Do we need sequel to Call of juarez Gunslinger?

Hello friends,

So This game was released in 2013. long ago and it become the best wild west game ever made (sorry RDR). the reason it being because its incredibly fun, its gunplay is almost FEAR and Doom tier. its story is amazing and lot like Max payne as it has comic book style cutscene and main character silas greeves is so badass. its Max payne equivalent of western FPS.

Before Gunslinger, COJ games were not good. original was mediocre, bound in blood was kinda bland but ok and cartel was worst of all. It was out of nowhere and become great.

so i have been thinking that where is the sequel? why did techland made shitty Dying light instead of its sequel. although Dying light 2 looks great but i really hope they will make a sequel to this. the only problem with this game was its too short but it was not full price game. if sequel use bigger budget and being more longer with linear but somewhat open design then it will become masterpiece.

so my friends, do we need sequel to best western game ever made? lets discuss.

No body needs any game.

Need? No, but I wouldn't mind another game like Gunslinger.

Not really. I wouldn't mind seeing more western games, but we need new IP's rather than just a couple of franchises. Or do something like re-ignite an older title like Lucasarts' Outlaws or Sunstriders. And maybe as something other than a shooter. Western would be good as something more RPG like or an iso style like the indie title Hard West.

Someone already brought it up, but yea, give me a better polished Hard West instead. Hell, if it was done right, I'd be jazzed for an official Deadlands game in that vein.

The only thing I remember about this forgettable game is the EC episode about it lol.

Yes, but without cell-shading. As much as I adore Gunslinger, I'd adore it even more with more realistic aesthetics.

Adam Jensen:
Yes, but without cell-shading. As much as I adore Gunslinger, I'd adore it even more with more realistic aesthetics.

Apparently its only game where i dont mind cell shading. its not too cartoonish but give unique art style. Gunslinger was nice change of pace from previous 2 (rather 3) bland and mediocre ones.

B-Cell:
Apparently its only game where i dont mind cell shading. its not too cartoonish but give unique art style.

It wasn't a bad art style, I just prefer more realistic graphics in a western. Bound in Blood had really great looking gun models, cool explosions and pretty incredible particle effects for the time when it was released. Gunslinger could have benefited a lot from a similar art style.

Adam Jensen:

B-Cell:
Apparently its only game where i dont mind cell shading. its not too cartoonish but give unique art style.

It wasn't a bad art style, I just prefer more realistic graphics in a western. Bound in Blood had really great looking gun models, cool explosions and pretty incredible particle effects for the time when it was released. Gunslinger could have benefited a lot from a similar art style.

Bound in blood looks incredibly dated now yet gunslinger still looks fantastic.

B-Cell:
Bound in blood looks incredibly dated now yet gunslinger still looks fantastic.

Congratulations on missing the fuckin' point again.

Honestly I'd much rather have a sequel to Gun- at least that makes the Wild West look fun to be in...

0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJO6zKGwxHo

Either that or a sequel to Outlaws, but I doubt Lucasarts has even half the talent to pull that off again...

Squilookle:
Either that or a sequel to Outlaws, but I doubt Lucasarts has even half the talent to pull that off again...

Probably not, since Lucasarts doesn't exist anymore, not as a developer at least. Afaik, it still holds the IP tho, which it can license out. But, you know, pipedream.

How is Dying Light a bad game? For someone who cares so much about gameplay, you seem to somehow dislike a game that the only reason to play it is for the satisfying gameplay and probably has some of the most polished around.

And I don't think we really need a sequel. The game was a one-trick pony and a damn good one at that.

Chimpzy:

Squilookle:

Probably not, since Lucasarts doesn't exist anymore, not as a developer at least. Afaik, it still holds the IP tho, which it can license out. But, you know, pipedream.

Yeah, the time for that would have been back in the late 1990's or early 2000's, or at least before the "Stars Wars games and nothing but" attitude set in over there and drove the quality into the ground. And I say that as someone who bought and played almost every game they ever made during their golden age in the 1990's.

Besides, Outlaws stands fine on it's own. It doesn't need a sequel. Especially not the almost inevitable sequel story of "The Daughter from the first game is now grown up and goes on a murder rampage to avenge her father for some reason" because that's the laziest and therefore most likely direction a new team would go with it.

Elfgore:
How is Dying Light a bad game? For someone who cares so much about gameplay, you seem to somehow dislike a game that the only reason to play it is for the satisfying gameplay and probably has some of the most polished around.

And I don't think we really need a sequel. The game was a one-trick pony and a damn good one at that.

This is why I never take B-Cell seriously, nor rarely reply to any topics he made. As for Call of Juarez, if the next one is arcade style like the last game, I'd be interested.

Squilookle:
Honestly I'd much rather have a sequel to Gun- at least that makes the Wild West look fun to be in...

0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJO6zKGwxHo

Gun was the first western game that really captured the feel of "being there". I'd love to see another one, but really after RDR2 and its captivating online component, the bar is near-unattainably high.

hanselthecaretaker:
but really after RDR2 and its captivating online component, the bar is near-unattainably high.

It does feel like there's some sort of invisible barrier to entry now caused by RDR2.

Everything else will just feel like a low budget version of it, because it'd be impossible to NOT be a low budget version of it.

I'd rather play Outlaws over this series.

Well, not one of any of the other Call of Juarez games were memorable in any way sooo........ keep trying?

While I do enjoy the wild west aesthetic, I feel its setting inherently translates to less varied gunplay. You're kinda stuck to the period variety of weapons - revolvers, lever action rifles and such. While I did like how Gunslinger kinda 'translated' modern rapidfire weapons with dual wielding quickshooters and whatnot to create variety, it does get a bit dull. Stuff like double action high powered revolvers also play very functionally similar to like a bolt action rifle.

I did enjoy Gunslinger's approach to storytelling, with the unreliable narrator and the levels warping and rebuilding themselves based on how he changed the story or remembered things wrong. But it's not going to seem anywhere near as new in a second game.

Gunslinger was a nice fun short ride and I'm not sure if we actually need more, or if more will even do it any service.

MrBoBo:

Ignore the entire series and just play Gunslinger.

its more closer to old school arcade game. try it cup.

B-Cell:

MrBoBo:

Ignore the entire series and just play Gunslinger.

its more closer to old school arcade game. try it cup.

But is it as close to an old school arcade game as an actual old school arcade game?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here