Have we now passed the trend of "dumbing games down to make them more accessible"

Pages PREV 1 2

Dreiko:
Fighting games are more dumbed down than back in the ps3 days.

I wouldn't say that's a negative. It's now bigger than it's ever been where people focus more of strategy than gaining even a competent execution. Easy to get into, hard to master is a pretty good design motto.

Wouldn't put them in the same label as something like Fear 2 or Crysis 2 where the entire game is compromised.

MrBoBo:

Dreiko:
Fighting games are more dumbed down than back in the ps3 days.

I wouldn't say that's a negative. It's now bigger than it's ever been where people focus more of strategy than gaining even a competent execution. Easy to get into, hard to master is a pretty good design motto.

Wouldn't put them in the same label as something like Fear 2 or Crysis 2 where the entire game is compromised.

Ideally, having variety is good. Something like the upcoming Granblue Versus which appeals to phone game people being simplified is fine since it aims to introduce the genre to completely green people. At the same time, I see no reason why something like Blazblue Cross Tag Battle needs to be dumbed down for the rwby fans since presumably the fans of all the franchises who comprise it outside of RWBY like them for how they played (I actually am a fan of all of them outside of Akatsuki Blitzkampf, yes even Arcana heart, so I know! :P)

So yeah, striking a balance is good, things are going towards the paradigm of misunderstanding easy inputs for easy game too much right now but the pendulum will swing the other way since no matter how easy your inputs are in fighters you still will need to know how to block and how to OS against fuzzy crossups and tech throws and what have you.

The single hope which is uncompromising is the upcoming under night in birth game. It looks just like how we love it. Here's hoping the new GG isn't too much like fighterz/granblue either. (Axl looking fine btw, finally using his time travel powers)

Dalisclock:

Elfgore:
The better word to use is streamlining. Since sometimes, it vastly improves the game. Like in the case of Mass Effect, streamlining is an improvement. One of the most criticized aspects of Mass Effect 1 was how horrendous the inventory system was. There was just way to many skills that could have easily been merged. Do I think the all or nothing approach was needed? No, but it was an improvement in my eyes when they streamlined it. I actually dislike Andromeda since they brought way too much of that stuff back.

What makes you think any of the unreleased games are going to be making a comeback to the "good 'ole days"? They look no different than what we have now.

Thank you for bringing that up. Every time I play ME1, I'm reminded how the Inventory system is a giant PITA and how much I appreciated ME2 changing it out for something better.

Also, speaking of complexity, anyone ever played a game called "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura"? Because I've tried several times and the sheer complexity of the stat and character screen, coupled with the difficulty of the starter area if you didn't allocate your stats correctly, has lead to me restarting again and again trying to build a decent, viable character. It's a game I'd love to play, but the interface and character skill upgrades are FAR too complex for their own good. It's no wonder the game ended up fading into obscurity.

I haven't thought about Arcanum in friggin ages. It's definitely rough to start, although I seem to remember I found if you stat dump into one area you can just sort of smash through the early area and then come back. This is all decade old memories but I believe the game map is so friggin massive and there's so much garbage to do that its basically expected that you say "fuck it" to basically anything that doesn't come easy, and later on you can stat up enough to come back if you want. That said, a quick google search confirms that it actually can take 30 real world hours to cross the map, which explains why I never EVER went back to do shit.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here