Dark Souls Remastered - The Original is Not the Best

Pages PREV 1 2

Aiddon:

Nedoras:

Mauler is a bit of a joke of a person. He's one of those people who stress that they only do "objective" critiques and that he has a very big brain for doing so. Totally normal and not full of himself. And that nine hour response video series is a result of him definitely not being mad.

As for the topic itself, I'll keep it short and just say that DS1's early level/world design is honestly all that the game really did well....and even that falls off a cliff after you get the Lordvessel for a few reasons. I enjoyed DS1, but so many flaws I've seen attributed to other games in the series easily apply to 1 as well. They just get ignored because of the world design in the first "half" of the game. People look back at 1 in a very blinkered way. I love the series and have put a stupid amount of time into each of the games, but DS1 is just not all that great. Out of all of them, I've gone back to it the least.

My favorite is probably 2 because it was by far the most experimental and I found the most interesting from a narrative and thematic perspective. It's partly why I found DS3 to be a letdown; instead of doing an interesting shakeup, it just went back to pandering to DS1 and while also really wanting to be Bloodborne. Miyazaki had clearly run out of steam with the series by then

Honestly my favorite is 2 as well. It's a very flawed game that I wish they had more time to work on, but I feel like it's strengths make up for those flaws. The narrative, the themes, the NPCs, the build variety, and the pacing of the game are fantastic. Hell, I'm replaying it again right now and quite enjoying it.

DS3 definitely felt lazy when it came to the world itself. It was a whole lot of "remember DS1?" followed up by "pst, hey, this may be connected to Bloodborne". Most of the NPCs felt lifeless and dull too. The only highlight of the game for me was seeing the result of Yggdrasil being torn to bits by the linking of the flame happening over and over again. It was really fitting to fight the Soul of Cinder in the decayed stump of the World Tree, with all of the worlds that it's roots touched being mashed together into a dying clump surrounding it. Almost as if it couldn't take it anymore, and just wanted to die.

Dansen:

-Go to the giant black smith in Anor Londo for boss weapons. I don't know how you missed him unless you just bee lined straight to O&S and didn't explore. You need to have a base weapon upgraded to the right level to make them as well as the boss soul.

I missed Andre the Blacksmith before reaching Anor Londo. I also tend to search AFTER I defeated bosses back then, so missing the giant Blacksmith was an easy thing. This taught me to search first in Dark Souls games

Nedoras:

It was a whole lot of "remember DS1?" followed up by "pst, hey, this may be connected to Bloodborne".

Where was this? There was no connection to BB in DS3. Miyazaki has stated they're unconnected. The supposed link is only ever posited by fans, not devs.

Most of the NPCs felt lifeless and dull too.

Shame you felt that way. I really liked Hawkwood, Yoel, Eygon and Lothric.

It had far more memorable and distinct characters than DS2 imo. Except Sweet Shalquoir, who is obviously the greatest Souls character.

trunkage:
I missed Andre the Blacksmith before reaching Anor Londo. I also tend to search AFTER I defeated bosses back then, so missing the giant Blacksmith was an easy thing. This taught me to search first in Dark Souls games

I'm pretty sure you have to pass directly in front of the Giant Blacksmith in order to progress in Anor Londo. You pass with him about 2 metres away, and he's making a racket smacking an anvil. He must be the hardest character to miss.

Silvanus:

trunkage:

I'm pretty sure you have to pass directly in front of the Giant Blacksmith in order to progress in Anor Londo. You pass with him about 2 metres away, and he's making a racket smacking an anvil. He must be the hardest character to miss.

Nope, the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo is completely miss-able. Once you pass the archers and work your way to the main hall, at the opposite end of the hall from the O&S fog wall is the main gate which, once opened, creates a straight run from the first bonfire to the boss. However, one would basically have to actively NOT explore to miss the entire "left side" of the area with the blacksmith; I'd wager it's highly unlikely someone who's paying any level of attention or cared at all about the game they were playing would mis him.

Silvanus:

Nedoras:

It was a whole lot of "remember DS1?" followed up by "pst, hey, this may be connected to Bloodborne".

Where was this? There was no connection to BB in DS3. Miyazaki has stated they're unconnected. The supposed link is only ever posited by fans, not devs.

Most of the NPCs felt lifeless and dull too.

Shame you felt that way. I really liked Hawkwood, Yoel, Eygon and Lothric.

It had far more memorable and distinct characters than DS2 imo. Except Sweet Shalquoir, who is obviously the greatest Souls character.

I know they've stated that they're not, I didn't say that they officially were. But there are plenty of winks and nods to it in DS3, to where even though they say that, connections can be made. It was clearly intentional, even if the connections aren't official. Or it could be that they just share a few themes. But those shared themes are rather noticeable, as are the connections to DS1. I dunno. I suppose I just wanted them to go in a different direction. I still loved the game though, it was great.

There are NPCs that I did like in 3, it's just I didn't find many of them to be memorable. Maybe lifeless and dull were the wrong words. I talked to a friend about this the other day and I can't really put my finger on why I didn't care for so many of the NPCs in 3. And yes, Shalquoir is the best Souls character period.

This is why I don't want a Demon's Souls Remaster, modern eyes will be too harsh to a game i love the memory of

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here