in the first hour.

Maybe this whole revenge plot is meant to get Ellie out of the compound, at which point Tommy finds out exactly what transpired between Joel and the fireflies/Marlene, Joel flees or is run out of town, prompting him to track down Ellie to keep her away from Tommy or anyone else who knows the truth. And then the drama can just flow from there. And not that Naughty Dog are totally original writers or anything, but if the plot of this game is simply 'Dina dies, Ellie goes on revenge quest' then that would be the most generic plot of any of their games. And it's not like this game will be the movie Mandy or anything.

In summation: I hope there's more than meets the eye here.

CritialGaming:

Yeah, I watched the trailer in the hope that it sparked any sort of interest in the game and it looks like another joyless misery-fest like the first game so my enthusiasm for this game is at zero. Mind you, after I replayed the first game last year, it wasn't very high to begin with. Though, I did do a little yay for Joel when he turned up. And at this point there has been so much discussion as to whether he is now her imaginary friend, I think it would be more surprising if he is actually alive now.

So yeah, meh. I'm sure curiosity will get the best of me at some point and I'll borrow a copy from my friend who is sure to buy it and I might even enjoy it. But I'm not rushing to get it at launch.

Catfood220:
Though, I did do a little yay for Joel when he turned up. And at this point there has been so much discussion as to whether he is now her imaginary friend, I think it would be more surprising if he is actually alive now.

That's because the fanbase seems addicted to shallow speculation, like tripping over themselves arguing that buff lady from the second trailer is Ellie's mom. All if it along with Joel being dead simply coming down to 'Wouldn't it be cool if...'

CritialGaming:

Don't know about you, but I picked up on the revenge bit from the first trailer back in 2016, so I'm not now suddenly not interested in the game 🤷‍♂️

Even with knowing that Ellie is out for revenge in the game, I still want to know why, and how her journey will change along the way.

bluegate:

CritialGaming:

Don't know about you, but I picked up on the revenge bit from the first trailer back in 2016, so I'm not now suddenly not interested in the game 🤷‍♂️

Even with knowing that Ellie is out for revenge in the game, I still want to know why, and how her journey will change along the way.

I didn't watch the first trailer. This game was only very very passingly on my radar. I knew it was coming and this state of play was the first time i actually sat through a trailer, mostly because I was hoping for more FF7 news.

A hands on impression of TLoU2

So basically it's the other side of the coin of the original (hate fueled instead of love). I wonder if they'll end it with you beating the main antagonist to within an inch of life and then leaving you to decide whether to show mercy or complete your vengeance. In any case, I'm sure the journey there will be full of insane production values and contain more open ended gameplay areas like UC4.

Also it's been confirmed it won't have MP, so that might help their focus.

CritialGaming:
Am I the only person who's lost their interest in TLoU2?

i was never interested in it. :3

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

Well it isn't Nintendo so...I think we all assumed. :)

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

I only play it for the GRAFIX.

Is Ghost of Tsushima ever gonna come out or what? If it got delayed for the PS5, okay. I really don't think it should be the PS4's swan song though.

The Last of Us 2 looks alright. It's not a full-dollar purchase from me, but I'll pick it up at some point. Just like the first one.

CritialGaming:

don't ask questions you already know the answer to then. :3

Elfgore:
Is Ghost of Tsushima ever gonna come out or what? If it got delayed for the PS5, okay. I really don't think it should be the PS4's swan song though.

The Last of Us 2 looks alright. It's not a full-dollar purchase from me, but I'll pick it up at some point. Just like the first one.

Damn straight. Where is Ghost of Tsushima? LoUS II looks great, but I have interests.

These are only games I'm interested in for now:

Doom Eternal
River City Girls
Streets of Rage 4
Gungrave GORE
Onechanbara Origins

Elfgore:

I'm expecting that to be one of those September releases like Uncharted: Lost Legacy and Spider-Man. Sony tends to release their games in that time frame: Their super big dogs at around March/April, and their slightly lesser big dogs at around September.

hanselthecaretaker:
Also it?s been confirmed it won?t have MP, so that might help their focus.

What a difference from last generation, when nearly every Sony exclussive had a pointless multiplayer forced in, even freaking God of War. Now, I think only the Uncharted games have had one.

Casual Shinji:

Elfgore:

I'm expecting that to be one of those September releases like Uncharted: Lost Legacy and Spider-Man. Sony tends to release their games in that time frame: Their super big dogs at around March/April, and their slightly lesser big dogs at around September.

hanselthecaretaker:
Also it?s been confirmed it won?t have MP, so that might help their focus.

What a difference from last generation, when nearly every Sony exclussive had a pointless multiplayer forced in, even freaking God of War. Now, I think only the Uncharted games have had one.

When most of the games' multiplayer were mediocre, it's better to spend resources on making sure the single-player is great. Instead of another thrown in mp for the sake of it. The only ps3 exclusives that had good mps or had a long staying power were Uncharted 2, and Killzone 2 to my knowledge. KZ3 I don't know, and UC3's mp was not as good as 2's. After Ascension, Sony finally realized shoe-horned multiplayer is not the answer to everything. A major problem from many a publisher and developer from last generation.

Casual Shinji:

Elfgore:

Do they? Spider-Man was pretty much a guaranteed hit and Days Gone seemed much more risky of a release.

Elfgore:

Casual Shinji:

Elfgore:

Do they? Spider-Man was pretty much a guaranteed hit and Days Gone seemed much more risky of a release.

Well, I 'm not claiming they're fortune tellers. Also, Days Gone was the only substaintial first/second-party game Sony had this year, so I guess in that case it didn't really matter. And we can look at Spider-Man as a hit in hindsight, but that franchise doesn't exactly have the best track record in games and Insomniac had never really tackled a game like this. It made sense that Sony reserved that Spring for the return of their biggest mascote.

Man, these Direct ripoffs continue to be AWFUL. Sony really don't get why Nintendo does so well with them

Aiddon:
Man, these Direct ripoffs continue to be AWFUL. Sony really don't get why Nintendo does so well with them

Nintendo actually has games. :3

Yoshi178:

Aiddon:

Okay, is anyone else sick and tired of the Sony/Nintendo has no games agreement? Cuz it's bullshit either way in these current consoles. If we're talking third party exclusives (that aren't timed), both have a huge amount. If it's first party titles, then Nintendo edges out in this area, but Sony is no slouch either. Most of the either manufactures 1st party stuff holds no interests to me, but I won't deny the success the games' have made. Nintendo has your typical round of Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing. There are other exclusives too, but most are ports of games that are from the Wii U. But that highly worked in the Switch's favor. The PS4 had its moments of porting many stuff from last gen too.

The only one to suffer from having "no games" syndrome is really Microsoft. Most of their 1st party line-up is let's act like it is the 360 era all over again. Gears 5 and Halo 5 are just an upgraded 360 game and a shitty sequel that should have ended in a trilogy respectively. Quantum Break had good ideas, but horrible execution limited by crappy live-action sub-par Bourne inspired action scenes. Recore sucked and was forgotten about, Ryse was an average hack n slash, Sunset Overdrive is no longer an exclusive since Sony bought Insomniac, and Microsoft cancelled unqiue third party games like Scalebound, because they wanted shore-horned multiplayer in everything.

Dunkey said it best: Fall of Xbox

And here is a timestop at 5:43 of what Sony does have (and that is not everything)Fall of Xbox (End Video)

CoCage:

Yoshi178:

Aiddon:

Okay, is anyone else sick and tired of the Sony/Nintendo has no games agreement?

As in tired of fanboys? Sure.

Night School looks cool and Civ6 coming to PS4 is nice. I'm pretty interested in Death Stranding as it looks to be AAA game with combat that's not the main form of gameplay, we need loads more of those. Plus, it's Hideo Kojima, even if it's worst case scenario, it'll still probably be damn entertaining watching that train wreck.

Yoshi178:

Aiddon:

Isn't like half the hype of Nintendo directs new Smash characters?

PS4 has games...

Yoshi178:

It's more than that; putting aside Sony's actual library (though when it comes to 1st party they are pretty lacking) their State of Play videos are this hollow facsimile of the Directs due to not understanding the nuance. The SoP's are always awkwardly paced, not giving anything room to breathe, like they're just rapidly firing off a checklist to get it over with.

The biggest, however, is the human element. The Directs always do a great job at making the viewer aware of the people working at Nintendo whether it was Reggie, Iwata, Bill Trinen, or the members of the Treehouse. It helped create an intimacy with the audience that the SoP just refuses to replicate. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised considering for years Sony thought Jack Tretton was an appropriate mouthpiece for SCEA despite him being a whiny jackass who couldn't go five seconds without putting his foot in his mouth.

And ultimately, I would say that's the thing Sony doesn't understand. If you're going to do a Direct ripoff, at least get the most important thing down. The Directs were made not as a way to just throw out a bunch of announcements, but to connect with the audience directly. It's why they're called "DIRECTS" and if Sony cannot understand that these States of Play will never be anything other than awkward

Phoenixmgs:
Isn't like half the hype of Nintendo directs new Smash characters?

If there's one thing I'm continiously baffled by...

Why are people even responding to Yoshi? 🤷‍♂️

In non-Nintendo topics you can count on half of its posts to be borderline trolling and the other half to be circle-jerk talking with other members of the Nintendo faithful club, which in recent years seems to consist of only Aiddon and Yoshi.

bluegate:

In non-Nintendo topics you can count on half of its posts to be borderline trolling and the other half to be circle-jerk talking with other members of the Nintendo faithful club, which in recent years seems to consist of only Aiddon and Yoshi.

Probably the same reason why people reply to B-Cell. We know it's pointless but somewhere deep down we hope we can change him. Like a girlfriend trying to get her skateboarding boyfriend to just get a normal job. Or at least off the crack.

I was very surprised by Joel from The Last of Us, returning in some shape or form in The Last of Us 2.

CritialGaming:

bluegate:

Probably the same reason why people reply to B-Cell. We know it's pointless but somewhere deep down we hope we can change him. Like a girlfriend trying to get her skateboarding boyfriend to just get a normal job. Or at least off the crack.

Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no, no. I don't fool myself i alone can change B-Cell. I do find some of his posts amusing enough though, that i wan't to understand.

Johnny Novgorod:

CoCage:

Yoshi178:

Okay, is anyone else sick and tired of the Sony/Nintendo has no games agreement?

As in tired of fanboys? Sure.

Despite living in late stage capitalism apparently, some people still need to be reminded: Brand. Is not. Your friend.

...or maybe that's why? Hmm.

MrCalavera:

Despite living in late stage capitalism apparently, some people still need to be reminded: Brand. Is not. Your friend.

Ugh, calling someone a "fanboy" is a gaming insult used by joyless twits obsessed with looking "objective." So what if someone is a "fan' of something, what business is it of anyone's? If people are so insecure over others enjoying themselves that's a problem with THEM, not the "fanboys" they stamp their feet over.

Aiddon:

MrCalavera:

Ugh, calling someone a "fanboy" is a gaming insult used by joyless twits obsessed with looking "objective." So what if someone is a "fan' of something, what business is it of anyone's? If people are so insecure over others enjoying themselves that's a problem with THEM, not the "fanboys" they stamp their feet over.

Yeah, except you and especially Yoshi don't really keep it to yourselves do you. With you it isn't just 'I really like Nintendo', it's 'Nintendo is the best and everyone else is pathetic'. So don't get suprised when that grates on people. Yoshi came in here just to shit-talk cuz '*yuk yuk* Sony is dumb compared to Nintendo'. And that's his right, but getting mad over the image that creates amongst others is a little silly.

Aiddon:

MrCalavera:

So is it "fan" or " fanboy"?
One is someone being attached to a thing, hobby, product etc.,
The other is being waaaay too attached to it, bent on showing how superior it is, being generally obnoxious about it.
And no, it's not a big deal(corporate narrative aside), but if someone decides to gush about it on social media, they agree to open themselves to criticism.

And it's not a phenomenon limited to gamers(obviously very affected by it) either. Or did you miss Marvel and DC fanboys(or fangirls, or nice gender neutral "stans") yucking it up for the last decade?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here