Poll: October is nearly here. Are you planning on a spooky gaming theme?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I realized that every year around this time I start gravitating towards horror/spooky games. Probably because it's the closest thing to a Halloween tradition to me, since I don't go to Halloween parties and never really cared to dress up in costume(I did serve in the military for 9 years. That felt like putting on Costume every day). The fact it's getting cold and dark(and rainy, since I live in the Pacific Northwest) also helps the mood.

Currently my plans for October are:(In no particular Order)

-Salt and Sanctuary(because I still haven't played it and I want to)
-Replaying INSIDE
-Replaying Little Nightmares(and the DLC chapters, which I haven't played yet)
-Replaying The Last Door, which has a special place in my heart.
-Maybe getting back into Sunless Sea
-Maybe starting Dark Souls 3, depending on how I feel after Salt and Sanctuary. I still haven't played that one either but considering it's far longer then the other games(other then sunless sea) puts it at the end of the list.

What about you guys? Are you planning on doing Horror/Spooky games this month and if so, which ones?

I've got a bunch of Resident Evil games that I never finished, and some that I did. I'm going to play through those:
-Resident Evil (remake): Jill, Normal
-Resident Evil 2 (original): Claire A/Leon B, Normal
-Resident Evil 4: Normal
-Resident Evil 7: Normal
-Resident Evil 2 (remake): Claire 1st/Leon 2nd, Standard

If I still have time after that, then I'll play F.E.A.R.

I'll be playing a lot of code vein which is vampire themed so kinda fits the horror theme but is more gory than scary. Outside of that I may get the last corpse party game, those are all very terrifying.

I don't do Halloween, and don't do spooky games.

So ah... no.

Dreiko:
Outside of that I may get the last corpse party game, those are all very terrifying.

Isn't Corpse Party where that "butter up my pooper real good" meme came from? Having a hard time thinking of that as scary.

I've been meaning to play get back into Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for a long time. I started it on Halloween around 6 years ago and lost interest, I should really finish it one day.

Fear & Fear Extraction Point
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil 1 Remake
Evil Within 2
Devil May Cry 1

Chimpzy:

Dreiko:
Outside of that I may get the last corpse party game, those are all very terrifying.

Isn't Corpse Party where that "butter up my pooper real good" meme came from? Having a hard time thinking of that as scary.

Corpse Party is scary in the silent hill sort of way where you are made paranoid and just walking down empty corridors is terrifying. It's the one thing that has managed to capture that feel the best ever since Konami went to hell and Silent Hill became a bad series. I don't wanna spoil stuff but I'll just say it does psychological horror just right and in the context of the game a lot of things that you'd be able to make memes of out of context are terrifying.

Think of it this way, it's so good at making you paranoid that even that quote you put up manages to be highly disturbing and not just hilarious.

I've been fucking trying, nothing is sticking though. Tried the Evil Within, found the PC controls to be atrocious and couldn't make it twenty minutes in. Haven't been in the mood to play Vampyr. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a bit too old for my tastes. I'm also too much of a wimp to play Condemned: Criminal Origins.

I guess a game called Moons of Madness is coming out around that time. It seems to be SOMA, but in space. Might give that a go.

Elfgore:
I've been fucking trying, nothing is sticking though. Tried the Evil Within, found the PC controls to be atrocious and couldn't make it twenty minutes in. Haven't been in the mood to play Vampyr. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a bit too old for my tastes. I'm also too much of a wimp to play Condemned: Criminal Origins.

I guess a game called Moons of Madness is coming out around that time. It seems to be SOMA, but in space. Might give that a go.

I recommend Evil Within 2. It's more PC friendly, and has better characterization and story. If you can't get the 1st game to run, just snag a copy of the PS4/XONE version and make sure to get all of the updates. If that is not available to you, just YouTube the story of the EW1, and jump straight in to 2.

Huh. Not sure this year. Last year I pretty much only did that Call of Cthulhu game as my spooky game.

My October this year is jam packed. I'm on the fence about a local D&D convention that I just found out is going on next weekend, plus I have my monthly call of cthulhu LARP on a friday, plus I have one maybe even two halloween parties to go to...I've got a lot to do and so little free time.

Although, this would be a perfect excuse to boot up the Resident Evil Remakes I picked up on sale this summer.

Drathnoxis:
I've been meaning to play get back into Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for a long time. I started it on Halloween around 6 years ago and lost interest, I should really finish it one day.

I hope you do. It's a damn good game.

I'm not American so i don't give a crap about Halloween

I picked up Evil Within 2 and never got around playing it, so maybe that.
Recently replayed RE4 and the REmake with both Jill & Chris so I'm a bit tapped out of survival horror at the moment.

I just started playing Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is kind of Halloween themed. It's kind of annoying because when I stop after I've been playing a while I find I want to keep doing things in time to a beat. Like, I'll start scrolling my mouse back and forth while I'm trying to read a thread or something.

Elfgore:

There is an older point and click called the White Chamber that's nice and creepy, you might want to check out, plus its free.
http://studiotrophis.com/site/projects/thewhitechamber

There is also the Resident Evil 2 remake, it seriously makes zombies tense again. Or Resident Evil 7 which is pretty fantastic for the first 3/4ths and the end isn't bad, it just loses some of the tenseness and becomes overly actiony.

There is also Lost in Vivo which from what I hear is like Silent Hill but an fps.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/963710/Lost_in_Vivo/

Or if you like the doom games then you might want to try the mod for it called 'Unloved'
https://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons/unloved
Its a fantastically atmospheric mod but just play it on one of the easier difficulties since it becomes really slaughter map at the higher ones with stupidly huge hordes that becomes more annoying then fun to fight.

Worgen:
There is also the Resident Evil 2 remake, it seriously makes zombies tense again. Or Resident Evil 7 which is pretty fantastic for the first 3/4ths and the end isn't bad, it just loses some of the tenseness and becomes overly actiony.

Not saying it's not true, but here's what I don't get about this criticism: Name one Resident Evil game that doesn't do that.

If I can wrench my way away from The Outer Worlds (provided it releases on time) it has been a few Halloweens since I replayed Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. I have that on my Halloween circuit along with Amnesia: Dark Descent, Silent Hill 2 and Shattered Memories, Dead Space, and RE 4. So its 4 - 5 years or so between each one on the circuit.

Since OP doesn't mention video games, specifically, I'll be DM'ing a one-shot Ravenloft campaign on Halloween with some friends.

It's been almost 3 years since our schedules the stars aligned enough to squeeze in a nice fat session, so I'm looking forward to it.

leet_x1337:

Worgen:

Not saying it's not true, but here's what I don't get about this criticism: Name one Resident Evil game that doesn't do that.

You mean get overly actiony? Pretty much none of them, but Resident Evil 7 doesn't do it quite as well as the other ones. The end game weapons you get don't feel quite as good as your earlier ones. In most of them the action part tends to be pretty cathartic, but in 7... just doesn't quite work as well.

Worgen:
The end game weapons you get don't feel quite as good as your earlier ones. In most of them the action part tends to be pretty cathartic, but in 7... just doesn't quite work as well.

Right. I guess I can see that, though I don't really agree with it; guess it's unusual that I like the SMG and remote bombs. Have a nice day, good sir.

Yoshi178:

I don't celebrate it either but surely you can appreciate the idea of October being an appropriate time for spooky-ish games?

leet_x1337:

Worgen:
The end game weapons you get don't feel quite as good as your earlier ones. In most of them the action part tends to be pretty cathartic, but in 7... just doesn't quite work as well.

Right. I guess I can see that, though I don't really agree with it; guess it's unusual that I like the SMG and remote bombs. Have a nice day, good sir.

The remote bombs were fun but the SMG just felt weak. Like, I get that for game balance its shots cant be as powerful as the pistol, despite them both using the same caliber rounds, but it just felt like you were spitting on the enemy with it. Nothing as meaty and satisfying as the shotgun.

Drathnoxis:
I just started playing Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is kind of Halloween themed. It's kind of annoying because when I stop after I've been playing a while I find I want to keep doing things in time to a beat. Like, I'll start scrolling my mouse back and forth while I'm trying to read a thread or something.

So it's not just me then, huh? XD

Probably I'll finally play Until Dawn. Afterwards I'll give it a replay to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and maybe Alien Isolation or SOMA. Or even finally finish RE7 or RE4. Oh, I just remembered I have Little Nightmares in Switch for this occasion.

I recently got a copy of Dead By Daylight. Probably will put some time into that. Might try my hand again at completing Amnesia too (I think I stopped shortly after the water bit, last time). Ooh, I also have Layers of Fear, Observer and the Devil May Cry HD Collection through Twitch, come to think of it. Might have to actually give those a whirl.

Dalisclock:

Yoshi178:

I don't celebrate it either but surely you can appreciate the idea of October being an appropriate time for spooky-ish games?

What's inherently spooky about the 10th month of the year?

I think I might fire up Destiny 2 again and see what kind of Halloween event they have this year. Last year's event was fun for a short while.

bluegate:

Dalisclock:

Yoshi178:

In the northern hemisphere? The light fades from the world, with the sun being reluctant to rise and eager to flee the sky. The trees transform, seemingly set ablaze as their vibrant greens give way to burning red, orange and yellow. The plants themselves seem fearful of this change, as they start shedding this unnatural foliage, leaving skeletal branches that still beckon in the breeze...

I'm actually playing through Darksiders on Switch right now and will be doing my annual Symphony of The Night playthrough sometime in October.

bluegate:

Dalisclock:

Yoshi178:

I think I might fire up Destiny 2 again and see what kind of Halloween event they have this year. Last year's event was fun for a short while.

For the ancient Celts(where the roots of modern Halloween started) it was considered a time when the veil between the world of the living and the world of the dead was at its thinnest. A transitional period when the days were getting shorter and the specter of winter was fast approaching.

The actual history behind holidays like Halloween and Christmas are fascinating, both having their origins with old Pagan beliefs.

I miiiiiiiight boot up SCP Containment Breach at least once and see how it's been progressing over the years, but besides that, nah. I love Halloween and the spooky season, but spooky games fuck me up

Hhm... I do have Death Mark still sitting around without me having played it much... I should also finally finish Corpse Party Blood Drive but I chickened out a bit into it because of Ayumi running around that hell hole without Yoshiki is just begging for bad news. I also have a horror game on my DS that I should continue playing... you may be noticing a theme here but I used to actually finish horror games when I set my mind to them but it seems the problem of falling off of games in the modern era just hits horror games harder.

Hmm. Hadn't particularly thought about it but now you mention it I may revisit RDR's Undead Nightmare campaign. Could possibly get round to finally finishing Alien: Isolation too. And come to think of it games like Overwatch and Rainbow Six: Siege tend to do seasonal playlists so will probably have some suitably themed offerings.

Other than that a friend of mine has her birthday over Halloween. Is drinking fluorescent shots until they come out of your nose considered spooky? ;D

Grouchy Imp:

Other than that a friend of mine has her birthday over Halloween. Is drinking fluorescent shots until they come out of your nose considered spooky? ;D

Hey, I'm not gonna tell you're wrong. That's between you and your liver.

Your toilet might look pretty spooky once it's glowing in the dark, though. :)

I guess I didn't think about it when I started, but Celeste(which I'm getting close to finished with) kinda fits the theme. Notably the Mirror Temple, which feels like it could have been pulled out of one of the creepier parts of Bloodborne(which is saying something). Particulary since it(and maybe the mountain itself) seems to key off negative thoughts and feelings and makes them tangiable.

I think I played all my spooky games :( plus nothing really feels like fear in entertainment anymore when all I need to do is not take medication, read more news than usual and imagine what life will be like in a decade or two, assuming one lives that long. Hell, waking up into the same consciousness each day is a nightmare in of itself!

Oh wait, there's still...Costume..Quest...2? Perhaps the pure uncut essence of 'Twee' will be enough to shit myself into oblivion. Probably shouldn't repeat that sentence to the psychiatrist though. Alright, it's the only Halloween thing left, so it shall be. Tweeeee! I'll balance it out with the reading latest church scandals if must.

Each october past couple of last years i've been scratching off Silent Hill games from my backlog.

Unfortunately, i realize i've ran out of the good ones last year. So i dunno... RE it is, or maybe i replay 2 or 3 again.

Maybe I'll finally get around to playing SOMA.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here